IMDb > The Last Days on Mars (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Last Days on Mars

The Last Days on Mars More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 17:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Smells like cold french fries, but with a mysterious aftertaste.

Author: Horse_Caulk from United Kingdom
2 November 2013

This film is as mediocre as hell. It just doesn't get any more "meh" than this.

However, a more interesting topic for debate is, how did this ever leave the launch pad in the first place? It's the sort of well-trodden path that usually ends up on a cable channel with actors you've never heard of. Yet, that isn't the case here. How did they get so many quality actors in such a late-night TV-grade film?

To be fair, there isn't actually anything truly monumentally wrong with it. Cept, it's a few decades too late. More than a few. Even as an 80's film, it still might have been criticized as being derivative and having not an ounce of originality. And yet this is a brand spanking new film right off the showroom floor.

Again I ask, how???

I imagine the story behind the making/funding/casting of this film will be entertaining to watch, if such bonus material is made available.

But as for the film itself, "Tired" isn't a strong enough term. The themes in this film are beaten down to a tiny nub on the pimpled backside of a stereotype's soggy bum. So for the third time I how how???

It's a film that just doesn't make sense. And it's based on a short story from a guy whose last writing credit is from 1986, and directed by a guy who's never directed a feature film.

For the fourth time, HOW????

I must find out more. The questions are far more fascinating and potentially entertaining than the film was. Did the producers blackmail these very qualified actors? Was there £7,000,000 which absolutely had to be spent before the end of the quarter to ensure future funding and/or tax benefits?

It's a film which shouldn't exist, but does. With actors who'd normally never be in such a production, but are. Directed and written by people who shouldn't be involved with a major film, but were.

A mystery/enigma/puzzle which must be solved!

Oh God...somewhere a screenwriter is crying!

Author: Rabh17 from United States
3 November 2013

It started off with a nice technocratic elegance. The feel of the props and the sets had a 2001-ish techno-realism that I found pleasing. And even better, the cast of characters: The Coldly Irate Scientist, the Astronaut with the Hidden Fear, the Cowardly Psychologist, the Brave, but Conflicted was all a great set-up for a tension thriller when the crisis would hit. And overall, the photographic sense of realism in the martian landscape was the perfect canvass for a great thinking person's space thriller. I mean, even the acting was great!

But then, back in the Conference Room, someone on the Producer's Committee slammed both hands on the table and shouted: "I put a lot of flinkin' $$$ into this flinkin'' I wanna see ZOMBIES!"

And then everyone else around the table started nodding their heads and muttered: "Zombies is Good", "My kid like Zombies", "Zombies Sell", "Zombies are the KEY Demographic", "Yeah, people pay to see Zombies!", "It's gotta be Zombies this season." "Zombies, I tell ya!"

And the Director threw up his hands and said: "Alright, dammit. Let There Be Zombies!"

And the rest of the movie went FLUSH! Down the drain.

If I wanted to see Zombies on Mars, I woulda watched "Ghosts of Mars"...Again! But I Won't. Because that Movie was a waste of a rental even THEN. And even THEN, the Zombies didn't really make any sense, but it didn't matter because it was all about Ice Cube running around shooting things up.

Here, the Zombies didn't matter because they didn't even TRY to make the concept make Scientific Sense once the Human Zombies (Born of Martian Microbes) started running around naked on the martian surface and blowing things up so they can go: "Om Nom Nom"

Don't PAY to watch this trainwreck in the Theatre. Wait until it streams for free on Hulu...

Pretty decent Sci Fi

Author: eve_dolluk from United Kingdom
7 November 2013

First of all its a low budget Sci Fi but its very well done for its budget.

The premise is there is a team of scientists on Mars carrying out research until they make a discovery that will jeopardise their mission with just a few days left till they return home.

The tension and feeling of the crew going a bit stir crazy is very well done in this film. They also capture the moments of having to make choices very well and this is what drives the film.

Its not the greatest film I have seen but for what it is, its pretty decent. Don't expect loads of action e.t.c as the film is based on tension and mental anguish.

The SFX is actually really good as well as the sets and the backdrops, it does everything that is required to make it realistic enough to enjoy .

I give it a 7 out of 10 and well made effort. xx

Old School Space Story

Author: yourlife from United States
1 November 2013

This movie had a shot at being quite good, only made it to pretty good. It was a bit of a throwback movie from the 50's with better special effects. Performances were good, but the story went from scientific to space horror a tad too quickly.

Liev Schrieber was adequate but his character had no emotion until the very end of the film. Other performers were sort of character actor types and their length of time on the screen was based much on either who is the prettiest or the most foolish.

There was decent suspense early on and a curiosity as to what happened earlier in their lives, but not in the movie and I guess it had played a part in the plot, but with no explanation, it was kind of oddly placed.

It's a decent watch and only killed about 98 minutes, so you won't find it to be a total waste of time. If you watch it with the thoughts of real early science fiction, you can see how it fit into the genre.

Some people may be surprised by the ending or you'll wonder what happened next.

Take the time, enjoy the ride and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised, but not overwhelmed.

Just my thoughts!

A Competent Excercise in the Familiar

Author: amnesiac12001 from United States
22 March 2014

THE LAST DAYS ON MARS is a surprisingly well-made film about things we've already seen before. And that's the charm that makes it worth watching. To begin with, the film is brisk (1 1/2 hours) and doesn't waste much time in telling its story. Even the few moments of quiet contemplation of life/death don't overstay their welcome. The characters don't make stupid decisions, but they do make them with little motivation.

The film is essentially a cross between 28 DAYS LATER and THE THING, but the film is aware of its influences and doesn't try to reinvent the wheel. If anything, it strips them down to the foundation and goes with a simple explanation that feels more believable than 28 DAYS LATER. The film takes the technology seriously without turning it into a spectacle. It kind of reminds me of RED PLANET in that sense, but it doesn't depend on CGI spectacle to lend undeserved importance. The film very simply suggests that the characters be taken as real people who are reacting to the situation in front of them, just on a different planet where the rules of survival are equally alien.

TLDOM is worth watching because of the skill and confidence of the people making it. Perhaps the only thing holding it back from the attention it deserves is that in spite of that skill, it doesn't have anything different to say.

caught me off guard and I liked it

Author: Kohler_Chris-748-672460 from Germany
5 November 2013

I'm generally a fan of Zombie stories and I'm not riding the "I'm so sick of Zombies!"-bandwagon yet. Most Zombie movies are very cheaply made C-Movie trash, so I really appreciate a Zombie movie with high production values and a capable cast with a well known lead. The fact that it caught me off guard and I didn't even know it was a Zombie movie made it even better. From the plot summary I expected the threat to be a more conventional disease, or a alien monster, or some incorporeal force (like in "Sphere") or alien technology, or a crazy crew member. As a Zombie connoisseur I also appreciate that they managed to create a new, intelligent and fast kind of Zombie that is still as creepy and single minded as the classical Romero type. Many other reviewers here criticized the movie as being derivative, but I don't see it. The only other "Space Zombie" movie I know of is "Life Force" and it has pretty much nothing in common with that one. It would have been derivative if the threat would have been one of the other options I listed above. Like I said, I'm not sick of Zombies yet, but I can understand people who are, so I understand how another Zombie movie could put people off, especially one like this that doesn't advertise itself as a Zombie movie and comes out of the left field, but this one is such a rarity with its high production value, the good cast, good acting, suspense, drama and a A List (I think) lead actor who doesn't seem unhappy about being in the movie, as Brad Pit does in "World War Z".

Potential science fiction spoiled by fantasy

Author: doctorcd2005 from Australia
4 November 2013

I expected a scientifically accurate and visually astounding epic akin to "The Red Planet" but instead I got another zombie movie.

What starts well with captivating cinematography and character development, degenerates from inconceivable to impossible when an astronaut collapses inexplicably into a pit and becomes infected with an indigenous bacteria that transforms him into a mindless violent zombie. It somehow is able to breathe the toxic martian atmosphere and is blessed with superhuman strength and predictably proceeds to infect the remaining crew with the same affliction albeit with extreme violence and gore. The infectious pathogen transforms its hosts into zombies and while apparently brain dead can still manage to seemingly work to conspire to intelligently hunt down and kill or infect the remaining crew members, even to the extent of escaping from a compound after being trapped by finding a way to explode the airlock and exit to continue their rampage.

I must admit I am puzzled by the demand for the zombie theme almost as much as I am by the similar fascination for the equally senseless and fatuous vampire theme. I am saddened that this movie fell into the former category.

Ray Donovan fights The Walking Dead on Red Planet

Author: 851222 from Lithuania
10 November 2013

Greetings from Lithuania.

This "straight to DVD" flick is pretty damn good. Of course, it's not Oscar material, but if you are looking for some nice, small "Z" (don't want to spoil) flick in unusual setting - look nowhere else - "The Last Days on Mars" will deliver.

Liev Schreiber stars in unusual for him role, and he's good in this one. If you liked his acting in "Ray Donovan" - you won't be disappointed. Other cast does a nice job (considering the time they spend on screen), especially Olivia Williams. And what i also liked is planet Mars itself. This movie was clearly made in 2013, when everyone knows how Mars looks like - our mechanical explorers in red planet in couple recent years gave opportunity to see this planet. Planet does not look like a planet in "Red Planet" or "Total Recall" (for a reasons i mentioned previously) - "The Last Days on Mars" displays Mars like it is in in reality.

So overall, if you are looking for some nice Sci-Fi / horror flick in unusual setting - "The Last Days on Mars" delivers, just don't expect much, and you won't be disappointed.

Either you like it or you hate it

Author: seularts
4 November 2013

Surprisingly enough I liked this movie, even though I hate Liev Schreiber (third grade actor). Someone did his homework on how not to have too many flows in the script, but even so he made it a bit too transparent and obvious in this way.

The soundtrack is what made me like the movie and the small little details that were placed, with effort I might add, in the background of the story. There are a few flaws here and there, but the acting was OK (a bit indifferent in most cases and with very small doses of emotion), but there were no illogical decisions made and that's how it should be if you are a scientist and know what you are dealing with and have an idea how to deal with, as well.

Also I liked the idea that they didn't use stupid zombies and rather introduced us to a "parasite" that used the host's capabilities (intelligence and memories) to get it's needed resource (water). Even so, they become part of the background and not the main focus of the story, still they made a good impression by adapting, in the sense they ultimately went for human blood, since it contained water.

Also decision making in this movie is done progressively, following certain steps and protocols and not skipping to the fastest and dumbest solution (like holding in the station till help arrives).

I will give credit to this movie (8 out of 10) for the effort it was done to make me be drawn in the action, cause I appreciate the little things, that most movie in our days just don't even seem to care for. But I warn you, it is predictable until the end, unless you like the action and stick to it.

Night of the Living Dead in Mars

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
6 September 2014

The crew of the Tantalus Base is ready to finish the activities in Mars and preparing to return to Earth after a six months mission on the Red Planet. After a sand storm, Commander Charles Brunel (Elias Koteas) summons the team composed by Vincent Campbell (Liev Schreiber), Rebecca Lane (Romola Garai), Kim Aldrich (Olivia Williams), Robert Irwin (Johnny Harris), Marko Petrovic (Goran Kostic), Richard Harrington (Tom Cullen) and Lauren Dalby (Yusra Warsama) for a last meeting. However Marko tells that he needs to fix a sensor and he goes with Harrington in a rover to the place.

The loathed Kim barges into Marko's computer and finds that he has secretly discovered some sort of bacteriological life in Mars. Meanwhile the ground collapses beneath Marko and he falls and dies in a hole. Harrington asks for help and Brunel and Dalby arrive at the spot. Brunel realizes that they need a cargo gear equipment to rescue Marko and Dalby stays at the pit. When they return, Marko and Dalby have vanished and Campbell explores the pit. Meanwhile Marko and Dalby appear at the base and the Martian bacteria have transformed them in zombie-like creatures. They attack Harrington and break in the outpost, attacking the crew. Each one that dies turns into zombie. Will the survivors succeed to escape from the zombies?

"The Last Days on Mars" is a patchwork of several other movies, such as "Alien", "Prometheus" and "Mission to Mars" with "Night of the Living Dead", when a group of survivors is under siege of zombies. The plot has a promising beginning, with an interesting scenario, and good performance of Olivia Williams, but her character dies very soon. The rest is the use of clichés and a predictable story. My vote is five.

Title (Brazil): Not Available