IMDb > Alex Cross (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Alex Cross

Alex Cross More at IMDbPro »

Alex Cross (2012) - Madea is the New Morgan Freeman? Seriously?

Author: nickmesafilms (nickmesafilms@yahoo.com) from United States
21 December 2012

From director Rob Cohen, a guy whom has been known for making a string of mediocre action movies, "Alex Cross" is the third film appearance of, you guessed it, Alex Cross, who is known as the main character in James Patterson's series of crime novels. At a pace of 101-minutes, Tyler Perry stars as the title character, a psychological police detective who can tell what happened in a crime, when did it happen, why did it happen, or how did it happen. Now, he must try to take down a psychopathic assassin, played by Matthew Fox, sadly following the tired and formulaic cop story. Not only unoriginal and predictable, but also painful and uncomfortable to sit through, "Alex Cross" is one of the very worst movies of the whole year. Although Tyler Perry is really trying his best to make something good out of this tired material, he sadly fails to bring a lot of charm to a character that was once portrayed by Morgan Freeman, and he sadly felt miscast-ed. Nothing god-awful or anything, I just can't take Tyler Perry seriously in a dramatic role, since all he does in his career is be in drag the whole time as Madea. But, hey, at least he tried! But, don't even get me started on Matthew Fox. Although he's a very talented actor and also tries hard in this film, he tries way too hard, going way over-the-top, in one of the most unintentionally laughable performances of the whole year. Edward Burns, Rachel Wilson, Cicely Tyson, Jean Reno, and Giancarlo Esposito, all star in the supporting cast, given literally nothing to say or do than just read lines from such a horrendous script. Luckily most of these actors have higher talent than these writers, and they are really trying their best. Sappy and melodramatic moments, childish writing, over-the-top performances, and unoriginal story might have been enough, but the main problem of the whole movie involves all the action scenes, provided by director Rob Cohen and the cinematographer. Horribly directed and filmed, the action scenes left me uninterested, but most of all, it gave my brain a major meltdown. Delivered with some of the worst use of shaky-cam, it feels more like the camera-man is literally shaking the camera back and forth, which I bet actually happened. The scenes are all over the place, totally inconsistent, and Rob Cohen should stop making action movies! Generic, bland, inconsistent, sappy, over-the-top, and annoying are the perfect verbs, nouns, or adjectives to describe my hate for this film. But, if I had to correct anything to make this a good movie, I would have casted Idris Elba as Alex Cross, have very talented writers known for making very good cop movies, and a director who takes these films very seriously. Sadly, this movie doesn't give us any of that. "Alex Cross", in my review, "waste of potential, formulaic and indulgent".

Cross? You will be...

Author: Tony Bush from United Kingdom
14 December 2012

Last time I saw the titular character on screen he was played as a more cerebral type of detective by Morgan Freeman. Freeman is an actor who has an effortless natural cool and gravitas, a crumpled sort of chic dignity, careworn and human. He can manage sharp and business-like, thoughtful and compassionate, passive and aggressive, by turns and make them all convincing components of the same character. This is because first and foremost he is a character actor.

Tyler Perry plays Alex Cross in this film and his incarnation is more of an action hero type. A physically chunky gun-toting ass-kicker who fancies himself as a profiling modern day Sherlock Holmes hunting down the bad guys. I don't know what the character of the books is like, having never read them, but I do know that Perry ain't no Morgan Freeman and that this Alex Cross is a one-dimensional shop window dummy with all the personality of a paper plate.

He's not alone here, though, because all of the characters run on rails like bland cardboard cut-outs wheeling through a CGI shooting gallery. None are particularly engaging or resonate on any meaningful emotional level and I didn't really care about the fate of any of them.

The film is a brash and crass churn through a dumb and irrational narrative that fails to sustain much interest after the first twenty minutes or so. There are some moments of jaw-dropping unintentional comedy. My favourite is when Cross employs his Sherlock Holmesian deductive techniques on his wife. It was almost like something out of THE NAKED GUN. To paraphrase:

"I deduce you have been for coffee."

Wife looks astonished at the sheer brilliance of his investigative prowess.

"Judging by the froth on your blouse, I can conclude it was a latte!"

Cut to wife and huge stain on her blouse that looks like half a pint of Camel slobber.

Wife is sooooo impressed that her husband is sooooo smart. Gazes at him with awestruck adoration

She's pregnant. She gets killed soon. That get's Alex cross and so it's time for a little revenge-seeking.

The story is something about a sociopathic assassin (are there any other kind?) bumping off foreign corporate types. He turns his attention to Cross and his team when they thwart one of his attempted hits. Much else I can't relate because I had tuned-out and was just waiting for it to run its course. I'd paid to see it so I was going to hang on in there till the bitter end.

If you are expecting something of the calibre of KISS THE GIRLS or ALONG CAME A SPIDER then don't. This isn't in the same league. Cross this one off your list.

Tyler Perry is NO actor and this was a pitiful farce

Author: flakfan from face of the earth
15 November 2012

Tyler Perry might be funny if he hasn't worn out his shuck-n-jive shtick with "Madea" out completely with everyone but blacks, maybe even them. This movie was just awful. Even my foreign born wife who knows good movies thought it was horrible and funny. I am ashamed of Jean Reno even consenting to be cast in it, he is one of the great living actors in the world. The whole movie had great potential but became an intolerable disaster. And BTW, just how many wigs does Cicely Tyson have? At least three or four bad ones in this movie at least.

I would be embarrassed to have my name in the credits even if my face wasn't seen. I mean really...............Tyler Perry as a brilliant crime solving detective with intuition to boot and who is NEVER wrong? Give me a break "shugah chile".

A made for TV movie

Author: didi g from United States
17 February 2013

I just finished watching the Alex Cross movie, which I was looking forward to but missed seeing in the theater. I am glad I ended up renting the movie for $1.50 from the library. The movie was predictable, badly written, and direction was choppy. Everything and everyone was a cliché -- bad guys are foreign (German, French), Asians are sluts, and White Anglos are not very bright. Although Tyler Perry fits the physical description of the Cross character, the writing and direction was a detriment to his acting. This story bears little resemblance to Patterson's Alex Cross books and am surprised that he allowed this mess to make it to the big screen. I made the mistake of listening to the Director's commentary which was even more boring than the movie. I will not watch another Rob Cohen directed movie again. Don't bother to watch this.

Horrible waste of time

Author: amit-misra86 from Canada
10 February 2013

The trailers for this movie looked okay. Watched it thinking it would be a regular action flick nothing special maybe with some half decent acting in it. After watching this movie I was again reminded of just how awful Tyler Perry is at acting and making movies. This movie had a horrible script and story line. No character development and the most predictable plot ever. The acting in this movie was atrocious, I was actually somewhat excited to see Matthew Fox in something after lost and playing a completely different type of role. His character had no depth at all. Some pretty poor character development I must say. I would not recommend wasting any money let alone time on this movie. By that I mean that this movie is not even worth an illegal download. Better off watching something else, I am not sure how this wasn't a straight to DVD movie I would have been angry if I actually paid to watch this in the theatre.

Elementary it isn't!

Author: alex (doorsscorpywag) from United Kingdom
15 December 2012

I have read some of Patterson's novels and don't think he is particularly good. I watched the two film spin offs which were OK mainly due to the superb Morgan Freeman rather than any great plot or script.

I have seen a few movies with him in but don't know the lead actor and from his performance doubt he will trouble me in the future. Bad does not even come close to his performance. Not that he was alone as some very good actors joined him in the stinking the place out stakes.

This seemed to be a modern take on a black version of Sherlock Holmes as the Cross guy would for no particular reason make wild deductions of his daughter, friends and of course the psycho killer called Picasso. Ed Burns (who is a very good actor) seemed to spend all his time looking lovingly at the genius of Shelock Cross as he burbled out his 'keen' insights into the mind of the killer which frankly would embarrass the dog in the Famous Five which had more idea. If this was the best the department had then it must have been staffed by some of the stupidest cops in America.

The script was not even pedestrian and there was no character or plot development and the one dimensional killer, victims and detectives who peopled this so called thriller were ordinary in the extreme. Only the very dull Alex Holmes stood out from this dismal pack because he could throw out some nonsense that had them in awe of him.

But of course there was no deduction involved. Simply he would say something that turned out to be right. Such as the ridiculous scene with the train when looking around the square with cops and victims everywhere he deduced with seconds to spare that the threat was coming from a train that had not yet hoven into view.

The killer who was supposed to be some super expert mercenary hit-man did some pretty stupid things such as driving around in the same car oblivious to whether some camera would photograph his number plate. Why he bothered to target Cross made no real sense as the detective surely was nothing more than a minor irritant to such a professional. But of course we needed Cross angry for the final section of the film.

The angry Cross even more ridiculous then a calm one as he and Norton carried out an armed robbery, beat the hell out of a drug dealer and somehow illegally stitched up a perp from thousands of miles away.

The finale and then the shock ending where Sherlock solved the case and the perp was brought to 'justice' was laughable. How a cop who looked like he could skip a few meals could overpower a man who looked like (and had shown in the opening sequence) that he could eat Seal Team 6 for breakfast left me bewildered.

Hopefully this will be the final nail in a series of films that was OK at best only due to the presence of Morgan Freeman.

poorly done formula movie

Author: xcell444 from canada
15 December 2012

could be spoilers but I don't think so I'm not being too specific

well this movie was not as good as it should be with today's talent. The plot had pieces missing then all of a sudden your someplace else. But what killed me is every action seen they use a hand-held camera and started to shake it. I was getting sick. Cheapest special effects why did the director call for this. Anyway overall a poor formula movie totally predictable and disappointing. If you don't mind brainless action and acting then it's great. But if you're looking for something well made this is not for you.

What gets me even more is how the writers and director expected us to believe the impossible collision and capture of the villain completely by accident. There's no real plot here of trying to capture or hunt down your psychotic killer it's just he will be handed to you on a platter completely by accident. I almost started laughing but painfully this expert bad guy seem to lose all his talent even his acting talent right at that crucial moment. They should have made this a little bit more suspenseful instead it's like they just through the script away. Just a waste of writing and acting.today's movies with all the wealth of information and skill on how a movie should be made I still wonder how these ones get produced with such obvious lack of insight and skill

Morgan Freeman...we love you!

Author: sean simpson from United Kingdom
11 December 2012

It's not very often I lose interest in a movie that I've looked forward to viewing for a while, being a fan of the "Freeman originals", but I have to say Alex Cross fails miserably in most of the basic departments that make a film good to watch. Tyler Perry has NO screen presence at all...no passion, boring, painful to watch (embarrassing at times)has no depth in his character and is totally unbelievable in the lead role. I have to admit I haven't watched him in much but on this evidence alone i certainly haven't missed out and won't be rushing out to watch him in anything soon! The plot is dire...rushed but very slow in getting there (if that makes sense???) and very thin to be polite and the apparent twist at the end is dreadful and makes a mockery of everything that went before it!. The acting is terrible, with the exception of Matthew Fox (the butcher of sligo title he bestows upon himself is never explained!) who was totally underused and under developed and in the end brushed aside when he should have been the focus of the film until the end! It was boring enough the first 45 mins or so but when Fox killed Cross' pregnant wife and tortured one of his female colleagues I thought here we go...now the movie might finally get going as we have a decent psycho villain on our hands...but unfortunately no...it got worse! I really hope if they revamp the character again they find a new leading man as it looks as if it's set itself up for a few more sequels...of which I definitely won't be seeing if Perry is in the lead role. Disappointed is an understatement!!!!!!!!!!!!

What.. was that?

Author: killer1h from United States
22 October 2012

I'm a big fan of the Alex Cross series, now after watching the first 2 movies where he was depicted correctly and played great, I just have to say. What in the hell happen here? This was a movie but it definitely has nothing to do with Alex Cross.

Let's Start at the beginning. Instead of being a profiler and knowing that giving the subject exactly what he wants is always a mistake he goes right along with playing his game and as a result loses on every front possible. Now lets look at the actual comparative of the way the movie fairs against how the other movies did. Instead of following a string of clues designed to lead to an ultimate destination this was just a run around shooter the entire time. This version of "Alex Cross" acted like a complete amateur and did nothing in the way of psychological detecting all he did was guess here and there until finally something panned out. The only time he got into the mind of the killer was right before the killer blew up his mark thus making it a complete and utter waste of time.

This movie was a great action flick and would have brought in quite a bit if some idiot didn't decide to stick the name Alex Cross on the cover and call it one of the series. The only redeemable quality I saw in the entire movie was the killer himself(Matthew fox). He did an amazing job and if you look at it from a hired assassins point of view an absolutely brilliant performance. It was very sad when he died at the end I thought it would have been a much better ending if he had killed Alex Cross which after watching this movie I'm sure the backers of this sad abomination would agree would be the highlight of all of our days.

3/10 great action movie, not even close to an Alex Cross novel.

Book vs. Movie

Author: mdavis803 from Columbia, SC
20 October 2012

Not only was this movie not like the book, it wasn't even the same story. Where's John Sampson? The Butcher of Sligo is supposed to be handsome...that's how he picks up women, but that didn't happen in the movie. It took place in Detroit not Washington, D.C. Also, where's Ali, Alex's youngest son?

I'm further PO'd that James Patterson would release the book Alex Cross (which is a re-publication of Cross) with the movie promo picture, but the story bears no resemblance to the movie.

If you've never read any of the Alex Cross books, then it's probably an OK movie. It had some good special effects.

Stay Away !

Author: steli-babu from Switzerland
15 December 2012

To begin I have watched tons of movies in the past years out of which many were really bad. However, this is the first time I am reviewing a movie and if you watched it you surely understand why. I got this movie from a friend and I went out to read the reviews before watching it, as I usually do. Although I had the feeling it's going to be a bad picture and I postponed watching it as long as possible, I gave it a try on a boring Thursday evening. My opinion: DREADFUL. The screenplay is the worst I've ever seen. There is absolutely nothing exciting, entertaining or even interesting. To me, it looks as if it was written by a toddler. Friendly advice : do not watch it under any circumstances!

After seeing this, I went to borrow Kiss the Girls, basically the older version of Alex Cross. There is no possible comparison between these two movies, and I honestly think that Morgan Freeman deserved better. Tyler Perry should stick to Madea as it suits him much better.

1 out of 10 !

3.5/10, go on a cheap day

Author: scifiactionfan from Canada
20 October 2012

Really boring.

The was lots of action but very little excitement.

The ending was a nice twist but it isn't enough to make it a decent movie.

It was totally unbelievable that Alex Cross could beat Picasso in hand to hand especially after Picasso showed what he could do.

It would have been nice if they told more about Picasso's background. It's hard to believe they never profiled him in depth.

It was a bad movie and it won't surprise me when it doesn't stay in theaters very long.

I give it a 3.5/10 and my friend also gives it a low rating.

None of the 'so called' talent attached does anything to make it bearable!

Author: Hellmant from United States
24 October 2012

'ALEX CROSS': Two and a Half Stars (Out of Five)

Tyler Perry takes over the titular role from Morgan Freeman (who previously played the detective in 1997's 'KISS THE GIRLS' and 2001's 'ALONG CAME A SPIDER'). The film also co-stars Matthew Fox (looking very slim) and Edward Burns and was directed by Rob Cohen (the popular B action film director of hits like 'THE FAST AND THE FURIOUS', 'XXX' and 'THE MUMMY: TOMB OF THE DRAGON EMPEROR'). It was written by Marc Moss (who also wrote 'ALONG CAME A SPIDER') and first time feature film writer Kerry Williamson and based on the book 'Cross' by James Patterson (writer of the entire 'Alex Cross' book series). Patterson also served as a producer on the film. As far as reboots go this one took the series in a seriously wrong direction (and there's already a sequel planned with Perry reprising his role called 'DOUBLE CROSS', adapted from the thirteenth novel featuring the character). The films with Morgan Freeman were much more respectable crime thrillers. This isn't even 'so bad it's good'!

This film centers on Alex Cross (Perry) discovering his wife (Carmen Ejogo) is pregnant with their third child as he's also offered a job working for the FBI. He breaks the news to his partner Tommy Kane (Burns) who also breaks the news to Cross that he's began relations with another officer on their team, Monica Ashe (Rachel Nichols), much to the disapproval of Cross. The two respond to a murder scene where a madman (Fox) tortured and murdered a young woman (Stephanie Jacobson) and her bodyguards. Clues lead them (and Officer Ashe) to the offices of a businessman known as Erich Nunemacher (Werner Daehn), who they realize is the insane assassin's next target. They engage in a conflict with the killer before he escapes. This causes the three detectives to be marked for death by the killer and all hell breaks loose when the Cross family is put in harm's way.

The movie, like most of Cohen's work, is heavy on action and extremely light on plot and character development. The characters aren't really fleshed out at all, despite whatever moves the plot along in typical 'cops chasing killer' crime thriller fashion. The dialogue is dull and the acting is even worse. Fox is somewhat creepy as the psychopath bad guy but given his atrocious real life image as a women beating asshole it's not hard to dislike him at all. Burns is wasted and Nichols looks beautiful but offers the film nothing else. Perry is severely miscast. I've only seen one of his awful 'Madea' movies but it was enough (along with the trailers for the others) to know I'd never want to go through the pain of watching one again. He might actually be better in action films like this but he's still no actor and he's definitely no Morgan Freeman! I had heard Idris Elba was originally cast in the film instead of Perry. He would have made the movie much more intriguing and fun. As it is it's pretty bad and none of the 'so called' talent attached does anything to make it anymore bearable.

Watch our movie review show 'MOVIE TALK' at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGpMUj20Xx4

Alex Cross....Poor Movie and Insult to James Patterson

Author: slippyfostel from United States
10 March 2016

I have enjoyed all of the Alex Cross books I have read by James Patterson. The first Alex Cross movies carried big name actors and a thinking criminal psychologist and profiler who uses his mind and knowledge of criminals to solve cases. Yes, he is active, but not nearly as active as Tyler Perry was in this movie.In fact, Tyler did not do Cross justice. That was not a pun! He didn't get inside the mind of the criminal at all and was so much more active than his predecessor in Morgan Freeman. I understand the choice not to use Morgan. However, Cross is supposed to look somewhat like a lean Muhammad Ali. Tyler was far from that and not even close. This was a sad attempt to make a movie without a real story line and poor casting. Like others said, where were the characters such as John Sampson? Tyler might have made a good John Sampson, but he was not Alex Cross.A better choice would have been Will Smith as Cross. This movie ruined the franchise in my book. It was horrible!

Poor director strikes again

Author: Leofwine_draca from United Kingdom
15 June 2015

The third outing for James Patterson's fictional detective Alex Cross, following on from two adaptations of his work in the 1990s: KISS THE GIRLS and ALONG CAME A SPIDER. This one's a mess of a film, which is largely down to a poor choice of director and two poor choices for the main actors.

The narrative involves Alex Cross and his chums who are on the trail of a psychotic assassin who enjoys inflicting pain upon his victims. As the story progresses it becomes clear that this bad guy will stop at nothing to complete his job, which leads to a handful of mildly memorable moments including a great twist thrown in that you won't expect or indeed see coming.

A shame, then, that the execution is so muddled, with Rob Cohen once again proving a poor choice as director. You just can't take the story seriously, somehow. Tyler Perry replaces Morgan Freeman as the crusading detective, replete with Holmesian-style deductive reasoning, and I can't think of a poorer replacement. Freeman is one of those guys who constantly gives solid performances no matter the film whereas Perry's character might as well be a walking corpse. There's no emotion from him, just cold stiffness.

Equally stiff is a lamentable Matthew Fox as the supposed villain. Although Fox certainly looks imposing, when it comes to his acting it's rather dire. I've never liked this guy, and his attempts at wide-eyed menace fall flat every time. Lower down the cast list we get a bloated Jean Reno and the walking plank of wood that is Ed Burns. Even the requisite fight scenes and action bits can't lift this lifeless thriller out of the doldrums.

More super bland than super cop

Author: Adam Peters from Birkenhead United Kingdom
30 March 2015

(31%) A hugely by the numbers action thriller that I can only imagine the sheer number of people who walked out of a cinema after the final scene (or more likely after the first twenty or so minutes) and never giving it a so much as a seconds worth of thought ever again. Big name star (in America at least) Tyler Perry is decent here as he's clearly trying his best with the lame material he has been given, while bad guy Matthew Fox is much better that the one-note character he's been lumbered with. The biggest problem by a mile though is the fact that this isn't interesting enough to make it as a proper thriller, while the action is on the whole is too badly shot utilising the annoying shaky-cam technique to full fullest which just ruins all possible enjoyment. This isn't a terrible watch, but there's so little reason to actually do so.

Frequently so bad it's good again

Author: Adam Foidart from Winnipeg
28 February 2015

So Bad it's good rating: 3,5/5 "Alex Cross" is a by-the-book detective thriller that's kind of enjoyable to watch, but isn't particularly good. Dr. Alex Cross (Tyler Perry) is a psychologist and police lieutenant who's one top of the world. His long time best friend Tommy Kane (Edward Burns) is his partner on the police squad, he's got a beautiful, loving wife, two daughters, another baby on the way and his sassy mother (or is it grandmother?) lives with him in a huge house. He's so good at his job he can tell you what your favorite colour is based on the type of ice cream you ordered. That's when our villain for the movie comes in. Matthew Fox plays a devious serial murderer nicknamed "The Picasso Killer". He uses a drug that paralyzes people's bodies (but not their eyes or their mouths) yet enables them to feel pain. He tortures them to get information, then kills them for fun and, feeling inspired, creates a charcoal drawing afterward for the police to keep. Apparently, this guy's been hired, or has some kind of super elaborate agenda because he is going after high-ranking employees of CEO Giles Mercier's company (Mercier is played by Jean Reno). When Cross gets in the way, Picasso decides to take the fight to a whole new, personal level...

I'm not going to say that this movie's great. I wouldn't even say it's good, but it is entertaining. The entertainment value is mostly due to the game of cat-and-mouse between Alex Cross and Picasso. I give credit to the movie for actually making two characters that feel like they are evenly matched. Alex Cross might be a super detective, but Picasso, he's a super assassin with Batman-level gadgets and insane skills. You will not believe to what lengths this guy goes to get his prey and you will wonder how many people will bite the dust before Cross manages to take him down. I also enjoyed Matthew Fox's totally outlandish performance as the killer. It's a nice balance to Tyler Perry's totally wooden and bland performance. Kind of like a steak that's totally burnt on the outside and raw on the inside, but tasty around the edges where the two extremes meet. The film is that right mix of flat-out ridiculous, predictable and bad elements combined with enough actually intriguing developments to make the whole thing watchable. Well, as long as it's with a bunch of friends who will make it that much more fun by laughing at it.

When it comes to the bad elements, there's no shortage in "Alex Cross". Here are some more memorable examples. Characters that appear to be crucial to the plot are suddenly dropped from the story entirely. What, I ask you, happened to Rachel Nichols' character? I don't mean the obvious. I mean: can someone tell me why there's a big moment with her, and then we never see her again? Characters are either ridiculously skilled, or so dumb they would struggle to survive on a daily basis. When it becomes obvious that the Picasso killer is inside a building, looking to kill his next target Tommy hears an explosion and runs out of the room, leaving the intended target alone for the killer to pick off. What a dummy! This is also a movie where characters just know things because as long as they're off-screen they don't actually exist within the movie. While on the side, they're sitting in a comfortably while reading the script and taking notes. Take the Picasso killer. He's just encountered the police for the first time, unexpectedly. Somehow though, he just happens to have a newspaper clipping showing Alex Cross, his partner and the other officer that confronted him tacked on his wall. How did he figure out who was going to come after him? Afterwards, how does he figure out where these people live? The only explanation can be that he read the script and it told him where to go.

Another great example: Cross is talking to a high-ranking criminal in a car so that they can be "alone". He's bribing the criminal in order to get some much needed information to catch Picasso. The bribe in question is a piece of evidence that would otherwise incriminate the guy if the case was ever revived. The bad guy comments that on top of the pistol that Alex is offering him, there was another one in the evidence locker. At that very moment, Tommy shines the laser scope on the mobster's forehead, shutting him up and making him agree to cooperate. Understand that Tommy is at least 10 meters away and there was no way he could have heard the conversation. How did he know the exact moment to shine the light on the guy's forehead? For that matter, why didn't the body guards catch the guy pulling out the gun and pointing it towards their boss? "Alex Cross" is a film that's badly put together and not particularly inventive either. The editing is simply awful when it comes to the action sequences, the characters' actions often don't make any sense and the story is utter madness more than once. Let's not forget the performances from the leads, which are so outlandish I recommend you watch the film just to see them. Tyler Perry is 100% uncharismatic and about as emotive as the Easter Island statues. Matthew Fox, he's playing an all-out lunatic, so over-the-top he's straight from a cartoon. The film is never really painful to watch, but the director really let these actors down. It boils down to a complete mess that's so bad, it becomes good again. (On DVD, August 1, 2014)

Movie is Only Like Book In Name

Author: italianredneckgirl from paradise
13 January 2015

***Contains Spoilers****** I have been a fan of the Alex Cross series since the very beginning. I was shocked when we found out the ending in Big Bad Wolf and waited and waited for these movies to start rolling in. First, Tyler Perry, come on! Where was James Patterson when castings were auditioned for? Alex Cross was clearly more of a,the late, Michael Clark Duncan, Denzel role. But anyone, anyone other than Tyler Perry. Frankly, the entire movie was cast inappropriately. And the spots where it's clear, the screen writing was trying to cram Cross' entire back-story into 1 movie, was sloppy at best. Not true to the integrity of Patterson's fast-paced, page turning fervor we are accustomed to. The only hope is that they aren't making any more.

Bang Ka-pow-thud

Author: rps-2 from Bracebridge Ont
29 November 2014

I continued watching this movie with increasing disgust just to see how bad it would get. It did not disappoint me. This is yet another graphic (and bloody and violent and pornographic) example of the decay of American society. If they had made movies in the last days of the Roman Empire, they would have been like this. The film starts with a violent gun battle, moves to no holds barred bare knuckle boxing and soon is showing sexual scenes that leave nothing to the imagination. On top of all this, it is set (although only partially shot)in Detroit, that urban symbol of everything that is wrong with American society. Hollywood pours out violent, negative films like this, full of gun violence then people recoil in horror when an 11 year old boy brandishing a BB gun and believing that life really is as portrayed in the movies is shot and killed by police.

It turns out that Morgan Freeman is the REAL serial killer . . .

Author: Edgar Allan Pooh from The Gutters of Baltimore
22 November 2014

. . . back in Detroit, when he was Madea. It's as if director Rob Cohen was bankrolled to make history's most ridiculous cop film ever. His cynical treatment suggests that the FBI recruited ALEX CROSS (portrayed by Mr. Freeman in two earlier films set AFTER this "prequel") because Cross was more of a rogue operator\"loose cannon" than Col. Oliver North. Cross is willing to bludgeon fellow (but HONEST) cops, return murder weapons to the known killers, manufacture illegal weapons, plant "evidence" to frame suspects on capital charges, and summarily execute unarmed citizens. The one thing that Cross is NOT good at is figuring out criminals and solving or preventing crimes, as he enables the crooks to rub out one of his partners, plus his wife, as well as most of the non-Black population of the Motor City. To make matters worse, LOST's heroic Dr. Jack is reduced here to cutting off hot chicks' fingers for the fun of it (when he's not destroying guys twice his size in cage fights). Yet when Matthew Fox ("Dr. Jack") faces Tyler Perry ("Madea") Mano A Mano, Madea makes mincemeat of a guy who up till then has been twice as tough and ten times as smart as anyone else on screen here. It's as if somebody spiked Popeye's spinach with stupid pills. The only thing about ALEX CROSS that rings true is that everyone DOES flee Detroit sooner rather than later!

A horrible mess from start to finish

Author: brchthethird from United States
14 November 2014

Tyler Perry and, to a similar degree, Matthew Fox do the best they can with a mediocre film which suffers from poor writing and direction. The drama and suspense is greatly lacking, and the action is poorly shot in the currently vogue shaky-cam style. The worst instance of this is in the climactic scene, which should have been how the movie ended. This brings me to another fault I have with the movie: the second ending, where Jean Reno's character gets his comeuppance. The scene was completely unnecessary and didn't make too much sense, especially with the way it ties things up a little too conveniently. Honestly, his character didn't even need to be in the movie. Doesn't really deserve a rental or VOD, but it's fairly good for one, mindless viewing.

Cross it Out

Author: kapelusznik18 from United States
3 November 2014

****SPOILERS**** Off the wall police drama involving super-cop and brainy Alex Cross, Tyler Perry, a Detroit policemen as well as part time psychoanalyst. Cross gets himself involved with this high priced just released from a mental institution assassin known as the "Butcher of Slygo", Matthew Fox, who's out to destroy the cities's, that's on the verge of bankruptcy, top political financier German industrialist Giles Mercier, Jean Reno, so it can be taken over, in what were made to believe , a group of Wall Street vulture capitalists. Cross himself was looking to exit Detroit and get a job with the FBI as a criminal profiler that paid 35% more then as a Detroit cop as well provided him and his family with full dental care which was all the motivation he needed. But it was his gabby old lady, wife, Maria, Carmen Ejogo, who wanted no part of it. Which made Cross have second thoughts putting her in front of him getting ahead in the world of law enforcement.

It was a lucky stroke for Cross when the "Butcher" knocked off Maria at a local restaurant, when he distracted Cross on the phone, that the by know mad as hell cop decided to stay in Detroit, like his old lady wanted him too, and take care of business in giving the "Butcher" everything that he had coming to him. This had Cross and his team of crime fighters Thomas Kane, Edward Burns, and Jody Klebanoff, Bonnie Bentley, get on the "Butcher's" tail who in fact was anything but the freelance psycho killer that Cross thought that he was.

****SPOILERS**** It's later on that we realize whom the "Butcher" was working for that involved a sick financial scam thought up by his greedy employer to save what little in money he still had left after the disastrous stock market crash on 2008! As well as keep him from going to jail for both stock fraud and insider trading that in fact, by backfiring on him, almost wipe him out. This ridicules plan also was soon to soon backfired when Cross and his partners Kane & Kelbanoff planted two kilos of cocaine on him at his hideout in far off Indonesia. That sudden turn of events had him busted by the local police and sentenced to death, by firing squad, by the state court!

I'd better have watched a German police movie.

Author: david-robin from France
18 September 2014

- the crime-scene cop, the one who is supposed to convey the horror of what he just found ... is the doctor of "Scrub". - the romance between 2 criminal investigators, in love since they're 12... - "Our killer thinks he is a Picasso". says the police team-mate... - "We are all formers from the German police" say the bodyguards...

At this point in the film, I had HUGE doubts regarding the potential of film. And then I saw skinny Matthew Fox swimming in a decorative water pipe, and I totally lost hope.

I will try to stick to plans, and produce a serious review :

- the plot is stupid. Main character Alex Cross (Tyler Perry) investigates the crimes of a contract killer, who gives out transparent clues on his next target by drawing Picasso-inspired fusains (just because he is crazy). The uninspired writers had several reminiscence of David Fincher's seVen (pregnant wife, self-punishment, etc).

- the cinematography is worse than most TV series.

- the music score by John Debney (several Marvel soundtracks, "Hanna Montana") is transparent. The crying violins are repeatedly boring. The moments of emotional tension are highlighted by digital percussions.

- the actors? ...ah ah. AH AH AH!

A tough act to follow

Author: bowmanblue from United Kingdom
6 June 2014

In 'Alex Cross' Tyler Perry steps up to try and fill the shoes of Morgan Freeman, who played the titular character in both Kiss the Girls and Along Came a Spider. Unfortunately, although he gives it his best shot, he does seem to fall a little short of the mark. When Freeman played the role, he gave it an air of quiet dignity where he was always ready to outwit his opponent. Perry is a big man, therefore a big gun suits him and he comes across more like he's ready to star in an action movie.

However, the lead role aside, the film chugs along quite nicely. It's based on the book of the same name and is quite tense and thrilling (if a little far-fetched in places). It's a buddy-cop film where the law enforcement are on the hunt of a killer/hit-man known by the alias 'Picasso.' There's nothing new to see here, but if you're a fan of the genre, you can certainly do worse. However, you could probably read a newspaper while watching it and still completely understand everything that goes on.

Worth a watch if there's nothing else.

Poor production values

Author: lbmoniz
10 May 2014

Lacks the class and drama of previous efforts with Morgan Freeman who is a superior actor. I guess being succinct isn't allowed so I'll have to repeat these lines over again. Lacks the class and drama of previous efforts with Morgan Freeman who is a superior actor. Lacks the class and drama of previous efforts with Morgan Freeman who is a superior actor. Lacks the class and drama of previous efforts with Morgan Freeman who is a superior actor. Lacks the class and drama of previous efforts with Morgan Freeman who is a superior actor. Lacks the class and drama of previous efforts with Morgan Freeman who is a superior actor.

Poor Acting And Screenplay

Author: Desertman84 from United States
9 March 2014

Alex Cross is a crime thriller that stars Tyler Perry in the title role.It tells a story about how Cross meets his match in the Picasso,portrayed by Matthew Fox. This is the third film that features the character Alex Cross, the main character in a series of novels by James Patterson.The movie was was adapted from the novel "Cross," written by screenwriters Marc Moss and Kerry Williamson.It was directed Rob Cohen.

In the film,Cross' main target is a psycho named Picasso, a serial killer who tortures and mutilates his victims. Picasso is a bellicose suit-wearing monster who early on takes off his jacket and tie and reveals the psychopath within. When Cross studies the crime scenes he's left and watches as Picasso continue killing innocents around town.But when the mission gets personal,he is pushed to the edge of his moral and psychological limit.

It is too bad that Tyler Moore does not hold a candle to the performance of Morgan Freeman,who performed Alex Cross in the two previous movies namely,Kiss the Girls and Along Came a Spider.Added to that,the story is dull,predictable and boring.It is far from interesting as it is clichéd and has an unbearable dialogue.Added to that,the action scenes does not contribute to make the film even better.Skip this one.

Tyler Perry - Sign of Mediocrity

Author: imdb-45 from New York
6 March 2014

This film is an embarrassment. It makes B movies look like top notch thrillers. Everything is wrong with this film, exaggerated and unnatural, like almost everything I've seen Tyler Perry produce. The script is predictable and laughable. There is no chemistry between the actors and the dialog is stilted, awkward and difficult to hear.

Perry's character, Alex Cross, is a psychic genius. He can tell what went on at a scene just by his very presence. He knows one man did everything because... well... he's just so darn smart. He has the same cool demeanor the entire film and he's just not a credible character.

The worst part is that there are no twists that can't be seen a mile away and the film plays out from beginning to end without surprises. A serial killer wants to take out everyone and now it's up to our resident genius to prevent that from happening. Even the mediocre "Along Came a Spider" which featured Morgan Freeman was miles ahead of this farce. This is the kind of film that goes straight to video and gets played late night on free TV channels, if you want to waste your time on this (but certainly not your money.)

Laughable

Author: stevenjsed from St Anthony, MN
22 February 2014

I wanted to give this movie a 0 out of 10 but the fact is that I laughed through most of it. If this movie was written as a comedy I would have given it an 8.

The script, the direction and the acting started out bad and got worse as the movie went on. If I had paid to see this movie I would have asked for my money back

I feel bad that I have to write 10 lines of text to have a review of a very bad movie published on IMDb, I am sure the producers and directors wanted to have a better finished product than this movie and I hope James Patterson got a lot of money for his part but they will need to change the main actors if there is going to be another Alex Cross movie. An 80 year old Morgan Freeman would make a more believable crime fighter than Tyler Perry does now.

The big man steps out of drag

Author: gradyharp from United States
21 February 2014

James Patterson's novels have given us some memorable characters and one of the more memorable is Dr Alex Cross, a homicide detective/psychologist with the Detroit Police Department. The always-popular Madea of Tyler Perry's creation steps out of the drag costume this time around and becomes a very credible Dr. Alex Cross: the transition is comfortable and encouraging for him as an actor.

Dr. Alex Cross (Tyler Perry) with the help of his aide Thomas Kane (Edward Burns) is on his last police duty to track down an assassin called Picasso (Matthew Fox), who's been torturing and killing rich businessmen in Detroit. When Cross' wife is killed by Picasso the mission becomes exceedingly personal, Cross is pushed to the edge of his moral and psychological limits to end this once and for all and from that point on the movie gains speed and is well resolved. There are some fine cameos by Cicely Tyson, Jean Reno, Chad Lindberg, Carmen Ejogo and Giancarlo Esposito.

The screenplay gets a bit self indulgent and sappy at times but the movie as a hole comes off well. Tyler Perry has more chutzpah than we've seen before.

A Drag Of A Detective With No Deduction

Author: LeonLouisRicci from United States
16 February 2014

Why, for All that is Holy, would You make a Movie about a Modern Day Sherlock Holmes with a Doctorate in Psychology who is an Analytical Detective by way of Being Police, and then Disregard all of that with a Brain Dead Script with Little Deduction and even Less Detecting. He is called Detective Doctor Cross Many Times just for Source Material Recognition.

But there is Action Movie Money to be Made so all of that Brainiac Stuff is too Cerebral for the Masses so no one will Notice. But they did. This Movie was a Disaster at the Box Office and Took a Critical Whipping on Most Posts.

So there. It should be a Lesson Learned but don't Hold Your Breath Expecting too many Complex Thrillers to come from Hollywood Anytime Soon. Aside from Lack of Intelligence in a Movie about an Intellectual Crime Fighter, the Action Parts of the Film are nothing worth Analysis Except in a Word or Two. Boring...Uneventful.

The Final Fight between our Hero and Villain is so Shaky Camera and the Image Bobs Up and Down so Frequently and So Fast that it Might just get the Award for the Shakiest Camera Scene Ever and that's No Mean Feat Considering the Competition.

This is a guy who can tell you had scrambled eggs for breakfast at a hundred yards.

Author: Ben Larson from Leesburg, FL
15 February 2014

Finally, a Tyler Perry movie that is actually funny. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

This is the third Alex Cross movie. It ranks fourth after Along Came a Spider and Kiss the Girls, both starring Morgan Freeman. You can't replace Matt Damon as Jason Bourne, and you can't replace Morgan Freeman as Alex Cross.

Weak acting, a sorry script, lousy directing; I could go on, but you get the idea.

It's a good thing we had The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2 and Battleship last year or this movie would have swept the worst movie awards.

Please don't tell me there is a sequel planned.

Silly, Cheesy and Nothing new

Author: Floated2
19 December 2013

As someone who has not read any of the novels, and had not known much about the character or of it's plot, I still found Alex Cross to be subpar. Alex Cross played itself as a brainless and not too interesting thriller with several cheesy moments and silly dialogue. From the beginning, the way Picasso (Matthew Fox) was introduced was hard to believe. His character came down to an MMA sporting event, simply hands one of the mangers money then is put up to fight an opponent in a matter of minutes. Although Picasso was the best part of the film and Matthew Fox played his character great at points but it wasn't enough to save the film.

Tyler Perry did a decent job as the serious lead of Alex Cross, but having not read the novels, I am not aware of how the character was supposed to act. I did enjoy some of the action scenes including Picasso. "Alex Cross" plays itself as the typical film where the villain and lead first make their encounter, then the villain continuously stalks the lead wanting something of his, the lead being scared and having to to avoid it, and up to the end the lead takes his revenge and eventually kills the villain. There was some violence towards women in the film specifically where Picasso kills Alex Cross's wife (whom was months due pregnant), which was a cheap shot for a "professional" villain in which it happened. This is where and why Alex Cross goes after Picasso, as it does make sense but it could have been done different as we have seen many revenge seeking films before.

Like many of these type of films, it suffers from an interesting plot, though it does have some okay scenes but it isn't enough to keep those truly entertained to not notice its flaws. I also didn't find much of the chemistry between Tyler Perry and Edward Burns. "Alex Cross" simply felt cheesy and could have been done with another lead and a far better script, with re writes.

Far from brilliant, but is it enjoyable, yes.

Author: superal1966 from United Kingdom
14 October 2013

I have never read any of the books and watched Alex Cross after reading a few of the reviews on here, so my expectations weren't too high, but I have to say I was pleasantly surprised.

There are without a doubt negatives in Alex Cross. There is little, if any, character development, and the relationship between Alex Cross and his partner feels more like Mel Gibson and Danny Glover than that of two childhood friends. The direction is awful in parts as well; one particular fight near the end of the film springs to mind where one would be forgiven for thinking the cameraman was drunk. It was pretty hard to see what was going on.

That said, it has a decent plot for an action film and makes for a good light and easy watch with a pizza and a few beers. Yes it is predictable, and no the acting isn't going to win any Academy Awards, but was it fun, yes.

I think some films are just meant to be enjoyed while overlooking any faults, and this is certainly one of them. If you can do that then I would recommend watching Alex Cross.

Cross of the list

Author: Prismark10 from United Kingdom
13 October 2013

I have never seen the Madea films so this is the first time I have seen Tyler Perry in action. As Alex Cross he is stepping into the shoes of Morgan Freeman in this reboot. Well Freeman is a hard act to follow although I am unsure as to who Perry's Cross is by the end of the film.

The main star of the film is actually Matthew Fox as the hired killer Picasso. He buffed himself up and lost a lot of weight as the callous and amoral killer.

The biggest problem with the film is the screenplay. It has more holes than Swiss cheese. It means the performers are actually hampered with nonsensical flaws.

At the beginning Fox in a suit pays someone to get involved in a MMA fight. The spectators laugh at him even though when he takes his shirt off he has ripped muscles and tattoos. Even his opponent a seasoned fighter does not twig this guy is a ringer and gets paralysed. His performance is so impressive that an Oriental woman at the fight takes a shine to him, takes him to her home and gets involved in bondage with dire results.

Yet at the end of the film we have a prospect of Perry (a slightly overweight actor best known for appearing in drag) going one on one with Fox even though we have seen at the beginning of the film what he did to the MMA fighter!

In between this Fox who is a gun for hire seemingly gets personal for no reason other than getting shot by the police who are actually just doing their job and takes a detour by going after Perry and his comrades.

Not to forget that one of Fox's hit depends on split second timing depending on a train being on a certain position whilst at the same time his intended victims just arriving somewhere else. How he has planned all this when he is busy going after Perry and co makes the mind boggle.

Also Jean Reno the guy who played the treacherous agent in the first Mission Impossible turns up for a few minutes as the main chief executive of a corporation whose employees are being targeted by the assassin and who is the ultimate target. I wonder who the actual mastermind will be!

This is not to say that its all daftly entertaining. Its just that this is a different Alex Cross as portrayed by Morgan Freeman. We are told Cross is clever and he has his 'Sherlock Holmes' moment at the beginning but very little as to how he arrives with his conclusions.

Its a mash up of an action film and something cerebral. It passes away the time but I doubt this will be a successful rebooted franchise.

Tyler Perry inferior/Matthew Fox superior

Author: SnoopyStyle
29 August 2013

Tyler Perry is taking over Morgan Freeman as the fictional doctor/police detective. Morgan had played him in the previous two installments of the series, Kiss the girls and Along Came a Spider. Sadly Tyler Perry is an inferior lead.

This time Alex Cross is confronting an assassin played by Matthew Fox who is taking on a rich and powerful business. Matthew is looking completely different here. He is gaunt and unlike any of the warm-hearted nice guys he usually plays.

There is a nice tight thriller here. Tyler Perry doesn't help. But he's not so bad as to break it. He is somewhat stiff and a little clunky. He doesn't have the gravitas of Morgan Freeman. But it's also too easy to demean him.

dumb film

Author: antoniotierno from Italy
26 July 2013

The greatest problem in this movie is how it's been conceived, with the whole plot seeming extremely unlikely. Nothing about this thriller is thrilling, everything's clichéd and quite tedious. Furthermore much of the dialogue feels forced as blatant exposition is placed throughout normal conversations. Even when the movie (rarely) surprises the audience the script offers very little. When you think the movie has manipulated you into trying to care about these characters, all of a sudden it reveals an unnecessary. "Alex Cross" tries to be a grand thriller but fails on nearly every level. It's the script and the plot making this Cross unbearable.

Better then I expected

Author: beavanjb from United States
21 July 2013

First, I've never watched a Tyler Perry movie or TV show, so unlike most on here I'm not judging the movie simply by that. Also, I'm not trying to compare him to Morgan Freeman. So, if you can get past that you'll see that Alex Cross is actually a good movie, based on the reviews here people went in with way too many biases to enjoy it no matter how good it was. Again, Mathew Fox puts in a very good performance that was not what you would expect from him. The only performance that feels mailed in is that of Edward Burns. Anyway, I know Perry is known for comedy and this movie is pretty serious and dark throughout. A nice thrill ride if you are open to the actors involved.

Cross it off your watch list!

Author: Chris Ironside from Aberdeen, Scotland
21 June 2013

I was quite looking forward to seeing this film, but it disappointed in every way. Dr Benton was average, Dr Cox was a let down and I found Matthew Fox's over-acting quite a distraction. Jean Reno and Ed Burns gave reasonable performances but they were battling against quite something with the film itself.

The story is reasonable (I haven't read the books), but it was very poorly executed. A shaky-camera technique appeared to be preferred for fight scenes, but I didn't appreciate it.

Most of my disappointment originated with Fox though. I can only presume Fox's character is intended as skillful, intelligent, cold and psychotic... but just comes across as mental! Avoid if you're hoping for a reasonable action film. This is no Bourne!

Crazy

Author: kosmasp
9 June 2013

Matthew Fox (most will recognize him from the TV show Lost) gives a borderline performance here. Although you might argue he goes over the top more than once in this movie. It's tough to watch and not to laugh at his mannerisms. Even though they often do result in brutal scenes. Also a Tyler Perry is not entirely convincing in the lead role. It's not that he's bad, but he isn't really that good. And I haven't seen him in drag (though he does have a reputation in America, which might have led to the fact, that the movie did not work over there).

The cast overall is pretty good. But even people with small roles cannot leave their mark as usual (John C. McGinley to name one, who phones in his performance, but might still be better than the underused Jean Reno). There's also a twist towards the end of the movie, you might not care about. It's just too much in a movie that at least does not hold back punches ...

The Morgan Freeman efforts must have got the tone much better than this

Author: davideo-2 from United Kingdom
5 June 2013

STAR RATING: ***** Saturday Night **** Friday Night *** Friday Morning ** Sunday Night * Monday Morning

Respected Detective Alex Cross (Tyler Perry) finds himself on the trail of a killer named Picasso (Matthew Fox), who's targeting a group of figures in the financial world and leaving a gruesome trail behind after himself. Cross uses his intellect and experienced knowledge of killer's to hunt his prey, but when his own wife is murdered, he throws caution to the wind and wages a one man war against his prey.

I quite like my thrillers, especially the more darker ones, so it's a surprise I never saw Morgan Freeman's original outing as the titular detective from the novels, Kiss the Girls. I think I caught Along Came a Spider once, but the previous film probably would have given me a deeper understanding of Cross before this flashy, more modern effort came along, trying to give the character an edge to a modern day audience with a younger, more vibrant star (who probably hasn't started falling asleep during interviews yet!) and a slick, glossy new style of filming. However, the tone just doesn't fit with the material and isn't and doesn't provide a satisfying pay off in the end.

As if these problems weren't enough, the film just feels like such a mechanical effort, lazily connecting one dot to another and one genre cliché to the last one, before the big red herring of the plot in the shape of Cross's wife's murder comes along, which feels like such a preposterous and unbelievable turn of events, but one which it feels the plot rests on to prevent it becoming too tedious. By the end, Cross has become such an immoral, unlikable character (even condemning a man to death in the name of petty revenge!) it's thrown all his credibility as a hero out the window.

Even with a support cast including Ed Burns and Jean Reno, this misguided, misfiring effort fails to get any more class. **

The thriller production line

Author: cmoyton from United Kingdom
2 June 2013

Alex Cross does just about enough to make you want to see it through to the end but will not make you want to recommend to others. Although difficult it is best to leave comparisons with Freeman behind - it was never going to be that good. The biggest failing really is the derivative script. The killer is a lean mean killing machine cypher, hired by a multi million rich financier who has been burned in the financial crisis. Loose ends need to be eliminated.

Thats as deep as it gets - as shallow as a puddle. Bar some saccharine snapshots from the Cross family portfolio there is zero character development. Some of the actions sequences are good , just not enough of them and the direction is slick, but would you wear that cornflower tie at your own wife's funeral?.

Alex Cross, an action movie aiming to entertain.

Author: tropicasia1992 from Greece
24 May 2013

Hi people, this is my first review of a film, although I've seen dozens of movies. I decided to write a critic about "Alex Cross" because I saw many bad reviews and wondered about what is going wrong. At first I saw the "4.9" rate at the IMDb and I thought: "Hmmm, is this movie that bad?" and wondered if it worths my time. I was almost ready to watch another one because of such a low rate but at last I decided to give it a chance. First of all the aim of Action Movies is to entertain people. People all around the world see dozens of actions films NOT for the actors, NOT for the plot, NOT for the acting, JUST for entertainment. These are not my words, if you disagree with me just check at the box offices of action movies. So, "Alex Cross" is a lot entertaining and keeps some thrilling till the end. It has a lot of action and the adventure which a cop film must contain. Now, which action movie is not predictable? Hmmm, none! We all know what is going to happen next, the point is if the movie keeps the adrenaline high. And Alex Cross does. As for the scenario part, it's indeed very simple, like most of the movies which are being produced every year. I would like also to add that in such movies it's not required to explain why is happening something or how. If you want some reality, or scientific facts, with proofs, go to see a documentary. The balance between drama and action was exactly at the perfect spot. The film succeeds to inform the audience for the personal, psychological and professional situation of the main heroes without being wearing or boring. The problems I spotted are the decision of the director to make the cameras shaking in some action scenes and the "fast-forward" part at the end. I can't explain it better, those who will see it you'll understand. Thanks for reading, Chris van der Mass.

I like this movie a lot!

Author: joe chang (joechang@freenet.de) from Taiwan
18 May 2013

I don't understand why the rating of this movie is so low? It should be a 6.5 rather than 4.9. The horrible Die Hard 5 has got a decent 5.6 and the stupid Transporter got 6.7!

Sometimes I wonder the ratings are rated by Aliens, for example The Hurt Locker got high ratings (7.7) and beat Avatar at the Oscar. Let's be honest who would want to rent The Hurt Locker DVD on a Friday night?

Maybe I got poor tastes at clothes and I admit I love fast foods, but Alex Cross is not a bad movie! It is far better than the 6.4 Killer Elite and more entertaining than the 6.5 Mechanic.

Alex Cross has got good actors (Edward Burns is one of my all time favorite actors) and good story, it's photography needs a bit improvements though. This is a must see if you want to watch a DVD by yourself.

Anyone Can Cross Alex Cross?Any Doubts! Hell No

Author: M MALIK from Pakistan
4 May 2013

this is the line came from my mouth after i saw this mess of a film.Alex cross is bases on a novel now every movie Hollywood ever made either on games or novels or short stories they are only money makers.but despite that i enjoy many films when this came to me few months ago i remembered max Payne but this is a mass insult to the action genre.

the special effects & the climax was ridiculous.the main thing i liked was Picasso & middle story of the film.but i was expecting too much from it.

plot goes as a guy named Picasso is killing people now Alex cross(Tyler perry) a cop gets involved & things gets personal.

now what was the point here when too many films show us that the villain somehow cant shoot the hero then why repeat the same thing man.now as for this character Alex cross is to me he don't have what it takes to be a hero period.

the cast never impressed me except Rachel Nichols as a fan of her i say she got wasted in this nonsense.

my rating is 3/10 for the good effort by the team who made Alex cross & made some nice action scenes but the result is failure.i want people to stay away from this film its not worth your money.

Simply the wrong combination of actors and director

Author: game-editor
27 March 2013

Let's start off with the director. I don't dislike Rob Cohen. Many people believe that "XXX: State of the union" was a flop because of him. However, I think he was walking into a bad one to start with. Knight Rider was iffy at best. Honestly, the last movie that he was involved in that I would give a couple of thumbs up to would be Running Man. Still a classic. Being handed a gauntlet as big as the Alex Cross books is not an easy thing to hold on to. The books were amazing, but we have seen that they can be converted into great movies simply by watching "Along Came a Spider" and "Kiss the Girls". I feel that he most likely over directed the movie. The characters were too boxed in. The lines, facial expressions and body motions looked choppy and uncomfortable. However, was this his fault? Not necessarily. The actors in the movie were simply incorrect for it. First of all, I cannot classify Tyler Perry as a top of the line actor, but he is not horrible. He has been in some good movies and has had me rolling on the floor a couple of times. Not only was he working out of his comfort zone (very noticeably so), but he was following the work of... wait for it... MORGAN EFFING FREEMAN. Not many can follow that. I think the most over directed person was probably Matthew Fox. The character he played made no sense. His actions and personality did not in any way shape or form link up with the books. The facial expressions and movements looked like they would work in a video game, but definitely not in a movie. We have seen him play a character with this type of background, so it could not be all his fault. I cannot describe what is wrong with Nana Mama in this movie. She showed none of the characteristics from the books that made me fall for the character. She acted almost as psychotic as the assassin. Fudged story line, over directing, character mismatches, failed relationship connections, on and on and on.

Not Bad, But Not Good Enough To Make Me Want To See More Of The Character

Author: sddavis63 (revsdd@gmail.com) from Durham Region, Ontario, Canada
22 February 2013

I'm not a big Tyler Perry fan, and in portraying Alex Cross he was stepping into some pretty big shoes, since the character had been twice played by Morgan Freeman (In Along Came A Spider and Kiss The Girls) - who I do like. So my expectation weren't exactly at a premium coming in. As far as Perry was concerned, I'd say he was all right in the role. He was nothing special; he wasn't Morgan Freeman. But he was all right. He had his own unique take on the character. Alex Cross in this movie is rougher, coarser, more violent - but just as cerebral in his own way. That evolution of the character was undoubtedly to allow this to take on more of an action feel, and it was fuelled by the plot device of having Cross's wife killed off by the serial killer he's trying to find. So for at least half of this movie, Cross is less the psychologist/detective and more the grieving husband seeking vengeance against his wife's killer. Honestly, it made the character somewhat less noble, and it made the movie somewhat over the top at times.

One thing that was definitely needed was a little better explanation of the serial killer and his motives - and of the motives of the guy who hired him. Another thing that would have helped would have been a bit more passion or energy in the performances. No one (including Perry) really stood out in this and took hold of the movie. I also wasn't clear on the need to kill off Monica (Rachel Nichols) - Cross's colleague. She was involved with Cross's other partner Kane (Edward Burns) but killing her off at virtually the same time Cross's wife was killed made her death fade away into the background a bit and we never really thought about it all that much.

However, there were some things that worked well. There were a few "cover your eyes" moments at the beginning, as the torture of the first victim was portrayed. The killing of Cross's wife (although it seemed, as I said, contrived more as a way of evolving the character than an integral and necessary part of the film) certainly brought some emotional reactions forth, and the final confrontation between Cross and the killer was pretty well done.

I wouldn't call this a failure. It's received some pretty bad reviews. I'm going to rate it as a 6/10, but I don't think it was good enough to result in any ongoing Alex Cross movies, if that was the intention of the producers.

It's "Watchable"

Author: Chris L. from United States
14 February 2013

Alex Cross wasn't a action packed, edge of your seat type of movie. I do believe that was what it was supposed to be. The movie is what I would call "watchable". That means you can watch it from start to finish, without trying to poke your eyes out afterwards. It was a decent movie. Let me just say, it was better that anything else I've seen Tyler Perry in. The acting was okay.But let be real people...there was no Bruce Willis, or Selvester Stallone in it. If so, Alex Cross would get much higher than a "6" rating from me. I'm not going to say it was my favorite movie, I'm not going to say it was my most hated movie. Now it is not something I would constantly spend money on, like Star Wars. But, decent enough to watch.

P.s: Cicely Tyson needs to fire her agent fast. She is too good for this.

It was okay

Author: (bob-rutzel-1) from United States
12 February 2013

Detroit Detective Dr. Alex Cross (Tyler Perry) goes up against Picasso (Matthew Fox) an accomplished Hit-man who specializes in torture and pain for his victims. But, this time catching a killer is different because Picasso takes something from Cross.

Too often this felt rushed. The pacing was too fast when the police and Cross are talking about the case and following the leads. However when the story dealt with Cross' family this slowed to a crawl and too much time was spent there. Keep in mind that they had to give Cicely Tyson more screen time as Alex's mother.

The acting was good all around. Matthew Fox can play a scary dude. One might say John C. McGinley as Captain Rockwell exhibited forced anger (but that's his shtick) at times and it didn't fit some scenes as it was too over the top. Jean Reno, always good, has a small part in here.

Some good stunts and limited CGI rounded out the action for the most part. However (there you go again) the fight with Picasso was in subdued lighting and the cameraman had a hard time following the action as did we. The fight didn't end this. Cross needs to get the man who hired Picasso. See, we are still not done.

This must have been an earlier James Patterson novel made to a movie because in here Cross is considering joining the FBI in Washington, DC. The other two novels - also made into movies - are: ALONG CAME A SPIDER and KISS THE GIRLS both starring Morgan Freeman as Dr. Alex Cross and both movies had him in DC. But with the FBI? Cannot recall. Still this was okay. (5/10)

Violence: Yes. Sex: No. Nudity: No. Torture: Yes, in the beginning. Hollywood seems to like torture. Language: Soft stuff and very brief.

When devotion becomes a bit too much to ask

Author: Steve Pulaski from United States
6 February 2013

We've seen Alex Cross before, in numerous other detective films, and even if we haven't, or can't quite recall where, somehow we arrive at the expected conclusion in our heads roughly twenty-five minutes before the characters of the film do. This isn't the first time the title character, spawned from numerous novels by acclaimed author James Patterson (none of which read by me), has made his appearance on film, with Morgan Freeman last inhabiting the role in Along Came a Spider in 2001, which was a sequel to Kiss the Girls in 1997.

Now, in 2012, the filmmakers of Alex Cross clearly want two things to happen. They want to foster an action franchise with known cross-dressing comedian Tyler Perry in the title role, and they want his devoted fans, who show up opening weekend for his "Madea" films, to watch these films out of blatant curiosity. Despite not enjoying two of his previous pictures, I came to liking Tyler Perry in the role of an apparently smart detective. I employ the phrase "apparently smart" to note that never do we see just why Cross has gone on to receive that comment by all his colleagues and close friends. I guess when you enter a room filled with dead people and immediately state that one person committed the homicides is stunning confidence, everyone around you just goes along for the ride.

As established, our title character is Tyler Perry, a detective and psychologist living in Detroit with his loving wife Maria (Carmen Ejogo). Cross works with Tommy (Edward Burns) and Monica (Rachel Nichols), his partners who are secretly having an affair behind his back. It's also made clear that Cross and his wife Maria want to leave Detroit, because she is pregnant and wants to free both of them from the seamy Detroit area.

Yet with these stories there's always an "until..." Until a sociopathic killer who calls himself "Picasso" (Matthew Fox) enters the picture, after killing a woman named Fan Yau (Stephanie Jacobsen), who assists in running an enormous corporation. Cross predicts that the other heads of the corporation may be next, such as Giles Mercier (Jean Reno), and so the race to stop "Picasso" begins.

Give the performers some deserved credit. Perry plays his role with marginal sophistication, clearing establishing to his fanbase that may or may not be in the audience, and to others who have undoubtedly heard his name a few times, that he has the ability or the ambition to be diverse and layered. Fox also plays a convincing villain, although he's thanklessly underwritten and left without really much elaborate to do, thanks to the neutered PG-13 rating.

But the rather mild nature of Alex Cross doesn't bother me as much as the needlessness for this project or the half-baked story. From the lukewarm reception of Morgan Freeman's "Cross" films, to the uninspired aftertaste this film left many viewers, it's apparent to the public that while Alex Cross can certainly give a book a title and a legion of fans, it doesn't guarantee cinematic success. As much as I loathe the ignorant phrase of "the book is better than the movie," it would appear that the book can not be efficiently adapted to a movie. Writers Marc Moss and Kerry Williamson juggle juggle too many characters, a feeble plot, and Rob Cohen conducts exposition with boredom and action sequences with incoherency. The climatic fight between Cross and "Picasso" not only feels forced, but features some of the worst videography and direction I've seen this year - right up there with Olivier Megaton's Taken 2.

If Tyler Perry's legion of followers sought out Alex Cross, I commend them for their devotion and optimism. Whether or not they liked it is a mystery to me, but things aren't looking so hot in terms of overall reception. For them to seek out a sequel would be asking too much.

Starring: Tyler Perry, Matthew Fox, Edward Burns, Rachel Nichols, Cicely Tyson, and Jean Reno. Directed by: Rob Cohen.

A step above a generic action movie because of Fox's character. Movie is OK and worth seeing but Perry was a bad choice. I say B

Author: Tony Heck (cosmo_tiger@hotmail.com) from United States
4 February 2013

"I'm just looking for a bad guy." Homicide detective Alex Cross (Perry) is on the trail of a vicious serial killer (Fox). After wreaking havoc over the town Alex risks everything when his wife becomes a victim. He must use all his skills to stop the madman from killing again. I haven't seen the movies Kiss The Girls or Along Came A Spider so I wasn't really sure what to expect from this one. This is a "prequal" of sorts so I guess this is a good one to start with. I have to admit that the movie itself was OK. A little generic but saved by Matthew Fox. He was over the top creepy in this and really kept me interested. The down side was Tyler Perry. I will say that I am not a big fan of his but at least he stays in his comfort zone and knows what his fans want. This role is a departure for him but I just don't buy him as an action star at all. I don't know if it was him or his acting but I seemed distracted by him almost the entire time. Again though the movie itself is OK and worth seeing at least once. Overall, not a bad movie but would have been better if Perry wasn't the lead. I give it a B.

A peculiar thriller... With comic characters and tragic events

Author: Bene Cumb from Estonia/Tallinn
8 January 2013

The plot is rather weak, like a mixed porridge, lots of clichés, unlikely actions/activities and predictable ending. The titular character is played by Tyler Perry - who is totally unknown to me, and he is beneath notice in comparison with Morgan Freeman, who has played Alex Cross twice before. Supporting characters are more catchy, first and foremost Matthew Fox as Picasso (convincing villain), Jean Reno as Giles Mercier (glib billionaire) and Edward Burns as Tommy Kane (reckless cop); they probably agreed to play is this movie due to reputation of the director Rob Cohen, I guess.

There are hundreds of crime thrillers better than this out there, even in 2012; for instance, Safe House with Denzel Washington. Alex Cross is a kind of killing-time stuff, nothing special (however, not a flop either).

I really wanted to like this, but....

Author: scottcloney
30 October 2012

I was very excited when I heard about this movie, Alex Cross has always been one of my favorite characters and I was a big fan of the two older movies. I knew they would have to replace Morgan Freeman as he was too old to convincingly play Alex Cross anymore and I'll admit that I was not terribly happy to start with whom they chose.

However, Tyler Perry is not the problem with this movie. The actors in this film( Perry, Edward Burns, Rachel Nichols, Jean Reno and Matthew Fox) all do relatively good jobs with what they are given. The acting was never so bad that it distracted me from the movie and at times was pretty good. The writing and directing were nothing short of pathetic though.

I watched this movie and couldn't help but feel that they rushed the whole thing. No plot point is ever explained and no character development ever occurs. All characters except for Det. Cross are never, ever given any kind of development and very little of what these characters do makes any sense. Why would a professional assassin, who presumably has been doing this for a while, suddenly completely deviate from the way he does things to go after some police officers ,who managed to almost stop him only from a clue he gave them for no apparent reason to begin with. How could this guy have managed to kill people for so long if he was so erratic? Why does MAJOR SPOILER**** Jean Reno hire the hit-man in the first place, surely there are better ways to fake your death to cover money laundering than to hire a psychotic hit-man that you can't control.

This movie could have used another ten to fifteen minutes to develop some story lines and flesh out the ones they have. I wanted to like this movie, but in the end it made about the least sense of any movie I have seen in 10 years. I'd love to see Perry get another crack at Dr. Cross but as this is bombing pretty bad, I am pretty sure they have killed this character.

So very sad....

Why Was This Movie Even Made?

Author: thelastplace from United States
10 May 2014

I've been reading James Patterson for 20 years and have read ALL the Alex Cross books. This piece of crap was made for the money and no other reason. And from the posted gross, that didn't work either. First, the two previous movies were based on Alex Cross books, 'Along Came A Spider' and 'Kiss the Girls'. This was a made up story that is too predictable. Second, the partner, Thomas Kane, is NOT Cross' partner. He has NEVER had a partner except John Sampson. Third, Maria would have been dead BEFORE this movie, not in this movie. Fourth, set in DETROIT, not D.C. where it should have been set. I don't remember a single story where Alex Cross worked in Detroit, let alone lived there. Fifth, Cicely Tyson, as good as she is, was WRONG for the role of Nana Mama. Should I go on? If you love Alex Cross, stay away from this piece of garbage.

Deleted scenes would improve movie

Author: Atlvid from United States
19 June 2013

The DVD deleted scene with Cross figuring out the height & weight of the villain would have gone a long way to giving credibility to the character - rather than thinking he knew every thing just because he read the script. The other deleted scenes also added more to the story. Matthew Fox's transformation from his Lost character to Picasso was amazing. Switching from a good cop to bad cop seemed arbitrary and way over done. The director seemed to just go through the motions without regard for how the story would be viewed. Parts of his DVD commentary regarding current politicians and how he avoided taxes were pathetic and should have been excised by the producers.

Oh hey... A Tyler Perry movie I could sit through

Author: tiericafe from Australia
1 May 2013

Tyler Perry's, Alex Cross, wasn't even that bad considering the other movies he's made. So basically the movie was very average and the only thing holding it together was Matthew Fox's role. Typically, it starts off with the usual cliché 'save the day' scenario where Perry''s character, the Almighty Detective Alex Cross, catches yet another bad guy. After this ever so tiresome day of ridding the city from evil its clear his life is going smoothly; receiving news of his unborn child and a promising job opportunity at the FBI, what could possibly go awry? Cue in Mr. Fox. Matthew Fox is incredibly believable in his role as Picassso, a psychotic killer using unthinkable methods to torture his victims. His presence in the film was riveting which had you rooting for him rather than the police achieving justice. The movie in my opinion is a 5. When Cross' wife is shot by Picasso it is emphasized in the film with the scene of the death and funeral however when one of his fellow police mates are tortured and killed by Picasso its like no one cared. The movie probably mentioned it in two lines and that was it. It was if it was swept underneath the rug. So unrealistic. And the fact that Cross predicted the arrival of Picasso two seconds before he actually arrived in the last scene made me roll my eyes so hard I was borderline having a stroke. If I was deducting points from this movie for all the loose ends and its unrealistic nature, the score would be non existent. So I now present this film with 4 points for Matthew Fox's great achievement in portraying a crazy bug eyed killer and 1 point for Tyler Perry actually hiring Matthew Fox. Kudos Tyler Perry! At least you got something right.

Perry's Cross to Bear

Author: whatashleyknows from Canada
23 December 2012

I am generally a pretty big fan of Tyler Perry's films, though he is "hated on" a lot, I do feel that his stories are worth telling, HOWEVER, he should stick to his own films because it has been an awfully long time since I forced myself to sit through such a horrible film. From the opening scene to the closing, this was one frustrating scene after another.

The opening scene...where do I start? The cheesiest, tackiest film shots, music, and dialogue I've ever seen in a "serious" film since the 70's. And it continues from there. One particular shot where the "bad guy", Fox, cuts off the fingers of a victim yet there appears to be no blood on the weapon that he is holding in his hands in the same scene. What kind of director misses that?!?! The acting is atrocious as is the character development. There is no flow in any way shape or form.

I can't seem to find anything positive to review about this film so I'll leave it at that.

Waste of good material

Author: kevinmorice from United Kingdom
20 December 2012

How you take an Alex Cross book, add Matthew Fox as the villain, and turn out this nonsense is beyond me.

Surely at the very worst you watch the Morgan Freeman movies and hire someone to do an impression? Or at least look at the scripts of those and see what worked?

Some of the action is so silly that it is hilarious. Picasso is such a good fighter he takes on the local MMA champion and ends his career with minimal effort, but he can't beat an out-of- shape, middle-age Cross who has a broken arm.

Some of the suspense is even worse. One of the cops is tortured and killed off and it isn't even referenced. His wife is killed off and he is back at work the day after and chasing the killer.

And then there are the stupid things that they add in just to make visuals. Why on earth are there a load of viewing hatches in the water pipe? This is so obviously done just so we can watch the villain in the pipe and is beyond stupid.

Crippled by a weak supporting cast and a poor script!

Author: varghesejunior from India
18 December 2012

Let me start by confessing that I never considered Tyler Perry to be the right match to play the legendary doctor-detective Alex cross on the big screen.

The only reason I was drawn toward this film was Matthew Fox. I felt this movie watching this movie would be the only way I could appreciate his dedication and hard work, clearly evident by the effort he put into chiseling his body to suit the appearance of a psycho-sadist serial killer.

I was however pleasantly surprised by Perry's performance, contrary to my opinion he pulls of this role quite appreciably, although I still believe Idris Alba would've been a better choice. What is strikingly disappointing about this film is the poor performance of the supporting actors. Starting from the Chief of police to Tyler's partner Thomas Kane everyone looks misplaced, Kane struggles to reproduce even the most basic of emotions on screen.

The next obvious flaw about this film is the script, in one particular scene of the movie, Alex cross talks to his wife about getting a job with the FBI because it has a better pay & 'dental' that should probably sum it up for you.

Apart from the reasonably good performances by Perry and Fox the only other appreciable points of this movie are probably the score and a couple of well filmed action scenes. It's worth a miss.

I knew it...

Author: Beauq81 from Belgrade
13 December 2012

Whenever I see a "how it was made" on TV and hear the cast and crew talk about the movie, the characters and each other with adoration, I just know the movie will suck. When I heard Rachel Nichols talk about her character, it reminded me of Keri Russell talking about hers in Mission Impossible 3, and I was right - just like Lindsey Farris, Monica Ashe dies in the first half of the movie. And you can just see it throughout the movie that her faith is sealed.

Tyler Perry and Rob Cohen praised Morgan Freeman's portrayal and said that Perry will bring a new perspective and freshness to the role. Let me tell you, I really would have preferred to see Freeman, even at his age - especially at his age - wield a shotgun and fight Picasso. Tyler Perry just doesn't have the same emotional depth, though, I have to admit, he does look scary when he's out for blood.

I won't say it was a complete waste of time, but it still was. There were some scenes that reminded me more of a soap opera, than of an action thriller. Everyone overacted their parts and the dialog was pretty cheesy, but I can't really blame the actors for that, because it's the director who, well - directs.

I have nothing against bad movies. It is the best way to see what is good, but, please, at least make them cheap! I hate to see all that money go to waste when there are people with more creativity, but less funding.

P.S. A month ago, when I wrote the first part, I hadn't yet read a single Alex Cross book. Since then, I read the first 3 and started the 4th and, though most of my previous statements still stand, I do have to say that Tyler Perry is physically closer to the image of Cross I had while reading the book, than Morgan Freeman.

Funniest tag-line of the year.

Author: FlashCallahan from Leicester, United Kingdom
10 December 2012

So we get the sort of prequel to the other movies, and the first thing you realise is that the film is woefully miscast.

Perry should stick to wearing a dress, because he is the poor mans Alex Cross, and I couldn't help but think that he just couldn't be bothered.

Saying that though, it's not as bad as many say. It's not good, but then I have a penchant for thrillers that were released in the very late nineties (Switchback, 8MM, The Jackal, Mercury Rising) and this feels so much like one of those.

Fox and Burns are the best things in the movie, while Jean Reno makes a special guest appearance playing an embarrassed fat European in a turkey, much like Gerard Depiedieu (whatever) in Babylon A.D.

The film never really bothers the grey matter, The villain is pantomime evil, and Perry has a fight at the end hanging from a ceiling.

I do hate myself for enjoying the film as much as I did, but then again, any film with a rocket launcher can't be that bad.

It's predictable, with some atrocious characters (Hi Mom!), but somehow, it's watchable.

Welcome back 1997.

His best movie

Author: Pamela Foster from United States
27 October 2012

I know I am in the minority here but I really enjoyed Tyler getting out of that dress and playing a masculine role. Some have commented on his acting skills..yes there is a lot for him to work on but this is by far his best role!! So many people have complained that he was pigeon holing himself with his Madea character and I do agree. However he is trying to cross (no pun intended) over into a new genre and now people are up in arms about that. You can't win for losing with some. I really believe he can transform into an "actor" if he keeps receiving parts that actually challenge him and not stay in his comfort zone and cash cow characters. All in all I was impressed that he took a chance.

the glass is half full

Author: buli-gadol from bangkok, thailand
26 October 2012

it could have been a great movie...it had a good script,great actor Matthew Fox as never seen before - reminded me the joker Heath Ledger version a bit... but other than that....disappointing. a lot of boring dialogs,fast forwarding important parts in the tail on the other hand ???!!! and ending fight scene that looked like it was shoot on a smart phone camera that made everybody in the cinema feel dizzy :)))

it's a shame really...i hope we get to see Matthew fox again soon but under a better director.

not of a cinema movie anyway as too lack of action or 3d special effects i guess it will go out to your nearest blockbuster soon if nothing else is available...take it :)

Tyler Perry isn't the problem........

Author: julianmarksmith from United Kingdom
8 November 2012

I'm a big fan and current reader of another James Patterson novel. I must admit though, that in my head, I see Morgan Freeman in the role as I read and was not looking forward to seeing another actor take his place.

I'll further add that I'm English and had no idea who Tyler Perry was before looking him up on IMDb. Having said that I thought he did a pretty good job.

My overall criticism of this movie is that it's just not that good. I know it's rare that a book translates to the screen in the same way but with Patterson on the team I thought it'd work better than this. The books build suspense page after page and you're gripped, on the edge of your seat at every turn, but this movie just 'got things done' asap! Oohhh! someone is murdered, oohhh! someone is in trouble, oohhh the hero's wife is murdered, so we're supposed to care more and then the cop goes 'rogue' against the political Captain's wishes but is saved in the end by his partner 'who knows him better than anyone else'!! Such a shame, James Patterson's books are awesome, however, their translations never are...........!

Not Bad...

Author: popimassey from United States
1 November 2012

I admit that I was very hesitant to see this movie after reading the user reviews, but I must say that it was better than I thought. Although Tyler Perry, who is known more for his comedic roles than drama/action, wasn't a Denzel, he held his own on this one and with more opportunities, could be a pretty good action hero.

You can only do so much with what you're given, and **SPOILER ALERT** they focused a bit to much on some of the more somber parts of the movie, it still added to the emotion of why Cross wanted to capture Picasso.

Overall, I would recommend seeing it on the big screen if you're a fan of Tyler Perry, or just want to go and see a decent action flick.

Fox's finest hour.

Author: groovin_moovin_dancer
4 December 2012

So this film is not a masterpiece of action cinema and I most likely won't be watching this film again. But, despite what everyone is saying, I found this film enjoyable while it lasted.

I found both the antagonist and the protagonist engaging enough to hold my interest until the final act, especially Fox who really delivered a brilliant performance here. The support performances aren't great, and they seem to have no real heart as characters, but there are sideline characters that are really brilliant.

The action sequences are a little blurry and it is hard to tell who is punching who, but they do their job and they aren't overburdened throughout the film.

Everything in this film is pulled off well enough to keep you engaged, and although you won't be blown away I don't think you will be disappointed either.

Tyler Perry is no Morgan Freeman

Author: DarkVulcan29 (DarkVulcan29@aol.com) from United States
22 October 2012

Alex Cross(Tyler Perry) a cop, who becomes a target by a crazed hired killer(Matthew Fox), after Cross and his team thwarted a hit of his. Now Cross gets pulled in a deadly game of cat and mouse. He must think like him, in order to stop him, but the question is will he?

Tyler Perry is so miscast here, watching him in the movie, to me he just seems so out of place. But I'll give him credit, he does play the part to the best of his advantage, although Idris Elba would have been a better choice. Now Matthew Fox really takes this film, has the hired killer who really loves his job a little too much. He is just flat out creepy, I think he was channeling Malcolm McDowell from A Clockwork Orange(1971). There are some good tense scenes, but others rely on shaky cam and that got really annoying. Morgan Freeman made this role in Kiss The Girls(1997) and Along Came a Spider(2001). Tyler Perry is awesome,but let's face it he is no Morgan Freeman.

Decent action flick

Author: raisleygordon from Ladson, SC
25 November 2012

"Alex Cross", fortunately, is not as mediocre as I thought it would be. It's a pretty decent movie, if you can make it past, say, the setup. But Perry is no Morgan Freeman. He's not bad, but if he wants to play this character again, or even star in anything non-Madea, or anything not based on his plays, then he'll have to keep doing movies like this (or anything else non-Madea) to make his acting truly worthwhile. One of the highlights of the movie: When the villain blows up some of Downtown Ohio (or Detroit, I don't know where this takes place) from the subway.

*** out of ****

It's an OK movie, but not Alex Cross from any of the books.

Author: cmdinny
21 October 2012

I read several reviews of this movie before I went and I was expecting the worst movie ever, but for the first show price of $6, I figured I try it anyway. Overall, it wasn't as bad as people said. When I heard this movie was being made with Tyler Perry, I was so excited. Alex Cross is one of my favorite characters of all time.I had seen the other movies with Morgan Freeman, which I loved, but Morgan Freeman was too old and physically not the Alex Cross of the books. I love James Patterson's flair for bringing to life such a strong, likable, noble character. The Alex Cross of this movie was not that man. Tyler Perry's Alex was strong and likable and mostly noble, but he was not the literary character I love. Tyler Perry definitely had the feel for him, but the writing of this screenplay was terrible. I understand that by moving the setting from DC to Detroit, film makers gave a much needed boost to the depressed economy in Detroit. I applaud that. However, one of the key elements in Alex Cross's character is his devotion to the neighborhood he grew up in and its people. John Sampson is his best friend, and a black man. Adding Edward Burns' character made this more appealing to white viewers, I guess. Another change seems to be that Nana Mama is now Alex's mother, not grandmother and Janelle (daughter) is older than Damon (son). There were one or two other nods to the various novels, but different. Stupid little changes that Hollywood made, but it looks like James Patterson signed off on, if the JP Enterprises that produced this film is his company. I am glad I saw this movie. It was certainly better than other action movies in the last few years, but it was disappointing. I assume they'll make another one. I'll see that too probably since I am a fan of both Tyler Perry and Edward Burns. The best part of this movie, acting-wise, was Matthew Fox. He was so out of character as the psycho killer and almost hard to look at with his physical changes (weight loss, hair cut). He was downright creepy and his unique ways of carrying out his plans kept my interest. Go see it. Worth at a matinée price.

Alex wanna be Bond

Author: pensman from United States
19 October 2012

What happened? Did Patterson just sell the title of the novel and pocket the money? This is not Alex Cross. If you are a Tyler Perry fan then maybe this is the movie for you but if you are a fan of the character then stay with the books or wait for better casting. When did Cross go from being a profiler to action hero? Morgan Freeman nailed the character and maybe he felt himself too old but Perry? There is the requisite noise here with explosions and such but overall this is a very cheap man's Bond and I mean cheap. If there was a budget it isn't up there on the screen. Thank God my friends shelled out for this because I thought this should have gone straight to DVD.

Where's Morgan?

Author: Catt Jones (cattjones@chixchatonfilm.com) from TX, United States
19 October 2012

I want to start off by saying that I have never read a James Patterson novel, nor did I see Morgan Freeman's interpretation of Alex Cross. This film is about a gun for hire who takes particular enjoyment in sadistically killing his marks. I think that the story was okay, but there was nothing fantastic about it. It was pretty much your run of the mill crime drama that could have probably aired on Criminal Minds on television. Tyler Perry (Dr. Alex Cross) steps out of his usual comedic role to take a stab at the action genre. I don't think that Tyler did a bad job, but I guess that the role would have been more believable with Denzel or Indris. It just seems like some of the emotional aspects of his acting seemed a bit forced, but I have to say that the fight scenes were well choreographed. It seems like Cicely Tyson (Nana Mama) appears in every film that Tyler is in or makes. I like Cicely and I am just glad that she is still getting roles and getting paid. You go, girl! Matthew Fox (Picasso) plays one crazy nut job. However, some of the stuff that he does in this film, I have seen before. His tactics was not new or surprising. I would have really liked it if the writers would have come up with a new and more twisted torture method. Not that I am into torture or anything, but I am into originality. Edward Burns (Tommy Kane) is Alex's partner and lifelong friend. He is ultimately as eager as Alex to hunt down this lunatic for reasons that become clear in the film. Giancarlo Esposito (Daramus Holiday) appears to be popping up all over the place lately. I remember first seeing him in Spike Lee's Do the Right Thing and now he also has a major role in Revolution on television. Good for him. To sum things up, the film did keep my attention and the story was good, but I am not sure that this is a film that belongs on the big screen. I hope that they are not thinking about turning this into a franchise, but that probably depends on how well the film does at the box office. Maybe Morgan Freeman did a better job than Tyler. I may have to go back and check out his version. I give this film an amber light.

Tyler Perry and Matthew Fox are the best part 6/10

Author: Cunnilingilator from United States
9 July 2012

I have not ready the books or seen either of the previous films. Also I have only seen parts of Tyler Perry's other movies and that was enough to let me know I didn't want to watch any more. That being said, I felt that Tyler Perry's performance was very believable and very different than what I was expecting. At points in the film he is a bad-ass (albeit a bit overweight, but hey not all heroes hit the treadmill) and at others he is quite likable. He has some some quick and funny dialogue that he looked very at home with. All in all I now believe he is a pretty decent actor especially when comparing to his other "characters."

Matthew Fox plays an intense dude. Check out the images section to see what I'm talking about. He plays the insanity factor pretty hard and at times feels like he is nearing the "full retard" line but he never quite jumps the shark. It's sort of hit and miss. At times it's extremely effective and at others it seems a bit overdone. As a whole, pretty effective, and definitely crazy.

I liked Edward Burns as Alex's partner and Rachel Nicols as the third in their team. I was disappointed with basically everything else in the movie. Acting was for the rest of the characters pretty downright bad (with the exception of Dr. Cox who was acceptable). The stunts, aside from a cool fight scene in a business office, were pretty lame. The cinematography was average. The script was too heavy handed and convenient. The dialogue was good but the situations were not so much. It sort of felt like they were trying too hard to be gritty and raw.

Seriously though Tyler Perry is BY FAR better than you are expecting. Go see it just to have your perception of him shattered a bit.