IMDb > Alex Cross (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Alex Cross

Alex Cross More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 16: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Poor production values

Author: lbmoniz
10 May 2014

Lacks the class and drama of previous efforts with Morgan Freeman who is a superior actor. I guess being succinct isn't allowed so I'll have to repeat these lines over again. Lacks the class and drama of previous efforts with Morgan Freeman who is a superior actor. Lacks the class and drama of previous efforts with Morgan Freeman who is a superior actor. Lacks the class and drama of previous efforts with Morgan Freeman who is a superior actor. Lacks the class and drama of previous efforts with Morgan Freeman who is a superior actor. Lacks the class and drama of previous efforts with Morgan Freeman who is a superior actor.

Poor Acting And Screenplay

Author: Desertman84 from United States
9 March 2014

Alex Cross is a crime thriller that stars Tyler Perry in the title role.It tells a story about how Cross meets his match in the Picasso,portrayed by Matthew Fox. This is the third film that features the character Alex Cross, the main character in a series of novels by James Patterson.The movie was was adapted from the novel "Cross," written by screenwriters Marc Moss and Kerry Williamson.It was directed Rob Cohen.

In the film,Cross' main target is a psycho named Picasso, a serial killer who tortures and mutilates his victims. Picasso is a bellicose suit-wearing monster who early on takes off his jacket and tie and reveals the psychopath within. When Cross studies the crime scenes he's left and watches as Picasso continue killing innocents around town.But when the mission gets personal,he is pushed to the edge of his moral and psychological limit.

It is too bad that Tyler Moore does not hold a candle to the performance of Morgan Freeman,who performed Alex Cross in the two previous movies namely,Kiss the Girls and Along Came a Spider.Added to that,the story is dull,predictable and boring.It is far from interesting as it is clichéd and has an unbearable dialogue.Added to that,the action scenes does not contribute to make the film even better.Skip this one.

Tyler Perry - Sign of Mediocrity

Author: imdb-45 from New York
6 March 2014

This film is an embarrassment. It makes B movies look like top notch thrillers. Everything is wrong with this film, exaggerated and unnatural, like almost everything I've seen Tyler Perry produce. The script is predictable and laughable. There is no chemistry between the actors and the dialog is stilted, awkward and difficult to hear.

Perry's character, Alex Cross, is a psychic genius. He can tell what went on at a scene just by his very presence. He knows one man did everything because... well... he's just so darn smart. He has the same cool demeanor the entire film and he's just not a credible character.

The worst part is that there are no twists that can't be seen a mile away and the film plays out from beginning to end without surprises. A serial killer wants to take out everyone and now it's up to our resident genius to prevent that from happening. Even the mediocre "Along Came a Spider" which featured Morgan Freeman was miles ahead of this farce. This is the kind of film that goes straight to video and gets played late night on free TV channels, if you want to waste your time on this (but certainly not your money.)

Laughable

Author: stevenjsed from St Anthony, MN
22 February 2014

I wanted to give this movie a 0 out of 10 but the fact is that I laughed through most of it. If this movie was written as a comedy I would have given it an 8.

The script, the direction and the acting started out bad and got worse as the movie went on. If I had paid to see this movie I would have asked for my money back

I feel bad that I have to write 10 lines of text to have a review of a very bad movie published on IMDb, I am sure the producers and directors wanted to have a better finished product than this movie and I hope James Patterson got a lot of money for his part but they will need to change the main actors if there is going to be another Alex Cross movie. An 80 year old Morgan Freeman would make a more believable crime fighter than Tyler Perry does now.

The big man steps out of drag

Author: gradyharp from United States
21 February 2014

James Patterson's novels have given us some memorable characters and one of the more memorable is Dr Alex Cross, a homicide detective/psychologist with the Detroit Police Department. The always-popular Madea of Tyler Perry's creation steps out of the drag costume this time around and becomes a very credible Dr. Alex Cross: the transition is comfortable and encouraging for him as an actor.

Dr. Alex Cross (Tyler Perry) with the help of his aide Thomas Kane (Edward Burns) is on his last police duty to track down an assassin called Picasso (Matthew Fox), who's been torturing and killing rich businessmen in Detroit. When Cross' wife is killed by Picasso the mission becomes exceedingly personal, Cross is pushed to the edge of his moral and psychological limits to end this once and for all and from that point on the movie gains speed and is well resolved. There are some fine cameos by Cicely Tyson, Jean Reno, Chad Lindberg, Carmen Ejogo and Giancarlo Esposito.

The screenplay gets a bit self indulgent and sappy at times but the movie as a hole comes off well. Tyler Perry has more chutzpah than we've seen before.

A Drag Of A Detective With No Deduction

Author: LeonLouisRicci from United States
16 February 2014

Why, for All that is Holy, would You make a Movie about a Modern Day Sherlock Holmes with a Doctorate in Psychology who is an Analytical Detective by way of Being Police, and then Disregard all of that with a Brain Dead Script with Little Deduction and even Less Detecting. He is called Detective Doctor Cross Many Times just for Source Material Recognition.

But there is Action Movie Money to be Made so all of that Brainiac Stuff is too Cerebral for the Masses so no one will Notice. But they did. This Movie was a Disaster at the Box Office and Took a Critical Whipping on Most Posts.

So there. It should be a Lesson Learned but don't Hold Your Breath Expecting too many Complex Thrillers to come from Hollywood Anytime Soon. Aside from Lack of Intelligence in a Movie about an Intellectual Crime Fighter, the Action Parts of the Film are nothing worth Analysis Except in a Word or Two. Boring...Uneventful.

The Final Fight between our Hero and Villain is so Shaky Camera and the Image Bobs Up and Down so Frequently and So Fast that it Might just get the Award for the Shakiest Camera Scene Ever and that's No Mean Feat Considering the Competition.

This is a guy who can tell you had scrambled eggs for breakfast at a hundred yards.

Author: Ben Larson from Leesburg, FL
15 February 2014

Finally, a Tyler Perry movie that is actually funny. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

This is the third Alex Cross movie. It ranks fourth after Along Came a Spider and Kiss the Girls, both starring Morgan Freeman. You can't replace Matt Damon as Jason Bourne, and you can't replace Morgan Freeman as Alex Cross.

Weak acting, a sorry script, lousy directing; I could go on, but you get the idea.

It's a good thing we had The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2 and Battleship last year or this movie would have swept the worst movie awards.

Please don't tell me there is a sequel planned.

Silly, Cheesy and Nothing new

Author: Floated2
19 December 2013

As someone who has not read any of the novels, and had not known much about the character or of it's plot, I still found Alex Cross to be subpar. Alex Cross played itself as a brainless and not too interesting thriller with several cheesy moments and silly dialogue. From the beginning, the way Picasso (Matthew Fox) was introduced was hard to believe. His character came down to an MMA sporting event, simply hands one of the mangers money then is put up to fight an opponent in a matter of minutes. Although Picasso was the best part of the film and Matthew Fox played his character great at points but it wasn't enough to save the film.

Tyler Perry did a decent job as the serious lead of Alex Cross, but having not read the novels, I am not aware of how the character was supposed to act. I did enjoy some of the action scenes including Picasso. "Alex Cross" plays itself as the typical film where the villain and lead first make their encounter, then the villain continuously stalks the lead wanting something of his, the lead being scared and having to to avoid it, and up to the end the lead takes his revenge and eventually kills the villain. There was some violence towards women in the film specifically where Picasso kills Alex Cross's wife (whom was months due pregnant), which was a cheap shot for a "professional" villain in which it happened. This is where and why Alex Cross goes after Picasso, as it does make sense but it could have been done different as we have seen many revenge seeking films before.

Like many of these type of films, it suffers from an interesting plot, though it does have some okay scenes but it isn't enough to keep those truly entertained to not notice its flaws. I also didn't find much of the chemistry between Tyler Perry and Edward Burns. "Alex Cross" simply felt cheesy and could have been done with another lead and a far better script, with re writes.

Far from brilliant, but is it enjoyable, yes.

Author: superal1966 from United Kingdom
14 October 2013

I have never read any of the books and watched Alex Cross after reading a few of the reviews on here, so my expectations weren't too high, but I have to say I was pleasantly surprised.

There are without a doubt negatives in Alex Cross. There is little, if any, character development, and the relationship between Alex Cross and his partner feels more like Mel Gibson and Danny Glover than that of two childhood friends. The direction is awful in parts as well; one particular fight near the end of the film springs to mind where one would be forgiven for thinking the cameraman was drunk. It was pretty hard to see what was going on.

That said, it has a decent plot for an action film and makes for a good light and easy watch with a pizza and a few beers. Yes it is predictable, and no the acting isn't going to win any Academy Awards, but was it fun, yes.

I think some films are just meant to be enjoyed while overlooking any faults, and this is certainly one of them. If you can do that then I would recommend watching Alex Cross.

Cross of the list

Author: Prismark10 from United Kingdom
13 October 2013

I have never seen the Madea films so this is the first time I have seen Tyler Perry in action. As Alex Cross he is stepping into the shoes of Morgan Freeman in this reboot. Well Freeman is a hard act to follow although I am unsure as to who Perry's Cross is by the end of the film.

The main star of the film is actually Matthew Fox as the hired killer Picasso. He buffed himself up and lost a lot of weight as the callous and amoral killer.

The biggest problem with the film is the screenplay. It has more holes than Swiss cheese. It means the performers are actually hampered with nonsensical flaws.

At the beginning Fox in a suit pays someone to get involved in a MMA fight. The spectators laugh at him even though when he takes his shirt off he has ripped muscles and tattoos. Even his opponent a seasoned fighter does not twig this guy is a ringer and gets paralysed. His performance is so impressive that an Oriental woman at the fight takes a shine to him, takes him to her home and gets involved in bondage with dire results.

Yet at the end of the film we have a prospect of Perry (a slightly overweight actor best known for appearing in drag) going one on one with Fox even though we have seen at the beginning of the film what he did to the MMA fighter!

In between this Fox who is a gun for hire seemingly gets personal for no reason other than getting shot by the police who are actually just doing their job and takes a detour by going after Perry and his comrades.

Not to forget that one of Fox's hit depends on split second timing depending on a train being on a certain position whilst at the same time his intended victims just arriving somewhere else. How he has planned all this when he is busy going after Perry and co makes the mind boggle.

Also Jean Reno the guy who played the treacherous agent in the first Mission Impossible turns up for a few minutes as the main chief executive of a corporation whose employees are being targeted by the assassin and who is the ultimate target. I wonder who the actual mastermind will be!

This is not to say that its all daftly entertaining. Its just that this is a different Alex Cross as portrayed by Morgan Freeman. We are told Cross is clever and he has his 'Sherlock Holmes' moment at the beginning but very little as to how he arrives with his conclusions.

Its a mash up of an action film and something cerebral. It passes away the time but I doubt this will be a successful rebooted franchise.