IMDb > Joyful Noise (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

Worth Seeing

Author: bwayluver from United States
14 January 2012

I originally had no interest in seeing it. The reviews were bad, the trailer looked just 'ok'. But a friend of mine wanted to see it and asked me to come along. Why not?

I'm glad I went. It was very enjoyable. It's not a masterpiece, but is a light hearted feel good movie featuring some very talented singers. Although the plot was relatively simple, it worked well and was easy to follow. The relationship with Queen Latifah's character and her family was touching and emotional. I found myself tapping my feet to the music and wiping away tears at the end.

So when I looked it up on IMDb and saw a 3.4, I was quite confused. I thought it would be in the 6,7 range. I don't understand.

If your looking for a fun enjoyable movie, see this. Ignore the rating and reviews. Guaranteed to leave with a smile on your face.

A Feel Good Movie!!

Author: simplyjanise from United States
15 January 2012

I liked the movie a lot. I've always loved both Dolly Pardon and Queen Latifah. I don't know who thought to put those two together but for my money, it worked. Yes, Dolly has had a lot of work done. SO WHAT? She's a sweetheart and still feisty! The plot has some definite misses, it was predictable and cheesy at times, but it was fun! Yes it was a bit of a "Sister Act 2" combined with "Footloose" rip off but again I say: SO WHAT?? I enjoyed the movie. Is it going to win an academy award? Nope. But it was nice way to spend an afternoon. It had me dancing in my seat and left me feeling good. And that's exactly what I wanted it to do. We have a winner!!

Not nearly so bad as some of the reviews might lead you to believe

Author: mrsluggy2001 from United States
15 January 2012

Yes, the script was mighty thin in places and tried to tackle way too many subjects in too short a period of time (the poor economy, marriage struggles, death, teenage angst/rebellion, teenage love, etc., etc.), but despite its flaws this movie provided some fine musical entertainment, and pretty much delivered on its goal of being an uplifting movie-going experience.

I attended this movie with my senior citizen mom and my tween daughter, and all of us found some things to enjoy about this flick. There were some laughs, some moving plot points, some great musical numbers, and some fine performances, particularly on the part of the younger cast members. Some days you are just looking for some softball, "feel good" entertainment rather than a darker or more weighty film. This movie fits the bill if you're in the mood for some harmless, mostly mindless, fluffy entertainment.

Worth checking out!

Author: nybroadus
13 January 2012

I enjoyed this movie with my 12 year old son and 17 year old daughter. The gospel music and contemporary pop made it appealing to all ages. The movie was funny and not too heavy but delivered a good wholesome message. Dolly has been a long time favorite of mine and I had almost forgotten how funny she can be. The entire family could take away a message of hope from Joyful Noise. Who knew Queen Latifia could sing so beautifully? This is an all star cast of talented young people with a witty twist and a great upbeat mood from start to finish.

I would suggest seeing this movie with someone who could use a good laugh!

Great! A must see for Dolly Parton and Queen Latifah fans!

Author: msosment from United States
14 January 2012

Storyline was a bit familiar, but it is presented in a new, fresh way. There is a strong main storyline and other small background stories which link back to it. The stories are touching and show great sensitivity. Very well played. Even though it takes place in the south, there is a rich diversity in the movie. It paints a lovely picture of the new south. Dolly Parton is charming as always. Queen Latifah is perfect in this role. They play off each other beautifully. Kiki Palmer and Jeremy Jordan are fantastic and fresh. The singing and choreography are top notch. Constant flowing entertainment. Never a dull moment. Well worth my time and money.

An old-fashioned "feel-good" movie - and there's nothing wrong with that!

Author: Scooter B from United States
26 January 2012

I went with friends to see JOYFUL NOISE, the film starring Queen Latifah and Dolly Parton. What can I say about it?

Predictable? Yep.

Formulaic? For the most part.

Manipulative? Definitely! One particular segment had me sobbing in my seat.

But the music rocked. The film also had unexpected flashes of humor that were laugh-out-loud funny. Though it wasn't a masterpiece (for one thing, editing was sloppy in places), I enjoyed it and thought it was well worth seeing.

Dolly Parton and Queen Latifah provide an enjoyable cast of musical talents in Joyful Noise

Author: tavm from Baton Rouge, LA
15 January 2012

Just watched this movie with my movie theatre-working friend. This is a musical drama with the leads of Queen Latifah and Dolly Parton in conflict over the budding romance of Latifah's teenage daughter and Parton's just-arrived troubled similar-aged grandson. Well, actually there's also the matter of the just deceased choir master played briefly by Kris Kristofferson and Latifah replacing him...I'll just say that while the story and characterizations are just devices to hang musical numbers into, they're enjoyably slight enough that one does feel some connections to them when they're showcased. All I'll say now is I had a pretty good time watching Joyful Noise especially when the Big Final Number came on. So, yeah, that's a recommendation.

Great mix of music and comedy.

Author: chipzehnder from United States
8 January 2012

an awesome mix of comedy and music it has a very glee feel to it and Dolly is in top form as is Queen Latifah though they are over shadowed at times by the younger stars. Touching at times and funny too! Jeremy Jordan is best known for the musical Newsies and he adds an enhance essence to the movie. yes at times there is corn in the comedy but you have to expect that with Dolly. This is a great family film if i was rating this as a family film it would get a 10+. The musical numbers are awesome with Kirk Franklin in the cast who could go wrong? Keke Palmer is just awesome as Latifahs daughter. And Jeremy Jordan is a gem as Dollys Grandson "Randy" Take your family or your girlfriend a great time will be had by all!!

The Gospel According to Latifah and Parton

Author: Chris_Pandolfi from Los Angeles, CA
13 January 2012

"Joyful Noise" is a harmless, well-intentioned movie that was clearly made with no goal in mind apart from being uplifting. It's easy to see why the critical response has been largely negative; in its innocence, it leaves many questions unanswered, whitewashes a number of harsh realities, and repeatedly sidesteps plausibility for the sake of entertainment. While I cannot argue with these observations, and while the film is ultimately too flawed and predictable for me to recommend it, I'm not inclined to be ruthless. Writer/director Todd Graff has his heart in the right place. And because the subject is a gospel choir, he treats us to a number of well-arranged musical interludes that showcase some real talent. Regardless of whether the songs are Christian, pop, or country, passion pours off of the screen each and every time.

The plot, while paper-thin, is easily understood and admirable in its efforts to be inspiring. Taking place in a small Georgia town hard hit by the economy, it begins with the sudden death of Bernard Sparrow (Kris Kristofferson), the choir director for the local church. Chosen as his replacement is choir member and second in command Vi Rose Hill (Queen Latifah), who makes ends meet as a registered nurse. Bernard's widow, G.G. (Dolly Parton), who's well off and one of the church's major benefactors, believes she should have been chosen as the next choir director, as she too is a member and believes it's what her husband would have wanted. She's not the bitter type, so if you're thinking she becomes evil and vindictive, you've got another thing coming.

Because times are tough, and because the choir has consistently lost in the national Joyful Noise gospel competition, the program is under constant threat of being cut. If they can finally win this year, it would give the people of their small community something to believe in. The stern Pastor Dale (Courtney B. Vance) wants their music selection to reflect the traditional gospel style. So too does Vi. G.G., on the other hand, has come to believe that a more contemporary sound will give them an edge. This puts both women at odds with one another, which isn't all that shocking since they were never the best of friends to begin with. There are many reasons for this, although it seems a combination of class division and their own egos are the major contributing factors. The film never wastes an opportunity to show how headstrong they both are; Vi is a hardworking single mom resistant to change, whilst G.G. can't go five minutes without dispensing an obscure Southern proverb.

There's another, more character-driven side to the story, although that doesn't prevent it from being just as conventional and easy to see through. Vi is the mother of two teenagers. Her son, Walter (Dexter Darden), has Asperger's syndrome, a trait that's likely to divide audiences as it's debatable how seriously Graff takes it. He provides Walter with reliably odd personality quirks, such as constantly wearing sunglasses, spontaneous singing, a repulsion to being touched, an inability to tell whether or not someone is joking, and a superfluous mental database of one-hit wonders (none of which, he informs us, can be found in gospel music). He also makes Walter keenly aware of his personality defects; at one point, he tearfully admits that he's angry at God for making him the way he is.

Her daughter is sixteen-year-old Olivia (Keke Palmer), who's at just the right age to start acting out. She doesn't sleep around or become an addict. She does, however, begin hanging around with G.G.'s rebellious and outgoing teenage grandson, Randy (Jeremy Jordan), who has returned to Georgia from New York after his mother kicked him out. While his past is never revealed to the audience, it seems he has a reputation for being a bad kid. Vi disapproves of him, which will inevitably create friction between her and Olivia. Our instincts have already told us that he's not bad, but has merely had a tougher time of it than others and is at heart decent. He will join the choir and, with his amazing singing voice, prove himself instrumental in pushing for a new sound that will hopefully win them the upcoming competition in Los Angeles.

I mentioned earlier that I wasn't inclined to be ruthless. I'm still not inclined, although I do feel it necessary to point out a few of the more overt missteps in "Joyful Noise." It's established that Olivia's father (Jesse L. Martin) is a military man who was forced to rejoin the army after losing his job. While Olivia is willing to see past this, Vi clings to the misguided belief that he knowingly abandoned her. I would wager that, if he stayed in town as an unemployed man, she would resent him even more. In addition, we have a small subplot involving two choir members who fall for each other; apart from the fact that both are one-note typecasts, their story is so unfunny and badly strung together that it actually ruins part of the final scene, which had the potential to be very sweet. Finally, we have a painfully contrived scene in which Vi and G.G. get into a slapstick catfight at a restaurant. If there's one thing a movie like this doesn't need, it's two grown women acting like children.

-- Chris Pandolfi (www.atatheaternearyou.net)

It's Contrived, but Feels Good All the Same

Author: wcameronmartin from Seattle, WA
30 December 2012

My review of the Joyful Noise Movie: Every single solitary, gimmicky, tired, old, wore-out, overdone movie cliché that's ever been used in any contrived, family-targeted movie in the history of cinema... and yet, the music was solid, the characters given some genuinely funny material to work with, and therefore there are worse ways to spend 90 minutes of your life. It was fantastic to hear new material from one of my favorite vocalists and lyricists, Dolly Parton... but it was worth the ticket price alone, to see Dolly "poppin' and lockin' for Jesus!"

...and I am personally convinced, beyond the shadow of any doubt, that Dolly Parton was manufactured by Jim Henson's Creature Shop.

~ <3