IMDb > Lola Versus (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Lola Versus More at IMDbPro »

Enjoyable

Author: tmayx from Earth
27 June 2013

I really enjoyed this movie. It was not too fast nor not too slow, not too heavy nor too light. This movie is about a young women in her mid twenties going through the ups and down in her life due to her selfish/thoughtless decisions, and her name is Lola. Her life was a total wrecked after her fiancé decided to bail a couple of weeks before their wedding. So as you all might have guessed correctly, this movie is technically about Lola's messed and screwed up life. I felt extremely sorry for Lola through out the movie, everything seems to be happening at the wrong time and place for her. It gets pretty depressing at times, but I think the dialogue and screenplay was really genuine and realistic. It has a pinch of comedy with it too. If you're not in the mood so something rather slow and not happening, I would advice you not to watch this movie. You'll end up getting annoyed and impatient. Only watch it when you are in the mood for it! Cheers.

Consolation Lasagna.

Author: morrison-dylan-fan from United Kingdom
17 July 2013

With having heard about Greta Gerwig for the first time a few years ago,in connection to being the "queen" of the Mumblecore genre,I was pleasantly surprised to recently receive 2 Gerwig Mumblecore titles from a friend,which led to me getting ready to see the "Mumblecore queen" in action for the first time.

The plot:

As her 30th birthday appears on the horizon,29 year old Lola begins to feel that her dream life is about to become a reality,when Lola's first (and only) boyfriend Luke proposes to her.Getting prepared for her big day,Lola is stopped from making her dream a reality,due to Luke telling Lola that he needs some "space" between him and herself just 3 weeks before the wedding.

Surrounding her self with loyal friends Henry and Alice,Lola begins attempting to move the painful feeling which Luke has left behind,by preparing to experience life as a single for the first time ever.

View on the film:

For the screenplay of the film,co-writer's Daryl Wein (who also directs) and Zoe Lister Jones (who also gives a strong performance as Lola's walking on eggshells friend Alice) takes a refreshing approach in avoiding the traditional boy-meets-girl route,by making Lola's "dream ending" one that crumbles apart within the first 10 minutes of the film,which leads to Jones and Wein instead showing Lola trying to build a good,but realistic single life for herself.

Making sure that Lola's transition from being engaged to newly single is one that never becomes too downbeat,Wein and Jones fill the movie with whip-smart dialogue,which along with giving the film a real snappy pace also allows for the close knitted relationship between Lola and her friends to be fully shown.Along with the sharp dialogue,Wein and Jones also show that they are not afraid to make their lead character occasionally look a bit stupid,with some of the best scenes in the film showing Lola go on some less than successful dates for the first time.

Backed by Daryl Wein's smooth directing,which keeps Lola's feet firmly on the ground,whilst also showing a stylish eye for cut-aways that reveal the nightmare that Lola sees her future as being,the beautiful Greta Gerwig gives an excellent performance which carefully makes sure the films comedic moments always stay rooted to Lola's struggle of living a single life,and also shows Lola having some serious doubts on what direction her life should take.

Joining Gerwig,Bill Pullman gives a fun,mini performance as Lola's dad Lenny,which is partly helped by Gerwig and Pullman having a slight resemblance to each other,whilst Hamish Linklater gives a terrific performance as Lola's loyal friend Henry,with Linklater showing what can happen when the wires of friendship unexpectedly cross.

Gerwig shines in an otherwise so-so romcom for the mumble core generation

Author: george.schmidt (gpschmidt67@gmail.com) from fairview, nj
16 June 2012

LOLA VERSUS (2012) **1/2 Greta Gerwig, Joel Kinnaman, Zoe Lister Jones, Hamish Linklater, Bill Pullman, Debra Winger, Ebon Moss-Bachrach, Maria Drizzia. Gerwig continues her cottage industry as the mumble core poster-girl makes a head-and-shoulders attempt in her first leading role as the titular heroine, a young psychology grad student in NYC whose fiancée suddenly flakes out and dumps her just before the impending nuptials, causing her to reflect, react and retract - not necessarily in that order - in response as she attempts to find herself without losing her mind. The arch screenplay by co-star Lister Jones (a hoot for the most part as Gerwig's New Age-y BFF with novice filmmaker Daryl Wein has its hands full in trying to set the right tone somewhere between Woody Allen, Nora Ephron and Edward Burns with uneven results in a hit-and-miss too-cool-for-school dialogue and 'awkward' for awkward sakes situations yet the picturesque cinematography by Jakob Ihre makes Manhattan even more romantic than it has been in years (!) Gerwig shines but has a lot of heavy lifting to do.

Nooooooooola!

Author: joeg2372 from California
2 July 2013

I will never watch another Fox Searchlight film because whenever I do movies like this happen. Either Greta Gerwig is a talented bright young actress who just does schmaltzy fake indie movies or some diabolical executive's evil invention designed to single handedly kill non-mainstream cinema. I'm not sure. Lola Versus is a feeble boring predictable yawn-fest about a beautiful young woman who just can't seem to find love in America's and possibly the world's greatest city. I could go on but why? The one star is solely for Gerwig's infectious charm and magnetism even though I feel like she is slowly ruining my love for New York City.

Truly, Madly, Deeply

Author: valis1949 from United States
21 May 2013

LOLA VERSUS (dir. Daryl Wein) The film sets out to expand the parameters of Romantic Comedy by taking a typical gambit (almost a cliché) and gently bruising it a bit. Lola's dreamy life in NYC comes to an abrupt halt when she's dumped by her fiancé. Not in a relationship, and creeping up on thirty...Oh, the horror! Now things get complicated, and she might fall for her best male friend, or even get some emotional help from her hippie parents. The jokes are barbed, and Lola makes some ill suited choices not usually covered in the genre, yet she's got oodles more pluck than the standard sugarcoated heroine. Greta Gerwig is enchanting in the lead role, and her delightful comedic mannerisms and facial expressions are perfect for this wry comedy. This film is a splendid choice if you're looking for something more than the run-of-the-mill lighthearted (empty-headed?) Rom Com.

The Setting IS Wrong

Author: mreyno02 from United States
14 June 2012

At it's core, this is almost as entertaining as a Romantic Comedy should be. But, the setting for this story about a narcissistic, big-city, gen-Y girl seemed 'off'. I can imagine that girls in many places around the world get a sense of dread for that approaching 3-oh, but it's just not true for women, especially in many urban areas, where serious romance, and courting happens not only before 30, but after. I just can't imagine a girl living in a socially sophisticated place like New York City with a sense of foreboding that age is a limiting factor to finding the one she really should be with. The story also meandered a bit, as it tried to develop a clear direction, but while it was scattered, it finally found a direction at the end.

Lola finding her groove

Author: wilson trivino from United States
15 June 2012

Lola (Greta Gerwig) is on top of the world, she is half way through her dissertation on "Silence in 19th Century French Literature" and recently engaged with her hot beau Luke (Joel Kinnaman) on her twenty ninth birthday. Like most often is true in life, if things are too good to be true they usually are and she the swept into a down spin spiral as her plans don't quite turn out like she had planned in her fairy tale life. This witty, cute, and sensitive tale takes in the odyssey of one woman as she presses forward as she lives her turbulent twenties into her confident thirties where she can take charge and realizes that she can be still be a sex kitten with the confidences of a tamed lioness. Directed by Daryl Welin and opens on June 15, Lola Versus is a fun adventure. by Dr. Wilson Trivino

decent film, but "deaf-mute" really???

Author: marysuepro from United States
30 June 2013

This is a decent flick..pretty funny, but the one thing that I really dislike is the fact that Lola (Greta Gerwig)uses the term "deaf-mute" to describe her friend's character when she goes to see her play. First of all, there is no such person as a 'deaf-mute' unless they are deaf and have had their vocal chords removed. This is 2013 and I am certain many people were involved in making this film. I am surprised that no one at all knows that the term is not only offensive, but completely inaccurate. Just an FYI, and I hope someone will read this and "ALERT THE MEDIA"!! Thanks :) I don't usually base a review entirely on the use of an offensive word, or phrase but this is just so ridiculous, and I continue to hear it in so many films. Otherwise, Lola Versus is fun, quirky and over the top regarding sex,and her seemingly self loathing actions. The other characters are also really strange and quirky, but I think that is what makes it a decent film. It's like, we all know someone like them, albeit not quite so dramatic. There is a lot of irony in this film and some of the scenes are similar to the humor in Napolean Dynamite (which I loved), so that is not a bad thing. So, overall, funny film. If they could only edit out the deaf-mute part, it would be even better!

I don't understand why this film was made.

Author: daniel_buehler from Germany
5 December 2012

I can't complain about the camera work or the acting. While I didn't particularly enjoy them, nothing really struck me as bad in those departments.

The characters premise seemed to be one of emotional immaturity (whether prevalent or circumstantial), and with that in mind at least all behaved in understandable manners.

The problem is: I don't quite get why this was made into a movie. It was a pain to watch all the self-destructive behavior (most of it on the main characters side). It's a film about the usual average drama that happens in real life and no mitigating qualities to it. I tried to come up with reasons why anyone would want to see this movie, I could not come up with a reason.

No need to run, Lola

Author: Rubens Junior from Brazil
5 September 2012

I may understand why Lola Versus is being so underrated, because it's an atypical romantic comedy. A simple, subtle and sometimes naive one when showing a character struggling to repair herself after a traumatic breakup 3 weeks before her wedding with the man she planned to build her entire life with.

So it's completely normal go thru hard times after a situation like that, and always find ourselves in between moments of euphoria and distress, typical symptoms of the dysthymia suffered by any one after the end of a relationship. Her friends, Alice (Zoe Lister Jones) and Henry (Hammish Linklater), will do anything to support her and show other perspectives about the new situation, but every single help seems not enough and will be going thru all the pain that she will finally get self redemption.

After the subtlety of (500) Days Of Summer (2009), people rediscovered what a good romantic comedy means. Lola Versus does not have the same warm appeal or a character that arouses so much compassion like Marc Webb's movie, but it follows the same style when showing human suffering in its purest way, and also the mistakes and flaws attached when overcoming a great disappointment in life. We all had Lola's days and have already been versus the world too at least once in our lives, and this movie couldn't be any more sincere when simply showing all those mixed feelings when you have been caught by surprise like she has. It's easy fall for sympathy for the character and all her anxiety, anguish, confusion and that constant heart pain that is never physically felt but is there somewhere.

It's an uncommon movie and completely different from what we usually see, that's why it may seems uninspired or out of the line, but only who knows what it takes to get the pieces together may understand all the process Lola is going thru, her recovering, her back and forth, and griefs drowned into alcohol and meaningless sex.

A motivating, heartwarming and inspiring movie that develops itself together with the character's step by step progress, with an amazing soundtrack, great dialogs and charismatic characters that are unintentionally funny. For sure is not a movie that will make people talk a lot about or fully understand it at first, but certainly a faithful reproduction of the inner pain, confusion and how people can be so foolish wasting energy trying to repair something that only time heals.

Better appreciated by those who someday were against the world too and exactly know how Lola feels.