IMDb > Alex Cross (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Alex Cross More at IMDbPro »

1 hour 40 minutes

Author: cageydog from D.C.
21 March 2014

If you can think of ANYTHING else to do for 1 hour 40 minutes, do it. Poorly scripted, odd casting, poorly executed, worst stunts since the 70's. The movie simply fails to ever become interesting. Matthew Fox's performance as Picasso was over the top, unbelievable and was the worst performance I have seen from him. Tyler Perry was equally hard to buy as Alex Cross though he was better than Fox. The storyline included way too much unnecessary distraction that could only have been left in as filler. I also found the over the top stereotyping of Germans to be insulting, but it is this hypocritical double standard that connects this movie with Perry's other works and it is not OK. Perry has a core audience and a formula for success that is based around generating as much revenue as possible from that audience, utilizing works not based on production value, dramatic story lines or artistic expression. If this is an example of the best he can produce outside the lucrative niche he has created, he should stick to what he is famous for.

Thirty years younger

Author: Iain McDougall from Bristol. England
10 March 2014

I'm sure Morgan Freeman wishes he was thirty years younger if he watches this effort with his characters' name attributed to it. This is nothing like 'Kiss the girls' or 'Along came a spider'. The performers can only actor with the script they're given but surely there must be somebody better than Tyler Perry? Idris Elba would have been perfect for this role.

This movie feels more like a spoof than an action thriller. Poorly acted by both lead players and the plot is so predictable that it's painful. The cast do their best with the material, 'Lost' star Matthew Fox appears to have invested a lot into the film, almost unrecognisable as the heavily tattooed, muscular psycho. His physical transformation can't disguise overacting, but at least it's a menacing performance.

A piece of garbage

Author: tchase98
26 January 2014

The only thing this movie has in common with the book Cross is the name of the character. From the location to the type of vehicle he drives is wrong. It might of been an enjoyable movie by itself with different characters. The whole motivation of the Alex Cross character is the fact that he doesn't know who his wife's killer is and why she was killed for many years. His partner is a giant of a black dude who is named Sugar. Cross doesn't have a profiling unit of his own within the police dept and Nana Mamma is his grandmother not his mother. The writers of this movie must of never of read a Alex Cross book before or at any time while writing this movie. I didn't mind the actor who is mostly known for dressing up as an old black woman playing Cross. He did a OK job. I'm surprised they didn't have him play Nana Mamma also. In the end this movie sucked!!!!

A darker Cross let down by its opening and closing action sequences

Author: jtindahouse from Nelson, New Zealand
16 January 2014

I'm a big fan of the 'Alex Cross' series of books. I feel they've weakened a little in recent years, but was still glad to hear they were rebooting the movie series. The most exciting part of the books for me was always the villains, The Wolf, The Mastermind, Casanova etc. and how Cross would be effected by them and ultimately track them down and confront them. This was key to the quality of each individual book to me and I felt the first two movies 'Kiss the Girls' and 'Along Came a Spider' were a real let down in this regard.

So I was glad to my find myself captivated by Matthew Fox's portrayal of Picasso. His opening scene demands your attention and his screen presence never lets up from that point on. The other thing I was always going to be interested in was how Tyler Perry went at portraying Cross. For me Morgan Freeman has always just been Cross. When I'm reading one of the books I can't help but picture him. He brought a calm serenity to the role that helped define Cross for me and I felt Perry had this as well, at least for the first half of the film.

The film really shows us two sides of Cross. At around the halfway stage, Cross's pregnant wife is shot dead by Picasso himself. This enrages Cross and sends him rogue along with his partner Thomas Kane who also has had his lover murdered by Picasso. From this point on we see a darker Cross, willing to use any means necessary to enact revenge upon his wife's killer. Perry's performance gets even better from this stage on. He nails the intensity needed to bring the audience in on the pain and drive he's feeling to achieve his ultimate goal.

The problems lie in the writing for the most part. The opening and closing action sequences just don't have any imagination. The car crash that sets up the closing one is also bizarre. Are we just supposed to believe this was a complete coincidence? Or has Cross displayed superhuman timing to achieve this, risking his friends life in the process? Incredibly lazy writing shown at that point.

It's far from perfect. The actress cast as Nana Mama was done so poorly. She had none of the charm that the character in the books has. She just came across as mean. The twist right at the end is one of the most foreseeable I can ever remember. One scene, from a big name actor, that added absolutely nothing to the story at the time = has to be a twist that he was in on it. More lazy writing.

But for all its faults its a very watchable movie. Perry and Fox are excellent and the story is entertaining, if flawed. I certainly have no objections to more additions being added to the series.

Perry acquits himself adequately; too bad he's a bit out of his element

Author: callanvass from victoria b.c canada
25 August 2013

Perry's foray into a more serious genre is a bit of a misfire to say the least. I've said it before. I quite like Tyler Perry. He's fearless and ambitious, but when I found out he was taking over for Morgan Freeman, that really made my head spin. It's certainly not a horrible performance. He tries his best, and he does nail one really emotional scene, but he was rather awkward to watch. You can also tell he had some serious influence into the making of this film. His character is religious. There are some decent chase scenes which provide excitement, and I was never truly bored. It was just there and nothing really special ever came out of it. Guys like Edward Burns & Jean Reno lend solid support for Perry. Matthew Fox is the best thing about this movie. He gives a very good performance as Picasso; very creepy stuff from him. I admire Perry's foray into another genre, but I don't think he is gonna usher in a new era for the Cross series like he was hoping for.

Final Thoughts: It's worth a look if you see it on cable, but I wouldn't pay money to see it. It's pretty mediocre stuff when all is said and done. You could do a lot worse, but you could also do much better. Watch Kiss The Girls if you wanna see a decent Cross film.

4.5/10

Are you kidding me? Such a disappointment

Author: Enjoy Movies from United States
6 March 2013

***Spoiler Alert***First, this should have been rated R. There was torture of women with drugs and extremely violent. Aside from that, the flow of the movie was ridiculous. Right after Cross's wife is murdered, he doesn't go straight after the killer, he pauses to have a public funeral first with all of his family and he himself a target. It ruins the flow of the movie and is so insane you can no longer suspend belief to enjoy the film. The scene between Perry and Tyson could have been extraordinary, but it is ruined with poor writing. And then the last scene between Cross despite them both losing the loves of their lives, they try to make the scene a distastefully upbeat. The movie could have been a good thriller, but those involved puked all over it.

Just a Very Good Cop vs. Serial Assassin Thriller

Author: doug_park2001 from United States
20 June 2013

ALEX CROSS has all the ingredients we expect in a film of its sort: an engaging plot-line, a criminal we love to hate and want to see "get his," harrowing chase scenes, a couple of real surprises, etc. It also has several of the corninesses and unlikelihoods that are usually found in a film of this genre, but oh well.

Tyler Perry plays the role of the lead character, a combination psychologist-profiler-homicide detective, very naturally, and the character he plays is better developed than those in many thrillers. Matthew Fox is similarly good in the role of the psychopathic bad guy. Most of the supporting cast play their roles quite believably: There are some truly interesting characters in this film, e.g., Cicely Tyson as "Nana Mama."

Notably, ALEX CROSS succeeds in being rivetingly disturbing without a lot of gore, ultra-violence, or any serious sex/nudity to spice the cake (hence, the PG-13 rating).

Horrible waste of time

Author: amit-misra86 from Canada
10 February 2013

The trailers for this movie looked okay. Watched it thinking it would be a regular action flick nothing special maybe with some half decent acting in it. After watching this movie I was again reminded of just how awful Tyler Perry is at acting and making movies. This movie had a horrible script and story line. No character development and the most predictable plot ever. The acting in this movie was atrocious, I was actually somewhat excited to see Matthew Fox in something after lost and playing a completely different type of role. His character had no depth at all. Some pretty poor character development I must say. I would not recommend wasting any money let alone time on this movie. By that I mean that this movie is not even worth an illegal download. Better off watching something else, I am not sure how this wasn't a straight to DVD movie I would have been angry if I actually paid to watch this in the theatre.

Elementary it isn't!

Author: alex (doorsscorpywag) from United Kingdom
15 December 2012

I have read some of Patterson's novels and don't think he is particularly good. I watched the two film spin offs which were OK mainly due to the superb Morgan Freeman rather than any great plot or script.

I have seen a few movies with him in but don't know the lead actor and from his performance doubt he will trouble me in the future. Bad does not even come close to his performance. Not that he was alone as some very good actors joined him in the stinking the place out stakes.

This seemed to be a modern take on a black version of Sherlock Holmes as the Cross guy would for no particular reason make wild deductions of his daughter, friends and of course the psycho killer called Picasso. Ed Burns (who is a very good actor) seemed to spend all his time looking lovingly at the genius of Shelock Cross as he burbled out his 'keen' insights into the mind of the killer which frankly would embarrass the dog in the Famous Five which had more idea. If this was the best the department had then it must have been staffed by some of the stupidest cops in America.

The script was not even pedestrian and there was no character or plot development and the one dimensional killer, victims and detectives who peopled this so called thriller were ordinary in the extreme. Only the very dull Alex Holmes stood out from this dismal pack because he could throw out some nonsense that had them in awe of him.

But of course there was no deduction involved. Simply he would say something that turned out to be right. Such as the ridiculous scene with the train when looking around the square with cops and victims everywhere he deduced with seconds to spare that the threat was coming from a train that had not yet hoven into view.

The killer who was supposed to be some super expert mercenary hit-man did some pretty stupid things such as driving around in the same car oblivious to whether some camera would photograph his number plate. Why he bothered to target Cross made no real sense as the detective surely was nothing more than a minor irritant to such a professional. But of course we needed Cross angry for the final section of the film.

The angry Cross even more ridiculous then a calm one as he and Norton carried out an armed robbery, beat the hell out of a drug dealer and somehow illegally stitched up a perp from thousands of miles away.

The finale and then the shock ending where Sherlock solved the case and the perp was brought to 'justice' was laughable. How a cop who looked like he could skip a few meals could overpower a man who looked like (and had shown in the opening sequence) that he could eat Seal Team 6 for breakfast left me bewildered.

Hopefully this will be the final nail in a series of films that was OK at best only due to the presence of Morgan Freeman.

Stay Away !

Author: steli-babu from Switzerland
15 December 2012

To begin I have watched tons of movies in the past years out of which many were really bad. However, this is the first time I am reviewing a movie and if you watched it you surely understand why. I got this movie from a friend and I went out to read the reviews before watching it, as I usually do. Although I had the feeling it's going to be a bad picture and I postponed watching it as long as possible, I gave it a try on a boring Thursday evening. My opinion: DREADFUL. The screenplay is the worst I've ever seen. There is absolutely nothing exciting, entertaining or even interesting. To me, it looks as if it was written by a toddler. Friendly advice : do not watch it under any circumstances!

After seeing this, I went to borrow Kiss the Girls, basically the older version of Alex Cross. There is no possible comparison between these two movies, and I honestly think that Morgan Freeman deserved better. Tyler Perry should stick to Madea as it suits him much better.

1 out of 10 !

Morgan Freeman...we love you!

Author: sean simpson from United Kingdom
11 December 2012

It's not very often I lose interest in a movie that I've looked forward to viewing for a while, being a fan of the "Freeman originals", but I have to say Alex Cross fails miserably in most of the basic departments that make a film good to watch. Tyler Perry has NO screen presence at all...no passion, boring, painful to watch (embarrassing at times)has no depth in his character and is totally unbelievable in the lead role. I have to admit I haven't watched him in much but on this evidence alone i certainly haven't missed out and won't be rushing out to watch him in anything soon! The plot is dire...rushed but very slow in getting there (if that makes sense???) and very thin to be polite and the apparent twist at the end is dreadful and makes a mockery of everything that went before it!. The acting is terrible, with the exception of Matthew Fox (the butcher of sligo title he bestows upon himself is never explained!) who was totally underused and under developed and in the end brushed aside when he should have been the focus of the film until the end! It was boring enough the first 45 mins or so but when Fox killed Cross' pregnant wife and tortured one of his female colleagues I thought here we go...now the movie might finally get going as we have a decent psycho villain on our hands...but unfortunately no...it got worse! I really hope if they revamp the character again they find a new leading man as it looks as if it's set itself up for a few more sequels...of which I definitely won't be seeing if Perry is in the lead role. Disappointed is an understatement!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd better have watched a German police movie.

Author: david-robin from France
18 September 2014

- the crime-scene cop, the one who is supposed to convey the horror of what he just found ... is the doctor of "Scrub". - the romance between 2 criminal investigators, in love since they're 12... - "Our killer thinks he is a Picasso". says the police team-mate... - "We are all formers from the German police" say the bodyguards...

At this point in the film, I had HUGE doubts regarding the potential of film. And then I saw skinny Matthew Fox swimming in a decorative water pipe, and I totally lost hope.

I will try to stick to plans, and produce a serious review :

- the plot is stupid. Main character Alex Cross (Tyler Perry) investigates the crimes of a contract killer, who gives out transparent clues on his next target by drawing Picasso-inspired fusains (just because he is crazy). The uninspired writers had several reminiscence of David Fincher's seVen (pregnant wife, self-punishment, etc).

- the cinematography is worse than most TV series.

- the music score by John Debney (several Marvel soundtracks, "Hanna Montana") is transparent. The crying violins are repeatedly boring. The moments of emotional tension are highlighted by digital percussions.

- the actors? ...ah ah. AH AH AH!

Not as bad as other reviewers suggest

Author: jsaus63304 from United States
17 April 2014

I have long been a fan of the John Patterson series of books about the Alex Cross character and have read almost all of them. I read "Cross" which is the book this movie was based on. Too bad the writers and producers did not read it before making the movie.

First of all, the good about the movie. Tyler Perry fits the Alex Cross character description as given by James Patterson in the books more than Morgan Freeman did in the earlier movies (a resemblance to a 40 year old Mohammad Ali and Freeman sure is not that). There is enough plot to keep you interested and some pretty good stunts and special effects to keep you stimulated.

The bad is that it had little to do with the book. Alex Cross was single throughout the book series because his wife had been killed many years earlier. His partner, John Sampson, is absent and replaced with a different character. Cross is already working for The FBI in the book. The story takes place in Washington DC, not Detroit. I could go on and on, but you get the idea. On top of that, the plot was different as was the ending. I believe that if you want to base a movie on a book, it should at least resemble the book.

The next movie is supposed to be "Double Cross" which brings back the Kyle Craig character. There needs to be at least some background on Craig, his FBI ties, his relationship to Cross and to the Mastermind before this movie can become viable. Absent this, it will just be another movie that has no relationship to the book it is based on.

Bottom line is-if you just enjoy action, suspense, mystery, detective movies, you will enjoy this. If you are a fan of the Alex Cross series and somewhat of a purest, you will be disappointed.

Poor Acting And Screenplay

Author: Intern2014 from United States
9 March 2014

Alex Cross is a crime thriller that stars Tyler Perry in the title role.It tells a story about how Cross meets his match in the Picasso,portrayed by Matthew Fox. This is the third film that features the character Alex Cross, the main character in a series of novels by James Patterson.The movie was was adapted from the novel "Cross," written by screenwriters Marc Moss and Kerry Williamson.It was directed Rob Cohen.

In the film,Cross' main target is a psycho named Picasso, a serial killer who tortures and mutilates his victims. Picasso is a bellicose suit-wearing monster who early on takes off his jacket and tie and reveals the psychopath within. When Cross studies the crime scenes he's left and watches as Picasso continue killing innocents around town.But when the mission gets personal,he is pushed to the edge of his moral and psychological limit.

It is too bad that Tyler Moore does not hold a candle to the performance of Morgan Freeman,who performed Alex Cross in the two previous movies namely,Kiss the Girls and Along Came a Spider.Added to that,the story is dull,predictable and boring.It is far from interesting as it is clichéd and has an unbearable dialogue.Added to that,the action scenes does not contribute to make the film even better.Skip this one.

Tyler Perry - Sign of Mediocrity

Author: imdb-45 from New York
6 March 2014

This film is an embarrassment. It makes B movies look like top notch thrillers. Everything is wrong with this film, exaggerated and unnatural, like almost everything I've seen Tyler Perry produce. The script is predictable and laughable. There is no chemistry between the actors and the dialog is stilted, awkward and difficult to hear.

Perry's character, Alex Cross, is a psychic genius. He can tell what went on at a scene just by his very presence. He knows one man did everything because... well... he's just so darn smart. He has the same cool demeanor the entire film and he's just not a credible character.

The worst part is that there are no twists that can't be seen a mile away and the film plays out from beginning to end without surprises. A serial killer wants to take out everyone and now it's up to our resident genius to prevent that from happening. Even the mediocre "Along Came a Spider" which featured Morgan Freeman was miles ahead of this farce. This is the kind of film that goes straight to video and gets played late night on free TV channels, if you want to waste your time on this (but certainly not your money.)

Laughable

Author: stevenjsed from St Anthony, MN
22 February 2014

I wanted to give this movie a 0 out of 10 but the fact is that I laughed through most of it. If this movie was written as a comedy I would have given it an 8.

The script, the direction and the acting started out bad and got worse as the movie went on. If I had paid to see this movie I would have asked for my money back

I feel bad that I have to write 10 lines of text to have a review of a very bad movie published on IMDb, I am sure the producers and directors wanted to have a better finished product than this movie and I hope James Patterson got a lot of money for his part but they will need to change the main actors if there is going to be another Alex Cross movie. An 80 year old Morgan Freeman would make a more believable crime fighter than Tyler Perry does now.

The big man steps out of drag

Author: gradyharp from United States
21 February 2014

James Patterson's novels have given us some memorable characters and one of the more memorable is Dr Alex Cross, a homicide detective/psychologist with the Detroit Police Department. The always-popular Madea of Tyler Perry's creation steps out of the drag costume this time around and becomes a very credible Dr. Alex Cross: the transition is comfortable and encouraging for him as an actor.

Dr. Alex Cross (Tyler Perry) with the help of his aide Thomas Kane (Edward Burns) is on his last police duty to track down an assassin called Picasso (Matthew Fox), who's been torturing and killing rich businessmen in Detroit. When Cross' wife is killed by Picasso the mission becomes exceedingly personal, Cross is pushed to the edge of his moral and psychological limits to end this once and for all and from that point on the movie gains speed and is well resolved. There are some fine cameos by Cicely Tyson, Jean Reno, Chad Lindberg, Carmen Ejogo and Giancarlo Esposito.

The screenplay gets a bit self indulgent and sappy at times but the movie as a hole comes off well. Tyler Perry has more chutzpah than we've seen before.

A Drag Of A Detective With No Deduction

Author: LeonLouisRicci from United States
16 February 2014

Why, for All that is Holy, would You make a Movie about a Modern Day Sherlock Holmes with a Doctorate in Psychology who is an Analytical Detective by way of Being Police, and then Disregard all of that with a Brain Dead Script with Little Deduction and even Less Detecting. He is called Detective Doctor Cross Many Times just for Source Material Recognition.

But there is Action Movie Money to be Made so all of that Brainiac Stuff is too Cerebral for the Masses so no one will Notice. But they did. This Movie was a Disaster at the Box Office and Took a Critical Whipping on Most Posts.

So there. It should be a Lesson Learned but don't Hold Your Breath Expecting too many Complex Thrillers to come from Hollywood Anytime Soon. Aside from Lack of Intelligence in a Movie about an Intellectual Crime Fighter, the Action Parts of the Film are nothing worth Analysis Except in a Word or Two. Boring...Uneventful.

The Final Fight between our Hero and Villain is so Shaky Camera and the Image Bobs Up and Down so Frequently and So Fast that it Might just get the Award for the Shakiest Camera Scene Ever and that's No Mean Feat Considering the Competition.

This is a guy who can tell you had scrambled eggs for breakfast at a hundred yards.

Author: Ben Larson from Leesburg, FL
15 February 2014

Finally, a Tyler Perry movie that is actually funny. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

This is the third Alex Cross movie. It ranks fourth after Along Came a Spider and Kiss the Girls, both starring Morgan Freeman. You can't replace Matt Damon as Jason Bourne, and you can't replace Morgan Freeman as Alex Cross.

Weak acting, a sorry script, lousy directing; I could go on, but you get the idea.

It's a good thing we had The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2 and Battleship last year or this movie would have swept the worst movie awards.

Please don't tell me there is a sequel planned.

Author: grantss from Sydney, Australia
2 January 2014

Disappointing. Started well, and looked set to be a good game of intrigue between the two main protagonists. However, just when it started to ramp up the tension, it all got released in a rush by becoming a conventional action-thriller and sprinting to the conclusion.

Some more character development, especially of the killer, was required. Might be one of the few movies I wished was longer.

Tyler Perry seems out of his depth as an action hero. His ideal roles are more intellectual. Matthew Fox is great as the killer though. No real stand-out performances among the supporting cast.

Silly, Cheesy and Nothing new

Author: Floated2
19 December 2013

As someone who has not read any of the novels, and had not known much about the character or of it's plot, I still found Alex Cross to be subpar. Alex Cross played itself as a brainless and not too interesting thriller with several cheesy moments and silly dialogue. From the beginning, the way Picasso (Matthew Fox) was introduced was hard to believe. His character came down to an MMA sporting event, simply hands one of the mangers money then is put up to fight an opponent in a matter of minutes. Although Picasso was the best part of the film and Matthew Fox played his character great at points but it wasn't enough to save the film.

Tyler Perry did a decent job as the serious lead of Alex Cross, but having not read the novels, I am not aware of how the character was supposed to act. I did enjoy some of the action scenes including Picasso. "Alex Cross" plays itself as the typical film where the villain and lead first make their encounter, then the villain continuously stalks the lead wanting something of his, the lead being scared and having to to avoid it, and up to the end the lead takes his revenge and eventually kills the villain. There was some violence towards women in the film specifically where Picasso kills Alex Cross's wife (whom was months due pregnant), which was a cheap shot for a "professional" villain in which it happened. This is where and why Alex Cross goes after Picasso, as it does make sense but it could have been done different as we have seen many revenge seeking films before.

Like many of these type of films, it suffers from an interesting plot, though it does have some okay scenes but it isn't enough to keep those truly entertained to not notice its flaws. I also didn't find much of the chemistry between Tyler Perry and Edward Burns. "Alex Cross" simply felt cheesy and could have been done with another lead and a far better script, with re writes.

Cross of the list

Author: Prismark10 from United Kingdom
13 October 2013

I have never seen the Madea films so this is the first time I have seen Tyler Perry in action. As Alex Cross he is stepping into the shoes of Morgan Freeman in this reboot. Well Freeman is a hard act to follow although I am unsure as to who Perry's Cross is by the end of the film.

The main star of the film is actually Matthew Fox as the hired killer Picasso. He buffed himself up and lost a lot of weight as the callous and amoral killer.

The biggest problem with the film is the screenplay. It has more holes than Swiss cheese. It means the performers are actually hampered with nonsensical flaws.

At the beginning Fox in a suit pays someone to get involved in a MMA fight. The spectators laugh at him even though when he takes his shirt off he has ripped muscles and tattoos. Even his opponent a seasoned fighter does not twig this guy is a ringer and gets paralysed. His performance is so impressive that an Oriental woman at the fight takes a shine to him, takes him to her home and gets involved in bondage with dire results.

Yet at the end of the film we have a prospect of Perry (a slightly overweight actor best known for appearing in drag) going one on one with Fox even though we have seen at the beginning of the film what he did to the MMA fighter!

In between this Fox who is a gun for hire seemingly gets personal for no reason other than getting shot by the police who are actually just doing their job and takes a detour by going after Perry and his comrades.

Not to forget that one of Fox's hit depends on split second timing depending on a train being on a certain position whilst at the same time his intended victims just arriving somewhere else. How he has planned all this when he is busy going after Perry and co makes the mind boggle.

Also Jean Reno the guy who played the treacherous agent in the first Mission Impossible turns up for a few minutes as the main chief executive of a corporation whose employees are being targeted by the assassin and who is the ultimate target. I wonder who the actual mastermind will be!

This is not to say that its all daftly entertaining. Its just that this is a different Alex Cross as portrayed by Morgan Freeman. We are told Cross is clever and he has his 'Sherlock Holmes' moment at the beginning but very little as to how he arrives with his conclusions.

Its a mash up of an action film and something cerebral. It passes away the time but I doubt this will be a successful rebooted franchise.

Thrill, suspense, emotion and action.

Author: Sayasam from France
6 October 2013

This movie is a great one.

I understand some people may not like it as it's not "Hollywood classic style".

It's still very enjoyable to watch though.

Watch it if you like action films with lot of suspense.

It's a very nice story, with ups and downs, an epic manhunt with a psychopath... Wonderful.

It also contain emotion, since some of the main characters are killed.

But the main interest of this movie is the chase.

Very nice movie.

Tyler Perry inferior/Matthew Fox superior

Author: SnoopyStyle
29 August 2013

Tyler Perry is taking over Morgan Freeman as the fictional doctor/police detective. Morgan had played him in the previous two installments of the series, Kiss the girls and Along Came a Spider. Sadly Tyler Perry is an inferior lead.

This time Alex Cross is confronting an assassin played by Matthew Fox who is taking on a rich and powerful business. Matthew is looking completely different here. He is gaunt and unlike any of the warm-hearted nice guys he usually plays.

There is a nice tight thriller here. Tyler Perry doesn't help. But he's not so bad as to break it. He is somewhat stiff and a little clunky. He doesn't have the gravitas of Morgan Freeman. But it's also too easy to demean him.

dumb film

Author: antoniotierno from Italy
26 July 2013

The greatest problem in this movie is how it's been conceived, with the whole plot seeming extremely unlikely. Nothing about this thriller is thrilling, everything's clichéd and quite tedious. Furthermore much of the dialogue feels forced as blatant exposition is placed throughout normal conversations. Even when the movie (rarely) surprises the audience the script offers very little. When you think the movie has manipulated you into trying to care about these characters, all of a sudden it reveals an unnecessary. "Alex Cross" tries to be a grand thriller but fails on nearly every level. It's the script and the plot making this Cross unbearable.

Simply the wrong combination of actors and director

Author: game-editor
27 March 2013

Let's start off with the director. I don't dislike Rob Cohen. Many people believe that "XXX: State of the union" was a flop because of him. However, I think he was walking into a bad one to start with. Knight Rider was iffy at best. Honestly, the last movie that he was involved in that I would give a couple of thumbs up to would be Running Man. Still a classic. Being handed a gauntlet as big as the Alex Cross books is not an easy thing to hold on to. The books were amazing, but we have seen that they can be converted into great movies simply by watching "Along Came a Spider" and "Kiss the Girls". I feel that he most likely over directed the movie. The characters were too boxed in. The lines, facial expressions and body motions looked choppy and uncomfortable. However, was this his fault? Not necessarily. The actors in the movie were simply incorrect for it. First of all, I cannot classify Tyler Perry as a top of the line actor, but he is not horrible. He has been in some good movies and has had me rolling on the floor a couple of times. Not only was he working out of his comfort zone (very noticeably so), but he was following the work of... wait for it... MORGAN EFFING FREEMAN. Not many can follow that. I think the most over directed person was probably Matthew Fox. The character he played made no sense. His actions and personality did not in any way shape or form link up with the books. The facial expressions and movements looked like they would work in a video game, but definitely not in a movie. We have seen him play a character with this type of background, so it could not be all his fault. I cannot describe what is wrong with Nana Mama in this movie. She showed none of the characteristics from the books that made me fall for the character. She acted almost as psychotic as the assassin. Fudged story line, over directing, character mismatches, failed relationship connections, on and on and on.

Not Bad, But Not Good Enough To Make Me Want To See More Of The Character

Author: sddavis63 (revsdd@gmail.com) from Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada
22 February 2013

I'm not a big Tyler Perry fan, and in portraying Alex Cross he was stepping into some pretty big shoes, since the character had been twice played by Morgan Freeman (In Along Came A Spider and Kiss The Girls) - who I do like. So my expectation weren't exactly at a premium coming in. As far as Perry was concerned, I'd say he was all right in the role. He was nothing special; he wasn't Morgan Freeman. But he was all right. He had his own unique take on the character. Alex Cross in this movie is rougher, coarser, more violent - but just as cerebral in his own way. That evolution of the character was undoubtedly to allow this to take on more of an action feel, and it was fuelled by the plot device of having Cross's wife killed off by the serial killer he's trying to find. So for at least half of this movie, Cross is less the psychologist/detective and more the grieving husband seeking vengeance against his wife's killer. Honestly, it made the character somewhat less noble, and it made the movie somewhat over the top at times.

One thing that was definitely needed was a little better explanation of the serial killer and his motives - and of the motives of the guy who hired him. Another thing that would have helped would have been a bit more passion or energy in the performances. No one (including Perry) really stood out in this and took hold of the movie. I also wasn't clear on the need to kill off Monica (Rachel Nichols) - Cross's colleague. She was involved with Cross's other partner Kane (Edward Burns) but killing her off at virtually the same time Cross's wife was killed made her death fade away into the background a bit and we never really thought about it all that much.

However, there were some things that worked well. There were a few "cover your eyes" moments at the beginning, as the torture of the first victim was portrayed. The killing of Cross's wife (although it seemed, as I said, contrived more as a way of evolving the character than an integral and necessary part of the film) certainly brought some emotional reactions forth, and the final confrontation between Cross and the killer was pretty well done.

I wouldn't call this a failure. It's received some pretty bad reviews. I'm going to rate it as a 6/10, but I don't think it was good enough to result in any ongoing Alex Cross movies, if that was the intention of the producers.

Action Packed, but just not the Alex Cross thriller of old.

Author: JohnRayPeterson from Montreal, Canada
20 February 2013

The principal character still bears the famous name of James Patterson's 20 novels series (20 as of early 2013) but unlike the previous two movies 'Kiss The Girls' and 'Along Came a Spider', based respectively on the second and first novels (1st movie based on the 2nd novel and 2nd movie on the 1st novel), the actor Morgan Freeman has been replaced by Tyler Perry. Perry has not been pretentious about the switch and had only praise for Freeman; he brings with him some fresh characteristics to the character, which director Rob Cohen may well have wanted to use for a more action based storyline, as opposed to the more suspense and thriller mood the Gary Fleder and Lee Tamahori directed versions are recognized for. This latest movie instalment is based on the novel named 'Cross', the 12th in the series.

Needless to say, the reception by critics and audience alike has not been warm, given the success of the previous two and mostly because of the departure from the thriller base, to the more action based plot. That's not to say that all three did not have both action and suspense elements, because they do, but on screen, the latest instalment tips the balance in the other direction. The books don't, then again there's the development of Cross' character in the ten novels between 'Cross' and 'Kiss The Girls'. Perusing the comments from critics and other users, it would seem that Freeman's depiction of a forensic psychologist was so much more believable than that of Perry's. In the series, there is of course consistencies and circumstances that would have benefited an actor whose age and range would have been better suited than who was picked for all three movies so far. What I mean is that the Cross character in the first two movies, as successful as he was, did not depict the physical traits of the written character of the books nor does now the one depicted by Perry. In any event, it's unlikely producers of the movies have the means or luck to find actors that can, over a long period, sustain the novel series character depiction with consistencies; they adapt, always, and results are whatever those will be. We know already that the 13th novel will be put to screen and that Perry will reprise the role, building no doubt on the previous one. It may very well have better success under those set of circumstances. I believe this should prove to be the case.

I don't rate 'Alex Cross 2012' as highly as I had 'Kiss The Girls', but I found more to like in the latest than have the critics and audience. If you can view and consider 'Alex Cross 2012' on its own merit, and that appears to be difficult for many, you may rate it better than it has been. The critics could not find that objectivity, try as they might. Also influences against Perry, are the roles he played as Big Mama; that had to be a very big hurdle to overcome. I was able to disassociate Perry as Big Mama as did not see those films and have no intentions of ever doing so.

I liked Edward Burns's portrayal of Thomas Kane; he's not done any second banana role performances in all the movies I've seen with him in such roles. He added credibility to this movie and so did Jean Reno, a favorite of mine. I was delighted by the excellent performance of Matthew Fox in the role of bad guy extreme, Picasso.

I believe in time and with the upcoming "Double Cross" sequel, the 2012 film may pick up some popularity and the negatives currently in play will slowly dissipate, allowing the new Cross to find his way in the midst of movie hero worth a view.

Deleted scenes would improve movie

Author: Atlvid from United States
19 June 2013

The DVD deleted scene with Cross figuring out the height & weight of the villain would have gone a long way to giving credibility to the character - rather than thinking he knew every thing just because he read the script. The other deleted scenes also added more to the story. Matthew Fox's transformation from his Lost character to Picasso was amazing. Switching from a good cop to bad cop seemed arbitrary and way over done. The director seemed to just go through the motions without regard for how the story would be viewed. Parts of his DVD commentary regarding current politicians and how he avoided taxes were pathetic and should have been excised by the producers.

Oh hey... A Tyler Perry movie I could sit through

Author: tiericafe from Australia
1 May 2013

Tyler Perry's, Alex Cross, wasn't even that bad considering the other movies he's made. So basically the movie was very average and the only thing holding it together was Matthew Fox's role. Typically, it starts off with the usual cliché 'save the day' scenario where Perry''s character, the Almighty Detective Alex Cross, catches yet another bad guy. After this ever so tiresome day of ridding the city from evil its clear his life is going smoothly; receiving news of his unborn child and a promising job opportunity at the FBI, what could possibly go awry? Cue in Mr. Fox. Matthew Fox is incredibly believable in his role as Picassso, a psychotic killer using unthinkable methods to torture his victims. His presence in the film was riveting which had you rooting for him rather than the police achieving justice. The movie in my opinion is a 5. When Cross' wife is shot by Picasso it is emphasized in the film with the scene of the death and funeral however when one of his fellow police mates are tortured and killed by Picasso its like no one cared. The movie probably mentioned it in two lines and that was it. It was if it was swept underneath the rug. So unrealistic. And the fact that Cross predicted the arrival of Picasso two seconds before he actually arrived in the last scene made me roll my eyes so hard I was borderline having a stroke. If I was deducting points from this movie for all the loose ends and its unrealistic nature, the score would be non existent. So I now present this film with 4 points for Matthew Fox's great achievement in portraying a crazy bug eyed killer and 1 point for Tyler Perry actually hiring Matthew Fox. Kudos Tyler Perry! At least you got something right.

Cross it out

Author: TomMix86 from United Kingdom
5 March 2013

You may think it wouldn't be possible to disgrace an author who cranks out seven or more novels a year, but ALEX CROSS may just about manage it.

I have read a number of James Patterson's Cross novels, including CROSS (ostensibly the source material for this film). I would not work hard to defend their literary value, but they are very entertaining, and they certainly have the potential to be the basis for a solid series of movies. In a world where EON productions are gearing up for their 24th James Bond movie, there is no reason there couldn't be a string of decent Alex Cross movies; looks like that isn't going to happen anytime soon though.

The Alex Cross character previously appeared on screen in KISS THE GIRLS and ALONG CAME A SPIDER, where the character was played by Morgan Freeman. Given that Cross is written as a bulky, handsome, imposing man in his early 40s, Freeman was in some ways a curious casting choice. Still he has the gravitas, screen presence and charisma to pull audiences through these sometimes convoluted plots, which is more than can be said for Tyler Perry.

Perry was clearly cast because of his strong box-office track record with a loyal audience; however Perry is almost completely unknown to audiences outside the US, and even domestically his figures have been in decline (this followed suit). To be fair, Perry is just about passable in the role. He's wooden, and conveys neither the intelligence or belligerence needed to successfully bring the character (at least as written for this film) to life, but he's far from the film's biggest problem.

CROSS was a good choice of adaptation for "rebooting" the series on screen, with some nods towards an origin for the character and a strong story of a personal mission for the main character. The novel took place over a time-span of over a decade, the film condenses the events to a year or less, which was a good move. Unlike the Freeman films, ALEX CROSS does showcase Cross' home and family life, which some Patterson devotees may appreciate. On the whole however, the film is a very loose adaptation of the novel, which is fine. At least, it would be. Unfortunately, the script (co-written, oddly enough, by Marc Moss, whose only other screen credit is ALONG CAME A SPIDER), doesn't come up with anything fresh or interesting. Patterson is not the most original writer, but this film stoops to clichés that even he (to my knowledge) wisely avoids; fellow cops with clandestine relationships etc. The movie descends into generic revenge pabulum with debilitating ease, when it aspires to be a suspenseful psychological thriller. Cross here seems less a gifted, intellectual criminal psychologist, more a man blessed with psychic powers and the occasional premonition.

In the 90s, director Rob Cohen was a competent journeyman making adult potboilers, including DAYLIGHT and a TV Movie Rat Pack biopic. Suddenly, in the early 00s (his early fifties) he tried to convince the world he was a teenager with THE FAST AND THE FURIOUS and xXx, and seemed to succeed. He likes things which makes no sense but seems cool, which is OK, as most of the world does too, but water-pressure alarms and security doors which don't open from the inside are unlikely to attract the kind of audience enthusiasm that drag racing and extreme sports did a decade ago.

To his credit, Cohen has become a fairly distinctive director, and this movie has a similar feel to much of his other work. Unfortunately, his style is not appropriate for the material, and unctuous fake European accents are not necessarily the best directorial trademarks either. He has little skill with narrative, and one scene cuts to the next with no rhythm, generating little interest. The climactic fight scene is, even by recent standards, excessively incoherent and unexciting.

As it happens, where the movie does succeed is also where Patterson's writing is generally the strongest; the villain. Matthew Fox gives a very memorable performance as a fairly intriguing character. Unfortunately, he doesn't get enough screen time to get the film up to a passing grade, perhaps held back, as much is, by the PG-13 rating.

Though messy and a little silly KISS THE GIRLS was a fairly savvy adaptation and a far more intriguing and cinematic viewing experience. ALONG CAME A SPIDER was absurd and squandered much of the potential of its namesake, but it was slick, lively entertainment with welcome touches of arch humour, and was clearly the work of a gifted director. Perhaps neither were films for the ages, but while watching ALEX CROSS you find yourself pining for them.

A Bore.

Author: Convictions from United States
26 February 2013

Usually when movies get panned, I avoid them. However, once in a while my curiosity gets the better of me and I can't resist. I probably should have skipped this one, I never read the books but, I'm going to go out on limb here and say that the book or books did not transition well to the big screen. Yes that was sarcasm. I'm sure the books are an exciting and an engrossing read, but here, the exact opposite comes to mind when describing this movie. It's a complete bore and sitting through this is a chore. It borders on unwatchable and though it might not have been 2012's worst it's certainly close to the top.

I'll do the best I can to remember everything but, not even 16 hours after viewing this, it's been corroding from my mind fast. That should give you a hint on just how memorable this cinematic dump is. The only reason why I'm giving it a 2 is because of Matthew fox. He got himself into shape and prepared himself for this role, and it shows. Even though his character may have been scribbled in with a crayon,(let's face it, his character is about as one-dimensional as a cardboard cut-out, same goes for the rest of the cast) his loony, over-the-top performance is the only thing that kept me awake from slipping into a coma. As for everything else, I'm at a loss for words.

From the guy who directed The Fast and the Furious and xXx, I was at least expecting some exciting well-shot fighting scenes but, we can't get what we always want. The very few actions scenes are boring and nausea-inducing, especially the climatic fight scene. Why director Rob Cohen decided to shake the camera so much? I don't know, the two films I mentioned showcase that he's a competent action director, whatever the excuse was it doesn't matter, this is just lazy.

With the exception of Fox, the cast is dull. Though, I'm not sure the cast it completely at fault, they're not given much to do. Perry is miscast here, he has the chops but, there are better suited roles out there within his range. When he's required to show emotion he's good but, when he's required to do action he doesn't fit in well. The rest of the cast is bland and unmemorable, they all seem like they don't want to be here and I don't blame them. I'm sure they at least got nice paychecks.

I'm going to on a little tangent about the MPAA, so skip to the next paragraph if you'd like. I don't understand how something like this could get a PG-13 rating and then another movie who uses the "F" word a couple of times get an R. I would rather let a 13 year old watch something that's R because it has the "F" word a couple of times in it than letting them watch this. I'd say see this for yourself, but then that would mean you would actually have to watch this garbage. So I'll give you a few examples instead. This doesn't spoil anything but, I can't imagine why anyone would care anyway. There is one scene where we're shown a woman getting her fingers cut off, sure it's brief but, we see the whole thing. Then there's a legitimate sex scene, and I'm not talking about the brief PG-13 ones I'm talking about an actual sex scene. These are only a few examples as there are more but, that would give away something. I'm done now, time to continue....

Like the ending of this movie, I'm going to rush things here because thinking about this movie is giving me a migraine. The pacing is uneven, we're given slow set-up then the movie keeps shifting, rushing things here and there, slowing down things here and there, this is an on-going process and by the end I found myself wanting to grind my face against a cheese grater. The characters are all underdeveloped, thanks to the lazy script, I didn't care about anyone. This movie clocks in at 100 minutes yet, it felt like I was watching Titanic again. It seemed like this movie would never end.

Overall, don't even bother wasting your time. The acting is dull, the character's are cardboard cut-outs, the direction is horrible especially during the climatic fight scene, the script is lazy, and the pacing is widely uneven. There is nothing good here, except Matthew Fox, but it's still no where enough to recommend this on any level. How this movie made it to theaters is one mystery I'd like to solve.

Poor effort all around

Author: Bryne Zuege (byrntzuga) from Northern Colorado
12 February 2013

Watched this movie last night and I have to say I was quite disappointed. The story was OK and the cinematography was good. The acting, however, was quite horrid. Ed Burns mailed in the worst performance I have ever seen him produce. Never once was I convinced that he had anything but a "little chip" of an involvement with the female partner. Nothing showed the possible love that the scripted words professed. I won't beat the dead horse about the comparisons of Tyler Perry to Morgan Freeman. There were flashes of what could have been a compelling portrait of a character, such in his interaction with his wife. The overall effect of this portrayal though was disjointed and shallow. And none of the female roles had any substance. Even the great Cicely Tyson was watered down and washed out. Disappointing.

Disappointment

Author: Jay Schwenk from South Africa
12 February 2013

First off I have to say the movie was not what I expected. If you are a big Tyler Perry fan then you may enjoy it more than most action/thriller fanatics. I for one was very disappointed when i watched the movie. Unfortunately i have read the complete Alex Cross series written by James Patterson and I have also watched the two previous movies with Morgan Freeman. This made my expectations high as I was looking forward to a new look into the "world of Alex Cross".

The story line is a complete mix up and the details are so far off from the original stories it actually feels as though the writer of this script thought that James Patterson's work was not up to a level that could be appreciated. Having said that there are a few parts in the movie that are good though, the acting of the criminal is something that does meet the same level as imagined when you read one of the novels. I guess it is all down to personal preference but I did not enjoy this as much as i thought i would. If they had a whole new story line with a new serial killer but kept the facts from the books it might have been better.

The Vidiot Reviews

Author: capone666 from Canada
7 February 2013

Alex Cross

The difficult part to being a psychologist/police officer is deciding if you should bill your client for time spent beating them with a phone book.

Sadly, the shielded shrink in this crime-thriller does not expound on his invoicing practices.

Detroit police lieutenant Dr. Alex Cross (Tyler Perry) and his partner Tommy (Edward Burns) are called to a crime scene where a businesswoman (Stephanie Jacobsen) was brutally murdered.

Following a clue left by the artistic assassin dubbed Picasso (Matthew Fox), Cross sets a trap at his next hit.

After Picasso eludes capture, Cross deduces that his true target is a billionaire (Jean Reno).

Angered by the detective's constant meddling, Picasso focuses his crosshairs on Cross' wife.

Full of retributive violence but low on tangible mystery, this adaptation of the popular literary character lacks a suspenseful script and a believable lead.

Besides, psychologist cops blame every murder on the killer's mother.

Red Light

vidiotreviews.blogspot.ca

Silly, poorly made mess that misses its mark

Author: Robert W. (Robert_duder@hotmail.com) from Ontario, Canada
1 February 2013

I had heard a lot of people say how bad Alex Cross was but I wanted to hold out and see for myself. I have read one Alex Cross book but never more than that so I was going in mostly blind to the character and the book series. To say the film was a mess is an understatement. Its hard to say exactly where the film goes wrong but bad casting, bad acting, bad music, horrible direction and horrible editing just to name a few of the main points that derails this film. I don't usually comment on the intricacies of the actual film making but the editing was simply awful. The sound and music for the film goes up and down throughout. Sometimes the music is so loud you can hardly hear what's going on and sometimes the dialogue is so low you can't even hear it. That can be a good thing considering how poorly delivered many of the lines are. The plot holes are so gapingly large that you can fire a rocket through them. There are only a few little saving graces that save this from being a complete and utter disaster. Some of the action scenes are relatively entertaining and watchable. Matthew Fox as the villain is actually almost stunning, and the production values on the special effects are very good. But that's about where the impressiveness ends.

I heard a lot of people complain about Tyler Perry being cast as Alex Cross. I thought he could pull it off because he is a very talented and versatile actor. I was wrong. He brings no depth to the character at all and is so stereotypical that it makes you want to yawn. The scenes with emotion he over-delivers and comes across as cheesy. The character was also written very quickly so that you understand how "brilliant" he is and this comes across as pompous and annoying. He was poorly cast, no doubt about it. Edward Burns plays Cross' partner. He is written as some sort of dumb, fast talking, one liner sidekick. Its really unfortunate. The chemistry between Perry and Burns is non-existent and yet we're supposed to believe they are lifelong friends. Jean Reno makes some sort of cameo as a villain of sorts but the story around his character is so convoluted and makes very little sense that he is lost in the shuffle. I'm not even sure why he would do this. And then there is Matthew Fox who literally is the only actor that makes this worthwhile. In fact, he steals the show. His twisted, sadistic, tortured villain is a thousand times better than this film. His twitching, facial expressions, line delivery...all first rate. I don't know if I have ever seen anyone give a 10/10 performance in a 4/10 movie but Fox does it flawlessly. What a total waste of a great performance and character. However, if you're going to see this...see it for Matthew Fox.

The last thing an Alex Cross movie should be is campy. And yet the script for this and the performances are extremely campy. When watching, check out the expressions on some of the officer extras around them. Its beyond bad, like awful. With some really good action scenes there should have been some really tense moments but all of that is completely lost with bad directing and even worse editing. The fights often look low budget and cheesy like watching a WWE wrestling match. I am truly surprised that director Rob Cohen who has helmed some very good action flicks let this slip into such a bad area. Perhaps it was just the chemistry or a badly edited script but however you shake it...they screwed up Alex Cross badly. James Patterson fans may find themselves waiting a very, very long time before this gets rebooted. Until then we have the HUGELY superior Morgan Freeman films which were better in every aspect. Skip this one or watch it for Matthew Fox. 4/10

so many things done poorly

Author: a_m_jensen from Denmark
8 December 2012

I was looking forward to this movie, since I thought this would be more true to the books than the ones with Morgan Freeman. I was mistaken...

Our bad guy was a surprise, having only seen Fox as the doctor on Lost I enjoyed his over the top performance as a real psycho. He was pretty much the only thing I liked.

I love Jean Reno, and try to watch everything with him, but he was wasted on this movie, This role could have been filled with a nobody and it wouldn't have changed anything.

We know the actors can act, and the director can direct, so why are we left with a movie with bland acting and characters we care little about. It even seems that the characters don't even care about what happens to each other.

This movie should win an award for irritating camera-work. The climax was so shaky I wished I could skip it. Can only imagine how sick I would be if I had been drinking before seeing it.

It is far from the worst movie I have seen, and would probably have seen it no matter the reviews, and a lot of you probably feel the same way, but please don't set your expectations high since this is not a very good movie.

Even with a number of clever set pieces demanding tension and spectacle, 'Alex Cross' still fires blanks.

Author: Jordan Hunt (mailjordanhunt@gmail.com) from United Kingdom
7 December 2012

Adapted from the acclaimed James Patterson novels, the film adaptation of 'Alex Cross' is a mixed bag, worth watching for several notable features which can do nothing but fail to salvage the whole affair.

A painfully miscast Tyler Perry receives top billing as a rogue detective facing off against a threatening antagonist played excellently by 'LOST' alum Matthew Fox, who brings an unsettling edge to his character, exploring his motivations where the bland screenplay dares not. Equally complacent is Rob Cohen's direction, which reduces film's technical and artistic merit to that of a television serial. This isn't improved on by an attempt to emphasise characters that, at the same time, are being drawn with a comic edge that negates the serious tone.

With Patterson likely responsible for any ingenuity plot wise, the writers and producers at least owed the material a thrilling big screen adaptation. Yet even with a number of clever set pieces demanding tension and spectacle, 'Alex Cross' still fires blanks.

Patterson oh Patterson

Author: Gordon Brown from United Kingdom
8 December 2012

I was really looking forward to this movie after having read many of the books written by Patterson and I must say my eagerness to watch it as soon as it was released maybe makes my review a little more negative than it would have been if i did not know and understand the character Alex cross, one can never compare a book to the movie, but the basic building blocks of a story must remain intact for it to be at least partially successful.

I can not see any of the Patterson magic in this movie, to be honest it is one of those movies that will go down in history as being overrated and misunderstood by both actors and the director. The Alex cross from the books is nowhere to be seen, there is too much of the "leave it up to the audience to decipher his inner thoughts" and this lets it down.

Hopefully anyone looking at the director and editors of this, to do work in the future will look at this and decide that maybe taking a chance on some college graduates would be a safer bet.

ending and lead actor!!! spoilers to some degree.

Author: redsaoe from United Kingdom
8 December 2012

Matthew Fox was a main reason why I think it's worth seeing the film. He's acting was perfect. Tyler Perry was on the other hand something I would skip forward if I had remote in my hand. Not sure who chose him as a main star of the film. It was almost annoying to watch him act. They made him the chosen one of the unit. It was getting really silly sometimes whole team was depending on him. Edward Burns role was bad as well, not that he is bad actor he did what he could with the poor script and role of a useless cop who always ask what to do "Dr.Alex" And can't start his relationships without Alex all mighty approval. Like please.. He is your partner not a father.

Ending was terrible if it would ended with cliff hanger or assassin running away I would give the movie hire score and would recommend my friends to see it. Last fight was terrible and doesn't make any sense. The assassin was train and skilled MMA fighter which were shown in the beginning of the film. And Dr.overweight fried chicken Alex could keep up with him and even overpower him many times. It made me angry since I practiced MMA for 2 years. Many good actors but I would rather hire one less and pay someone better to be the main detective. Yes if not for the ending or perhaps main actor I would really enjoy it more. Now how can I get a refund!?

Casey's Movie Mania: ALEX CROSS (2012)

Author: caseymoviemania from Malaysia
4 December 2012

Before I go straight with the review, picture this: Tyler Perry, who made a fortune playing a cross-dressing, gun-toting mama in the lucrative MADEA series, tries to reinvent himself into a different actor. An action star, to be exact. For those who have seen his MADEA series before, some of you might be thinking: seriously? Frankly, an actor who is primarily known in comedy genre can make a smooth transition as an action star. Take Bruce Willis, for instance, who had successfully became an action icon when he did DIE HARD back in 1988 after a short stint in TV's Moonlighting. Unfortunately, Tyler Perry looks uncomfortable playing his first action-oriented role in ALEX CROSS -- a loose prequel to 1997's KISS THE GIRLS and 2001's ALONG CAME A SPIDER (both starred Morgan Freeman). Shame about the movie as well, which is nothing more than a clunky and haphazard thriller.

Long before we get to know the older Alex Cross (Morgan Freeman) as a brilliant FBI agent in KISS THE GIRLS and ALONG CAME A SPIDER, we are introduced to a younger version (Tyler Perry), who first working as a Detroit-based police detective. Cross and his team -- partner and best friend Tommy Kane (Edward Burns) and beautiful rookie Monica Ashe (Rachel Nichols) -- are called in by police chief Richard Brookwell (John C. McGinley) after a wealthy woman named Fan Yau (Stephanie Jacobsen) and her bodyguards are found brutally massacred in her Detroit mansion. Apparently it was done by a psychotic killer nicknamed Picasso (Matthew Fox), who is actually targeting the city's wealthy elite and slowly made his way up to Leon Mercier (Jean Reno), an oily French business tycoon with plans for reinventing Detroit city. Things goes out of hand when the killer himself starts messing around with Cross, killing one of his teams as well as one of his family members. Devastated, Cross turns the case into a personal vendetta to seek vengeance against Picasso.

Marc Moss and Kerry Williamson's screenplay is strictly by-the-numbers, and everything here plays out like a typical serial-killer thriller you used to watch during the 1990s heyday. Actually, there's nothing wrong being nostalgic here but it's a shame that the story is unimaginative and lackluster. Even veteran action director Rob Cohen (THE FAST AND THE FURIOUS, xXx) is out of his element here. The action (which often his forte) is disappointingly shot with shaky-cam and one particular climactic fight set-piece between Cross and Picasso is so incomprehensibly shaky it's impossible to figure out what's really going on.

As mentioned earlier, Tyler Perry is out of depth here. It's actually good to see him venturing out something different, but it turns out the actor's range is more limited than expected. As awkward as he looks playing an action role, he remains comfortably at ease whenever the scenes involve him with his wife and his family. Both Edward Burns and Rachel Nichols are nothing more than showing up in thankless roles, while Jean Reno (looking really old) is just as forgettable. Matthew Fox, who lost a huge amount of weight to look scarily skinny, is suitably cast as a sadistic psychopath. Too bad his character is given little room for development.

ALEX CROSS is actually meant to jump-start a new franchise based on James Patterson's crime novels, but this prequel itself is already a failure. So much for the anticipation.

Alex Cross Review

Author: mozoloman from Johannesburg
12 November 2012

I went for a month of no movies just hoping and waiting that something spectacular would come along, no such luck I'm afraid. When I saw Perry on the poster I didn't know what to expect so I went in there really action desperate- disappointed. So here it goes.

Cross didn't bother itself with crossing the line it played it safe and we all know that safe is boring. My mistake, safe is just plain old desperation to gross. Firstly the name is dull for an action film, secondly the storyline lacks a background that's compelling enough to want to see it again. After all the trouble that he went through turns out the villain is not the real bad guy, and the bad guy "is clean." I absolutely hate such films they make you feel naive, and we see Hollywood doing this all the damn time. Mr.Assassin kills people and we don't know why plus he loves doing it.

Cross' wife takes a bullet while pregnant very clever let's give the hero motivation to hunt down 'o mr.Assassin, because wasn't already on the case? Everything about this film is too predictable.

Why i give it 2 instead of 1?

Author: Ricardo Pinheiro (ricardo-pinheiro@live.com.pt) from Lisbon
29 December 2012

This flick should only receive 1, but then there is Matthew Fox, with a good performing, and i have to give it 2. The rest is simply awful. The story it's good. A nice idea for a film, but the script ruins it. The performance from Mr. Perry its pretty disgusting. I don't know where to start. I could talk about the poor soundtrack, the scenes without any meaning or continuity for the story, the stupid details emerging all over the film, but i will summit it all with this: In the beginning of the movie we see 2 characters: the daughter and the mother of Perry's character. Roughly one hour later, (spoiler) at the Perry character wife funeral, we see those 2 characters again... with the exactly same clothes as before! OMG! Even the f******* wardrobe was wrong! Everything is wrong! Except the bad guy, Fox's character. What a shame. A good director, good screen writing and specially, good actors could turn this originally good idea in a good movie, instead of crap.

Alex Cross (2012) - Madea is the New Morgan Freeman? Seriously?

Author: nickmesafilms (nickmesafilms@yahoo.com) from United States
21 December 2012

From director Rob Cohen, a guy whom has been known for making a string of mediocre action movies, "Alex Cross" is the third film appearance of, you guessed it, Alex Cross, who is known as the main character in James Patterson's series of crime novels. At a pace of 101-minutes, Tyler Perry stars as the title character, a psychological police detective who can tell what happened in a crime, when did it happen, why did it happen, or how did it happen. Now, he must try to take down a psychopathic assassin, played by Matthew Fox, sadly following the tired and formulaic cop story. Not only unoriginal and predictable, but also painful and uncomfortable to sit through, "Alex Cross" is one of the very worst movies of the whole year. Although Tyler Perry is really trying his best to make something good out of this tired material, he sadly fails to bring a lot of charm to a character that was once portrayed by Morgan Freeman, and he sadly felt miscast-ed. Nothing god-awful or anything, I just can't take Tyler Perry seriously in a dramatic role, since all he does in his career is be in drag the whole time as Madea. But, hey, at least he tried! But, don't even get me started on Matthew Fox. Although he's a very talented actor and also tries hard in this film, he tries way too hard, going way over-the-top, in one of the most unintentionally laughable performances of the whole year. Edward Burns, Rachel Wilson, Cicely Tyson, Jean Reno, and Giancarlo Esposito, all star in the supporting cast, given literally nothing to say or do than just read lines from such a horrendous script. Luckily most of these actors have higher talent than these writers, and they are really trying their best. Sappy and melodramatic moments, childish writing, over-the-top performances, and unoriginal story might have been enough, but the main problem of the whole movie involves all the action scenes, provided by director Rob Cohen and the cinematographer. Horribly directed and filmed, the action scenes left me uninterested, but most of all, it gave my brain a major meltdown. Delivered with some of the worst use of shaky-cam, it feels more like the camera-man is literally shaking the camera back and forth, which I bet actually happened. The scenes are all over the place, totally inconsistent, and Rob Cohen should stop making action movies! Generic, bland, inconsistent, sappy, over-the-top, and annoying are the perfect verbs, nouns, or adjectives to describe my hate for this film. But, if I had to correct anything to make this a good movie, I would have casted Idris Elba as Alex Cross, have very talented writers known for making very good cop movies, and a director who takes these films very seriously. Sadly, this movie doesn't give us any of that. "Alex Cross", in my review, "waste of potential, formulaic and indulgent".

Cross? You will be...

Author: Tony Bush from United Kingdom
14 December 2012

Last time I saw the titular character on screen he was played as a more cerebral type of detective by Morgan Freeman. Freeman is an actor who has an effortless natural cool and gravitas, a crumpled sort of chic dignity, careworn and human. He can manage sharp and business-like, thoughtful and compassionate, passive and aggressive, by turns and make them all convincing components of the same character. This is because first and foremost he is a character actor.

Tyler Perry plays Alex Cross in this film and his incarnation is more of an action hero type. A physically chunky gun-toting ass-kicker who fancies himself as a profiling modern day Sherlock Holmes hunting down the bad guys. I don't know what the character of the books is like, having never read them, but I do know that Perry ain't no Morgan Freeman and that this Alex Cross is a one-dimensional shop window dummy with all the personality of a paper plate.

He's not alone here, though, because all of the characters run on rails like bland cardboard cut-outs wheeling through a CGI shooting gallery. None are particularly engaging or resonate on any meaningful emotional level and I didn't really care about the fate of any of them.

The film is a brash and crass churn through a dumb and irrational narrative that fails to sustain much interest after the first twenty minutes or so. There are some moments of jaw-dropping unintentional comedy. My favourite is when Cross employs his Sherlock Holmesian deductive techniques on his wife. It was almost like something out of THE NAKED GUN. To paraphrase:

"I deduce you have been for coffee."

Wife looks astonished at the sheer brilliance of his investigative prowess.

"Judging by the froth on your blouse, I can conclude it was a latte!"

Cut to wife and huge stain on her blouse that looks like half a pint of Camel slobber.

Wife is sooooo impressed that her husband is sooooo smart. Gazes at him with awestruck adoration

She's pregnant. She gets killed soon. That get's Alex cross and so it's time for a little revenge-seeking.

The story is something about a sociopathic assassin (are there any other kind?) bumping off foreign corporate types. He turns his attention to Cross and his team when they thwart one of his attempted hits. Much else I can't relate because I had tuned-out and was just waiting for it to run its course. I'd paid to see it so I was going to hang on in there till the bitter end.

If you are expecting something of the calibre of KISS THE GIRLS or ALONG CAME A SPIDER then don't. This isn't in the same league. Cross this one off your list.

Tyler Perry is NO actor and this was a pitiful farce

Author: flakfan from face of the earth
15 November 2012

Tyler Perry might be funny if he hasn't worn out his shuck-n-jive shtick with "Madea" out completely with everyone but blacks, maybe even them. This movie was just awful. Even my foreign born wife who knows good movies thought it was horrible and funny. I am ashamed of Jean Reno even consenting to be cast in it, he is one of the great living actors in the world. The whole movie had great potential but became an intolerable disaster. And BTW, just how many wigs does Cicely Tyson have? At least three or four bad ones in this movie at least.

I would be embarrassed to have my name in the credits even if my face wasn't seen. I mean really...............Tyler Perry as a brilliant crime solving detective with intuition to boot and who is NEVER wrong? Give me a break "shugah chile".

poorly done formula movie

Author: xcell444 from canada
15 December 2012

could be spoilers but I don't think so I'm not being too specific

well this movie was not as good as it should be with today's talent. The plot had pieces missing then all of a sudden your someplace else. But what killed me is every action seen they use a hand-held camera and started to shake it. I was getting sick. Cheapest special effects why did the director call for this. Anyway overall a poor formula movie totally predictable and disappointing. If you don't mind brainless action and acting then it's great. But if you're looking for something well made this is not for you.

What gets me even more is how the writers and director expected us to believe the impossible collision and capture of the villain completely by accident. There's no real plot here of trying to capture or hunt down your psychotic killer it's just he will be handed to you on a platter completely by accident. I almost started laughing but painfully this expert bad guy seem to lose all his talent even his acting talent right at that crucial moment. They should have made this a little bit more suspenseful instead it's like they just through the script away. Just a waste of writing and acting.today's movies with all the wealth of information and skill on how a movie should be made I still wonder how these ones get produced with such obvious lack of insight and skill

What.. was that?

Author: killer1h from United States
22 October 2012

I'm a big fan of the Alex Cross series, now after watching the first 2 movies where he was depicted correctly and played great, I just have to say. What in the hell happen here? This was a movie but it definitely has nothing to do with Alex Cross.

Let's Start at the beginning. Instead of being a profiler and knowing that giving the subject exactly what he wants is always a mistake he goes right along with playing his game and as a result loses on every front possible. Now lets look at the actual comparative of the way the movie fairs against how the other movies did. Instead of following a string of clues designed to lead to an ultimate destination this was just a run around shooter the entire time. This version of "Alex Cross" acted like a complete amateur and did nothing in the way of psychological detecting all he did was guess here and there until finally something panned out. The only time he got into the mind of the killer was right before the killer blew up his mark thus making it a complete and utter waste of time.

This movie was a great action flick and would have brought in quite a bit if some idiot didn't decide to stick the name Alex Cross on the cover and call it one of the series. The only redeemable quality I saw in the entire movie was the killer himself(Matthew fox). He did an amazing job and if you look at it from a hired assassins point of view an absolutely brilliant performance. It was very sad when he died at the end I thought it would have been a much better ending if he had killed Alex Cross which after watching this movie I'm sure the backers of this sad abomination would agree would be the highlight of all of our days.

3/10 great action movie, not even close to an Alex Cross novel.

Book vs. Movie

Author: mdavis803 from Columbia, SC
20 October 2012

Not only was this movie not like the book, it wasn't even the same story. Where's John Sampson? The Butcher of Sligo is supposed to be handsome...that's how he picks up women, but that didn't happen in the movie. It took place in Detroit not Washington, D.C. Also, where's Ali, Alex's youngest son?

I'm further PO'd that James Patterson would release the book Alex Cross (which is a re-publication of Cross) with the movie promo picture, but the story bears no resemblance to the movie.

If you've never read any of the Alex Cross books, then it's probably an OK movie. It had some good special effects.

3.5/10, go on a cheap day

Author: scifiactionfan from Canada
20 October 2012

Really boring.

The was lots of action but very little excitement.

The ending was a nice twist but it isn't enough to make it a decent movie.

It was totally unbelievable that Alex Cross could beat Picasso in hand to hand especially after Picasso showed what he could do.

It would have been nice if they told more about Picasso's background. It's hard to believe they never profiled him in depth.

It was a bad movie and it won't surprise me when it doesn't stay in theaters very long.

I give it a 3.5/10 and my friend also gives it a low rating.

None of the 'so called' talent attached does anything to make it bearable!

Author: Hellmant from United States
24 October 2012

'ALEX CROSS': Two and a Half Stars (Out of Five)

Tyler Perry takes over the titular role from Morgan Freeman (who previously played the detective in 1997's 'KISS THE GIRLS' and 2001's 'ALONG CAME A SPIDER'). The film also co-stars Matthew Fox (looking very slim) and Edward Burns and was directed by Rob Cohen (the popular B action film director of hits like 'THE FAST AND THE FURIOUS', 'XXX' and 'THE MUMMY: TOMB OF THE DRAGON EMPEROR'). It was written by Marc Moss (who also wrote 'ALONG CAME A SPIDER') and first time feature film writer Kerry Williamson and based on the book 'Cross' by James Patterson (writer of the entire 'Alex Cross' book series). Patterson also served as a producer on the film. As far as reboots go this one took the series in a seriously wrong direction (and there's already a sequel planned with Perry reprising his role called 'DOUBLE CROSS', adapted from the thirteenth novel featuring the character). The films with Morgan Freeman were much more respectable crime thrillers. This isn't even 'so bad it's good'!

This film centers on Alex Cross (Perry) discovering his wife (Carmen Ejogo) is pregnant with their third child as he's also offered a job working for the FBI. He breaks the news to his partner Tommy Kane (Burns) who also breaks the news to Cross that he's began relations with another officer on their team, Monica Ashe (Rachel Nichols), much to the disapproval of Cross. The two respond to a murder scene where a madman (Fox) tortured and murdered a young woman (Stephanie Jacobson) and her bodyguards. Clues lead them (and Officer Ashe) to the offices of a businessman known as Erich Nunemacher (Werner Daehn), who they realize is the insane assassin's next target. They engage in a conflict with the killer before he escapes. This causes the three detectives to be marked for death by the killer and all hell breaks loose when the Cross family is put in harm's way.

The movie, like most of Cohen's work, is heavy on action and extremely light on plot and character development. The characters aren't really fleshed out at all, despite whatever moves the plot along in typical 'cops chasing killer' crime thriller fashion. The dialogue is dull and the acting is even worse. Fox is somewhat creepy as the psychopath bad guy but given his atrocious real life image as a women beating asshole it's not hard to dislike him at all. Burns is wasted and Nichols looks beautiful but offers the film nothing else. Perry is severely miscast. I've only seen one of his awful 'Madea' movies but it was enough (along with the trailers for the others) to know I'd never want to go through the pain of watching one again. He might actually be better in action films like this but he's still no actor and he's definitely no Morgan Freeman! I had heard Idris Elba was originally cast in the film instead of Perry. He would have made the movie much more intriguing and fun. As it is it's pretty bad and none of the 'so called' talent attached does anything to make it anymore bearable.

Watch our movie review show 'MOVIE TALK' at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGpMUj20Xx4

A tough act to follow

Author: bowmanblue from United Kingdom
6 June 2014

In 'Alex Cross' Tyler Perry steps up to try and fill the shoes of Morgan Freeman, who played the titular character in both Kiss the Girls and Along Came a Spider. Unfortunately, although he gives it his best shot, he does seem to fall a little short of the mark. When Freeman played the role, he gave it an air of quiet dignity where he was always ready to outwit his opponent. Perry is a big man, therefore a big gun suits him and he comes across more like he's ready to star in an action movie.

However, the lead role aside, the film chugs along quite nicely. It's based on the book of the same name and is quite tense and thrilling (if a little far-fetched in places). It's a buddy-cop film where the law enforcement are on the hunt of a killer/hit-man known by the alias 'Picasso.' There's nothing new to see here, but if you're a fan of the genre, you can certainly do worse. However, you could probably read a newspaper while watching it and still completely understand everything that goes on.

Worth a watch if there's nothing else.

Poor production values

Author: lbmoniz
10 May 2014

Lacks the class and drama of previous efforts with Morgan Freeman who is a superior actor. I guess being succinct isn't allowed so I'll have to repeat these lines over again. Lacks the class and drama of previous efforts with Morgan Freeman who is a superior actor. Lacks the class and drama of previous efforts with Morgan Freeman who is a superior actor. Lacks the class and drama of previous efforts with Morgan Freeman who is a superior actor. Lacks the class and drama of previous efforts with Morgan Freeman who is a superior actor. Lacks the class and drama of previous efforts with Morgan Freeman who is a superior actor.

Far from brilliant, but is it enjoyable, yes.

Author: superal1966 from United Kingdom
14 October 2013

I have never read any of the books and watched Alex Cross after reading a few of the reviews on here, so my expectations weren't too high, but I have to say I was pleasantly surprised.

There are without a doubt negatives in Alex Cross. There is little, if any, character development, and the relationship between Alex Cross and his partner feels more like Mel Gibson and Danny Glover than that of two childhood friends. The direction is awful in parts as well; one particular fight near the end of the film springs to mind where one would be forgiven for thinking the cameraman was drunk. It was pretty hard to see what was going on.

That said, it has a decent plot for an action film and makes for a good light and easy watch with a pizza and a few beers. Yes it is predictable, and no the acting isn't going to win any Academy Awards, but was it fun, yes.

I think some films are just meant to be enjoyed while overlooking any faults, and this is certainly one of them. If you can do that then I would recommend watching Alex Cross.

Better then I expected

Author: beavanjb from United States
21 July 2013

First, I've never watched a Tyler Perry movie or TV show, so unlike most on here I'm not judging the movie simply by that. Also, I'm not trying to compare him to Morgan Freeman. So, if you can get past that you'll see that Alex Cross is actually a good movie, based on the reviews here people went in with way too many biases to enjoy it no matter how good it was. Again, Mathew Fox puts in a very good performance that was not what you would expect from him. The only performance that feels mailed in is that of Edward Burns. Anyway, I know Perry is known for comedy and this movie is pretty serious and dark throughout. A nice thrill ride if you are open to the actors involved.

Cross it off your watch list!

Author: Chris Ironside from Aberdeen, Scotland
21 June 2013

I was quite looking forward to seeing this film, but it disappointed in every way. Dr Benton was average, Dr Cox was a let down and I found Matthew Fox's over-acting quite a distraction. Jean Reno and Ed Burns gave reasonable performances but they were battling against quite something with the film itself.

The story is reasonable (I haven't read the books), but it was very poorly executed. A shaky-camera technique appeared to be preferred for fight scenes, but I didn't appreciate it.

Most of my disappointment originated with Fox though. I can only presume Fox's character is intended as skillful, intelligent, cold and psychotic... but just comes across as mental! Avoid if you're hoping for a reasonable action film. This is no Bourne!

Crazy

Author: kosmasp
9 June 2013

Matthew Fox (most will recognize him from the TV show Lost) gives a borderline performance here. Although you might argue he goes over the top more than once in this movie. It's tough to watch and not to laugh at his mannerisms. Even though they often do result in brutal scenes. Also a Tyler Perry is not entirely convincing in the lead role. It's not that he's bad, but he isn't really that good. And I haven't seen him in drag (though he does have a reputation in America, which might have led to the fact, that the movie did not work over there).

The cast overall is pretty good. But even people with small roles cannot leave their mark as usual (John C. McGinley to name one, who phones in his performance, but might still be better than the underused Jean Reno). There's also a twist towards the end of the movie, you might not care about. It's just too much in a movie that at least does not hold back punches ...

The Morgan Freeman efforts must have got the tone much better than this

Author: davideo-2 from United Kingdom
5 June 2013

STAR RATING: ***** Saturday Night **** Friday Night *** Friday Morning ** Sunday Night * Monday Morning

Respected Detective Alex Cross (Tyler Perry) finds himself on the trail of a killer named Picasso (Matthew Fox), who's targeting a group of figures in the financial world and leaving a gruesome trail behind after himself. Cross uses his intellect and experienced knowledge of killer's to hunt his prey, but when his own wife is murdered, he throws caution to the wind and wages a one man war against his prey.

I quite like my thrillers, especially the more darker ones, so it's a surprise I never saw Morgan Freeman's original outing as the titular detective from the novels, Kiss the Girls. I think I caught Along Came a Spider once, but the previous film probably would have given me a deeper understanding of Cross before this flashy, more modern effort came along, trying to give the character an edge to a modern day audience with a younger, more vibrant star (who probably hasn't started falling asleep during interviews yet!) and a slick, glossy new style of filming. However, the tone just doesn't fit with the material and isn't and doesn't provide a satisfying pay off in the end.

As if these problems weren't enough, the film just feels like such a mechanical effort, lazily connecting one dot to another and one genre cliché to the last one, before the big red herring of the plot in the shape of Cross's wife's murder comes along, which feels like such a preposterous and unbelievable turn of events, but one which it feels the plot rests on to prevent it becoming too tedious. By the end, Cross has become such an immoral, unlikable character (even condemning a man to death in the name of petty revenge!) it's thrown all his credibility as a hero out the window.

Even with a support cast including Ed Burns and Jean Reno, this misguided, misfiring effort fails to get any more class. **

The thriller production line

Author: cmoyton from United Kingdom
2 June 2013

Alex Cross does just about enough to make you want to see it through to the end but will not make you want to recommend to others. Although difficult it is best to leave comparisons with Freeman behind - it was never going to be that good. The biggest failing really is the derivative script. The killer is a lean mean killing machine cypher, hired by a multi million rich financier who has been burned in the financial crisis. Loose ends need to be eliminated.

Thats as deep as it gets - as shallow as a puddle. Bar some saccharine snapshots from the Cross family portfolio there is zero character development. Some of the actions sequences are good , just not enough of them and the direction is slick, but would you wear that cornflower tie at your own wife's funeral?.

Alex Cross, an action movie aiming to entertain.

Author: tropicasia1992 from Greece
24 May 2013

Hi people, this is my first review of a film, although I've seen dozens of movies. I decided to write a critic about "Alex Cross" because I saw many bad reviews and wondered about what is going wrong. At first I saw the "4.9" rate at the IMDb and I thought: "Hmmm, is this movie that bad?" and wondered if it worths my time. I was almost ready to watch another one because of such a low rate but at last I decided to give it a chance. First of all the aim of Action Movies is to entertain people. People all around the world see dozens of actions films NOT for the actors, NOT for the plot, NOT for the acting, JUST for entertainment. These are not my words, if you disagree with me just check at the box offices of action movies. So, "Alex Cross" is a lot entertaining and keeps some thrilling till the end. It has a lot of action and the adventure which a cop film must contain. Now, which action movie is not predictable? Hmmm, none! We all know what is going to happen next, the point is if the movie keeps the adrenaline high. And Alex Cross does. As for the scenario part, it's indeed very simple, like most of the movies which are being produced every year. I would like also to add that in such movies it's not required to explain why is happening something or how. If you want some reality, or scientific facts, with proofs, go to see a documentary. The balance between drama and action was exactly at the perfect spot. The film succeeds to inform the audience for the personal, psychological and professional situation of the main heroes without being wearing or boring. The problems I spotted are the decision of the director to make the cameras shaking in some action scenes and the "fast-forward" part at the end. I can't explain it better, those who will see it you'll understand. Thanks for reading, Chris van der Mass.

I like this movie a lot!

Author: joe chang (joechang@freenet.de) from Taiwan
18 May 2013

I don't understand why the rating of this movie is so low? It should be a 6.5 rather than 4.9. The horrible Die Hard 5 has got a decent 5.6 and the stupid Transporter got 6.7!

Sometimes I wonder the ratings are rated by Aliens, for example The Hurt Locker got high ratings (7.7) and beat Avatar at the Oscar. Let's be honest who would want to rent The Hurt Locker DVD on a Friday night?

Maybe I got poor tastes at clothes and I admit I love fast foods, but Alex Cross is not a bad movie! It is far better than the 6.4 Killer Elite and more entertaining than the 6.5 Mechanic.

Alex Cross has got good actors (Edward Burns is one of my all time favorite actors) and good story, it's photography needs a bit improvements though. This is a must see if you want to watch a DVD by yourself.

Anyone Can Cross Alex Cross?Any Doubts! Hell No

Author: M MALIK from Pakistan
4 May 2013

this is the line came from my mouth after i saw this mess of a film.Alex cross is bases on a novel now every movie Hollywood ever made either on games or novels or short stories they are only money makers.but despite that i enjoy many films when this came to me few months ago i remembered max Payne but this is a mass insult to the action genre.

the special effects & the climax was ridiculous.the main thing i liked was Picasso & middle story of the film.but i was expecting too much from it.

plot goes as a guy named Picasso is killing people now Alex cross(Tyler perry) a cop gets involved & things gets personal.

now what was the point here when too many films show us that the villain somehow cant shoot the hero then why repeat the same thing man.now as for this character Alex cross is to me he don't have what it takes to be a hero period.

the cast never impressed me except Rachel Nichols as a fan of her i say she got wasted in this nonsense.

my rating is 3/10 for the good effort by the team who made Alex cross & made some nice action scenes but the result is failure.i want people to stay away from this film its not worth your money.

It's "Watchable"

Author: Chris L. from United States
14 February 2013

Alex Cross wasn't a action packed, edge of your seat type of movie. I do believe that was what it was supposed to be. The movie is what I would call "watchable". That means you can watch it from start to finish, without trying to poke your eyes out afterwards. It was a decent movie. Let me just say, it was better that anything else I've seen Tyler Perry in. The acting was okay.But let be real people...there was no Bruce Willis, or Selvester Stallone in it. If so, Alex Cross would get much higher than a "6" rating from me. I'm not going to say it was my favorite movie, I'm not going to say it was my most hated movie. Now it is not something I would constantly spend money on, like Star Wars. But, decent enough to watch.

P.s: Cicely Tyson needs to fire her agent fast. She is too good for this.

It was okay

Author: (bob-rutzel-1) from United States
12 February 2013

Detroit Detective Dr. Alex Cross (Tyler Perry) goes up against Picasso (Matthew Fox) an accomplished Hit-man who specializes in torture and pain for his victims. But, this time catching a killer is different because Picasso takes something from Cross.

Too often this felt rushed. The pacing was too fast when the police and Cross are talking about the case and following the leads. However when the story dealt with Cross' family this slowed to a crawl and too much time was spent there. Keep in mind that they had to give Cicely Tyson more screen time as Alex's mother.

The acting was good all around. Matthew Fox can play a scary dude. One might say John C. McGinley as Captain Rockwell exhibited forced anger (but that's his shtick) at times and it didn't fit some scenes as it was too over the top. Jean Reno, always good, has a small part in here.

Some good stunts and limited CGI rounded out the action for the most part. However (there you go again) the fight with Picasso was in subdued lighting and the cameraman had a hard time following the action as did we. The fight didn't end this. Cross needs to get the man who hired Picasso. See, we are still not done.

This must have been an earlier James Patterson novel made to a movie because in here Cross is considering joining the FBI in Washington, DC. The other two novels - also made into movies - are: ALONG CAME A SPIDER and KISS THE GIRLS both starring Morgan Freeman as Dr. Alex Cross and both movies had him in DC. But with the FBI? Cannot recall. Still this was okay. (5/10)

Violence: Yes. Sex: No. Nudity: No. Torture: Yes, in the beginning. Hollywood seems to like torture. Language: Soft stuff and very brief.

When devotion becomes a bit too much to ask

Author: Steve Pulaski from United States
6 February 2013

We've seen Alex Cross before, in numerous other detective films, and even if we haven't, or can't quite recall where, somehow we arrive at the expected conclusion in our heads roughly twenty-five minutes before the characters of the film do. This isn't the first time the title character, spawned from numerous novels by acclaimed author James Patterson (none of which read by me), has made his appearance on film, with Morgan Freeman last inhabiting the role in Along Came a Spider in 2001, which was a sequel to Kiss the Girls in 1997.

Now, in 2012, the filmmakers of Alex Cross clearly want two things to happen. They want to foster an action franchise with known cross-dressing comedian Tyler Perry in the title role, and they want his devoted fans, who show up opening weekend for his "Madea" films, to watch these films out of blatant curiosity. Despite not enjoying two of his previous pictures, I came to liking Tyler Perry in the role of an apparently smart detective. I employ the phrase "apparently smart" to note that never do we see just why Cross has gone on to receive that comment by all his colleagues and close friends. I guess when you enter a room filled with dead people and immediately state that one person committed the homicides is stunning confidence, everyone around you just goes along for the ride.

As established, our title character is Tyler Perry, a detective and psychologist living in Detroit with his loving wife Maria (Carmen Ejogo). Cross works with Tommy (Edward Burns) and Monica (Rachel Nichols), his partners who are secretly having an affair behind his back. It's also made clear that Cross and his wife Maria want to leave Detroit, because she is pregnant and wants to free both of them from the seamy Detroit area.

Yet with these stories there's always an "until..." Until a sociopathic killer who calls himself "Picasso" (Matthew Fox) enters the picture, after killing a woman named Fan Yau (Stephanie Jacobsen), who assists in running an enormous corporation. Cross predicts that the other heads of the corporation may be next, such as Giles Mercier (Jean Reno), and so the race to stop "Picasso" begins.

Give the performers some deserved credit. Perry plays his role with marginal sophistication, clearing establishing to his fanbase that may or may not be in the audience, and to others who have undoubtedly heard his name a few times, that he has the ability or the ambition to be diverse and layered. Fox also plays a convincing villain, although he's thanklessly underwritten and left without really much elaborate to do, thanks to the neutered PG-13 rating.

But the rather mild nature of Alex Cross doesn't bother me as much as the needlessness for this project or the half-baked story. From the lukewarm reception of Morgan Freeman's "Cross" films, to the uninspired aftertaste this film left many viewers, it's apparent to the public that while Alex Cross can certainly give a book a title and a legion of fans, it doesn't guarantee cinematic success. As much as I loathe the ignorant phrase of "the book is better than the movie," it would appear that the book can not be efficiently adapted to a movie. Writers Marc Moss and Kerry Williamson juggle juggle too many characters, a feeble plot, and Rob Cohen conducts exposition with boredom and action sequences with incoherency. The climatic fight between Cross and "Picasso" not only feels forced, but features some of the worst videography and direction I've seen this year - right up there with Olivier Megaton's Taken 2.

If Tyler Perry's legion of followers sought out Alex Cross, I commend them for their devotion and optimism. Whether or not they liked it is a mystery to me, but things aren't looking so hot in terms of overall reception. For them to seek out a sequel would be asking too much.

Starring: Tyler Perry, Matthew Fox, Edward Burns, Rachel Nichols, Cicely Tyson, and Jean Reno. Directed by: Rob Cohen.

A step above a generic action movie because of Fox's character. Movie is OK and worth seeing but Perry was a bad choice. I say B

Author: Tony Heck (cosmo_tiger@hotmail.com) from United States
4 February 2013

"I'm just looking for a bad guy." Homicide detective Alex Cross (Perry) is on the trail of a vicious serial killer (Fox). After wreaking havoc over the town Alex risks everything when his wife becomes a victim. He must use all his skills to stop the madman from killing again. I haven't seen the movies Kiss The Girls or Along Came A Spider so I wasn't really sure what to expect from this one. This is a "prequal" of sorts so I guess this is a good one to start with. I have to admit that the movie itself was OK. A little generic but saved by Matthew Fox. He was over the top creepy in this and really kept me interested. The down side was Tyler Perry. I will say that I am not a big fan of his but at least he stays in his comfort zone and knows what his fans want. This role is a departure for him but I just don't buy him as an action star at all. I don't know if it was him or his acting but I seemed distracted by him almost the entire time. Again though the movie itself is OK and worth seeing at least once. Overall, not a bad movie but would have been better if Perry wasn't the lead. I give it a B.

A peculiar thriller... With comic characters and tragic events

Author: Bene Cumb from Estonia
8 January 2013

The plot is rather weak, like a mixed porridge, lots of clichés, unlikely actions/activities and predictable ending. The titular character is played by Tyler Perry - who is totally unknown to me, and he is beneath notice in comparison with Morgan Freeman, who has played Alex Cross twice before. Supporting characters are more catchy, first and foremost Matthew Fox as Picasso (convincing villain), Jean Reno as Giles Mercier (glib billionaire) and Edward Burns as Tommy Kane (reckless cop); they probably agreed to play is this movie due to reputation of the director Rob Cohen, I guess.

There are hundreds of crime thrillers better than this out there, even in 2012; for instance, Safe House with Denzel Washington. Alex Cross is a kind of killing-time stuff, nothing special (however, not a flop either).

I really wanted to like this, but....

Author: scottcloney
30 October 2012

I was very excited when I heard about this movie, Alex Cross has always been one of my favorite characters and I was a big fan of the two older movies. I knew they would have to replace Morgan Freeman as he was too old to convincingly play Alex Cross anymore and I'll admit that I was not terribly happy to start with whom they chose.

However, Tyler Perry is not the problem with this movie. The actors in this film( Perry, Edward Burns, Rachel Nichols, Jean Reno and Matthew Fox) all do relatively good jobs with what they are given. The acting was never so bad that it distracted me from the movie and at times was pretty good. The writing and directing were nothing short of pathetic though.

I watched this movie and couldn't help but feel that they rushed the whole thing. No plot point is ever explained and no character development ever occurs. All characters except for Det. Cross are never, ever given any kind of development and very little of what these characters do makes any sense. Why would a professional assassin, who presumably has been doing this for a while, suddenly completely deviate from the way he does things to go after some police officers ,who managed to almost stop him only from a clue he gave them for no apparent reason to begin with. How could this guy have managed to kill people for so long if he was so erratic? Why does MAJOR SPOILER**** Jean Reno hire the hit-man in the first place, surely there are better ways to fake your death to cover money laundering than to hire a psychotic hit-man that you can't control.

This movie could have used another ten to fifteen minutes to develop some story lines and flesh out the ones they have. I wanted to like this movie, but in the end it made about the least sense of any movie I have seen in 10 years. I'd love to see Perry get another crack at Dr. Cross but as this is bombing pretty bad, I am pretty sure they have killed this character.

So very sad....

Why Was This Movie Even Made?

Author: thelastplace from United States
10 May 2014

I've been reading James Patterson for 20 years and have read ALL the Alex Cross books. This piece of crap was made for the money and no other reason. And from the posted gross, that didn't work either. First, the two previous movies were based on Alex Cross books, 'Along Came A Spider' and 'Kiss the Girls'. This was a made up story that is too predictable. Second, the partner, Thomas Kane, is NOT Cross' partner. He has NEVER had a partner except John Sampson. Third, Maria would have been dead BEFORE this movie, not in this movie. Fourth, set in DETROIT, not D.C. where it should have been set. I don't remember a single story where Alex Cross worked in Detroit, let alone lived there. Fifth, Cicely Tyson, as good as she is, was WRONG for the role of Nana Mama. Should I go on? If you love Alex Cross, stay away from this piece of garbage.

Perry's Cross to Bear

Author: whatashleyknows from Canada
23 December 2012

I am generally a pretty big fan of Tyler Perry's films, though he is "hated on" a lot, I do feel that his stories are worth telling, HOWEVER, he should stick to his own films because it has been an awfully long time since I forced myself to sit through such a horrible film. From the opening scene to the closing, this was one frustrating scene after another.

The opening scene...where do I start? The cheesiest, tackiest film shots, music, and dialogue I've ever seen in a "serious" film since the 70's. And it continues from there. One particular shot where the "bad guy", Fox, cuts off the fingers of a victim yet there appears to be no blood on the weapon that he is holding in his hands in the same scene. What kind of director misses that?!?! The acting is atrocious as is the character development. There is no flow in any way shape or form.

I can't seem to find anything positive to review about this film so I'll leave it at that.

Waste of good material

Author: kevinmorice from United Kingdom
20 December 2012

How you take an Alex Cross book, add Matthew Fox as the villain, and turn out this nonsense is beyond me.

Surely at the very worst you watch the Morgan Freeman movies and hire someone to do an impression? Or at least look at the scripts of those and see what worked?

Some of the action is so silly that it is hilarious. Picasso is such a good fighter he takes on the local MMA champion and ends his career with minimal effort, but he can't beat an out-of- shape, middle-age Cross who has a broken arm.

Some of the suspense is even worse. One of the cops is tortured and killed off and it isn't even referenced. His wife is killed off and he is back at work the day after and chasing the killer.

And then there are the stupid things that they add in just to make visuals. Why on earth are there a load of viewing hatches in the water pipe? This is so obviously done just so we can watch the villain in the pipe and is beyond stupid.