IMDb > Alex Cross (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Alex Cross

Alex Cross More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 16: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Thirty years younger

Author: Iain McDougall from Bristol. England
10 March 2014

I'm sure Morgan Freeman wishes he was thirty years younger if he watches this effort with his characters' name attributed to it. This is nothing like 'Kiss the girls' or 'Along came a spider'. The performers can only actor with the script they're given but surely there must be somebody better than Tyler Perry? Idris Elba would have been perfect for this role.

This movie feels more like a spoof than an action thriller. Poorly acted by both lead players and the plot is so predictable that it's painful. The cast do their best with the material, 'Lost' star Matthew Fox appears to have invested a lot into the film, almost unrecognisable as the heavily tattooed, muscular psycho. His physical transformation can't disguise overacting, but at least it's a menacing performance.

A piece of garbage

Author: tchase98
26 January 2014

The only thing this movie has in common with the book Cross is the name of the character. From the location to the type of vehicle he drives is wrong. It might of been an enjoyable movie by itself with different characters. The whole motivation of the Alex Cross character is the fact that he doesn't know who his wife's killer is and why she was killed for many years. His partner is a giant of a black dude who is named Sugar. Cross doesn't have a profiling unit of his own within the police dept and Nana Mamma is his grandmother not his mother. The writers of this movie must of never of read a Alex Cross book before or at any time while writing this movie. I didn't mind the actor who is mostly known for dressing up as an old black woman playing Cross. He did a OK job. I'm surprised they didn't have him play Nana Mamma also. In the end this movie sucked!!!!

A darker Cross let down by its opening and closing action sequences

Author: jtindahouse from Nelson, New Zealand
16 January 2014

I'm a big fan of the 'Alex Cross' series of books. I feel they've weakened a little in recent years, but was still glad to hear they were rebooting the movie series. The most exciting part of the books for me was always the villains, The Wolf, The Mastermind, Casanova etc. and how Cross would be effected by them and ultimately track them down and confront them. This was key to the quality of each individual book to me and I felt the first two movies 'Kiss the Girls' and 'Along Came a Spider' were a real let down in this regard.

So I was glad to my find myself captivated by Matthew Fox's portrayal of Picasso. His opening scene demands your attention and his screen presence never lets up from that point on. The other thing I was always going to be interested in was how Tyler Perry went at portraying Cross. For me Morgan Freeman has always just been Cross. When I'm reading one of the books I can't help but picture him. He brought a calm serenity to the role that helped define Cross for me and I felt Perry had this as well, at least for the first half of the film.

The film really shows us two sides of Cross. At around the halfway stage, Cross's pregnant wife is shot dead by Picasso himself. This enrages Cross and sends him rogue along with his partner Thomas Kane who also has had his lover murdered by Picasso. From this point on we see a darker Cross, willing to use any means necessary to enact revenge upon his wife's killer. Perry's performance gets even better from this stage on. He nails the intensity needed to bring the audience in on the pain and drive he's feeling to achieve his ultimate goal.

The problems lie in the writing for the most part. The opening and closing action sequences just don't have any imagination. The car crash that sets up the closing one is also bizarre. Are we just supposed to believe this was a complete coincidence? Or has Cross displayed superhuman timing to achieve this, risking his friends life in the process? Incredibly lazy writing shown at that point.

It's far from perfect. The actress cast as Nana Mama was done so poorly. She had none of the charm that the character in the books has. She just came across as mean. The twist right at the end is one of the most foreseeable I can ever remember. One scene, from a big name actor, that added absolutely nothing to the story at the time = has to be a twist that he was in on it. More lazy writing.

But for all its faults its a very watchable movie. Perry and Fox are excellent and the story is entertaining, if flawed. I certainly have no objections to more additions being added to the series.

Perry acquits himself adequately; too bad he's a bit out of his element

Author: callanvass from victoria b.c canada
25 August 2013

Perry's foray into a more serious genre is a bit of a misfire to say the least. I've said it before. I quite like Tyler Perry. He's fearless and ambitious, but when I found out he was taking over for Morgan Freeman, that really made my head spin. It's certainly not a horrible performance. He tries his best, and he does nail one really emotional scene, but he was rather awkward to watch. You can also tell he had some serious influence into the making of this film. His character is religious. There are some decent chase scenes which provide excitement, and I was never truly bored. It was just there and nothing really special ever came out of it. Guys like Edward Burns & Jean Reno lend solid support for Perry. Matthew Fox is the best thing about this movie. He gives a very good performance as Picasso; very creepy stuff from him. I admire Perry's foray into another genre, but I don't think he is gonna usher in a new era for the Cross series like he was hoping for.

Final Thoughts: It's worth a look if you see it on cable, but I wouldn't pay money to see it. It's pretty mediocre stuff when all is said and done. You could do a lot worse, but you could also do much better. Watch Kiss The Girls if you wanna see a decent Cross film.

4.5/10

Are you kidding me? Such a disappointment

Author: Enjoy Movies from United States
6 March 2013

***Spoiler Alert***First, this should have been rated R. There was torture of women with drugs and extremely violent. Aside from that, the flow of the movie was ridiculous. Right after Cross's wife is murdered, he doesn't go straight after the killer, he pauses to have a public funeral first with all of his family and he himself a target. It ruins the flow of the movie and is so insane you can no longer suspend belief to enjoy the film. The scene between Perry and Tyson could have been extraordinary, but it is ruined with poor writing. And then the last scene between Cross despite them both losing the loves of their lives, they try to make the scene a distastefully upbeat. The movie could have been a good thriller, but those involved puked all over it.

Just a Very Good Cop vs. Serial Assassin Thriller

Author: doug_park2001 from United States
20 June 2013

ALEX CROSS has all the ingredients we expect in a film of its sort: an engaging plot-line, a criminal we love to hate and want to see "get his," harrowing chase scenes, a couple of real surprises, etc. It also has several of the corninesses and unlikelihoods that are usually found in a film of this genre, but oh well.

Tyler Perry plays the role of the lead character, a combination psychologist-profiler-homicide detective, very naturally, and the character he plays is better developed than those in many thrillers. Matthew Fox is similarly good in the role of the psychopathic bad guy. Most of the supporting cast play their roles quite believably: There are some truly interesting characters in this film, e.g., Cicely Tyson as "Nana Mama."

Notably, ALEX CROSS succeeds in being rivetingly disturbing without a lot of gore, ultra-violence, or any serious sex/nudity to spice the cake (hence, the PG-13 rating).

A made for TV movie

Author: didi g from United States
17 February 2013

I just finished watching the Alex Cross movie, which I was looking forward to but missed seeing in the theater. I am glad I ended up renting the movie for $1.50 from the library. The movie was predictable, badly written, and direction was choppy. Everything and everyone was a cliché -- bad guys are foreign (German, French), Asians are sluts, and White Anglos are not very bright. Although Tyler Perry fits the physical description of the Cross character, the writing and direction was a detriment to his acting. This story bears little resemblance to Patterson's Alex Cross books and am surprised that he allowed this mess to make it to the big screen. I made the mistake of listening to the Director's commentary which was even more boring than the movie. I will not watch another Rob Cohen directed movie again. Don't bother to watch this.

Morgan Freeman...we love you!

Author: sean simpson from United Kingdom
11 December 2012

It's not very often I lose interest in a movie that I've looked forward to viewing for a while, being a fan of the "Freeman originals", but I have to say Alex Cross fails miserably in most of the basic departments that make a film good to watch. Tyler Perry has NO screen presence at all...no passion, boring, painful to watch (embarrassing at times)has no depth in his character and is totally unbelievable in the lead role. I have to admit I haven't watched him in much but on this evidence alone i certainly haven't missed out and won't be rushing out to watch him in anything soon! The plot is dire...rushed but very slow in getting there (if that makes sense???) and very thin to be polite and the apparent twist at the end is dreadful and makes a mockery of everything that went before it!. The acting is terrible, with the exception of Matthew Fox (the butcher of sligo title he bestows upon himself is never explained!) who was totally underused and under developed and in the end brushed aside when he should have been the focus of the film until the end! It was boring enough the first 45 mins or so but when Fox killed Cross' pregnant wife and tortured one of his female colleagues I thought here we go...now the movie might finally get going as we have a decent psycho villain on our hands...but unfortunately no...it got worse! I really hope if they revamp the character again they find a new leading man as it looks as if it's set itself up for a few more sequels...of which I definitely won't be seeing if Perry is in the lead role. Disappointed is an understatement!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stay Away !

Author: steli-babu from Switzerland
15 December 2012

To begin I have watched tons of movies in the past years out of which many were really bad. However, this is the first time I am reviewing a movie and if you watched it you surely understand why. I got this movie from a friend and I went out to read the reviews before watching it, as I usually do. Although I had the feeling it's going to be a bad picture and I postponed watching it as long as possible, I gave it a try on a boring Thursday evening. My opinion: DREADFUL. The screenplay is the worst I've ever seen. There is absolutely nothing exciting, entertaining or even interesting. To me, it looks as if it was written by a toddler. Friendly advice : do not watch it under any circumstances!

After seeing this, I went to borrow Kiss the Girls, basically the older version of Alex Cross. There is no possible comparison between these two movies, and I honestly think that Morgan Freeman deserved better. Tyler Perry should stick to Madea as it suits him much better.

1 out of 10 !

Alex Cross....Poor Movie and Insult to James Patterson

Author: slippyfostel from United States
10 March 2016

I have enjoyed all of the Alex Cross books I have read by James Patterson. The first Alex Cross movies carried big name actors and a thinking criminal psychologist and profiler who uses his mind and knowledge of criminals to solve cases. Yes, he is active, but not nearly as active as Tyler Perry was in this movie.In fact, Tyler did not do Cross justice. That was not a pun! He didn't get inside the mind of the criminal at all and was so much more active than his predecessor in Morgan Freeman. I understand the choice not to use Morgan. However, Cross is supposed to look somewhat like a lean Muhammad Ali. Tyler was far from that and not even close. This was a sad attempt to make a movie without a real story line and poor casting. Like others said, where were the characters such as John Sampson? Tyler might have made a good John Sampson, but he was not Alex Cross.A better choice would have been Will Smith as Cross. This movie ruined the franchise in my book. It was horrible!