IMDb > Seduced by Lies (2010) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Seduced by Lies (TV) More at IMDbPro »

A guilty pleasure

Author: evening1 from United States
5 August 2013

I found this to be quite entertaining -- for as long as I could stay awake.

Me and my two boys found this Lifetime movie to be more than diverting as we enjoyed our Jacuzzi room in a Chambersburg, Pa., motel (we are heading back home to NYC this week from visiting family).

Josie Davis is entirely believable as a professional woman who finds it uncomfortable to "go home again." She's less interested in the familiar, predictable companionship of an ex than in the seductive attentions of an attractive stranger.

But as so lofty a writer as Shakespeare has preached in play after play, all that glisters is not gold. And, try as she might, Laura attempts to overlook or explain away signs that her new love is not as wonderful as he appears.

While this sort of scenario is very common in real life, I wasn't expecting drab verisimilitude here and it was OK with me when Laura's best friend, Ava, questioned Brad's motives -- only to be found dead not so many frames later. All part of the fun!

Due to the rigors of our trip -- and not the twists and turns of the intriguing plot -- I fell asleep before I found out how this story ended. But as soon as my sons awaken they will give me the scoop.

Definitely recommended for anyone with reasonable expectations!

Weak script, average acting, a cliché a minute

Author: WatchingInPerth from Perth, Australia
8 March 2012

If you like to have the TV running in the background while you are doing stuff around the house, then this movie would be fine for that. Every character is a cariciature, the plot is one cliché after another & the script is woeful- soap opera woeful. I do have to defend the lead actors butt! It's a sad day when a woman as slender as that is described as having a big butt. Honestly, there are probably better shows you could use as background noise; the script becomes really irritating at times. The only reason I even got to 'see' most of this movie is because I was working on the computer, it was true background noise & so was somewhat tuned out. Speaking as a middle aged woman, it is offensive to suggest that 'we' would enjoy such tripe. I'd have to be lobotomised first.

Average soap opera film

Author: jonathanruano from Canada
26 August 2011

"Seduced by Lies" is a soapish TV movie targeted at middle-aged women who like handsome, athletic well-spoken men who make love to them tenderly in bed. Based loosely on the plot of Alfred Hitchcock's "Suspense," "Seduced by Lies" is about a rich heiress Laura Colton (Josie Davis) who thinks she found the perfect soul mate Brad Sterling (Marc Menard), only to discover that he is not what he seems. Unfortunately, unlike the characters in "Suspense", the characters in "Seduced by Lies" are not as intelligently written or as well acted. Josie Davis (Laura Colton) and Marc Menard (Brad Sterling) are not given anything interesting to say or do except to be intimate with each other, which they do with a certain degree of believability. The other characters are caricatures such as Laura's millionaire father Charles Colton (Bruce Dawson), red-haired model Katherine Colton (Johannah Newmarch) who probably married Charles for his money, the ditsy blonde sister Tia (Chelan Simmons), the very serious looking detective Brooking (Peter Bryant) right out from the law and order shows, and the overly-sexed bimbo waitress from the bar Ava (Sarah Edmondson).

But what this film does have is a somewhat better plot than the other low-budget TV movies, although before anyone rushes to see "Seduced by Lies," I should add that the screenplay for his film is only better than the worst plot lines ever put on a piece of paper by the hands of man or woman! With that qualification taken into account, this movie does work on the level of a trashy romance novel that women (who are unlucky in love) like to buy in used book stores. So if you are one of those people who takes guilty pleasure reading romance novels, then this film may be the right one for you. As a suspense film, however, "Seduced by Lies" does not work (though this call is a bit harder than you may imagine) largely because it relies too much on clichés and silly plot twists (including Sterling's illogical attempt to seduce the ditsy Tia and a tiresome big confrontation scene at the end). But the very last scene in this movie (lasting for 1-2 minutes), set in the beach, is phenomenal. It is by far the best scene in this entire TV movie. Sadly the rest of the film is not held to that standard.

4.5/10

Poor film - spoiler

Author: Lou103-940-936774 from United Kingdom
24 January 2011

Oh dear what a terrible film.

Girl sells her business goes home, meets bloke in a bar he moves into the family outhouse, kills her best friend, tries to steal some diamonds fight occurs he falls of a banister onto a marble floor, she runs out to greet the police and when they go in, he has gone

The end

I fell asleep whilst watching as wasn't well and don't feel like I missed anything. Gets only 2 stars and gets this due to the fact it was kind of watchable and I didn't switch off.

You need to be bored very bored to enjoy this film

Worst American (or Canadian) TV movie ever seen !!!

Author: stalen from Slovenia
22 May 2013

I can't believe nowadays anyone can record such a crap! 100% predictable scenes, annoying, watched till the end with torment only to write this review. Waste of time watching, worst even than any Mexican/Brazilian TV lemonade! Also bad acting, bad scenery... Can't remember any worst TV movie ever watched. I was hoping there would be any turnaround....nothing!!! Even at the end no surprises, the worst end even seen, really! This movie made me sick. Sorry for the actors, they could do much better, anyone of them in any other movie for sure...hmmm maybe the only emotional scene was that soft erotic part between Laura and her lover...

Loved this movie

Author: pauletteleone from United States
17 July 2011

I very much enjoyed Seduced by Lies (2010). It is a classic romantic suspense film. I found the cast excellent, including Lochlyn Munro and Marc Menard. The very lovely and talented Josie Davis was exceptional. She played her role with warmth, believability, and grace. Shot in British Columbia, the cinematography and natural beauty were wonderful. There were twists and turns in the plot, keeping things interesting. Similar (yet different) films I would relate this to are Circle of Friends, and Lies and Deception. The writers and director did a super job. Without giving away too much information, I can say that the plot centers around Laura Colton (Josie Davis), her family and friends. Laura falls in love with Brad Sterling (Marc Menard), and the mystery begins. It's a story of family, friends, love, and more. Lovers of sailboats will enjoy this also. The scenery is amazing, and the sets very well done. I highly recommend this film to all lovers of romantic suspense and mystery.