IMDb > Alex Cross (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Alex Cross

Alex Cross More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 15: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

I really wanted to like this, but....

Author: scottcloney
30 October 2012

I was very excited when I heard about this movie, Alex Cross has always been one of my favorite characters and I was a big fan of the two older movies. I knew they would have to replace Morgan Freeman as he was too old to convincingly play Alex Cross anymore and I'll admit that I was not terribly happy to start with whom they chose.

However, Tyler Perry is not the problem with this movie. The actors in this film( Perry, Edward Burns, Rachel Nichols, Jean Reno and Matthew Fox) all do relatively good jobs with what they are given. The acting was never so bad that it distracted me from the movie and at times was pretty good. The writing and directing were nothing short of pathetic though.

I watched this movie and couldn't help but feel that they rushed the whole thing. No plot point is ever explained and no character development ever occurs. All characters except for Det. Cross are never, ever given any kind of development and very little of what these characters do makes any sense. Why would a professional assassin, who presumably has been doing this for a while, suddenly completely deviate from the way he does things to go after some police officers ,who managed to almost stop him only from a clue he gave them for no apparent reason to begin with. How could this guy have managed to kill people for so long if he was so erratic? Why does MAJOR SPOILER**** Jean Reno hire the hit-man in the first place, surely there are better ways to fake your death to cover money laundering than to hire a psychotic hit-man that you can't control.

This movie could have used another ten to fifteen minutes to develop some story lines and flesh out the ones they have. I wanted to like this movie, but in the end it made about the least sense of any movie I have seen in 10 years. I'd love to see Perry get another crack at Dr. Cross but as this is bombing pretty bad, I am pretty sure they have killed this character.

So very sad....

Why Was This Movie Even Made?

Author: thelastplace from United States
10 May 2014

I've been reading James Patterson for 20 years and have read ALL the Alex Cross books. This piece of crap was made for the money and no other reason. And from the posted gross, that didn't work either. First, the two previous movies were based on Alex Cross books, 'Along Came A Spider' and 'Kiss the Girls'. This was a made up story that is too predictable. Second, the partner, Thomas Kane, is NOT Cross' partner. He has NEVER had a partner except John Sampson. Third, Maria would have been dead BEFORE this movie, not in this movie. Fourth, set in DETROIT, not D.C. where it should have been set. I don't remember a single story where Alex Cross worked in Detroit, let alone lived there. Fifth, Cicely Tyson, as good as she is, was WRONG for the role of Nana Mama. Should I go on? If you love Alex Cross, stay away from this piece of garbage.

Perry's Cross to Bear

Author: whatashleyknows from Canada
23 December 2012

I am generally a pretty big fan of Tyler Perry's films, though he is "hated on" a lot, I do feel that his stories are worth telling, HOWEVER, he should stick to his own films because it has been an awfully long time since I forced myself to sit through such a horrible film. From the opening scene to the closing, this was one frustrating scene after another.

The opening scene...where do I start? The cheesiest, tackiest film shots, music, and dialogue I've ever seen in a "serious" film since the 70's. And it continues from there. One particular shot where the "bad guy", Fox, cuts off the fingers of a victim yet there appears to be no blood on the weapon that he is holding in his hands in the same scene. What kind of director misses that?!?! The acting is atrocious as is the character development. There is no flow in any way shape or form.

I can't seem to find anything positive to review about this film so I'll leave it at that.

Waste of good material

Author: kevinmorice from United Kingdom
20 December 2012

How you take an Alex Cross book, add Matthew Fox as the villain, and turn out this nonsense is beyond me.

Surely at the very worst you watch the Morgan Freeman movies and hire someone to do an impression? Or at least look at the scripts of those and see what worked?

Some of the action is so silly that it is hilarious. Picasso is such a good fighter he takes on the local MMA champion and ends his career with minimal effort, but he can't beat an out-of- shape, middle-age Cross who has a broken arm.

Some of the suspense is even worse. One of the cops is tortured and killed off and it isn't even referenced. His wife is killed off and he is back at work the day after and chasing the killer.

And then there are the stupid things that they add in just to make visuals. Why on earth are there a load of viewing hatches in the water pipe? This is so obviously done just so we can watch the villain in the pipe and is beyond stupid.

Crippled by a weak supporting cast and a poor script!

Author: varghesejunior from India
18 December 2012

Let me start by confessing that I never considered Tyler Perry to be the right match to play the legendary doctor-detective Alex cross on the big screen.

The only reason I was drawn toward this film was Matthew Fox. I felt this movie watching this movie would be the only way I could appreciate his dedication and hard work, clearly evident by the effort he put into chiseling his body to suit the appearance of a psycho-sadist serial killer.

I was however pleasantly surprised by Perry's performance, contrary to my opinion he pulls of this role quite appreciably, although I still believe Idris Alba would've been a better choice. What is strikingly disappointing about this film is the poor performance of the supporting actors. Starting from the Chief of police to Tyler's partner Thomas Kane everyone looks misplaced, Kane struggles to reproduce even the most basic of emotions on screen.

The next obvious flaw about this film is the script, in one particular scene of the movie, Alex cross talks to his wife about getting a job with the FBI because it has a better pay & 'dental' that should probably sum it up for you.

Apart from the reasonably good performances by Perry and Fox the only other appreciable points of this movie are probably the score and a couple of well filmed action scenes. It's worth a miss.

I knew it...

Author: Beauq81 from Belgrade
13 December 2012

Whenever I see a "how it was made" on TV and hear the cast and crew talk about the movie, the characters and each other with adoration, I just know the movie will suck. When I heard Rachel Nichols talk about her character, it reminded me of Keri Russell talking about hers in Mission Impossible 3, and I was right - just like Lindsey Farris, Monica Ashe dies in the first half of the movie. And you can just see it throughout the movie that her faith is sealed.

Tyler Perry and Rob Cohen praised Morgan Freeman's portrayal and said that Perry will bring a new perspective and freshness to the role. Let me tell you, I really would have preferred to see Freeman, even at his age - especially at his age - wield a shotgun and fight Picasso. Tyler Perry just doesn't have the same emotional depth, though, I have to admit, he does look scary when he's out for blood.

I won't say it was a complete waste of time, but it still was. There were some scenes that reminded me more of a soap opera, than of an action thriller. Everyone overacted their parts and the dialog was pretty cheesy, but I can't really blame the actors for that, because it's the director who, well - directs.

I have nothing against bad movies. It is the best way to see what is good, but, please, at least make them cheap! I hate to see all that money go to waste when there are people with more creativity, but less funding.

P.S. A month ago, when I wrote the first part, I hadn't yet read a single Alex Cross book. Since then, I read the first 3 and started the 4th and, though most of my previous statements still stand, I do have to say that Tyler Perry is physically closer to the image of Cross I had while reading the book, than Morgan Freeman.

Funniest tag-line of the year.

Author: FlashCallahan from Leicester, United Kingdom
10 December 2012

So we get the sort of prequel to the other movies, and the first thing you realise is that the film is woefully miscast.

Perry should stick to wearing a dress, because he is the poor mans Alex Cross, and I couldn't help but think that he just couldn't be bothered.

Saying that though, it's not as bad as many say. It's not good, but then I have a penchant for thrillers that were released in the very late nineties (Switchback, 8MM, The Jackal, Mercury Rising) and this feels so much like one of those.

Fox and Burns are the best things in the movie, while Jean Reno makes a special guest appearance playing an embarrassed fat European in a turkey, much like Gerard Depiedieu (whatever) in Babylon A.D.

The film never really bothers the grey matter, The villain is pantomime evil, and Perry has a fight at the end hanging from a ceiling.

I do hate myself for enjoying the film as much as I did, but then again, any film with a rocket launcher can't be that bad.

It's predictable, with some atrocious characters (Hi Mom!), but somehow, it's watchable.

Welcome back 1997.

His best movie

Author: Pamela Foster from United States
27 October 2012

I know I am in the minority here but I really enjoyed Tyler getting out of that dress and playing a masculine role. Some have commented on his acting skills..yes there is a lot for him to work on but this is by far his best role!! So many people have complained that he was pigeon holing himself with his Madea character and I do agree. However he is trying to cross (no pun intended) over into a new genre and now people are up in arms about that. You can't win for losing with some. I really believe he can transform into an "actor" if he keeps receiving parts that actually challenge him and not stay in his comfort zone and cash cow characters. All in all I was impressed that he took a chance.

the glass is half full

Author: buli-gadol from bangkok, thailand
26 October 2012

it could have been a great movie...it had a good script,great actor Matthew Fox as never seen before - reminded me the joker Heath Ledger version a bit... but other than that....disappointing. a lot of boring dialogs,fast forwarding important parts in the tail on the other hand ???!!! and ending fight scene that looked like it was shoot on a smart phone camera that made everybody in the cinema feel dizzy :)))

it's a shame really...i hope we get to see Matthew fox again soon but under a better director.

not of a cinema movie anyway as too lack of action or 3d special effects i guess it will go out to your nearest blockbuster soon if nothing else is available...take it :)

Tyler Perry isn't the problem........

Author: julianmarksmith from United Kingdom
8 November 2012

I'm a big fan and current reader of another James Patterson novel. I must admit though, that in my head, I see Morgan Freeman in the role as I read and was not looking forward to seeing another actor take his place.

I'll further add that I'm English and had no idea who Tyler Perry was before looking him up on IMDb. Having said that I thought he did a pretty good job.

My overall criticism of this movie is that it's just not that good. I know it's rare that a book translates to the screen in the same way but with Patterson on the team I thought it'd work better than this. The books build suspense page after page and you're gripped, on the edge of your seat at every turn, but this movie just 'got things done' asap! Oohhh! someone is murdered, oohhh! someone is in trouble, oohhh the hero's wife is murdered, so we're supposed to care more and then the cop goes 'rogue' against the political Captain's wishes but is saved in the end by his partner 'who knows him better than anyone else'!! Such a shame, James Patterson's books are awesome, however, their translations never are...........!

Page 11 of 15: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]