IMDb > "Regular Show" (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Regular Show"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Regular Show" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Anything But

Author: TobiasTJones from Aruba
10 October 2010

The other reviewer mentioned complaining to his friends about how cartoons these days on CN suck.

I have a similar situation; I complain to everyone who will listen about how basically EVERYTHING on TV nowadays sucks.

Of course that's a slight overstatement, but I literally stopped watching TV because I can't stand comedies these days. I loved Seinfeld, and that's about the "latest" show I watched.

When I saw the trailer for Adventure Time, I watched it, and I was pretty pleased. Through that, I found out about Regular Show, and I was ecstatic.

The center of the plot is an age-old one; two buddies getting into hi-jinx for a number of mind-numbing reasons. This show pulls that off really well, and there are so many moments in each 11 minute show that make me go "OOOOOOOOOOOOOOH!" (and yes, I wave my right hand wildly) that I can actually watch any given episode numerous times.

If you feel like most of the shows you like get canceled, and that most of the stuff on TV today (especially most sitcoms) is really lacking in the funny, I have a feeling you'd probably like Regular Show.

Brilliant. Completely.

Author: rbbwmn from United States
20 April 2011

I could not disagree more with the prior review. I find this show to be intelligent, pointed and (most importantly) hilarious. It pushes the bounds of traditional comedy, taking mundane situations and turning them into surreal adventures that actually challenge the notions of traditional story telling. The animation is crisp and playful with a certain joy that is hard to describe. And the odd universe it creates is one I am dying to live in. While the two main characters and their closest associates are all creatures/animals of various sorts, the rest of the world is recognizably human. This adds a mood of "outsider" to the adventures that makes them all the more clearly satire and farce.

It is, I will agree, pretty raw stuff. There are jokes about sex and drinking and on and on. Some of the imagery is damn scary. So, okay, it isn't for kids. So what? Why should it be?

Rated PG!

Author: koyasu_kudou from United States
7 July 2011

Regular Show is a fitting title for a program that takes ordinary chores, such as preparing hot dogs, setting up chairs or cleaning a rain gutter and exaggerating the consequences of not performing said chores correctly. The main characters are a couple of slackers in their twenties who live only for the moment, even if that means getting fired. They constantly get into trouble due to their irresponsibility, but always manage to end up on top through some hilarious twist.

That said...

Regular Show is rated PG, not G, not Y7. Every time I read a negative review for this show, someone is whining about how Cartoon Network should feel ashamed for making such a vulgar children's program. Newsflash, just because it's a cartoon doesn't mean it's for kids. Family Guy has already proved that. There is a warning ahead of time that underage viewers require parental guidance, PG. Personally, I'd say it's about as raunchy as Ren and Stimpy or Rocko's Modern Life and Rocko was very, very raunchy, hence the deletion of certain scenes during re-runs. And who can forget Chokey Chicken, hm? If you're a grown up, give it a chance. If you're a grown up with kids who wanna watch it, consider their age and go from there. And if you do end up loving this show, you'll be telling "my mom" jokes in no time.

Can I get an "OOOOHH!" from everybody else who is addicted to this show? And remember to raise your right arm while you do it.

Such a funny show

Author: Joshua Glowzinski from United States
25 October 2010

I saw the preview of this a few months before it was on. I was excited when I finally fiosed it and got to watch. It is so funny and simple to understand. Once you watch an episode or two you can almost tell what the main characters are going to do in when things happen. They are easy to like and laugh with. I was born in 85 and I have not been as excited about a cartoon in a long time. Go cartoon network go. I also like the new scooby doo cartoon as well as tower prep. Cartoon network is making great shows that people of any age can enjoy. It is good to know that shows are being made that families can watch together. So, go watch!!!!

Great Cartoon!!!

Author: Kuristofa99 from United States
16 February 2011

Plane and Simple, this cartoon is hilarious. If you've always wanted a cartoon that's kind of like the Hangover and Due Date, then this is perfect for you. First off, I've been buying every episode as soon as it's released on the PS3. Second, this cartoon came from a College project. Yes that's right, this cartoon was created from two project's that J.G. Quintel made for College (Two in the AMPM/Naive man in Lolliland). Third, this is not for kids, this is the cartoon to please those who loved the nineties cartoon network shows. The trailer was hilarious, not because they said "Crotch", but for the hilariousness off it. When I saw the episode, they get a keyboard that does everything and go to the moon. This is all in fifteen minutes and everything is crazy. So, let's recap. The cartoon was created from a college project, the cartoon is about guys in their twenties, and everything makes no sense. Also, a cartoon that gets about 2 million viewers per premiere episode, so obviously people like it and it's doing something right.

The Best Show on Air Right Now!

Author: Cakesniffer13 from Seattle, WA
12 April 2011

This is a really hilarious show...duh. I feel like I shouldn't even have to point that out. When I watch the show, I feel like "it's funny...because it's true", you know what I mean? I just hope it doesn't go downhill the way some animated shows do. For instance, Spongebob Squarepants is a (children's) show that has a lot of crazy stuff happening in it, and then the makers of the show began to take the craziness too far (they pretty much milked it to death), and suddenly it just seemed not funny anymore. Everything moved too fast, and for little reason. The humor changed. I worry that a similar fate awaits Regular Show, because it happens to so many others. But if they keep making the show the way they do now, then they'll be fine. And maybe I'll even have my family play Regular Show in the mourning room at my funeral. Anyway, they're aren't a lot of shows reasonably directed at teenagers- you know, teenagers? The people between the stages of childhood and adulthood?- so this show is epic in that sense. It's also epic in all it's other senses.

Not for kids, but still a total gem.

Author: psypeterson from Canada
15 August 2011

What do Monster Squad, Loverboy, Sylvester Stallone, Back to the Future, Bruce Campbell, 80s Hair Metal, and The Crying Game all have in common? They all have been a punchline, set-up, or reference in Regular Show.

To get to brass tacks, this show is hilarious. A blend of slacker- humour and surreal plot lines, Regular Show is recommended viewing for all mature cartoon audiences. It tackles moral dilemmas without being preachy, it uses "random" humour in a way which drives the plot to non- random outcomes, and its light enough on its mature themes that it can nail a safe PG rating (maybe PG 13 if you're one of those conservative types).

However; where Regular Show really shines is in its total awareness of what makes adults who grew up in the 80s and 90s tear up and laugh out loud all at once: Nostalgia. One major example of this is an entire episode which is a parody of (and indeed, named) Over the Top. Another example is the constant montages set to old tunes from decades past, such as Hang Tough and Workin' for the Weekend. Even better are the tiny references which most people under 25 wouldn't get, and hold screen time for mere moments before you're left wondering "Hey, didn't I see that scene in Logan's Run?".

As I said, this cartoon is not for kids, but not because its racy and sometimes inappropriate. It isn't for kids because the funniest jokes are made for guys like me: 25 - 40 year old geeks who can pick out the references, and appreciate the parodies. For this reason alone I love this show, but even then it can still stand up on its own as an entertaining cartoon.

EDIT: Since the time of this writing, I have witnessed a They Live reference, the Death Star with sunglasses, and a scene where the characters go on an "acid trip" (they eat a concoction of spicy foods and then start tripping out) set to the tune of Mississippi Queen. This show just got even better.

J. G. Quintel !! A Very Satisfying Show That Delivers!!

Author: gigan-92 from United States
6 January 2011

J. G. Quintel, who many of you may know from The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack, delivers a new show that is truly hilarious. Recovering from a few truly putrid shows, such as the despicable "Hero 108", Cartoon Network has released this show, with many a good reason to watch. Firstly, spectacular voice cast. J. G. Quintel himself voices Mordecai, and William Salyers voices Rigby, his best friend. Mark Hamill (!!) is Skips, the duo's close friend. The rest of the cast is just so great at being their characters, no joke. These characters are the first in awhile to feel very real to me, with truth be told humor aimed at maybe slightly older kids, but I believe it's for the best. It's nowhere near vulgar, as some try to suggest, just good humor in general.

The artwork is pretty good, and the story lines are easy to get and guaranteed to be pretty damn funny!!I can see this how is destined to becomes one of the classics, while bringing in several new traits that make it its own.

Too funny--for the kids and for me

Author: Chanda D. from Texas
3 June 2011

I actually have been one of those mothers disheartened by the lack of innocence in modern children's programming, and as a conservative parent restricted a lot of what my kids watched when they were younger. They weren't watching Spongebob or the Cartoon Network stuff when other kids their age were.

When my boy got to be around 6, I realized that his taste for what is funny changed--you know, to that of a normal 6-year-old boy. He had outgrown the purely educational and innocent Nick Jr. shows, and he enjoyed programming that was simply entertaining. And honestly it would just be weird if my 7-8 year old boy was into The Wonder Pets. It's a fact that gross stuff, outrageous animation (like huge eyeballs and squashed heads), injurious antics, and indulgent silliness is just funny to most kids. Ed, Edd, n Eddy is a favorite of my kids for these reasons. It doesn't mean that the kids who watch these kinds of shows are going to become more crude and obnoxious as a result. They just want to laugh at silly stuff, and as kids that's what they should be doing!

So enter Regular Show: the characters are all entertaining and the unique brand of humor makes it a hit with kids and adults. Even the parts aimed more at adults that the kids don't "get" are still funny to them by way of expression and delivery. The writing and quirkiness of the characters is brilliant. My 6-year-old daughter loves High Five Ghost, my husband loves Muscle Man, my 9-year-old son loves Rigby, and I love all the characters. I would advise people not to dismiss the show as vulgar and inappropriate too soon and give it more of a chance. It's one that my whole family enjoys together.

Surprisingly good

Author: Rectangular_businessman from Peru
8 October 2011

I think that, along with "Phineas and Ferb", "Regular Show" is one of the most promising cartoons from the recent years.

At first, its seems just like any other of the strange animations that Cartoon Network have been showing in the recent years (Such as "Chowder", "Flapjack" or "The Amazing World of Gumball") but, personally, I think that "Regular Show" goes beyond than anything delivered by those cartoons that I previously mentioned, being stranger, but at the same time, funnier and more enjoyable.

I think that is because of the characters, which are way more likable and developed than the typical "trouble-makers" that tend to appear in most of the animated shows from the recent years: Sure, the two main characters, Mordecai and Rigby, aren't exactly role-models, but they have many positive characteristics that made them more complex, instead of being one-dimensional stereotypes. That's the greatest virtue from this series and something that makes this show pleasant, despite all the strangeness of it.

I liked the way in which this series includes subtle (Sometimes, not so subtle) hints of more mature humor, making this cartoon interesting for kids and adults as well. I also liked the fact that the comedy of this series is more focused in the situations and the personality of the characters, instead of using gross jokes or dumb cultural references.

The first and the second season from "Regular Show" were very good. I hope that the rest of the series keep the same level of quality.

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]