IMDb > Hard Boiled Sweets (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Hard Boiled Sweets More at IMDbPro »

Awful.

Author: roper72
26 March 2012

A boring, derivative, badly directed and amateurishly written film. The only other review on IMDb is written by a crew member's relative, and the quote on the poster was paid for - see the readers talk back section on Ain't-it-cool (www.aintitcool.com/node/53709). The real reviews have called it "the worst film of the year", which is much closer to the truth. The characters are clichéd, the plot badly-structured, it has no humour, no suspense, it's glib and cynical. The only thing to take away from this waste of time is that it's an exercise in dishonest film marketing - I guess that's to be expected, as the "director" is a trailer editor. He should stick to doing just that and let the grown-ups make films.

Not a pineapple cube but an aniseed ball with a cough candy twist.

Author: Robert Dunning from United Kingdom
4 May 2012

I did not expect much from this film after reading reviews both here and elsewhere but it is definitely not as bad as some have said. The film portrays an English seaside resort that is run by a local and regional crime boss, played by Paul Freeman and Peter Wight respectively. Various other characters are trying to steal a suitcase full of money. The film is well shot, however it should be recognised that most of the characters are very unsavoury (akin to Nick Love and The Business) and the language throughout is crude to say the least... but hey this is a gangster film after all. The main female characters are just as two dimensional, Laura Greenwood as Delta plays her role well and stands out for me as the naive girl caught up in a very nasty criminal underworld. If you watch this be prepared for some of the usual gangster film themes, an obvious plot (if only for the inclusion of a short film on the DVD which virtually gave it all away) and some nasty language. It's worth watching though for the ending... it would have been nice to see Laura Greenwood given a more challenging role as she definitely hints of better things to come. Peter Wight and Paul Freeman are the rocks of the film. Overall a film that you will watch until the end... not as bad as the critics say. Worth a watch... maybe should have been an 18 cert due to some of the implied content!

Decent heist movie

Author: TdSmth5 from US
2 November 2014

In this lame-titled movie we are introduced for 30 minutes to the characters who are assigned some type of candy based on their personalities. There's the convict who's just released from jail. He doesn't walk more than a few steps outside when he's picked up by a corrupt cop who blackmails him into doing a job. The cop is pressured by the wife to have a child but they are unable and getting medical treatment for it.

The cop and ex-con go to a beach town and scout. The town is owned by some mobster who gets a take from everything that happens there. Every so often he has a briefcase with 250000 with him. There's the area's pimp and his newest employee, a young innocent girl. At home, the mobster has a gorgeous young wife, a former prostitute given to him by the pimp. She wishes nothing more for the old man to die. And she's involved with the mobster's driver. Then there's the boss. He's on his way to the pick up his part of the money from the mobster. He's being chauffeured around by a black kid, whom he teases and mocks and makes believe that his boss is sleeping with his girl.

The cop wants the ex-con to get close to the mobster to steal the briefcase with the money. Around the same time, the mobster's wife wants his driver to help her steal the briefcase when the boss comes, once the total sum of money is there, way more than 250k. The pimp also want the young girl to get close to the boss and steal the case.

When most of these people go back to the mobster's house after partying, the story unravels and we'll find out who gets to keep the money and who doesn't make it.

Hard Boiled Sweets is an enjoyable movie. The whole candy business is a waste of time though and adds nothing to the story. All the characters are unsavory and nasty and some of the dialogue is unnecessarily crude and for all the nastiness there isn't even any nudity. The way the resolution develops is quite surprising though. And while the ending isn't in the least satisfactory but somewhat predictable it still didn't ruin the movie for me. It is a different and interesting movie to watch.

dross dreck trite cliché = garbage ;-(

Author: midnight_cinephile from United States
6 December 2013

Was this a tax write off?

Who green lighted and financed such a horrible film?

PLEASE let me script and write a UK gangster flick,I promise it will be 10,000 times better than this awful pile of steaming dog poop.

Whose idea was it to use those stupid signed candy nic-names for the characters every 10 minutes? The director's girlfriend? DUMB!

What a mess….poor script,weak acting,cliché after cliché,pathetic HACKNEYED gangster trope after cliché after played out trope.

The only bright spot of this abysmal mess is the cinematography. Other than that you might be more enthralled and entertained if YOU stuck you head in the toilet,as this is indeed a class "A" toilet clogging straight to DVD/dumper of a film.Honestly I couldn't finish it because I could care less about anyone or anything in this film,and that is being kind. AVOID!

No. Just no.

Author: wheetc
22 May 2013

The film was slow and dull. Unoriginal characters and a clichéd British hard-men nutter story. No where near the class and wit of Guy Ritchie's Masterpieces which some people seem to have the audacity to compare this to. I just couldn't follow it, felt bored out of my mind within 5 minutes. I can't believe it's received any of the decent reviews which it has; I'm guessing they're family and friends of those who were involved in the making of this diabolical film.

I would have hoped if they were ambitious enough to use the 5D Mark II to shoot this, they would have had the patience and desire to ensure the story was decent with imaginative characters and an engaging, colourful plot; this is where the film fell flat on it's face for me.

Good basic idea

Author: kosmasp
20 June 2013

The movie is based on a short story and that is (my guess) why and how the filmmaker got the money to do the movie. The short movie is on the DVD (I'd think every nation must have it, but check before you buy/rent it of course) and you can watch it afterwards to see the differences. It's not that long and if you liked at least the idea you can judge for yourself what you think of it.

Of course the short movie is expanded a lot and ends on a different note too. The acting is decent enough for a movie like this and it might surprise you from times to times. Still there are quite a few things that are wrong. You might care about them or not (it tries too hard to be cool, story flaws and filmmaking flaws), but let's see where this filmmaker is going.

Great Brit Sowth Hend Gangster Flick.

Author: area01 from United Kingdom
12 July 2012

What Can I say.....? Great dialogue. Great Gals. Great pacing. Just.... Great all round.

Nice mix of low rent "Sin City" set down south at the Kiss Me Quick seaside town of South End.

Lot's going on to keep you amused and dialogue that is up there with Crime Noir writers like Leonard and Ellroy - it would give Tarantino a run for his money. Let me tell you that, My Son....

Check it out if you liked Lock Stock. Same pacing and humour.

Not sure why it is below most people's radar on IMDb.

But I loved it.

Slick and stylish gangster movie - great dialogue

Author: Kitty Deane from United Kingdom
1 March 2012

A great ensemble film with a strong cast and a punchy storyline. I really liked this film a lot. In the same vein as some brilliant modern British gangster classics, but freshened up - and really rich visually.

This is slick and stylish throughout with some gorgeous camera work and nice editing.

It's got a strong British theme running throughout, taking in some classic London / seaside town locations - seedy - but still with a faded charm!

The overall story follows a number of different characters, all rather shady and looking for shortcuts to improve their lot in life - at other people's expense. Everyone gets caught up in a roller-coaster of twists and turns. There is a nicely paced momentum to the story - the plot is just complicated enough to keep it gripping to the end, but not so much that you have to work hard to follow it.

The hard boiled sweets reference carries through the film and makes short work of introducing each new entrant and giving the audience a flavour of their personality by likening them to a different sweet. The characters are all very distinct and quirky and when they get together the combinations are variously funny, melancholic and dangerous.

Highly recommended