IMDb > Dragon Age: Dawn of the Seeker (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Cheesy, but not quite terrible

Author: Archlicht from Colorado, USA
7 June 2012

Being a big fan of the first game, Dragon Age: Origins, I was intrigued by the idea of a feature-length film set in the same universe. Unfortunately, this movie was closer in quality to Dragon Age 2. Which I suppose I should have expected, given that EA isn't separating themselves from Bioware any time soon.

But I digress. Dawn of the Seeker consists of some decent action scenes interspersed with mostly predictable plot twists and one-liners. The 3D cel-shaded animation style works at times, but at others can confuse what is happening on screen, or look somewhat shoddy. The characters' mouth movements don't quite match the dialog, but that's sure to be a product of the Japanese dubbing rather than the animation itself.

There were plenty of times while watching that I thought about just stopping the movie and leaving to do something else, but the story and setting transitioned just often enough to keep me going. Now that I've seen it once, however, I can say with confidence that I don't need to see it ever again. It was passable, but there are any number of better anime series/movies out there that you can turn to for better action scenes. Same goes for the story.

My recommendation for anyone who is a big fan of the Dragon Age universe, meaning both games, is to rent it. Certainly not worth a buy. For anyone else: skip it outright.

R.P.G gamer review

Author: hduality from Argentina
5 June 2012

I will try to make a point here, I'm not an English speaker but i will do my best. As a big r.p.g. game fan, from Baldur's Gate till Dragon age Origins, I have to say that i didn't like this movie. I didn't expected much, the animation is OK, and the voices are somehow realistic. But the rest is a huge flaw, specially the characters and the story. Let me give you an example: Mages in this movie don't use magic to fight.... they fight hand to hand against knights!! Another example are the enemies, like the Ogres and Golems which are shown barely weak , slow(ogre) and fragile. I seriously doubt that the people involve in this movie knew the characters types and the context.

What a letdown.

Author: jaakko-tranberg from Finland
7 June 2012

One point for visuals and voice acting, kinda.. Everything else is pretty much crap.

Main heroine Cassandra comes out as an annoying brat, not heroic.

Mages, in this movie, are completely useless in fights and that includes blood mages as well, while in the games they were the real death dealers. I mean, if one little girl (Main heroine) can kill dozens of blood mages in a few minutes - alone -, why there is so much worry about those evil blood mages in the Dragon age universe in the first place? As an added retard bonus, mages are using staves in fights instead of magic.

Writing is just awfully dull, uninspired and predictable.

I recommend this movie to no one.

A wasted opportunity.

Author: Canadyan from Canada
7 July 2012

I'm a pretty huge Dragon Age fan, including playing the games and all their DLC, reading the books and just finished watching the online movie/mini series Redemption and Warden's Fall.

This one was pretty bad guys. I actually liked the style of animation, that type of judgement just comes from a person's taste though. As for story... nothing you haven't seen before in anything else. I was fine with it, even forgiving and liked learning about the main protagonist (Cassandra from DA2) up until the movie just started changing Dragon Age lore.

The mages were ridiculous. They continued the already established lore of Templar's wanting to "confine" all mages due to their very powerful magic, except with the exception of one mage, they were all worthless. There are fight scenes with multiple mages and all they do is swing a staff at people. At Templar's. Templar's wearing full plate armor, with shields, who are trained specifically to destroy mages. Yet, half the time, the mages aren't losing these battles. And these aren't even Blood Mages! How someone thought this made any sense is beyond me.

Another huge issue with this movie is a ridiculous scene about halfway through involving Cassandra. Anyone who has ever touched Dragon Age Origins knows that Ogre's and Golem's are some of the toughest opponents to take down, involving a party of characters with different skill sets to defeat. Yet, Cassandra takes on about 20 of these creatures by herself without anything other than a cut on her leg to show for it.

If that isn't enough to make any Dragon Age fan stare at the screen utterly confused, the climax of the movie involves the writers just throwing in Dragons. Like five of them just showing up to get slaughtered by - yep, you guessed it - Cassandra. She's apparently from a clan of "Dragon Hunters" which is ironic because according to Dragon Age lore, Dragon's are almost never around, making that sound like a pretty useless clan. However, her elite Dragon Hunting skills of "jumping on the back of a dragon and stabbing it," seems to be the only thing needed to fell one of the beasts, making it an interesting thought as to why no other person could easily call themselves a Dragon Hunter and do the same thing.

If you're a big Dragon Age fan, go for it, but don't expect to fit this thing into Dragon Age lore (even though Bio-ware claims it is), because this character of Cassandra, who starts with an interesting back story quickly develops into the most far fetched character in the Dragon Age lore.

I recommend checking out Warden's Fall on you tube though, pretty neat mini series and definitely more deserving of your time than this.

Don't waster your time

Author: pateitter1 from United States
6 June 2012

This is just terrible. I like the genre and knew that this was going to be a video game movie, but even with low expectations I was still disappointed. The voice acting is uninspired, the animation like a bad video game cut scene and the plot is....pathetic. They must have spent all of 8 minutes writing this. This felt like a 8 year old wrote it. I know that people put effort into making this and I feel bad about criticizing someone else's work, but even given that, I still can't recommend you watch this movie. I can't recommend anyone watch this movie.

Don't waste your time.

Watch something else...anything else.

I expected more...

Author: Drakkonys from Croatia
9 June 2012

As a huge fan of RPG games, especially Dragon Age, watching this movie was a complete waste of time. The main focus of the movie seems to be Cassandra in a role of superhero, dragon-hunter, demon-slayer, master- fighter, despite the the alleged focus of a blood mage uprising or whatever. On top of that, mages and blood mages alike run around in their robes engaging in hand-to-hand combat instead of using magic. Dragons are poorly animated and, with the exception of the high dragon, don't have the ability to breathe fire. The rest of the movie seems pretty well animated, in my opinion. Were I 14 years old again, I'd say this was a good movie, but now... I just want the hour and a half of my life back.

Excellent anime that stays true to the Dragon Age universe

Author: spelledarn from Sweden
1 May 2013

Dragon Age: Blood of the Seeker is something as rare as dark fantasy that doesn't devolve into the stale, predictable realm of antiheroes. There's little depth here, but it is a an entertaining action-fantasy movie that'll keep you entertained.

The story follows Cassandra, an elite warrior of the Chantry of the Maker, who gets involved in a conspiracy involving threats to the Chantry from both within and without. Without spoiling the story too much, the characters are refreshingly sincere, devoted, yet flawed.

A personal pet peeve of mine in modern movies is the tendency to focus ridiculous amounts of time on the background of the antagonist, i.e. why he/she became the unpleasant individual you see before you today. Thankfully this is avoided here.

The animations and the rotoscoped background scenery was impressive. The voice acting is above average, but nothing that blew me away. The dialog was pretty good for an anime, but don't expect the King's Speech with swords. The music was for me the weak point, as there were no particularly memorable themes.

In some ways, despite the very modern computer generated animation and dark fantasy themes based on the Dragon Age world, Dawn of the Seeker has a distinct old school feel to it.

So a word of warning. If you're the type of viewer who prefer your fantasy stuck in a quagmire of black-and-gray morality as per God of War or A Game of Thrones, you will come away disappointed. There is no rape, no drawn out torture scenes, and honor is a strength, not a weakness. Likewise if you expect the movie to be some sort of angry rant against the dangers of organized religion, you're better off watching Cristopher Hitchens on Youtube than a Japanese fantasy anime.

All in all, it is a great dark fantasy movie with violent, entertaining action and likable characters and just enough plot twists to keep it from being boring. :)

Nothing overly impressive here...

Author: Paul Magne Haakonsen from Denmark
15 December 2012

Not being overly familiar with the Dragon Age games, I didn't really have any prerequisites for this movie, so I just took it for what it was a sword and magic fantasy animated adventure.

That being said, then the movie was sort of cliché. Sure, in a fantasy movie you need to have the stereotypical good against evil plot, which is also present here, but it is also spiced up with a sub-plot of betrayal and deception.

The characters in the movie were mediocre at best. You didn't really get to see any interesting characteristics of anyone, as they were shallow and sort of just flashy in and out of everything. Not even the two main characters were given proper character traits or personalities. At best, then you get annoyed with the Cassandra character because she is single-minded, narrow-minded, naive and sort of a brat. For a Seeker, then she is awfully childish in her mindset and seem so far away from being properly capable of taking on such a responsibility.

As for the voice acting, well it was adequate. At times it worked out well enough, but at other times it could have used a bit more commitment and passion.

Now, what really worked for the movie was the visuals. The characters were nicely animated, even though they had a hint of bordering on being in the Anime genre. The costumes and armors were really nicely detailed and quite nice to look at. However, something I personally didn't understand, was the alternate usage of a sort of weird hybrid mixture of animation and CGI for the characters, but using full-blown, all out CGI for the dragons and scenery. It was a mixture that often didn't fully stand well together. Personally, I think they should just have picked one style of visuals and stuck with it. Now, I am not saying that it is bad to look at, far from it, because to their own, they are quite stunning. Just a weird combination of attempting to mix styles together (which also failed in that "Dead Space" animated movie).

Another thing that stuck out like a sore thumb was the overpowered abilities of Cassandra. If she truly was all that powerful and capable in battle, why did they need circle mages for the fight with the dragons, or how come she wasn't at the top of the Seeker order? That leader was so easily bested and cut down, that it was just painful to behold, especially since Cassandra possess these skills and prowess in combat.

Despite a heap of things that just didn't fully add up, "Dragon Age: Dawn of the Seeker" was fun enough to just. Just take it for what it is, a fantasy adventure (of mixed visual styles) that doesn't require any thinking on your part. If you enjoy CGI animated movies, the "Final Fantasy" movies, "Resident Evil: Degeneration" ("Damnation" sucks horribly) or even "Tekken: Blood Vengeance" will prove more entertaining than "Dragon Age: Dawn of the Seeker".

And just for a final rounding up comment; what was up with the music that played when the credits started to roll? It was horrible and so misplaced. What a wrong choice of music to put into a fantasy adventure.

good movie not overly embellished but well polished

Author: dragonsblade8 from Denton, Texas
9 May 2014

This movie is actually one of the best movies i have seen this year. Action is indeed the strong point of the film as is Cassandra in her role as a strong female lead. While the story itself is easy to figure out yet there are deeper meanings to many of the scenes and a few twists that will make you think twice. Many of the reviewers seem to overlook these seeing the film as simple good verses evil completely disregarding the fact that the actions of the few affect many. The character show more growth than those seen in most big budget Hollywood films. It also follows most Dragon Age Lore and at points even adds onto in some points. The style of the animation is actually very well done with a traditional Japanese anime vibe combine with a more western character design. Watching this movie with a moderate knowledge of Dragon Age Lore is advised but not necessary. Overall do not watch it with preconceptions of what it should have been just enjoy what they have done.

So.....who is the target audience?

Author: xamtaro from http://thexamtaroshowvault.blogspot.sg
31 July 2012

The best selling video game series from Bioware gets the CGI anime treatment courtesy of the creative team behind Vexille and To. A semi-prequel to Dragon age 2, "DRAGON AGE: DAWN OF THE SEEKER" Chronicles a pivotal early adventure in the life of Cassandra (a side character NPC within the Dragon Age 2 game).

It is a time of great mistrust across the lands. While the "Chantry" religious order holds power thanks to their Templar forces, there is suspicion of a conspiracy within the leadership. An order known as the "seekers of truth" was formed to act as a check and balance to the power of the Templars. After rescuing a elf girl from rogue blood mages, Cassandra Pentaghast and finds herself embroiled in a clandestine plot when she is framed for treason and murder. It is suspected that some among the Chantry have been secretly aiding the blood mage order. On the run, she finds an unlikely ally in a Circle Mage called Galyan. Despite her hatred of magic users, Cassandra and Galyan must band together to clear her name and weed out the true traitors.

A simple story from the get go, Dragon Age: Dawn of the Seeker makes its first mistake by bogging it down in a lot of backstory. After a full 3 minutes of narration explaining the world of Dragon Age, the various orders, the difference between mage clans, the Chantry etc, it is still rather difficult to follow for most people except those already familiar with the Dragon Age games. Fantasy stories like Lord of the Rings slowly reveal their fantasy world as the audience explore it with the main characters. Dragon Age just throws you right in with a brief explanation. Here is a movie that cannot decide if it wants to be Japanese anime or follow more closely to the original game fighting mechanics. We have scenes of soldiers in full armor fighting like how you would expect knights to fight. Both feet on the ground, sword to attack, shield to block. Then you have Cassandra wielding dual swords, charging, leaping and kung-fu-ing IN FULL ARMOR in your typical over-the-top Japanese anime fashion. Suspension of disbelief can only be take so far when there is no explanation at all for Cassandra's superhuman abilities.

This brings us to the aforementioned action scenes and the overall visual standard of the film. The actual designs and detailing within scenes is breathtaking considering the show's modest budget. Lighting, reflections and other effects are rather good. The only downfall is in the animation of the characters themselves. Hair flop around in clumps like thick wet noodles, creatures and animals in motion have an unnatural stiffness to them. Motion Capture seems to be used for some scenes to animated the human characters and these show very smooth and fluid motion. The faster paced and more over-the-top combat scenes however seem to be key framed and that's where the character movements are stiff, jerky and unnatural. Closeups and jittery camera effects, along with the cel shading, help to hide all those technical shortcomings. Nonetheless, the keen eye can pick those flaws out easily.

Like the animation, the characters are also hit and miss. While the show does showcase some excellent vocal performances, some of the voice actors seem to struggle with keeping their accents consistent. Colleen Clinkenbeard especially delivers a passionate rendition of Cassandra's fiery personality. Sadly she cannot decide if Cassandra is American, British or Italian. Switching to the Japanese audio does not help matters as some roles seem miscast (Cassandra sounds too young) and the seiyuu are generally over-acting their parts. Inconsistency also extends to the soundtrack which switches between Gothic inspired medieval melodies and modern electronic riffs.

Pretty much every good aspect of Dragon Age: Dawn of the Seeker has a counterpoint. The story is engaging, the dialogue is snappy, the acting is solid. Yet the convoluted backstory and slipping accents weight down those assets. A lot of attention was paid to crafting and designing the characters and CGI sets yet little effort was put into actually animating the characters. Visually, this movie looks exactly like 2004's "Appleseed"(a science fiction CGI movie that used similar cel shading techniques). When your movie looks only as good as something from 8 years ago, either technology has come to a standstill or CGI animators are getting lazy.

This show could have been so much more. A skilled writer could have turned this into a witty jab at the ancient Church's power during the middle ages, or even a jab at religious extremism and zealotry. Alas, those would forever remain lost opportunities. It's mediocre visuals, needlessly complex narrative and reliance on backstory might alienate all audiences. Even fans of the game might be turned off by the weak portrayal of enemies like Ogres and how different Cassandra looks here compared to her in-game appearance. What could have been an animated fantasy epic with brains ends up as a run-of-the-mill excuse to cash in on the name of a video game.