IMDb > 11-11-11 (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
11-11-11

11-11-11 More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

no offense, but this movie is garbage.

Author: eviscerations
7 November 2011

the plot is just atrocious. the ending is ridiculous. the acting is terrible. the special effects are far from special. the theme is unoriginal. about the only enjoyable aspect of this "film" - i'd not call it that, but rather a "cinematic suppository" - would be the soundtrack. save yourself. save your money. save 2 hours of your life that you will never get back if you were to suffer through this travesty.

the saddest part about this movie is the fact that it will make more money than most of us make in our entire lifetimes.

oh and just to add perhaps some weight to my statements, i graduated film school. i spent months studying screenplays and the screen writing process. i went through years of work to attain my degree. you can take my opinion, or you can see for yourself.

i hope for the former. i'd rather you be spared the suffering that is this filth.

awful

Author: blackfurredwolf from Netherlands
4 November 2011

Just saw the movie and regret the time I had spent to see it. It seems as if the movie is cut short in many ways. There is no decent character development nor pace of the storytelling. In some movies it isn't required because it's portrayed well and interesting. Thisone surely isn't. Being a horror movie freak I could point out every and any scene that could have been made more interesting, as if the movie is made by someone who didn't care what he was doing. Such a shame. There are so many decent B movies in the horror genre that had a even smaller budget, but turned out great, entertaining and enough creepy at times. This movie missed the train on all those points. Too bad for words. I hope the film industry comes with better stuff, not puppets spreading their wings and that's supposed to be scary. Don't waste your time on this one peeps. Not worth your time at all.

This is NOT a doomsday film!

Author: TheCornProject from Western Australia
6 November 2011

You may or may not have bought into the false advertising campaign that is targeting young horror fans who think that they are going to see some apocalyptic event that occurs on the 11-11-11. If you are part of this target group, I am telling you now that you will most certainly be disappointed. This film is a slow-paced, methodical character-driven piece about the conflict between faith-based ideologies. Don't be tricked into thinking that this is going to be some exciting or thrilling popcorn adventure in the same vein as some of the other high budget apocalyptic films out there. Director Darren Lynn Bousman has himself said that he wanted to explore his own spiritual beliefs and conceptions about existence through this film.

We begin by following Joseph Crone (Timothy Gibbs), a popular novelist who is tormented by the death of his family through constant reoccurring nightmares and hallucinations. As seemingly random events begin to unfold in his life, Joseph struggles to cling onto any real purpose of his continuing existence. As he rapidly descends into a state of self-seclusion, he discovers a pattern in which all the events in his life are taking place. They appear to always happen at the set time of 11:11 am/pm. When his estranged pastor brother Samuel (Michael Landes) rings to tell him about his dying father, Joseph immediately travels to Barcelona. Here is where the story will perhaps turn south for most people. We spend a good 40 minutes of the film trying to decipher strange supernatural clues as we are subjected to long-winded seemingly pointless dialogue scenes. For some this may be incredibly boring, especially since the fact that apart from a few jump-scares and men in goblinesque costumes, the film is basically devoid of any horror or suspense. As the day of 11-11-11 approaches, events get weirder and weirder until the finale where a huge revealing twist is attempted but comes off looking incredibly schlocky.

Overall I'm pretty sure this film will flop badly. Due to its misleading nature, I feel that many people are going to rightfully flame this film in general. In my opinion it would have served better as a psychological drama about the descent of a rational man into madness. The twist would have been Joseph's self-realization that 11-11-11 has no meaning and it is just another number. Unfortunately the film favors a more unrealistic and perplexing ending that wasn't needed. There are however some redeemable qualities to the film such as the philosophical themes surrounding religion vs. society and also the talent of Timothy Gibbs to carry the film until the end despite many major flaws. I recommend that you watch this when it comes out on DVD so you can make up your own mind but I suggest that you consider the limitations of the budget (which couldn't have been more than $2 million).

Big disappointment

Author: Rozhbaiany from Kurdistan
6 November 2011

Personally, being obsessed to the whole repetitive numbers made me very excited about this movie. I was really waiting for it to be released! And that's probably why it was a big disappointment for me. The idea of the repetitive numbers was a new unexplored theme and unfortunately it got spoiled with this movie. Very weak acting with obvious predictable flow of the story, combined with cheap visual effects and make up, all built for the failure of this movie. Not to mansion the off topic ending which was a hopeless trial to give a lasting final impression. Seriously the whole religion thing in those movies is a pathetic try from their writers to utilize people's passions towards their beliefs to make free advertisement for the movies! P.S. the only reason I gave the movie 2 stars out of 10 is for it's title nothing more nothing less.

Weak, lame, and uninspired

Author: waste420 from United States
5 November 2011

This movie was just TERRIBLE. I got an advanced copy and what a complete waste of time. This was solely a gimmick for 11/11/11. The people who wrote this were just looking for a way to make money on a movie and what they came up with was the weakest plot somehow tied to religion and a number.

But guess what, the number has nothing to do with this movie. They could have easily made this movie without all of the number references. They also could have easily made this movie better without such a loose plot, however it was extremely hard to follow or figure what was going on.

Then they finally tell you what is going on like you are a child, flashing back to scenes that you just saw and don't need to be retold. Overall, this movie didn't even give the satisfaction of even coming off as a scary movie, like it advertises.

The scares were weak and overplayed. The best part was maybe the crazy old man, but that is even stretching it for me. Just say no, I wish I did.

Author: tgump89 from United States
5 November 2011

Starts out slow, after 20 minuets or so it get a nice suspenseful rhythm then the stupidest ending. Writers please if you don't have the ability to right an unexpecting "twist" at the end don't try. IMO they tried to make the viewer feel "wow I would of never guest that"...You know why we would never guess that? Because its stupid, leaves a ton of holes, and is "unresolved" ... oh yeah and mostly unsatisfying.

Only reason it got a two is for leading me on in the middle to think it was going to be worth my time.

Endings you can guess are boring yes, but I'd take predictable over retarded any day. Currently I'm having flash back of Nicholas Cage in wicker man...not that bad but so close.

11-11-11

Author: creaturewiththeatombraindotnet from United Kingdom
6 November 2011

American writer and atheist, Joseph Crone, receives word from his estranged brother, that his father is dying. He travels to Spain to see his father on his death bed, where he discovers that his younger brother has followed his fathers calling and become a catholic Pastor. Together they have established their own chapel on the grounds of their family home. Joseph's life has been plagued with strange happenings and tragedies, which seem to be connected to the number 11. His intrigue soon uncovers deeper mythological and religious significance to the number and possibly his family.

11-11-11 is written and directed by Darren Lynn Bousman, who previously brought us Saw 2 – 4 and the superb 2010 remake of Mothers Day. Bousman has made skillful use of popular synchronicity around the number 11, where numerologists and string theorists believe that events linked to the time 11:11 appear more often than can be put down to mere chance or accident and has great symbolism in the universe.

The basic idea for the movie is engaging with lots of potential, unfortunately, this is where the films merits end. The plot becomes tedious and bland fast, holding this pace for the majority of the film. The scares consist of frightening faces appearing in the shadows or windows, but they fail to show any snap or shock value, becoming repetitive and tiresome early on. The special effects, especially the costumes and make up, feel amateurish and almost laughable a times. The acting and dialogue is decidedly mediocre, the characters are difficult to like or relate to in many ways. The twist ending of the movie was better than expected, however, it does not make up for its unexciting story and production short comings. Overall a great idea, wasted.

A sadly disappointing, deeply silly film

Author: Just_Killing_Time from Netherlands
5 November 2011

I had hope for director Darren Lynn Bousman (Saw 2-4), since Repo! The Genetic Opera was a flawed but interesting experiment and his Mother's Day remake was actually pretty much excellent IMHO. But alas…bad movie is bad. Bousman's directing skils aren't even the real problem here (the film is shot decently and is at times pretty atmospheric), but near everything else is... There is hardly enough story here to warrant a half hour Twilight Zone segment, let alone a feature film. For an hour, the same things happen over and over again, even going so far that 2 characters have the exact same conversation no less than 3 times. Acting is hammy at best, especially from the lead actor, who's film-noir detective like voice-over nearly takes the film into the realm of parody. The music is constanty omnious, even when nothing remotely creepy is happening. The finale is actually pretty OK and I actually liked the ending, but the makers damn near give us the resolution of the movie in a powerpoint presentation with the director shouting "See? See what we did there???" I actually had quite some fun watching this, giggling at how bad this all was. And I admit I jumped a few times. Just make sure you don't go out of your way to see this. It is a deeply silly film.

Poorly researched concept, could have been better

Author: AnotherReviewer from Canada
6 November 2011

11:11 seems to be a real phenomenon, but this movie has no correlation to those beliefs or possibilities. In that sense, it was poorly researched. I Think the idea is good, but here it was almost thrown together and poorly thought-out. The movie seems jumpy and quite random, the characters have no depth,and scenes lack flow. With bad make-up/costume design, low budget special effects, and sometimes pointless dialogue, I was almost distracted from the story. There was enough monotone content, with a few attempts to startle the audience, to keep me until the fairly predictable end. I really wouldn't recommend this to anybody... maybe a study on "How we could have made this movie better" for film students.

Promising Premise, Messy and Disappointing Execution

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
13 April 2012

The successful American writer and atheist Joseph Crone (Timothy Gibbs) participates in a support group to accept the death of his beloved wife Sarah (Salomé Jiménez) and their son Diogo. Joe befriends Sadie (Wendy Glenn) in one of the meetings and she helps him when he has a car accident.

When Joe's estranged religious brother Samuel Crone (Michael Landes) tells him that their father is terminal, he travels to Barcelona to stay near the death bed of his father. Joe has visions of demons and with the number 11 and he finds that something evil will happen with Samuel and him on 11 November 2011.

"11-11-11" is a film with a promising premise, but with a messy and disappointing execution. The screenplay is boring and confused; the scary atmosphere with demons repeats several times along the film and becomes irritating; and the predicable plot point is hard to believe, disclosed in very fast pace and annoying. My vote is three.

Title (Brazil): "11-11-11"