IMDb > Alex Cross (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Alex Cross

Alex Cross More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 16:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Good, but still way below Morgan Freeman standards.

Author: 2fresh 2clean from Baton Rouge, La
3 November 2012

I just got through seeing Alex Cross. It was a good enough movie to pay the $5.75 matinée price. The movie had decent action scenes, which is totally out of the norm for Tyler Perry, that kept me entertained. The acting in this movie was pretty good and Tyler Perry himself did do a pretty good job with his part especially being that this is his first action roll. But with all that being said I still can see why Morgan Freeman turned the roll down. This movie was kind of predictable. I was telling my wife what was going to happen in the movie and I hadn't seen this movie before hand, done any research on this movie nor have I heard anyone talking about pieces of the movie. Now I've seen some of Tyler Perry's movies and those ones I have seen is what keeps me from watching his other movies, but this one, although he didn't make this one, is better than anything else he played in. Except Why Did I Get Married. So If you're not doing anything on a Sunday afternoon and want to see a little action and a little suspense it's O.K. to go and see this one.

Crossed at Cross

Author: buttkick from Odense, Denmark
21 July 2013

This is perhaps not the worst film i've seen, and may deserve a 3 or maybe even a 4 if I was in a happy way. The things that pulls this down i expectations parred with the title of the film. I do not recognise Alex Crossin this movie, and whats with the sidekick. Come on if you know Alex Cross, you also know his childhood friend and that sure ain't Tommy. The whole setup was like Cross going Dirty Harry. Its like the new Sherlock movies where the great mind, becomes a chaos of violence. I don't know what James Patterson thinks of this movie, but if its positive it must be money talking. Liked Picasso thou, Matthew Fox really found his crazy eyes in this one.

Worth a watch

Author: chris-ells88
5 December 2012

Although I have only given this movie a 5/10 I still don't regret watching it. There are simply a lot of better films out there. It was one I managed to get cheaper tickets for so perhaps that's why I am not as critical as others. I found it entertaining and I was fully engrossed in the story. I felt some of the acting was a bit ropey but then again I thought Matthew Fox was superb. He really did portray a rather scary character, very different from that of Jack in Lost. There was some rather cheesy and altogether cheap parts to the movie, but overall it was a good watch. I can understand why some may have given this film a very low rating, but for me I saw a lot of positives.

Cross is a gross injustice to Patterson's books

Author: dushyant chaturvedi from India
14 December 2012

Alex Cross is a "doctor detective". He is a psychologist who helps the police draw up the profiles of serial killers. He, along with his motley crew, is on the trail of a psychopath who "loves inflicting pain on people"(is there any other variety of psychos). However, the battle is about to turn very personal. Cross is a fictional detective who is the hero of eponymous series written by James Patterson. The books are generally very fast reads with little or no substance. However, these books are thrillers whereas the movie attempts to be an action movie. It combines elements from different books to make this a personal fight for Alex. Needless to say, it fails. The acting is as bad as I have seen this millennium. Tyler Perry steps in the big shoes of Morgan Freeman, who played Cross in the previous two installments of the series, Kiss the girls and Along Came a Spider and does a terrible job. He cannot emote and is clumsy in the action scenes. When he should be all fire and brimstone, he is pretty lame . Edward Burns used to star in top notch movies like Saving Private Ryan a decade back. He is less than a shadow of his old self. He sucks big time as this "beautiful cop". Jean Reno must be in a cash crunch or the director of this stinking pile must be having his objectionable video with him. I can think of no other reason for him starring in this. The script is terrible. The background music and the characters are also so clichéd that they don't stay with you for even 2 minutes after the movie has ended. The only saving grace is Matthew Fox who plays the villain. He is menacing and terrifying and looks to be the only one who doesn't sleepwalk through his role. Recommended for people who love torturing themselves.

OK Movie.

Author: candoit333 from Canada
29 October 2012

If you think you might like this movie from the trailer...go see it and ignore the bad reviews...its a good movie. If this is the worse movie you seen - you haven't seen very much. As for being predictable - easy to say that- and there aren't many movies out there thats not a bit predictable. The acting was OK, yes it really was - some of the lines they had to deliver weren't the best, but that isn't the actors fault. The thing that keep this from being really good was the directing, camera work, and editing. It really reduced the quality of the movie. Often you will see a shaking camera during a action scene - we all seen that before - but this movie takes it too a whole new level of shaking camera...who ever decided to do this and edit it so badly -needs to take the blame here on this movie for it not being what it could have. But overall for me - last night after the football game, it was an enjoyable evening at the movies.

Entertaining...Give this movie a fair shot...

Author: Nicole Burnett from Orlando, FL
12 November 2012

I think this movie is getting a bad rap. I found the movie entertaining and I think Tyler Perry did a great job. Is it the best movie in the world? no. But I think that people are being extremely critical. I think it is being rated unfairly and it deserves a chance. I liked the story. Quite honesty, most movies are predictable. It is rare to find a movie that is creative, good acting, amazing story line etc. If the way this movie is being rated was the same judgment scale of some of these other box office films, the 4.8 would be much higher. I think people are judging Tyler Perry by his other film and plays versus by the movie that is actually being reviewed. I thought he did a great job in the movie and I believe it is worth seeing. I enjoyed it and I think a lot of viewers did too. Unfortunately, everyone acts like they are a movie critic and only wants the same people doing movies. It is unfortunate that there are only a handful of African American actors used as the main character of a film in Hollywood with a role other than a Maid, Thief or some down trodden person. To see just a regular role with a person of color was nice and enjoyable. And all things being equal, he did a fine job! This movie was very good and the ratings have been played down and are unfair. Is it an instant classic? no, but it is a solid film that is worth seeing. Give it a chance... Many other films that IMDb viewers have rated at 7+ have been way more predictable than this one, less of a plot and the same people doing the same thing as they did in part 1, 2, 3 on so on. Give this film a fair shot! At least this was an original script...

Should have been a straight to TV movie

Author: KineticSeoul from United States
6 March 2013

If this was straight to TV movie or even straight to DVD movie it might have been a alright watch. But for a movie that went straight to theaters, this one is not worth it. Tyler Perry is decent as Alex Cross, but he plays the more softhearted and intelligent Alex Cross that is good with psychoanalysis. And I thought I couldn't take him seriously at all after his Madea movies. Matthew Fox on the other hand is great as this psychotic sadistic killer. Who has a lot of insecurity issues. He sort of reminded me of the villain Zsasz from the Batman series. In fact if there is a Zsasz in the next Batman reboot Mathew Fox should play that character. Unfortunately this character just wasn't developed enough at all. There just wasn't enough substance to the story nor enough good action sequences or thrilling sequences to merit this a watch. It's a rental at best but there are plenty of other better thrillers to rent and watch. Oh and Edward Burns is pretty awful in this and took most of the believability out of this flick.

Why did I watch this despite the bad reviews?

Author: phd_travel from United States
4 June 2013

Hollywood has got to stop making such sickeningly violent movies which have violence for the sake of violence and not for entertainment. If this movie has any use it can be the movie that stopped Hollywood from making such crap since it was a box office flop.

The premise would have been mildly tolerable if they didn't make the crazy killer so violent for no reason. Matthew Fox turned into an unrecognizably gaunt monster "Picasso" for the sake of this nonsense. Tyler Perry better stick to his roles in which he is wearing a wig. Edward Burns is above this.

Don't watch it. It's just disgusting and a waste of time.

Horrible Cameraman

Author: tillithz
16 February 2013

The action scenes are absolutely horrible. The cameraman must have had Parkinson's Disease. The shaking makes the movie unwatchable. The story line is old, and has been done repeatedly. But wait, this time its with a black man, that makes all the difference.

Save yourself some time and money, if you want to see it grab a pirated version but don't pay for this garbage.

Or skip entirely.

Seems awkward that a professional and mature law enforcement officer acts out in the way depicted here all the while on the backdrop of gangsta rap. If there was a way to get my ~1:41:26 back I would. I have never reviewed (publically) a movie as I haven't had the need to, but this was so bad I had to review

Who ever thought this was a good idea?

Author: martinrobertson300482 from United Kingdom
20 March 2013

With a tag-line like "You better not cross Alex Cross" I'm wondering why I bothered to go see this at the cinema at all. I think I was curious to see Matthew Fox of "Lost" try his hardest too shake off the "nice guy" image he has, by playing a toughened up psychotic killer.

Ever since I saw the trailer and got closer and closer too seeing it, "Alex Cross" has gradually gotten worse. And after seeing the whole thing, I can only describe it as bad. I first started getting weary when I found out that the film is a reboot. Apparently Morgan Freeman has played this character before. Yet they felt the need too restart the franchise, ignoring movies "Kiss the girls" and "Along came a Spider," even though most probably didn't realise it was a franchise too begin with. Then one of my mates, the one who wanted to go see it the most, pulled out, leaving me and another friend off mine (who had barely any interest in seeing it at all) sitting there ready to judge it! And it wasn't hard to start finding faults.

The Plot is so straight forward I can't believe its based on a book. Unless its just been poorly adapted, as it does come across as a bit off a rush job. The script is awful. The entire cinema was laughing un-intentionally, and a lot! and the lead actor who plays Alex Cross (The One you've not too Cross remember) was awful. The whole thing played out like an episode of a bad TV show, and one that's supposed to be rebooting/improving on what's been done before. Seriously?

I actually feel kind off sorry for Fox. Hopefully he gets a better part from this, as he's the best thing in the movie, and has clearly put a lot off effort into what he does here. Its just a shame that no-one else tried at all.

Page 2 of 16:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]