IMDb > "Perception" (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Perception"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Perception" More at IMDbPro »

I think its great!

Author: vnklinger2003 from United States
11 September 2012

I would have to disagree with some of the posts.. Its not like the mentalist.. It reminds me of A beautiful Mind. I think its fascinating and the there is a story line. After watching last nights episode, I'm hooked, I already anxiously awaiting for next weeks last episode. I think that Eric character is extremely convincing. I predict that he will win an Emmy for this role. I also, like how the other characters are convincing enough to allow Eric role to be completely revealed. I think there is more to this storyline and we will find out next season.. I also predict that due to viewers ADD the series will only last about 3 or 4 seasons. I could watch it forever because I have always been fascinated by the human mind. I love it!

Excellent

Author: Invister D
5 August 2012

First of all, if you hate the same old crime TV shows where there's a guy with a girl solving puzzles and the story is far-fetched to 40 minutes of run-time, yes, you'll be disappointed to watch this show and probably rate it 5-6 stars, which is not the case for people like me. I think comedy and crime don't mix; so the TV series like castle and white collar are overrated and I've hardly seen an another episode of those.

What different in this TV show is that it is quite focused on the Professor who needs his mind kept busy with riddles and cases that eventually makes him go more bonkers and makes the show interesting.

The actor is a simple guy, he doesn't have flair and styles like Dr Lightman from Lie to Me or the Sherlock Holmes actor (these two shows are the top rated in my list). What I like about him is his simplicity and crazy behavior in public that most of us can't afford to have.

The FBI agent is a good actor too, but too cute to look like an agent. I enjoy her character as well. The other interesting character is the Professor's assistant who throws mild tantrums too, which is quite fun to watch.

I love this show and everyone else should too. Thanks.

i am really enjoying this..

Author: Harindu Ishan
17 July 2013

i never thought this show had a chance, specially with the bad pilot reviews and comparisons. but after the first season, i should say this show seems to be pretty well written, and the actors do a pretty good job as well.funny thing is how they makes the audience care about a character, which on paper looks pretty much boring.what i find most entertaining is the way they opens up with Daniel doing a lecture about something which ultimately is all about the case he's going to be involved, and warping up with the same one.

anyone one who haven't seen this and are interested in this kind of shows, should give this a chance. the show is unique in its own way and it's one of those shows that makes you a little bit smarter at the end of each episode.

Monk Meets A Beautiful Mind Meets House at Bones

Author: Maggie A (maggieameanderings) from Pensacola, FL
26 July 2012

A neuroscientist who's apparently afflicted with BOTH schizophrenia (he sees imaginary people a la A Beautiful Mind) and obsessive-compulsive disorder (he can't stand his routine being disrupted a la Monk) who is fascinated by puzzles and can't leave one unsolved (a la House) works as a civilian adviser with an attractive FBI agent (a la Bones) to solve crimes. But despite the fact that it's so obviously derivative and so obvious what it's derived from, I've seen two episodes so far and like it well enough to tune back in.

The highlight of the show is the charming, likable and vulnerable portrayal by Eric McCormack as the brilliant but reality challenged, Dr. Daniel Pierce. The murder mystery of the first two episodes was reasonably well written with a combination of "that was obvious" and "I didn't see that coming." And it's a delight to see LeVar Burton again in his guest star role of the dean of the university. However, Rachel Leigh Cook as FBI agent Kate Moretti is nothing special. She's pretty and perky and obstinate and will defy her bosses to finish a case; therefore, she's completely standard TV fare and Cook's portrayal doesn't lift her beyond standard TV fare.

It's only been two episodes, but I don't think that Perception is going to shape up to be great TV. However, so far it's been a decent show and has a higher level of intelligence than a lot of the shows out there. It expects the viewer to pay attention and doesn't dumb things down. If it keeps up at this level, Perception will be worth tuning into for an hour of week if you're fond of the TV genre of "socially inept genius investigator."

reality-perception

Author: nadiuskadeinoteron from argentina
1 August 2013

Pierce's character is well written, so well that it resembles some people who are actually suffering from some kind of mental illness, people i know. No, i'ts nothing like "A Beautiful Mind", in which the character had these hallucinations, and other episodes not related to reality at all. On the contrary, Pierce's manifestations are connected to reality, to his perception of reality. So this show is about the quite interesting relation reality-perception, not even about madness. And that is one of the most interesting subject of psychological and philosophical history. I've never seen a show like this, entirely from a so called "crazy" person's perspective. And, i insist, his own, unique form of perception. It reminds me of English idealism, a philosophical theory about the way we access reality and more important,how can we determine what reality is.

I love this show!

Author: morningstar368 from Canada
30 July 2013

I really like this show. The way things are perceived by Daniel and the things that I am learning from the neuroscience point of view are intriguing. I can't wait for a new episode to learn more!

The one character/actor I am not particularly fond of is Scott Wolf. I am not sure if it is an useless character or I just don't like the actor. A combination of both perhaps. The other character which is needed but could be written differently is the FBI agent. As well, I find Rachel Leigh Cook's acting quite dull. I am just not drawn in by her at all; whereas, Kelly Rowan is fabulous in her role.

A good part this show is fascinating and Eric McCormack is extremely convincing. He plays it beautifully! A little tweaking on Agent Moretti and Donnie Ryan and some better writing and we'll have a real winner!!!!

Main Character us good but not much else

Author: slykron from dropdead1
11 August 2012

I watch a lot of TV and have this show DVR'ed and watch it as a filler show when nothing else catches my fancy. The concept is outstanding but not original. Its as I say typical TV filler. The problem with this show is casting. It uses a lot of big words and fancy medical jargon to make Eric McCormack seem really smart but times sounds like he just googled it off wikipedia. It was posted on the internet it must be true.

Eric McCormack as a one man show this is about all the show has going for it. His teaching and executive assistant Arjay Smith play well together but everyone else is dismal.

The young FBI agent is flat and in my opinion to young to be seriously considered anything more than fluff and adds absolutely nothing to the script. Even the guy that plays her bar tending father adds more to the show.

I really found that having Lavar Burton play a complete moron was not only stupid but offensive. Lavar as an inept college dean give me a break that really JUMPS THE SHARK.

I really have nothing invested in this show and if its renewed I may or may not watch if my DVR continue recording it or no. It concept seemed intriguing for the first couple of episodes but by the 3rd week its kind of depressing and sad. Its a mash-up of "bones" meets "monk" meets "law and order" at "general hospital" while "Joan of Arcadia" solve mysteries all while talking to them self.

Good show

Author: Ewslavens from United States
7 August 2012

Iove this show for many reason first because it has a nice mix of real science and mystery my favorite example of this is when Daniel is talking to a man in a coma and tells him to think about throwing a baseball for yes and then sing the national anthem for no and then almost solves the case until of course the man has a seizure just one of the reasons I love this show. The second reason is the humor Dr. Pierce is always witty when it comes to his comebacks in one episode agent moretti's partner is making fun of Daniel when Daniel says to moretti "have you ever requested a different partner" and for some reason I just find stuff like that really funny. Reason number 3 is the mystery my favorite episode is cypher when there is a code in the news paper and Daniel tries to communicate with the killer through that. This show is always really interesting to watch and to see the different methods used to solve crime, but is also interesting in the sense that Daniel is crazy and has hallucinations and you never know if who he is talking to is real or not

An Inspiring,Motivating And Great TV Show!

Author: James Yang from Taiwan
10 July 2013

At the moment when I saw this New TV series I actually doubt a second to struggle whether I want to watch it,And in the end of the day I watch it then strange things happens,I start to following every next episode.

Sometimes..Okay I must admit I do this very often and that is take some note or word or sentences or even little stuff that can inspire me or motivating me.

In my mind,If some TV show that can be motivating or inspire people to understanding whatever the viewer connected at the moment then I can say it out very very loudly THIS IS A FREAKING DAMN GOOD SHOW!

And You Can't miss it!

Although in this TV show there's a lot actor I don't know before,but I knew it now and I actually likes them.

But I think the most important man who made this Awesome show that man must to be who wrote this script and who found the right actors.

Really good scientific crime drama.

Author: Shopaholic35 from Australia
23 August 2014

I must confess, before I even watched the show I wanted to like it. I was rooting for Eric McCormack to succeed in this role as his successes have been few and far between since Will & Grace ended. You also have Rachael Leigh Cook who has been plummeting since she first starred in the teen hit She's All That. Then finally you have Kelly Rowan who played Kirsten Cohen on The O.C. and hasn't been in much since. All three have been in generational hits and watching Perception leaves you with a feeling of nostalgia. You want them to succeed so you can get a second round of weekly viewing from them.

Well good news. The show is actually very good and definitely worth watching. It will never be loved by the masses but they have created an interesting crime drama that will keep you intrigued. It seems to be based on scientific theory instead of criminal investigation but with a weird twist. You never really know what's real and what's not. It really is all about perception.