IMDb > Alex Cross (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Alex Cross More at IMDbPro »

Cross it Out

Author: kapelusznik18 from United States
3 November 2014

****SPOILERS**** Off the wall police drama involving super-cop and brainy Alex Cross, Tyler Perry, a Detroit policemen as well as part time psychoanalyst. Cross gets himself involved with this high priced just released from a mental institution assassin known as the "Butcher of Slygo", Matthew Fox, who's out to destroy the cities's, that's on the verge of bankruptcy, top political financier German industrialist Giles Mercier, Jean Reno, so it can be taken over, in what were made to believe , a group of Wall Street vulture capitalists. Cross himself was looking to exit Detroit and get a job with the FBI as a criminal profiler that paid 35% more then as a Detroit cop as well provided him and his family with full dental care which was all the motivation he needed. But it was his gabby old lady, wife, Maria, Carmen Ejogo, who wanted no part of it. Which made Cross have second thoughts putting her in front of him getting ahead in the world of law enforcement.

It was a lucky stroke for Cross when the "Butcher" knocked off Maria at a local restaurant, when he distracted Cross on the phone, that the by know mad as hell cop decided to stay in Detroit, like his old lady wanted him too, and take care of business in giving the "Butcher" everything that he had coming to him. This had Cross and his team of crime fighters Thomas Kane, Edward Burns, and Jody Klebanoff, Bonnie Bentley, get on the "Butcher's" tail who in fact was anything but the freelance psycho killer that Cross thought that he was.

****SPOILERS**** It's later on that we realize whom the "Butcher" was working for that involved a sick financial scam thought up by his greedy employer to save what little in money he still had left after the disastrous stock market crash on 2008! As well as keep him from going to jail for both stock fraud and insider trading that in fact, by backfiring on him, almost wipe him out. This ridicules plan also was soon to soon backfired when Cross and his partners Kane & Kelbanoff planted two kilos of cocaine on him at his hideout in far off Indonesia. That sudden turn of events had him busted by the local police and sentenced to death, by firing squad, by the state court!

I'd better have watched a German police movie.

Author: david-robin from France
18 September 2014

- the crime-scene cop, the one who is supposed to convey the horror of what he just found ... is the doctor of "Scrub". - the romance between 2 criminal investigators, in love since they're 12... - "Our killer thinks he is a Picasso". says the police team-mate... - "We are all formers from the German police" say the bodyguards...

At this point in the film, I had HUGE doubts regarding the potential of film. And then I saw skinny Matthew Fox swimming in a decorative water pipe, and I totally lost hope.

I will try to stick to plans, and produce a serious review :

- the plot is stupid. Main character Alex Cross (Tyler Perry) investigates the crimes of a contract killer, who gives out transparent clues on his next target by drawing Picasso-inspired fusains (just because he is crazy). The uninspired writers had several reminiscence of David Fincher's seVen (pregnant wife, self-punishment, etc).

- the cinematography is worse than most TV series.

- the music score by John Debney (several Marvel soundtracks, "Hanna Montana") is transparent. The crying violins are repeatedly boring. The moments of emotional tension are highlighted by digital percussions.

- the actors? ...ah ah. AH AH AH!

A tough act to follow

Author: bowmanblue from United Kingdom
6 June 2014

In 'Alex Cross' Tyler Perry steps up to try and fill the shoes of Morgan Freeman, who played the titular character in both Kiss the Girls and Along Came a Spider. Unfortunately, although he gives it his best shot, he does seem to fall a little short of the mark. When Freeman played the role, he gave it an air of quiet dignity where he was always ready to outwit his opponent. Perry is a big man, therefore a big gun suits him and he comes across more like he's ready to star in an action movie.

However, the lead role aside, the film chugs along quite nicely. It's based on the book of the same name and is quite tense and thrilling (if a little far-fetched in places). It's a buddy-cop film where the law enforcement are on the hunt of a killer/hit-man known by the alias 'Picasso.' There's nothing new to see here, but if you're a fan of the genre, you can certainly do worse. However, you could probably read a newspaper while watching it and still completely understand everything that goes on.

Worth a watch if there's nothing else.

Poor production values

Author: lbmoniz
10 May 2014

Lacks the class and drama of previous efforts with Morgan Freeman who is a superior actor. I guess being succinct isn't allowed so I'll have to repeat these lines over again. Lacks the class and drama of previous efforts with Morgan Freeman who is a superior actor. Lacks the class and drama of previous efforts with Morgan Freeman who is a superior actor. Lacks the class and drama of previous efforts with Morgan Freeman who is a superior actor. Lacks the class and drama of previous efforts with Morgan Freeman who is a superior actor. Lacks the class and drama of previous efforts with Morgan Freeman who is a superior actor.

Poor Acting And Screenplay

Author: Desertman84 from United States
9 March 2014

Alex Cross is a crime thriller that stars Tyler Perry in the title role.It tells a story about how Cross meets his match in the Picasso,portrayed by Matthew Fox. This is the third film that features the character Alex Cross, the main character in a series of novels by James Patterson.The movie was was adapted from the novel "Cross," written by screenwriters Marc Moss and Kerry Williamson.It was directed Rob Cohen.

In the film,Cross' main target is a psycho named Picasso, a serial killer who tortures and mutilates his victims. Picasso is a bellicose suit-wearing monster who early on takes off his jacket and tie and reveals the psychopath within. When Cross studies the crime scenes he's left and watches as Picasso continue killing innocents around town.But when the mission gets personal,he is pushed to the edge of his moral and psychological limit.

It is too bad that Tyler Moore does not hold a candle to the performance of Morgan Freeman,who performed Alex Cross in the two previous movies namely,Kiss the Girls and Along Came a Spider.Added to that,the story is dull,predictable and boring.It is far from interesting as it is clichéd and has an unbearable dialogue.Added to that,the action scenes does not contribute to make the film even better.Skip this one.

Tyler Perry - Sign of Mediocrity

Author: imdb-45 from New York
6 March 2014

This film is an embarrassment. It makes B movies look like top notch thrillers. Everything is wrong with this film, exaggerated and unnatural, like almost everything I've seen Tyler Perry produce. The script is predictable and laughable. There is no chemistry between the actors and the dialog is stilted, awkward and difficult to hear.

Perry's character, Alex Cross, is a psychic genius. He can tell what went on at a scene just by his very presence. He knows one man did everything because... well... he's just so darn smart. He has the same cool demeanor the entire film and he's just not a credible character.

The worst part is that there are no twists that can't be seen a mile away and the film plays out from beginning to end without surprises. A serial killer wants to take out everyone and now it's up to our resident genius to prevent that from happening. Even the mediocre "Along Came a Spider" which featured Morgan Freeman was miles ahead of this farce. This is the kind of film that goes straight to video and gets played late night on free TV channels, if you want to waste your time on this (but certainly not your money.)

Laughable

Author: stevenjsed from St Anthony, MN
22 February 2014

I wanted to give this movie a 0 out of 10 but the fact is that I laughed through most of it. If this movie was written as a comedy I would have given it an 8.

The script, the direction and the acting started out bad and got worse as the movie went on. If I had paid to see this movie I would have asked for my money back

I feel bad that I have to write 10 lines of text to have a review of a very bad movie published on IMDb, I am sure the producers and directors wanted to have a better finished product than this movie and I hope James Patterson got a lot of money for his part but they will need to change the main actors if there is going to be another Alex Cross movie. An 80 year old Morgan Freeman would make a more believable crime fighter than Tyler Perry does now.

The big man steps out of drag

Author: gradyharp from United States
21 February 2014

James Patterson's novels have given us some memorable characters and one of the more memorable is Dr Alex Cross, a homicide detective/psychologist with the Detroit Police Department. The always-popular Madea of Tyler Perry's creation steps out of the drag costume this time around and becomes a very credible Dr. Alex Cross: the transition is comfortable and encouraging for him as an actor.

Dr. Alex Cross (Tyler Perry) with the help of his aide Thomas Kane (Edward Burns) is on his last police duty to track down an assassin called Picasso (Matthew Fox), who's been torturing and killing rich businessmen in Detroit. When Cross' wife is killed by Picasso the mission becomes exceedingly personal, Cross is pushed to the edge of his moral and psychological limits to end this once and for all and from that point on the movie gains speed and is well resolved. There are some fine cameos by Cicely Tyson, Jean Reno, Chad Lindberg, Carmen Ejogo and Giancarlo Esposito.

The screenplay gets a bit self indulgent and sappy at times but the movie as a hole comes off well. Tyler Perry has more chutzpah than we've seen before.

A Drag Of A Detective With No Deduction

Author: LeonLouisRicci from United States
16 February 2014

Why, for All that is Holy, would You make a Movie about a Modern Day Sherlock Holmes with a Doctorate in Psychology who is an Analytical Detective by way of Being Police, and then Disregard all of that with a Brain Dead Script with Little Deduction and even Less Detecting. He is called Detective Doctor Cross Many Times just for Source Material Recognition.

But there is Action Movie Money to be Made so all of that Brainiac Stuff is too Cerebral for the Masses so no one will Notice. But they did. This Movie was a Disaster at the Box Office and Took a Critical Whipping on Most Posts.

So there. It should be a Lesson Learned but don't Hold Your Breath Expecting too many Complex Thrillers to come from Hollywood Anytime Soon. Aside from Lack of Intelligence in a Movie about an Intellectual Crime Fighter, the Action Parts of the Film are nothing worth Analysis Except in a Word or Two. Boring...Uneventful.

The Final Fight between our Hero and Villain is so Shaky Camera and the Image Bobs Up and Down so Frequently and So Fast that it Might just get the Award for the Shakiest Camera Scene Ever and that's No Mean Feat Considering the Competition.

This is a guy who can tell you had scrambled eggs for breakfast at a hundred yards.

Author: Ben Larson from Leesburg, FL
15 February 2014

Finally, a Tyler Perry movie that is actually funny. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

This is the third Alex Cross movie. It ranks fourth after Along Came a Spider and Kiss the Girls, both starring Morgan Freeman. You can't replace Matt Damon as Jason Bourne, and you can't replace Morgan Freeman as Alex Cross.

Weak acting, a sorry script, lousy directing; I could go on, but you get the idea.

It's a good thing we had The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2 and Battleship last year or this movie would have swept the worst movie awards.

Please don't tell me there is a sequel planned.

Silly, Cheesy and Nothing new

Author: Floated2
19 December 2013

As someone who has not read any of the novels, and had not known much about the character or of it's plot, I still found Alex Cross to be subpar. Alex Cross played itself as a brainless and not too interesting thriller with several cheesy moments and silly dialogue. From the beginning, the way Picasso (Matthew Fox) was introduced was hard to believe. His character came down to an MMA sporting event, simply hands one of the mangers money then is put up to fight an opponent in a matter of minutes. Although Picasso was the best part of the film and Matthew Fox played his character great at points but it wasn't enough to save the film.

Tyler Perry did a decent job as the serious lead of Alex Cross, but having not read the novels, I am not aware of how the character was supposed to act. I did enjoy some of the action scenes including Picasso. "Alex Cross" plays itself as the typical film where the villain and lead first make their encounter, then the villain continuously stalks the lead wanting something of his, the lead being scared and having to to avoid it, and up to the end the lead takes his revenge and eventually kills the villain. There was some violence towards women in the film specifically where Picasso kills Alex Cross's wife (whom was months due pregnant), which was a cheap shot for a "professional" villain in which it happened. This is where and why Alex Cross goes after Picasso, as it does make sense but it could have been done different as we have seen many revenge seeking films before.

Like many of these type of films, it suffers from an interesting plot, though it does have some okay scenes but it isn't enough to keep those truly entertained to not notice its flaws. I also didn't find much of the chemistry between Tyler Perry and Edward Burns. "Alex Cross" simply felt cheesy and could have been done with another lead and a far better script, with re writes.

Far from brilliant, but is it enjoyable, yes.

Author: superal1966 from United Kingdom
14 October 2013

I have never read any of the books and watched Alex Cross after reading a few of the reviews on here, so my expectations weren't too high, but I have to say I was pleasantly surprised.

There are without a doubt negatives in Alex Cross. There is little, if any, character development, and the relationship between Alex Cross and his partner feels more like Mel Gibson and Danny Glover than that of two childhood friends. The direction is awful in parts as well; one particular fight near the end of the film springs to mind where one would be forgiven for thinking the cameraman was drunk. It was pretty hard to see what was going on.

That said, it has a decent plot for an action film and makes for a good light and easy watch with a pizza and a few beers. Yes it is predictable, and no the acting isn't going to win any Academy Awards, but was it fun, yes.

I think some films are just meant to be enjoyed while overlooking any faults, and this is certainly one of them. If you can do that then I would recommend watching Alex Cross.

Cross of the list

Author: Prismark10 from United Kingdom
13 October 2013

I have never seen the Madea films so this is the first time I have seen Tyler Perry in action. As Alex Cross he is stepping into the shoes of Morgan Freeman in this reboot. Well Freeman is a hard act to follow although I am unsure as to who Perry's Cross is by the end of the film.

The main star of the film is actually Matthew Fox as the hired killer Picasso. He buffed himself up and lost a lot of weight as the callous and amoral killer.

The biggest problem with the film is the screenplay. It has more holes than Swiss cheese. It means the performers are actually hampered with nonsensical flaws.

At the beginning Fox in a suit pays someone to get involved in a MMA fight. The spectators laugh at him even though when he takes his shirt off he has ripped muscles and tattoos. Even his opponent a seasoned fighter does not twig this guy is a ringer and gets paralysed. His performance is so impressive that an Oriental woman at the fight takes a shine to him, takes him to her home and gets involved in bondage with dire results.

Yet at the end of the film we have a prospect of Perry (a slightly overweight actor best known for appearing in drag) going one on one with Fox even though we have seen at the beginning of the film what he did to the MMA fighter!

In between this Fox who is a gun for hire seemingly gets personal for no reason other than getting shot by the police who are actually just doing their job and takes a detour by going after Perry and his comrades.

Not to forget that one of Fox's hit depends on split second timing depending on a train being on a certain position whilst at the same time his intended victims just arriving somewhere else. How he has planned all this when he is busy going after Perry and co makes the mind boggle.

Also Jean Reno the guy who played the treacherous agent in the first Mission Impossible turns up for a few minutes as the main chief executive of a corporation whose employees are being targeted by the assassin and who is the ultimate target. I wonder who the actual mastermind will be!

This is not to say that its all daftly entertaining. Its just that this is a different Alex Cross as portrayed by Morgan Freeman. We are told Cross is clever and he has his 'Sherlock Holmes' moment at the beginning but very little as to how he arrives with his conclusions.

Its a mash up of an action film and something cerebral. It passes away the time but I doubt this will be a successful rebooted franchise.

Tyler Perry inferior/Matthew Fox superior

Author: SnoopyStyle
29 August 2013

Tyler Perry is taking over Morgan Freeman as the fictional doctor/police detective. Morgan had played him in the previous two installments of the series, Kiss the girls and Along Came a Spider. Sadly Tyler Perry is an inferior lead.

This time Alex Cross is confronting an assassin played by Matthew Fox who is taking on a rich and powerful business. Matthew is looking completely different here. He is gaunt and unlike any of the warm-hearted nice guys he usually plays.

There is a nice tight thriller here. Tyler Perry doesn't help. But he's not so bad as to break it. He is somewhat stiff and a little clunky. He doesn't have the gravitas of Morgan Freeman. But it's also too easy to demean him.

dumb film

Author: antoniotierno from Italy
26 July 2013

The greatest problem in this movie is how it's been conceived, with the whole plot seeming extremely unlikely. Nothing about this thriller is thrilling, everything's clichéd and quite tedious. Furthermore much of the dialogue feels forced as blatant exposition is placed throughout normal conversations. Even when the movie (rarely) surprises the audience the script offers very little. When you think the movie has manipulated you into trying to care about these characters, all of a sudden it reveals an unnecessary. "Alex Cross" tries to be a grand thriller but fails on nearly every level. It's the script and the plot making this Cross unbearable.

Better then I expected

Author: beavanjb from United States
21 July 2013

First, I've never watched a Tyler Perry movie or TV show, so unlike most on here I'm not judging the movie simply by that. Also, I'm not trying to compare him to Morgan Freeman. So, if you can get past that you'll see that Alex Cross is actually a good movie, based on the reviews here people went in with way too many biases to enjoy it no matter how good it was. Again, Mathew Fox puts in a very good performance that was not what you would expect from him. The only performance that feels mailed in is that of Edward Burns. Anyway, I know Perry is known for comedy and this movie is pretty serious and dark throughout. A nice thrill ride if you are open to the actors involved.

Cross it off your watch list!

Author: Chris Ironside from Aberdeen, Scotland
21 June 2013

I was quite looking forward to seeing this film, but it disappointed in every way. Dr Benton was average, Dr Cox was a let down and I found Matthew Fox's over-acting quite a distraction. Jean Reno and Ed Burns gave reasonable performances but they were battling against quite something with the film itself.

The story is reasonable (I haven't read the books), but it was very poorly executed. A shaky-camera technique appeared to be preferred for fight scenes, but I didn't appreciate it.

Most of my disappointment originated with Fox though. I can only presume Fox's character is intended as skillful, intelligent, cold and psychotic... but just comes across as mental! Avoid if you're hoping for a reasonable action film. This is no Bourne!

Crazy

Author: kosmasp
9 June 2013

Matthew Fox (most will recognize him from the TV show Lost) gives a borderline performance here. Although you might argue he goes over the top more than once in this movie. It's tough to watch and not to laugh at his mannerisms. Even though they often do result in brutal scenes. Also a Tyler Perry is not entirely convincing in the lead role. It's not that he's bad, but he isn't really that good. And I haven't seen him in drag (though he does have a reputation in America, which might have led to the fact, that the movie did not work over there).

The cast overall is pretty good. But even people with small roles cannot leave their mark as usual (John C. McGinley to name one, who phones in his performance, but might still be better than the underused Jean Reno). There's also a twist towards the end of the movie, you might not care about. It's just too much in a movie that at least does not hold back punches ...

The Morgan Freeman efforts must have got the tone much better than this

Author: davideo-2 from United Kingdom
5 June 2013

STAR RATING: ***** Saturday Night **** Friday Night *** Friday Morning ** Sunday Night * Monday Morning

Respected Detective Alex Cross (Tyler Perry) finds himself on the trail of a killer named Picasso (Matthew Fox), who's targeting a group of figures in the financial world and leaving a gruesome trail behind after himself. Cross uses his intellect and experienced knowledge of killer's to hunt his prey, but when his own wife is murdered, he throws caution to the wind and wages a one man war against his prey.

I quite like my thrillers, especially the more darker ones, so it's a surprise I never saw Morgan Freeman's original outing as the titular detective from the novels, Kiss the Girls. I think I caught Along Came a Spider once, but the previous film probably would have given me a deeper understanding of Cross before this flashy, more modern effort came along, trying to give the character an edge to a modern day audience with a younger, more vibrant star (who probably hasn't started falling asleep during interviews yet!) and a slick, glossy new style of filming. However, the tone just doesn't fit with the material and isn't and doesn't provide a satisfying pay off in the end.

As if these problems weren't enough, the film just feels like such a mechanical effort, lazily connecting one dot to another and one genre cliché to the last one, before the big red herring of the plot in the shape of Cross's wife's murder comes along, which feels like such a preposterous and unbelievable turn of events, but one which it feels the plot rests on to prevent it becoming too tedious. By the end, Cross has become such an immoral, unlikable character (even condemning a man to death in the name of petty revenge!) it's thrown all his credibility as a hero out the window.

Even with a support cast including Ed Burns and Jean Reno, this misguided, misfiring effort fails to get any more class. **

The thriller production line

Author: cmoyton from United Kingdom
2 June 2013

Alex Cross does just about enough to make you want to see it through to the end but will not make you want to recommend to others. Although difficult it is best to leave comparisons with Freeman behind - it was never going to be that good. The biggest failing really is the derivative script. The killer is a lean mean killing machine cypher, hired by a multi million rich financier who has been burned in the financial crisis. Loose ends need to be eliminated.

Thats as deep as it gets - as shallow as a puddle. Bar some saccharine snapshots from the Cross family portfolio there is zero character development. Some of the actions sequences are good , just not enough of them and the direction is slick, but would you wear that cornflower tie at your own wife's funeral?.

Alex Cross, an action movie aiming to entertain.

Author: tropicasia1992 from Greece
24 May 2013

Hi people, this is my first review of a film, although I've seen dozens of movies. I decided to write a critic about "Alex Cross" because I saw many bad reviews and wondered about what is going wrong. At first I saw the "4.9" rate at the IMDb and I thought: "Hmmm, is this movie that bad?" and wondered if it worths my time. I was almost ready to watch another one because of such a low rate but at last I decided to give it a chance. First of all the aim of Action Movies is to entertain people. People all around the world see dozens of actions films NOT for the actors, NOT for the plot, NOT for the acting, JUST for entertainment. These are not my words, if you disagree with me just check at the box offices of action movies. So, "Alex Cross" is a lot entertaining and keeps some thrilling till the end. It has a lot of action and the adventure which a cop film must contain. Now, which action movie is not predictable? Hmmm, none! We all know what is going to happen next, the point is if the movie keeps the adrenaline high. And Alex Cross does. As for the scenario part, it's indeed very simple, like most of the movies which are being produced every year. I would like also to add that in such movies it's not required to explain why is happening something or how. If you want some reality, or scientific facts, with proofs, go to see a documentary. The balance between drama and action was exactly at the perfect spot. The film succeeds to inform the audience for the personal, psychological and professional situation of the main heroes without being wearing or boring. The problems I spotted are the decision of the director to make the cameras shaking in some action scenes and the "fast-forward" part at the end. I can't explain it better, those who will see it you'll understand. Thanks for reading, Chris van der Mass.

I like this movie a lot!

Author: joe chang (joechang@freenet.de) from Taiwan
18 May 2013

I don't understand why the rating of this movie is so low? It should be a 6.5 rather than 4.9. The horrible Die Hard 5 has got a decent 5.6 and the stupid Transporter got 6.7!

Sometimes I wonder the ratings are rated by Aliens, for example The Hurt Locker got high ratings (7.7) and beat Avatar at the Oscar. Let's be honest who would want to rent The Hurt Locker DVD on a Friday night?

Maybe I got poor tastes at clothes and I admit I love fast foods, but Alex Cross is not a bad movie! It is far better than the 6.4 Killer Elite and more entertaining than the 6.5 Mechanic.

Alex Cross has got good actors (Edward Burns is one of my all time favorite actors) and good story, it's photography needs a bit improvements though. This is a must see if you want to watch a DVD by yourself.

Anyone Can Cross Alex Cross?Any Doubts! Hell No

Author: M MALIK from Pakistan
4 May 2013

this is the line came from my mouth after i saw this mess of a film.Alex cross is bases on a novel now every movie Hollywood ever made either on games or novels or short stories they are only money makers.but despite that i enjoy many films when this came to me few months ago i remembered max Payne but this is a mass insult to the action genre.

the special effects & the climax was ridiculous.the main thing i liked was Picasso & middle story of the film.but i was expecting too much from it.

plot goes as a guy named Picasso is killing people now Alex cross(Tyler perry) a cop gets involved & things gets personal.

now what was the point here when too many films show us that the villain somehow cant shoot the hero then why repeat the same thing man.now as for this character Alex cross is to me he don't have what it takes to be a hero period.

the cast never impressed me except Rachel Nichols as a fan of her i say she got wasted in this nonsense.

my rating is 3/10 for the good effort by the team who made Alex cross & made some nice action scenes but the result is failure.i want people to stay away from this film its not worth your money.

Simply the wrong combination of actors and director

Author: game-editor
27 March 2013

Let's start off with the director. I don't dislike Rob Cohen. Many people believe that "XXX: State of the union" was a flop because of him. However, I think he was walking into a bad one to start with. Knight Rider was iffy at best. Honestly, the last movie that he was involved in that I would give a couple of thumbs up to would be Running Man. Still a classic. Being handed a gauntlet as big as the Alex Cross books is not an easy thing to hold on to. The books were amazing, but we have seen that they can be converted into great movies simply by watching "Along Came a Spider" and "Kiss the Girls". I feel that he most likely over directed the movie. The characters were too boxed in. The lines, facial expressions and body motions looked choppy and uncomfortable. However, was this his fault? Not necessarily. The actors in the movie were simply incorrect for it. First of all, I cannot classify Tyler Perry as a top of the line actor, but he is not horrible. He has been in some good movies and has had me rolling on the floor a couple of times. Not only was he working out of his comfort zone (very noticeably so), but he was following the work of... wait for it... MORGAN EFFING FREEMAN. Not many can follow that. I think the most over directed person was probably Matthew Fox. The character he played made no sense. His actions and personality did not in any way shape or form link up with the books. The facial expressions and movements looked like they would work in a video game, but definitely not in a movie. We have seen him play a character with this type of background, so it could not be all his fault. I cannot describe what is wrong with Nana Mama in this movie. She showed none of the characteristics from the books that made me fall for the character. She acted almost as psychotic as the assassin. Fudged story line, over directing, character mismatches, failed relationship connections, on and on and on.

Not Bad, But Not Good Enough To Make Me Want To See More Of The Character

Author: sddavis63 (revsdd@gmail.com) from Durham Region, Ontario, Canada
22 February 2013

I'm not a big Tyler Perry fan, and in portraying Alex Cross he was stepping into some pretty big shoes, since the character had been twice played by Morgan Freeman (In Along Came A Spider and Kiss The Girls) - who I do like. So my expectation weren't exactly at a premium coming in. As far as Perry was concerned, I'd say he was all right in the role. He was nothing special; he wasn't Morgan Freeman. But he was all right. He had his own unique take on the character. Alex Cross in this movie is rougher, coarser, more violent - but just as cerebral in his own way. That evolution of the character was undoubtedly to allow this to take on more of an action feel, and it was fuelled by the plot device of having Cross's wife killed off by the serial killer he's trying to find. So for at least half of this movie, Cross is less the psychologist/detective and more the grieving husband seeking vengeance against his wife's killer. Honestly, it made the character somewhat less noble, and it made the movie somewhat over the top at times.

One thing that was definitely needed was a little better explanation of the serial killer and his motives - and of the motives of the guy who hired him. Another thing that would have helped would have been a bit more passion or energy in the performances. No one (including Perry) really stood out in this and took hold of the movie. I also wasn't clear on the need to kill off Monica (Rachel Nichols) - Cross's colleague. She was involved with Cross's other partner Kane (Edward Burns) but killing her off at virtually the same time Cross's wife was killed made her death fade away into the background a bit and we never really thought about it all that much.

However, there were some things that worked well. There were a few "cover your eyes" moments at the beginning, as the torture of the first victim was portrayed. The killing of Cross's wife (although it seemed, as I said, contrived more as a way of evolving the character than an integral and necessary part of the film) certainly brought some emotional reactions forth, and the final confrontation between Cross and the killer was pretty well done.

I wouldn't call this a failure. It's received some pretty bad reviews. I'm going to rate it as a 6/10, but I don't think it was good enough to result in any ongoing Alex Cross movies, if that was the intention of the producers.

It's "Watchable"

Author: Chris L. from United States
14 February 2013

Alex Cross wasn't a action packed, edge of your seat type of movie. I do believe that was what it was supposed to be. The movie is what I would call "watchable". That means you can watch it from start to finish, without trying to poke your eyes out afterwards. It was a decent movie. Let me just say, it was better that anything else I've seen Tyler Perry in. The acting was okay.But let be real people...there was no Bruce Willis, or Selvester Stallone in it. If so, Alex Cross would get much higher than a "6" rating from me. I'm not going to say it was my favorite movie, I'm not going to say it was my most hated movie. Now it is not something I would constantly spend money on, like Star Wars. But, decent enough to watch.

P.s: Cicely Tyson needs to fire her agent fast. She is too good for this.

It was okay

Author: (bob-rutzel-1) from United States
12 February 2013

Detroit Detective Dr. Alex Cross (Tyler Perry) goes up against Picasso (Matthew Fox) an accomplished Hit-man who specializes in torture and pain for his victims. But, this time catching a killer is different because Picasso takes something from Cross.

Too often this felt rushed. The pacing was too fast when the police and Cross are talking about the case and following the leads. However when the story dealt with Cross' family this slowed to a crawl and too much time was spent there. Keep in mind that they had to give Cicely Tyson more screen time as Alex's mother.

The acting was good all around. Matthew Fox can play a scary dude. One might say John C. McGinley as Captain Rockwell exhibited forced anger (but that's his shtick) at times and it didn't fit some scenes as it was too over the top. Jean Reno, always good, has a small part in here.

Some good stunts and limited CGI rounded out the action for the most part. However (there you go again) the fight with Picasso was in subdued lighting and the cameraman had a hard time following the action as did we. The fight didn't end this. Cross needs to get the man who hired Picasso. See, we are still not done.

This must have been an earlier James Patterson novel made to a movie because in here Cross is considering joining the FBI in Washington, DC. The other two novels - also made into movies - are: ALONG CAME A SPIDER and KISS THE GIRLS both starring Morgan Freeman as Dr. Alex Cross and both movies had him in DC. But with the FBI? Cannot recall. Still this was okay. (5/10)

Violence: Yes. Sex: No. Nudity: No. Torture: Yes, in the beginning. Hollywood seems to like torture. Language: Soft stuff and very brief.

When devotion becomes a bit too much to ask

Author: Steve Pulaski from United States
6 February 2013

We've seen Alex Cross before, in numerous other detective films, and even if we haven't, or can't quite recall where, somehow we arrive at the expected conclusion in our heads roughly twenty-five minutes before the characters of the film do. This isn't the first time the title character, spawned from numerous novels by acclaimed author James Patterson (none of which read by me), has made his appearance on film, with Morgan Freeman last inhabiting the role in Along Came a Spider in 2001, which was a sequel to Kiss the Girls in 1997.

Now, in 2012, the filmmakers of Alex Cross clearly want two things to happen. They want to foster an action franchise with known cross-dressing comedian Tyler Perry in the title role, and they want his devoted fans, who show up opening weekend for his "Madea" films, to watch these films out of blatant curiosity. Despite not enjoying two of his previous pictures, I came to liking Tyler Perry in the role of an apparently smart detective. I employ the phrase "apparently smart" to note that never do we see just why Cross has gone on to receive that comment by all his colleagues and close friends. I guess when you enter a room filled with dead people and immediately state that one person committed the homicides is stunning confidence, everyone around you just goes along for the ride.

As established, our title character is Tyler Perry, a detective and psychologist living in Detroit with his loving wife Maria (Carmen Ejogo). Cross works with Tommy (Edward Burns) and Monica (Rachel Nichols), his partners who are secretly having an affair behind his back. It's also made clear that Cross and his wife Maria want to leave Detroit, because she is pregnant and wants to free both of them from the seamy Detroit area.

Yet with these stories there's always an "until..." Until a sociopathic killer who calls himself "Picasso" (Matthew Fox) enters the picture, after killing a woman named Fan Yau (Stephanie Jacobsen), who assists in running an enormous corporation. Cross predicts that the other heads of the corporation may be next, such as Giles Mercier (Jean Reno), and so the race to stop "Picasso" begins.

Give the performers some deserved credit. Perry plays his role with marginal sophistication, clearing establishing to his fanbase that may or may not be in the audience, and to others who have undoubtedly heard his name a few times, that he has the ability or the ambition to be diverse and layered. Fox also plays a convincing villain, although he's thanklessly underwritten and left without really much elaborate to do, thanks to the neutered PG-13 rating.

But the rather mild nature of Alex Cross doesn't bother me as much as the needlessness for this project or the half-baked story. From the lukewarm reception of Morgan Freeman's "Cross" films, to the uninspired aftertaste this film left many viewers, it's apparent to the public that while Alex Cross can certainly give a book a title and a legion of fans, it doesn't guarantee cinematic success. As much as I loathe the ignorant phrase of "the book is better than the movie," it would appear that the book can not be efficiently adapted to a movie. Writers Marc Moss and Kerry Williamson juggle juggle too many characters, a feeble plot, and Rob Cohen conducts exposition with boredom and action sequences with incoherency. The climatic fight between Cross and "Picasso" not only feels forced, but features some of the worst videography and direction I've seen this year - right up there with Olivier Megaton's Taken 2.

If Tyler Perry's legion of followers sought out Alex Cross, I commend them for their devotion and optimism. Whether or not they liked it is a mystery to me, but things aren't looking so hot in terms of overall reception. For them to seek out a sequel would be asking too much.

Starring: Tyler Perry, Matthew Fox, Edward Burns, Rachel Nichols, Cicely Tyson, and Jean Reno. Directed by: Rob Cohen.

A step above a generic action movie because of Fox's character. Movie is OK and worth seeing but Perry was a bad choice. I say B

Author: Tony Heck (cosmo_tiger@hotmail.com) from United States
4 February 2013

"I'm just looking for a bad guy." Homicide detective Alex Cross (Perry) is on the trail of a vicious serial killer (Fox). After wreaking havoc over the town Alex risks everything when his wife becomes a victim. He must use all his skills to stop the madman from killing again. I haven't seen the movies Kiss The Girls or Along Came A Spider so I wasn't really sure what to expect from this one. This is a "prequal" of sorts so I guess this is a good one to start with. I have to admit that the movie itself was OK. A little generic but saved by Matthew Fox. He was over the top creepy in this and really kept me interested. The down side was Tyler Perry. I will say that I am not a big fan of his but at least he stays in his comfort zone and knows what his fans want. This role is a departure for him but I just don't buy him as an action star at all. I don't know if it was him or his acting but I seemed distracted by him almost the entire time. Again though the movie itself is OK and worth seeing at least once. Overall, not a bad movie but would have been better if Perry wasn't the lead. I give it a B.

A peculiar thriller... With comic characters and tragic events

Author: Bene Cumb from Estonia/Tallinn
8 January 2013

The plot is rather weak, like a mixed porridge, lots of clichés, unlikely actions/activities and predictable ending. The titular character is played by Tyler Perry - who is totally unknown to me, and he is beneath notice in comparison with Morgan Freeman, who has played Alex Cross twice before. Supporting characters are more catchy, first and foremost Matthew Fox as Picasso (convincing villain), Jean Reno as Giles Mercier (glib billionaire) and Edward Burns as Tommy Kane (reckless cop); they probably agreed to play is this movie due to reputation of the director Rob Cohen, I guess.

There are hundreds of crime thrillers better than this out there, even in 2012; for instance, Safe House with Denzel Washington. Alex Cross is a kind of killing-time stuff, nothing special (however, not a flop either).

I really wanted to like this, but....

Author: scottcloney
30 October 2012

I was very excited when I heard about this movie, Alex Cross has always been one of my favorite characters and I was a big fan of the two older movies. I knew they would have to replace Morgan Freeman as he was too old to convincingly play Alex Cross anymore and I'll admit that I was not terribly happy to start with whom they chose.

However, Tyler Perry is not the problem with this movie. The actors in this film( Perry, Edward Burns, Rachel Nichols, Jean Reno and Matthew Fox) all do relatively good jobs with what they are given. The acting was never so bad that it distracted me from the movie and at times was pretty good. The writing and directing were nothing short of pathetic though.

I watched this movie and couldn't help but feel that they rushed the whole thing. No plot point is ever explained and no character development ever occurs. All characters except for Det. Cross are never, ever given any kind of development and very little of what these characters do makes any sense. Why would a professional assassin, who presumably has been doing this for a while, suddenly completely deviate from the way he does things to go after some police officers ,who managed to almost stop him only from a clue he gave them for no apparent reason to begin with. How could this guy have managed to kill people for so long if he was so erratic? Why does MAJOR SPOILER**** Jean Reno hire the hit-man in the first place, surely there are better ways to fake your death to cover money laundering than to hire a psychotic hit-man that you can't control.

This movie could have used another ten to fifteen minutes to develop some story lines and flesh out the ones they have. I wanted to like this movie, but in the end it made about the least sense of any movie I have seen in 10 years. I'd love to see Perry get another crack at Dr. Cross but as this is bombing pretty bad, I am pretty sure they have killed this character.

So very sad....

Why Was This Movie Even Made?

Author: thelastplace from United States
10 May 2014

I've been reading James Patterson for 20 years and have read ALL the Alex Cross books. This piece of crap was made for the money and no other reason. And from the posted gross, that didn't work either. First, the two previous movies were based on Alex Cross books, 'Along Came A Spider' and 'Kiss the Girls'. This was a made up story that is too predictable. Second, the partner, Thomas Kane, is NOT Cross' partner. He has NEVER had a partner except John Sampson. Third, Maria would have been dead BEFORE this movie, not in this movie. Fourth, set in DETROIT, not D.C. where it should have been set. I don't remember a single story where Alex Cross worked in Detroit, let alone lived there. Fifth, Cicely Tyson, as good as she is, was WRONG for the role of Nana Mama. Should I go on? If you love Alex Cross, stay away from this piece of garbage.

Deleted scenes would improve movie

Author: Atlvid from United States
19 June 2013

The DVD deleted scene with Cross figuring out the height & weight of the villain would have gone a long way to giving credibility to the character - rather than thinking he knew every thing just because he read the script. The other deleted scenes also added more to the story. Matthew Fox's transformation from his Lost character to Picasso was amazing. Switching from a good cop to bad cop seemed arbitrary and way over done. The director seemed to just go through the motions without regard for how the story would be viewed. Parts of his DVD commentary regarding current politicians and how he avoided taxes were pathetic and should have been excised by the producers.

Oh hey... A Tyler Perry movie I could sit through

Author: tiericafe from Australia
1 May 2013

Tyler Perry's, Alex Cross, wasn't even that bad considering the other movies he's made. So basically the movie was very average and the only thing holding it together was Matthew Fox's role. Typically, it starts off with the usual cliché 'save the day' scenario where Perry''s character, the Almighty Detective Alex Cross, catches yet another bad guy. After this ever so tiresome day of ridding the city from evil its clear his life is going smoothly; receiving news of his unborn child and a promising job opportunity at the FBI, what could possibly go awry? Cue in Mr. Fox. Matthew Fox is incredibly believable in his role as Picassso, a psychotic killer using unthinkable methods to torture his victims. His presence in the film was riveting which had you rooting for him rather than the police achieving justice. The movie in my opinion is a 5. When Cross' wife is shot by Picasso it is emphasized in the film with the scene of the death and funeral however when one of his fellow police mates are tortured and killed by Picasso its like no one cared. The movie probably mentioned it in two lines and that was it. It was if it was swept underneath the rug. So unrealistic. And the fact that Cross predicted the arrival of Picasso two seconds before he actually arrived in the last scene made me roll my eyes so hard I was borderline having a stroke. If I was deducting points from this movie for all the loose ends and its unrealistic nature, the score would be non existent. So I now present this film with 4 points for Matthew Fox's great achievement in portraying a crazy bug eyed killer and 1 point for Tyler Perry actually hiring Matthew Fox. Kudos Tyler Perry! At least you got something right.

Perry's Cross to Bear

Author: whatashleyknows from Canada
23 December 2012

I am generally a pretty big fan of Tyler Perry's films, though he is "hated on" a lot, I do feel that his stories are worth telling, HOWEVER, he should stick to his own films because it has been an awfully long time since I forced myself to sit through such a horrible film. From the opening scene to the closing, this was one frustrating scene after another.

The opening scene...where do I start? The cheesiest, tackiest film shots, music, and dialogue I've ever seen in a "serious" film since the 70's. And it continues from there. One particular shot where the "bad guy", Fox, cuts off the fingers of a victim yet there appears to be no blood on the weapon that he is holding in his hands in the same scene. What kind of director misses that?!?! The acting is atrocious as is the character development. There is no flow in any way shape or form.

I can't seem to find anything positive to review about this film so I'll leave it at that.

Waste of good material

Author: kevinmorice from United Kingdom
20 December 2012

How you take an Alex Cross book, add Matthew Fox as the villain, and turn out this nonsense is beyond me.

Surely at the very worst you watch the Morgan Freeman movies and hire someone to do an impression? Or at least look at the scripts of those and see what worked?

Some of the action is so silly that it is hilarious. Picasso is such a good fighter he takes on the local MMA champion and ends his career with minimal effort, but he can't beat an out-of- shape, middle-age Cross who has a broken arm.

Some of the suspense is even worse. One of the cops is tortured and killed off and it isn't even referenced. His wife is killed off and he is back at work the day after and chasing the killer.

And then there are the stupid things that they add in just to make visuals. Why on earth are there a load of viewing hatches in the water pipe? This is so obviously done just so we can watch the villain in the pipe and is beyond stupid.

Crippled by a weak supporting cast and a poor script!

Author: varghesejunior from India
18 December 2012

Let me start by confessing that I never considered Tyler Perry to be the right match to play the legendary doctor-detective Alex cross on the big screen.

The only reason I was drawn toward this film was Matthew Fox. I felt this movie watching this movie would be the only way I could appreciate his dedication and hard work, clearly evident by the effort he put into chiseling his body to suit the appearance of a psycho-sadist serial killer.

I was however pleasantly surprised by Perry's performance, contrary to my opinion he pulls of this role quite appreciably, although I still believe Idris Alba would've been a better choice. What is strikingly disappointing about this film is the poor performance of the supporting actors. Starting from the Chief of police to Tyler's partner Thomas Kane everyone looks misplaced, Kane struggles to reproduce even the most basic of emotions on screen.

The next obvious flaw about this film is the script, in one particular scene of the movie, Alex cross talks to his wife about getting a job with the FBI because it has a better pay & 'dental' that should probably sum it up for you.

Apart from the reasonably good performances by Perry and Fox the only other appreciable points of this movie are probably the score and a couple of well filmed action scenes. It's worth a miss.

I knew it...

Author: Beauq81 from Belgrade
13 December 2012

Whenever I see a "how it was made" on TV and hear the cast and crew talk about the movie, the characters and each other with adoration, I just know the movie will suck. When I heard Rachel Nichols talk about her character, it reminded me of Keri Russell talking about hers in Mission Impossible 3, and I was right - just like Lindsey Farris, Monica Ashe dies in the first half of the movie. And you can just see it throughout the movie that her faith is sealed.

Tyler Perry and Rob Cohen praised Morgan Freeman's portrayal and said that Perry will bring a new perspective and freshness to the role. Let me tell you, I really would have preferred to see Freeman, even at his age - especially at his age - wield a shotgun and fight Picasso. Tyler Perry just doesn't have the same emotional depth, though, I have to admit, he does look scary when he's out for blood.

I won't say it was a complete waste of time, but it still was. There were some scenes that reminded me more of a soap opera, than of an action thriller. Everyone overacted their parts and the dialog was pretty cheesy, but I can't really blame the actors for that, because it's the director who, well - directs.

I have nothing against bad movies. It is the best way to see what is good, but, please, at least make them cheap! I hate to see all that money go to waste when there are people with more creativity, but less funding.

P.S. A month ago, when I wrote the first part, I hadn't yet read a single Alex Cross book. Since then, I read the first 3 and started the 4th and, though most of my previous statements still stand, I do have to say that Tyler Perry is physically closer to the image of Cross I had while reading the book, than Morgan Freeman.

Funniest tag-line of the year.

Author: FlashCallahan from Leicester, United Kingdom
10 December 2012

So we get the sort of prequel to the other movies, and the first thing you realise is that the film is woefully miscast.

Perry should stick to wearing a dress, because he is the poor mans Alex Cross, and I couldn't help but think that he just couldn't be bothered.

Saying that though, it's not as bad as many say. It's not good, but then I have a penchant for thrillers that were released in the very late nineties (Switchback, 8MM, The Jackal, Mercury Rising) and this feels so much like one of those.

Fox and Burns are the best things in the movie, while Jean Reno makes a special guest appearance playing an embarrassed fat European in a turkey, much like Gerard Depiedieu (whatever) in Babylon A.D.

The film never really bothers the grey matter, The villain is pantomime evil, and Perry has a fight at the end hanging from a ceiling.

I do hate myself for enjoying the film as much as I did, but then again, any film with a rocket launcher can't be that bad.

It's predictable, with some atrocious characters (Hi Mom!), but somehow, it's watchable.

Welcome back 1997.

His best movie

Author: Pamela Foster from United States
27 October 2012

I know I am in the minority here but I really enjoyed Tyler getting out of that dress and playing a masculine role. Some have commented on his acting skills..yes there is a lot for him to work on but this is by far his best role!! So many people have complained that he was pigeon holing himself with his Madea character and I do agree. However he is trying to cross (no pun intended) over into a new genre and now people are up in arms about that. You can't win for losing with some. I really believe he can transform into an "actor" if he keeps receiving parts that actually challenge him and not stay in his comfort zone and cash cow characters. All in all I was impressed that he took a chance.

the glass is half full

Author: buli-gadol from bangkok, thailand
26 October 2012

it could have been a great movie...it had a good script,great actor Matthew Fox as never seen before - reminded me the joker Heath Ledger version a bit... but other than that....disappointing. a lot of boring dialogs,fast forwarding important parts in the tail on the other hand ???!!! and ending fight scene that looked like it was shoot on a smart phone camera that made everybody in the cinema feel dizzy :)))

it's a shame really...i hope we get to see Matthew fox again soon but under a better director.

not of a cinema movie anyway as too lack of action or 3d special effects i guess it will go out to your nearest blockbuster soon if nothing else is available...take it :)

Tyler Perry isn't the problem........

Author: julianmarksmith from United Kingdom
8 November 2012

I'm a big fan and current reader of another James Patterson novel. I must admit though, that in my head, I see Morgan Freeman in the role as I read and was not looking forward to seeing another actor take his place.

I'll further add that I'm English and had no idea who Tyler Perry was before looking him up on IMDb. Having said that I thought he did a pretty good job.

My overall criticism of this movie is that it's just not that good. I know it's rare that a book translates to the screen in the same way but with Patterson on the team I thought it'd work better than this. The books build suspense page after page and you're gripped, on the edge of your seat at every turn, but this movie just 'got things done' asap! Oohhh! someone is murdered, oohhh! someone is in trouble, oohhh the hero's wife is murdered, so we're supposed to care more and then the cop goes 'rogue' against the political Captain's wishes but is saved in the end by his partner 'who knows him better than anyone else'!! Such a shame, James Patterson's books are awesome, however, their translations never are...........!

Not Bad...

Author: popimassey from United States
1 November 2012

I admit that I was very hesitant to see this movie after reading the user reviews, but I must say that it was better than I thought. Although Tyler Perry, who is known more for his comedic roles than drama/action, wasn't a Denzel, he held his own on this one and with more opportunities, could be a pretty good action hero.

You can only do so much with what you're given, and **SPOILER ALERT** they focused a bit to much on some of the more somber parts of the movie, it still added to the emotion of why Cross wanted to capture Picasso.

Overall, I would recommend seeing it on the big screen if you're a fan of Tyler Perry, or just want to go and see a decent action flick.

Fox's finest hour.

Author: groovin_moovin_dancer
4 December 2012

So this film is not a masterpiece of action cinema and I most likely won't be watching this film again. But, despite what everyone is saying, I found this film enjoyable while it lasted.

I found both the antagonist and the protagonist engaging enough to hold my interest until the final act, especially Fox who really delivered a brilliant performance here. The support performances aren't great, and they seem to have no real heart as characters, but there are sideline characters that are really brilliant.

The action sequences are a little blurry and it is hard to tell who is punching who, but they do their job and they aren't overburdened throughout the film.

Everything in this film is pulled off well enough to keep you engaged, and although you won't be blown away I don't think you will be disappointed either.

Tyler Perry is no Morgan Freeman

Author: DarkVulcan29 (DarkVulcan29@aol.com) from United States
22 October 2012

Alex Cross(Tyler Perry) a cop, who becomes a target by a crazed hired killer(Matthew Fox), after Cross and his team thwarted a hit of his. Now Cross gets pulled in a deadly game of cat and mouse. He must think like him, in order to stop him, but the question is will he?

Tyler Perry is so miscast here, watching him in the movie, to me he just seems so out of place. But I'll give him credit, he does play the part to the best of his advantage, although Idris Elba would have been a better choice. Now Matthew Fox really takes this film, has the hired killer who really loves his job a little too much. He is just flat out creepy, I think he was channeling Malcolm McDowell from A Clockwork Orange(1971). There are some good tense scenes, but others rely on shaky cam and that got really annoying. Morgan Freeman made this role in Kiss The Girls(1997) and Along Came a Spider(2001). Tyler Perry is awesome,but let's face it he is no Morgan Freeman.

Decent action flick

Author: raisleygordon from Ladson, SC
25 November 2012

"Alex Cross", fortunately, is not as mediocre as I thought it would be. It's a pretty decent movie, if you can make it past, say, the setup. But Perry is no Morgan Freeman. He's not bad, but if he wants to play this character again, or even star in anything non-Madea, or anything not based on his plays, then he'll have to keep doing movies like this (or anything else non-Madea) to make his acting truly worthwhile. One of the highlights of the movie: When the villain blows up some of Downtown Ohio (or Detroit, I don't know where this takes place) from the subway.

*** out of ****

It's an OK movie, but not Alex Cross from any of the books.

Author: cmdinny
21 October 2012

I read several reviews of this movie before I went and I was expecting the worst movie ever, but for the first show price of $6, I figured I try it anyway. Overall, it wasn't as bad as people said. When I heard this movie was being made with Tyler Perry, I was so excited. Alex Cross is one of my favorite characters of all time.I had seen the other movies with Morgan Freeman, which I loved, but Morgan Freeman was too old and physically not the Alex Cross of the books. I love James Patterson's flair for bringing to life such a strong, likable, noble character. The Alex Cross of this movie was not that man. Tyler Perry's Alex was strong and likable and mostly noble, but he was not the literary character I love. Tyler Perry definitely had the feel for him, but the writing of this screenplay was terrible. I understand that by moving the setting from DC to Detroit, film makers gave a much needed boost to the depressed economy in Detroit. I applaud that. However, one of the key elements in Alex Cross's character is his devotion to the neighborhood he grew up in and its people. John Sampson is his best friend, and a black man. Adding Edward Burns' character made this more appealing to white viewers, I guess. Another change seems to be that Nana Mama is now Alex's mother, not grandmother and Janelle (daughter) is older than Damon (son). There were one or two other nods to the various novels, but different. Stupid little changes that Hollywood made, but it looks like James Patterson signed off on, if the JP Enterprises that produced this film is his company. I am glad I saw this movie. It was certainly better than other action movies in the last few years, but it was disappointing. I assume they'll make another one. I'll see that too probably since I am a fan of both Tyler Perry and Edward Burns. The best part of this movie, acting-wise, was Matthew Fox. He was so out of character as the psycho killer and almost hard to look at with his physical changes (weight loss, hair cut). He was downright creepy and his unique ways of carrying out his plans kept my interest. Go see it. Worth at a matinée price.

Alex wanna be Bond

Author: pensman from United States
19 October 2012

What happened? Did Patterson just sell the title of the novel and pocket the money? This is not Alex Cross. If you are a Tyler Perry fan then maybe this is the movie for you but if you are a fan of the character then stay with the books or wait for better casting. When did Cross go from being a profiler to action hero? Morgan Freeman nailed the character and maybe he felt himself too old but Perry? There is the requisite noise here with explosions and such but overall this is a very cheap man's Bond and I mean cheap. If there was a budget it isn't up there on the screen. Thank God my friends shelled out for this because I thought this should have gone straight to DVD.

Where's Morgan?

Author: Catt Jones (cattjones@chixchatonfilm.com) from TX, United States
19 October 2012

I want to start off by saying that I have never read a James Patterson novel, nor did I see Morgan Freeman's interpretation of Alex Cross. This film is about a gun for hire who takes particular enjoyment in sadistically killing his marks. I think that the story was okay, but there was nothing fantastic about it. It was pretty much your run of the mill crime drama that could have probably aired on Criminal Minds on television. Tyler Perry (Dr. Alex Cross) steps out of his usual comedic role to take a stab at the action genre. I don't think that Tyler did a bad job, but I guess that the role would have been more believable with Denzel or Indris. It just seems like some of the emotional aspects of his acting seemed a bit forced, but I have to say that the fight scenes were well choreographed. It seems like Cicely Tyson (Nana Mama) appears in every film that Tyler is in or makes. I like Cicely and I am just glad that she is still getting roles and getting paid. You go, girl! Matthew Fox (Picasso) plays one crazy nut job. However, some of the stuff that he does in this film, I have seen before. His tactics was not new or surprising. I would have really liked it if the writers would have come up with a new and more twisted torture method. Not that I am into torture or anything, but I am into originality. Edward Burns (Tommy Kane) is Alex's partner and lifelong friend. He is ultimately as eager as Alex to hunt down this lunatic for reasons that become clear in the film. Giancarlo Esposito (Daramus Holiday) appears to be popping up all over the place lately. I remember first seeing him in Spike Lee's Do the Right Thing and now he also has a major role in Revolution on television. Good for him. To sum things up, the film did keep my attention and the story was good, but I am not sure that this is a film that belongs on the big screen. I hope that they are not thinking about turning this into a franchise, but that probably depends on how well the film does at the box office. Maybe Morgan Freeman did a better job than Tyler. I may have to go back and check out his version. I give this film an amber light.

Tyler Perry and Matthew Fox are the best part 6/10

Author: Cunnilingilator from United States
9 July 2012

I have not ready the books or seen either of the previous films. Also I have only seen parts of Tyler Perry's other movies and that was enough to let me know I didn't want to watch any more. That being said, I felt that Tyler Perry's performance was very believable and very different than what I was expecting. At points in the film he is a bad-ass (albeit a bit overweight, but hey not all heroes hit the treadmill) and at others he is quite likable. He has some some quick and funny dialogue that he looked very at home with. All in all I now believe he is a pretty decent actor especially when comparing to his other "characters."

Matthew Fox plays an intense dude. Check out the images section to see what I'm talking about. He plays the insanity factor pretty hard and at times feels like he is nearing the "full retard" line but he never quite jumps the shark. It's sort of hit and miss. At times it's extremely effective and at others it seems a bit overdone. As a whole, pretty effective, and definitely crazy.

I liked Edward Burns as Alex's partner and Rachel Nicols as the third in their team. I was disappointed with basically everything else in the movie. Acting was for the rest of the characters pretty downright bad (with the exception of Dr. Cox who was acceptable). The stunts, aside from a cool fight scene in a business office, were pretty lame. The cinematography was average. The script was too heavy handed and convenient. The dialogue was good but the situations were not so much. It sort of felt like they were trying too hard to be gritty and raw.

Seriously though Tyler Perry is BY FAR better than you are expecting. Go see it just to have your perception of him shattered a bit.

Very good film !

Author: Alex Hawkridge from England
19 March 2013

This film was amazing i came on IMDb to look at the rating and i was shocked to see it so low after i watched the trailer and now i have watched the film i can not understand why ? WHY ? isn't this a good film it has a very good storyline , it has good acting in it which i saw was criticized a lot and the whole film was awesome and bursting with action and thrill so it is beyond me why people hate it seriously i don't understand like people what is wrong with you half of the reviews and 'film buffs' i see on this site are silly your just petty and its like someone saying that there food wasn't good cos a chip was a different shape but yeah great film , great story and great acting GO WATCH NOW !!!!!!!!!!

An Entertaining Cop Film without unnecessary gore

Author: MJ_Brewer from United States
9 March 2013

James Patterson is a favorite writer and always manages to pull action out of any scenario; be great to see this fabricated action in a school setting. But Alex Cross is a terrific character, although Tyler Perry doesn't fit the mold as this character, as Alex is described as tall and confident, but without the paunch Tyler boasts in the shirtless scene.

The storyline was good, although some of the parts were skimmed over and not a lot of thought put into them. When Ed Burns is injured and instead of asking, "What the hell happened?" simply says, "Yeah, go ahead," giving his approval for his partner to leave him stunned and bloody.

The editing was okay, but Rob Cohen failed miserably in the last big fight. He had the cameraman shaking so much it appeared as if he were part of the brawl. The audience is trying hard to figure out where they are themselves, that the scene itself is secondary and the adrenaline is replaced by confusion. Bad, Rob, bad.

The casting of characters was adequate, such as Yara Shahidi as his daughter, who was able to cry at the right point. The continuous squinting to force the tears took away from the acting. The already present tears would have served better than additional forced ones. But the gasping and choking she did was fantastic.

The use of tetrodotoxin was fairly original, but I'm unsure if the place it would be found would be a seedy and dilapidating hotel room, since it is contrived from pufferfish and other water based creatures. Usually obtained from someone a bit more "money"? Plus it takes less than half a milligram to kill a 170 lb. person. The dose the killer used was about 2 ounces... overkill, Mr. Professional Killer? I think so, seeing how it 100 times more toxic than potassium cyanide. Again, an oversight of the director. And while most might not observe this, there are those that do pay attention and they want to be entertained.

Despite the observations for improvement, I was intrigued enough to watch the entire film and enjoyed myself.

Matthew Fox OWNS this film, worth it for his performance

Author: elmeeksio from United Kingdom
18 December 2012

For those of you who maybe haven't heard of Alex Cross before let me give you a couple of other names… 'Morgan Freeman'..'Along Came the Spider'… ring any bells now? Yes this is Alex Cross as in the Sherlock-esque police detective Freeman brought to screen in two previous 90's movies, however this new story arc stands on it's own and quite frankly I think this film has been given an unfair rap. It isn't the best movie out there, no, but it certainly doesn't deserve the amount of 1 or 2 star reviews I have been reading.

In fairness there was one major thing I liked about this film…but it was such a big part that it made the film for me…that was…Matthew Fox.

I LOVED his role in this film. It's almost as though the film deserved to be about him and not Tyler Perry's Alex Cross. Fox plays 'Picasso' a truly twisted and violent hit-man for hire. He starts the film on a clear path to carry out the assassination of 3 high profile people, and after the first is taken care of we see him suddenly sparking the attention of Alex Cross and his team. This is when the film changes. and so does Picasso. Fox plays this character so believably sinister and unpredictable that you are genuinely not sure what he is going to do next. For fans of him from 'Lost'..you won't believe how he looks in this film. He must have lost around 3 stone in fat, yet bulked up on muscle at the same time..he looks unbelievably bad ass!! When he's on screen you're on the edge of your seat wondering what will happen, and in a totally non-sicko way, I found myself routing for him the entire film.

Now the bad bits… I thought Tyler Perry was wrong for this film. We are used to seeing him in drag in stupid terrible comedies and letting him take on a role made famous by Morgan 'frickin' Freeman was a mistake. He does nothing to command the screen and every time he is there doing his sherlocky CSI sh*t I was waiting for him to go away so I could see Picasso again. Not a good sign for your leading man.

I would actually love to see a spin off based on Fox's character..i would definitely pay to see that, but otherwise this one is probably going to end up going under the radar as one of those under-rated movies that only a few people appreciate.

A nice movie but...

Author: Jens Chr. Thomsen from Denmark
14 December 2012

I like this movie it was a nice story and okay plot. The characters was okay, but I did not recognize Matthew Fox, just after when I went to IMDb to comment the movie i saw it was him. He did play really good in this movie. He was a cold killer and he did it good.

I just did not like most of the actions scenes. I really hate it when they move the camera to fast. Why do they do that now? I hate it. For me it does not make it more realistic it makes me sick to watch. I hope they will stop this in future films.

So okay movie but please cut out those fast moving cameras.

Sorry for my bad English I'm danish. And I'm new to IMDb.

Tyler Perry is no Morgan Freeman

Author: jaxbubba from THE FARIS REEL on Facebook
29 October 2012

A very promising film with plenty of potential; however, it fails miserably in delivery. Although adapted from the worldwide best-selling novels of James Patterson, director Rob Cohen and actor Tyler Perry are unable to bring to the screen the highly intellectual/analytical skills that author James Patterson and actor Morgan Freeman are able to develop from within the pages of Mr. Patterson's manuscript. This is not a horrendous motion picture; however, it pales in comparison to other films of this movie character/genre (Kiss the Girls, Along Came a Spider, Se7en).

Tyler Perry of the infamous Madea franchise is Alex Cross. Cross is a Detroit homicide detective and psychologist, who possesses a highly honed skill of perception and deduction. During the initial crime scene investigation of a local influential Detroit socialite, Detective Cross is able to thwart the film's antagonist, Michael "The Butcher" Sullivan, next projected victim. "The Butcher" played wonderfully by Matthew Fox (LOST), decides to turn his attentions to Detective Cross and his team. Michael "The Butcher" Sullivan (Fox) is a masochist, who relishes in inflicting pain and torture on his victims; however, this is another issue that isn't really clearly brought across well to the audience. I believe if this film would have been centered more on "the Butcher" character, it would have been a better film, he was far more interesting than the Cross character.

Again this is not an awful film; by all accounts it's a very mediocre film. Tyler Perry is no Morgan Freeman!! Where Perry decides to use brute force and inflict pain to get answers to track down the film's antagonist; Morgan would use his brain and superior intellect. Where Perry is motivated by revenge; Freeman would be seeking justice. It's just two different interpretations of the same resource material. My recommendation would be to re-watch the Morgan Freeman's persona of the Alex Cross character (i.e.- Kiss the Girls, Along Came a Spider), and leave Tyler Perry to personify his Madea character.

SEE MORE OF MY REVIEWS ON FB @ "THE FARIS REEL"

Trailer Enticed, Movie Didn't Deliver

Author: DannaAnna from United States
28 October 2012

The movie's trailer is better than the movie! The trailer seem to be an indication that at least someone knows what the audience wants to see however, they fail to deliver the movie promised. The best scenes were in the trailer. Ah, don't you just hate when this type of enticement happens. The movie was too predictable (I volunteered to go and get the popcorn and drinks refilled); the development of storyline was haphazardly done; and sadly, you found yourself rooting for the bad guy. (I am looking forward to Matthew Fox's next action movie.)

This director should take lessons from the directors of action stars such as Bruce Willis, Tom Cruise, Mel Gibson, Will Smith,etc. These directors all seem to have been educated at school of "knowing what the audience wants and delivering it." The characters these actors portray always seems to get into the thick of it and yes they end up bloodied and bruised, but still the heroes. Tyler Perry's character gets blown across the room and get up and nothings broken or bruised and he didn't even lose a button. Although, I must admit to enjoying the exchange between the actors when they were deciding who would use the finger to open the safe. This may have possibly been the best exchange between them in the entire movie.

The person or persons that put together the movie's trailer should have directed the movie. If they are one in the same, then I say that you should have used the trailer as an outline to make a better movie.

Mediocre film with some amazing moments

Author: Lars Liebrand from Netherlands
11 December 2012

Alex Cross isn't the best movie out there, by far. let's be clear about that. Some directors choices I thought were poorly thought through and Cohen really took a quite deep story to put on the screen, while we know him from some of the easier to digest action flicks.

So why the 7? Why watch this while there are so many gems out there?

To be honest, Matthew Fox. I loved his role in this movie, he's truly sinister and when he's on screen you'll be at the tip of your seat wondering what he will do next! I personally didn't dislike Tyler Perry as well, I believed him in some of the more emotional scenes in the movie.

don't get me wrong, this isn't my recommended movie for 2012. But it is a roller-coaster ride you'll enjoy as long as you see it for what it is: A action movie that touches the thriller genre in some nice ways. But never really becomes great.

Thanks Matthew Fox, you MADE this movie Perry, keep it up, you'll get there

A Nutshell Review: Alex Cross

Author: DICK STEEL from Singapore
1 December 2012

James Patterson's fictional creation, the forensic psychologist Alex Cross, is no stranger to the world of movies, after having graced the big screen in films like Kiss the Girls, and Along Came a Spider, both of which were productions more than a decade ago, with the leading character played by Morgan Freeman. In Alex Cross, Tyler Perry takes over the mantle to play a much younger Cross at the cusp of his joining the FBI, subject to gaining the approval of his wife Maria (Carmen Ejogo) to uproot the family to Washington D.C, but now having to face an assassin (Matthew Fox) who is running around town performing his assigned hits.

Like Sherlock Holmes, this cinematic interpretation of Alex Cross bears the same uncanny powers of deduction, but that's it, with few scenes to show off that prowess, then decided it's best that Cross also becomes as brawny as he is brainy. It's certain of an attempt to build a much larger universe for the character to operate in for future installments, but alas having key supporting characters laid to waste, which is a pity. Edward Burns, playing Tommy Kane, who should be the equivalent of Cross' best friend John Sampson in the books, gets largely isolated from the trailers and promotional materials, that for a role that's quite meaty here, it just spells trouble. And true enough, the many subplots introduced in this film, all get discarded when convenient, and you have that niggling feeling they're there to pad the film to make it feature length, because Tyler Perry versus Matthew Fox as hero against villain doesn't have too much ring to it, nor have too much material to get these two temporal adversaries going.

So in the end, this is quite unlike any of James Patterson's novel, other than in name and the featuring of few key characters. This is Marc Moss and Kerry Williamson's interpretation of the character, with making things up along the way, and in essence, turning Alex Cross into a generic hero who's lacking in personality and distinction to stand out from the crowded cop- action-thriller genres. And it'll be interesting to know if director Rob Cohen have had his wings clipped somewhat through the lack of a reasonably sized budget to deal with the action sequences he had in mind, because they were at best, rudimentary, with heavy use of poorly rendered CG to try and convince audiences that things really got blown up.

Drama isn't Cohen's forte, but Alex Cross is steeped in it, making the film seemed quite half- assed especially in pacing, with dramatic scenes inserted quite haphazardly that it makes the pace erratic. For instance, Cross and Kane get called into an investigation when a body turns up, and it took them quite a while in finally getting to the scene of the crime, which along the way we're treated to the two men's awkward banter about their relationships with their other half, and Cross' warning for Kane that business and pleasure don't mix well. By now you'll see the expected plot development coming, with the story trying to make audiences relate to and identify with these two working adults with their respective relationship woes. Their private issues become mixed up in their pursuit, and this provides for a more vested interest in closing the case with vendetta on their minds, which I thought was supposed to be a good move, should the scenes that follow contain a lot more emotional impact. What Tyler Perry and Edward Burns managed to do, is to only read their lines one at a time, totally blowing any acting awards out of the water.

Perhaps it was left to Matthew Fox to save the day. After all, his career in Tinseltown didn't really take off, and his radical role here may turn a lot more heads. As the tattooed, sociopath hit-man with a penchant for pain, both inflicted onto his victims and onto himself, for a while he brings about a somewhat refreshing take with his chiseled body used as a weapon to take down opponents, then turned bland rather quickly. But his character is more of an enigma, appearing at the beginning to show off what three million dollars can buy, with hits being exercised with precision, accuracy and the sick need to tear his victims apart. Like Cross, once the novelty wore off, he degenerated into yet another routine, a villain whose status got elevated just because he's the character who inflicted the most pain on Alex Cross, although their tough-talking with each other lacked the intensity one would expect since their adversity has become personal.

Alex Cross had promise and potential, after all there was two films in the past. However if this was intended to kickstart yet another franchise, I suppose the house has got to be in order, and to get the right director to tell the kind of story that needs to be told from any of James Patterson's source material.

Adequate crime thriller

Author: Neil Welch from United Kingdom
7 December 2012

James Patterson's character Dr Alex Cross is a Detroit detective who gets involved in the search for a hit-man who begins to take things a bit personally.

This film reintroduces us to Patterson's signature character in an adaptation of the first of many novels. Filling the shoes occupied by Morgan Freeman in two earlier films is Tyler Perry, an enormous fellow about whom I know nothing (although a quick wiki shows him to be quite industrious in areas which have failed to cross the Atlantic). Perry (like most elements of this movie) is adequate, in a generic "brainy cop chasing killer who is always one step ahead" crime thriller: this will be a tolerable film to catch when it comes round on TV.

There are two elements which are better than "adequate", however. One is some of the staging of some of the action sequences, which are genuinely exciting. And the other is Matthew Fox - yes, that nice Matthew Fox from Lost - whose hit-man is deeply unsettling. Unfortunately, by the end of the movie you know nothing about who he is or why he is like that, which is a shame: giving him some depth would have improved the story enormously.

Tyler Perry IS Alex Cross

Author: Lursa from Jackson, Mississippi
28 October 2012

!!Spoilers Ahead!! I went in prepared not to like this movie. I read some of the reviews and I was sure I was wasting my money. But I love Alex Cross. I have devoured the books and I know James Patterson has created on of the best characters ever. I was a bit worried about the casting of Tyler Perry. I detest the Madea movies and was praying that I would not see any camera mugging.

I was so surprised to actually enjoy the film and Tyler Perry's nuanced performance as Alex Cross. No disrespect to Morgan Freeman who is a monumental talent...but he was too old to play Alex Cross. I thought so at the time but he was all we had so I went with it. Tyler Perry is closer to the Alex of the books. He looks like I imagined Alex to look. He behaves in the way I have grown to expect from the books. I have read all the books and this is the first Alex Cross movie where I could see the character.

Tyler Perry can act! I didn't believe it but he can and he's GOOD! I've had issues in the past with his writing...but the man has some serious acting chops. His relationships with his children, Nana Mama, and Maria are all believable. His skills as a profiler are shown in several scenes and he doesn't push it over the top.

Matthew Fox was awesome as the assassin/bad guy Picasso/The Butcher of Sligo. He reveled in his evil and, while he tittered on the edge, always kept a hint of reality to his part. Matthew was scarily good. Thank god Rob Cohen didn't try to make the character sympathetic by trying to get us to 'understand' why he does what he does. The character is seriously twisted but smart enough to get someone to pay him to do what he does best. I'm so tired of the movie/TV villain getting 'Dexterized'. As James Patterson shows us in his books...sometimes evil just IS...there's no rational reason for it.

The reasons this review does not give the movie a higher rating are these...The location was changed from DC to Detroit...why? No reason except to set up the sequel. The kids are older than they should be at the time of Maria's death...okay I can go with that to a point. John Sampson is not in the movie. Granted who I was seeing in the part is the late Micheal Clarke Duncan and that didn't happen. Tyler is a big guy so it would take another big actor to fill the role of 'man mountain'...but still...I felt cheated with Tommy.

I'm giving Rob Cohen a pass here to make up for these points in the sequel. There had better be a sequel because one dose of Tyler Perry as Alex Cross is just not enough.

Underrated movie

Author: imran3000
9 December 2012

I watched this movie, not expecting much, but it turned out to be not bad at all. Movie starts slow and is wayward in beginning, somehow lacking focus and grip, but comes back on track rather quickly. Once its back on track, excitement is there, and keeps getting stronger by the middle of it.

Serial killer role is played well and convincing by Fox, story is strong, Tyler Perry's role is miscast or poorly written, minus that weakness, movie is worth watching. I think if lead was played by Will Smith or big name, movie might have been a blockbuster. But its worth watching, nonetheless.

Tyler Perry Crosses Over 2 Become An Action Star

Author: zardoz-13 from United States
23 October 2012

Taking Tyler Perry seriously in the role of the forensic psychologist that Morgan Freeman originated in the routine thriller "Kiss the Girls" (1997) and reprised in "Along Came A Spider" (2001) may challenge the African-American actor's fans who cannot envisage him without a wig and a dress. Aside from his most recent Madea comedy "Madea's Witness Protection," Perry has been testing the waters for such a move. He made a cameo appearance in the "Star Trek" reboot, and he played it straight in his own epic "Good Deeds." "Good Deeds" wasn't the standard-issue, Perry potboiler. Religious themes and comedic tropes were conspicuous by their absences in this entertaining melodrama. "Alex Cross" represents Perry's boldest move to alter his image. Actually, the New Orleans native doesn't appear as out of place as an action hero as many of his fans as well as critics proclaim. Helmed by Rob Cohen, who directed "The Fast and the Furious," "xXx," and "The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon," "Alex Cross" qualifies as a gritty, fast-paced, no-holds-barred, above-average police procedural with the title character committing criminal acts to thwart a sadistic professional assassin. Basically, when he isn't channeling Sherlock Holmes with his shrewd insights into the behavior of others, Perry strives to be like Dirty Harry Callahan. Indeed, our gun-toting hero breaks the very laws that he was sworn to uphold so he can nab a sadistic murderer who craves to inflict pain. You've got to give Perry credit for having the nerve to make such an outlandish change in his cinematic modus operandi.

A dastardly contract killer who calls himself the Butcher of Sligo (Matthew Fox of "Vantage Point") enjoys torturing the victims that he neither shoots nor blasts to smithereens. Motor City Detective Dr. Alex Cross (Tyler Perry), his long-time friend & colleague Detective Tommy Kane (Edward Burns of "Saving Private Ryan") and Detective Monica Ashe (Rachel Nichols of "Conan the Barbarian") set out to apprehend this felon after he kills a wealthy woman, Fan Yau (Stephanie Jacobsen), and guns down three bodyguards. This reprobate shears off several of Fan Yau's fingers before he obtains the information that he needs about his prime target. The Butcher of Sligo sets his sights on an affluent Frenchman, Leon Mercier (Jean Reno of "Armored"), who dreams about revitalizing Detroit. Cross knows they are contending with an expert who has already figured out every move and counter move that the police will make to catch him. When Cross and company confront the Butcher the first time in a high-rise where the villain has targeted white-collar types, they prove they aren't the usual doughnut munchers. Although the cunning killer eludes the police, Kane draws blood when one of his bullets nicks the bad guy in the shoulder. Nevertheless, the authorities cannot make a positive identification because this sadist has no criminal record. Eventually, Cross discovers that not even the man who hired the killer can identify him. After they find charcoal sketches that the killer plants at the crime scene, the cops nickname him 'Picasso.' Cross is surprised when this homicidal maniac goes after his unit and himself. One of the biggest surprises occurs when the killer botches an attempt on Cross, but not before he ices somebody close to our hero.

"Along Came A Spider" scenarists Marc Moss and freshman scribe Kerry Williamson have adapted James Patterson's twelfth novel and penned what would otherwise be an above-average crime thriller. Half of what makes "Alex Cross" so entertaining is the casting of Perry himself as an action hero. He delivers a believable, compelling performance as a Detroit detective pitted against a ruthless assassin. Director Rob Cohen handles the cat and mouse game between the hero and the villain with verve. While Perry acquits himself well in the role, Matthew Fox steals the show as a scary killer who tools around in a Cadillac. Reportedly, the former "Lost" TV star dropped about 40 pounds to make himself look not only emaciated but also vicious. In one amusing scene, as 'Picasso,' the villain kills three guys who try to bully him. Cohen stages a terrific fight between Cross and the villain in the rafters of the decrepit Michigan Theater. Compared with the two earlier Freeman movies, "Kiss the Girls" and "Along Came a Spider," "Alex Cross" emerges as a superior saga and a new franchise for Perry to show his serious side as an actor.

Underrated, competent movie

Author: januaryman-1 from Stephens County, OK
2 November 2013

Alex Cross was poorly received at the box office and by critics, but I don't share in the sentiment. The film didn't boil with drama as most Hollywood blockbusters do. Instead, it simmered along with determination that didn't leave the viewer shell-shocked. I can't really compare Tyler Perry's portrayal of Alex Cross to his other work because I haven't watched his other work—not my cup of tea. Perry's portrayal of Cross was very effective and believable. His anger was palpable but he controlled and focused it without running around like a lunatic. It was very elegant compared to other cop movie heroes.

And why was Cross angry? Matthew Fox. Fox's depiction of sadistic killer Picasso was flawless. Picasso could have easily become a caricature, but Fox played him just right.

Edward Burns played Cross's partner Thomas Kane and Rachel Nichols plays copy Monica Ashe. These two and Perry gave the impression of people who worked together for years with their easy interactions. We didn't see a lot of Ashe and Burns seemed understated, but both were supporting roles. Perry and Fox were the stars of this show. The lovely Carmen Ejogo plays Cross's wife Maria.

Alex Cross is out on DVD and won't cost you the chunk of change that a theater viewing would. Spend a few bucks and rent the movie. I think you'll be happy with it.

Great Movie - No matter what anybody else says.

Author: belindar-2 from United States
4 December 2013

I enjoyed this movie as a thrill seeking exciting journey and found it realistic. This movie moves at a pace that is not too fast or too slow. It is just right. There are enough special effects in the movie to make it interesting. Tyler Perry in this role was different, but he handled it very well. Matthew Fox played a great villain and made you hate him and want him done in. If you have not seen this movie, go to see it with an open mind and I guarantee you will really enjoy it. I also want to comment on the director because the journey he takes the audience on is enjoyable and exciting. The audience will love the ending. This is truly the best of the Alex Cross movies.

I love this face of Alex ... oh!! and the movie was good too.

Author: fernbascoe1
22 May 2013

So I finally come up for air and was able to watched this movie. Tyler Perry nailed down Alex Cross' character for me. The problem was that I spent so much time trying to figure out which book I was into that I almost lost out on a good movie. I mean, I have read miles of 'Alex Cross' since the one with the Butcher of Sligo but, boy was I confused? Then I had to wrap my head around the fact that his friend was not African American (no problem with that) but I got a headache waiting to see Sampson. When I gave up my expectations and started watching, I enjoyed putting a face to Alex. I'm sure I'll enjoy all future 'Crosses' (pun may be intended) from now on.

Don't go off all the bad reviews judge for yourself

Author: DaTruth510 from United States
29 January 2013

Why do people keep saying where's Morgan freeman or Perry is no Freeman! I'm sorry did u see his name on the cast list or him in the trailer?

U can't go in expecting him to compare to Freeman, but I was impressed.

I'm not a Tyler Perry fan at all and I think his movies or lame but by the end of the movie he made me believe he was a beast, something I thought I would never say about perry.

Yes a lot of things could have been better but still worth watching. The Hero and the villain make it worth your while. I don't know why so many terrible reviews

not bad could have been better

Author: nitrams2000 from daytona
10 December 2012

The movie is worth watching but there are no surprises and no tricks, you know exactly what is going to happen every second of the way. There is some good news though, Tyler is a great actor and even though this isn't a comedy I thought it was fun, lots of action, things blowing up and people dieing. The bad guy in the film was a pretty good actor. Sure there are a lot of better films to watch but if you want to see some good action and you don't have nothing greet to do tonight then this movie is for you. Don't listen to the nay-Sayers on here. The movie works and gets the job done. A+ effects, with a great cast and a mediocre plot that is very predictable, don't see at the theater, wait for DVD

Not bad at all

Author: RussCordes from United Kingdom
11 January 2013

All I will say is this is a decent movie and well worth a watch. All those people giving it bad reviews are way out of order,I was expecting a crap movie Tyler Perry etc,but I was nicely surprised that this was entertaining and well acted.

I do hate Madea type rubbish but credit where it is due,this was well worth a watch even if it is only to make my own mind up. When it comes to movies if you know the books that they derive from then it is always a losing battle creating a film that will always upset the book fans,but I don't know the books and I can only comment on whether it was worth the time to watch and for me I would definitely watch any sequels. A steady 7 for me.

Very good movie and very unfair ratings by others!

Author: disa-meyer from United Kingdom
16 December 2012

Okay so its not going to win any Oscars, but I really believe people have given this a bad rap for no reason. I have seen plenty of crap movies in my time and movies that have got higher ratings when they deserved far less. Yes, Tyler Perry is not Morgan Freeman, but he plays the role well. It is an action movie, and yes the books are thrillers. But all the same this is a good movie. A clever twist, and Matthew Fox plays the bad guy really well. Not once did I find this boring or very bad. There have been a number of crap scary movies out there that have got higher ratings and yet they are seriously crap!! This is an enjoyable movie and I don't think the acting was rubbish as so many people have stated. I think its just fine. Judge for yourself and don't read the reviews until you have seen the movie. Make your own mind up and stop being so critical. Its enjoyable.

Alex Cross is a 2012 American crime thriller film starring Tyler Perry as the titular character and Matthew Fox as the antagonist.WIKIPEDIA)

Author: adreanrussell from Toronto, On
29 October 2012

Regardless of all the mean reviews and the low rating for this movie, I believe that Tyler Perry did an excellent job. This actor showed the soft side of Alex Cross, which is often depicted by James Patterson and he perfectly plays the role, but it is not the acting which would make me watch this movie another time but rather the plot. The plot of this movie is eccentric. If you are a regular Alex Cross fan you will enjoy this movie a bit more ordinary than the person who has no background. This movie however, is worth every penny. A lot of reviews have been written opposing all sorts of stuffs in this movie, but they have done a great job making this movie. The ending of this movie is probably the most disappointing, even though we know that in the book series Alex Cross is athletic and not much like Tyler. I found the fight scene at the ending pretty weak, as though they were girls, we were brought to a pinnacle and then let down by the director. A midst the shaky fight at the ending scene this movie is watchable and still enjoyable...

surprisingly excellent movie overall!

Author: tunegospel from United States
26 October 2012

Surprisingly because we have never really seen Perry do this type of movie before. Normally, he stars as Medea as a comedy. I don't know exactly why there are so many negative reviews for this movie. I went to see the movie two days ago at the theater and actually enjoyed the movie and would pay to see it again! Alex Cross (2012) is like watching a movie with elements from both "Shaft" and "Dredd." One of my most favorite this year. If you don't mind Tyler Perry taking over the role of Alex Cross, go see the movie for yourself. I know people are used to Morgan Freeman starring as Alex Cross and I also liked Morgan Freeman as Alex Cross. Tyler Perry did just as good as Morgan Freeman starring as Detective Cross. Perry played more of a younger version of Alex Cross and the movie was much more intense. This movie was also full of action and suspense! I don't know whether this movie is a prequel to "Kiss the Girls" or "Along Came A Spider." It could just very well be a reboot, with no connections at all to the first two movies. I never knew Matthew Fox could play a villain so well! All the actors did a wonderful job in this movie and Tyler Perry surprisingly did a fitting job (Tyler Perry was perfect for the role as an Alex Cross)! It truly was Tyler Perry like you've never seen him before! I'm very much looking forward to seeing Tyler Perry do more Alex Cross movies! As a matter of fact this has to be the very best movie Tyler Perry has ever starred in. Better than his Madea movies