IMDb > Chronicle (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Chronicle

Chronicle More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 47: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

Not a regular super-hero film

Author: devilskinn from Cluj-Napoca, Romania
29 December 2013

I started watching the film with the sense that I would be falling asleep twenty minutes into it. It was night, I was tired and the title was boring. A few seconds later, my interest was awaken by the uncomfortable and troubling opening scene in Andrew's house - one of the protagonists. His father, an abusive alcoholic (at some time in the story it is divulged that he is also unemployed), is trying to forcibly get himself into his son's room, but cannot accomplish this because Andrew previously looked his door and is now announcing that he will be recording everything that happens to him.

And this is indeed how we get to see the film, through the lenses of different cameras, which, despite being one of my least favorite types of filming, greatly enhances the authenticity of the scenes and the likability of the main characters. Three high-school boys, Andrew, Matt and Steve, who could not be any more dissimilar, will soon be brought together by a scary, odd and yet fascinating experience from which they inexplicably emerge super-naturally powerful. Probably the best scenes in the film are the ones in which the three teenage boys discover the extent of their power and the fact that it increases through constant practice. Even if one could obviously not relate to the occurrence as such, it easy to understand their giddy reactions and adolescent pranks.

This seemingly unrehearsed display of powers, casts light unto their personalities and hints to their respective role in the group. Without being a nominated leader, Andrew is the strongest one and, unfortunately, the least controllable. He gradually turns very dark, even homicidal, especially due to his problematic family situation (his raging father, dying mother and almost no financial resources), but also as a result of constantly feeling like an outcast. Steve is the most popular of the trio, easy-going and caring. Sadly, he falls victim to one of Andrew's rage attacks, an incident which marks the precipitation of the latter's downfall. Matt, Andrew's cousin, is the reasonable type, ready to obey self-imposed rules which should help them avoid hurting themselves and others. He is the one left to stop his friend, now turned into a chaotic and unscrupulous villain, and will do so with much remorse.

The three actors, although not particularly famous, play their part convincingly, attracting the admiration and affection of the viewer. There are a few issues that remain unresolved throughout the plot, but it does little to taint the overall effect. This is a good film!

This is what i want from sci-fi movie producer

Author: sinan50563 from Turkey
19 January 2013

I believe that most of the sci-fi fan doesn't care what main stream producer and director thinking or doing.I believe Fans would find average acting satisfactory enough and Also contrary to general believe high quality visual effect doesn't obligatory for sci-fi movie.Mainstream movie producer made so many movies with high quality CGI and famous directors.Viewier started go to theaters to see how CGI is developing and being able to talk about latest movies.Instead of having good times with your friends or watching great movie.A low budget film remind a lot of Sci-fi viewers that they does care about decent plot and good directing instead of marvelous CGI animations and famous actors.

If this is also want you think about sci-fi this is movie for you.Y

Astonishingly good filmmaking crippled by the choice of the lead actor.

Author: RandomViewer from Australia
8 January 2013

That this movie was (reportedly) made for $12 million is a wake-up call for Hollywood; to achieve what it does on this budget shames the entire industry. It is a remarkably fresh take on the superhero genre made by someone who understands that many people under 40 are getting better stories -and a sense of wonder- from the best video games, rather than movies.

The special effects are astoundingly good, and, for once, are at the service of the story; sparingly where necessary, before building up to a stunning climax in the last third. They were not only more effective and superior than what is usually seen in a $150M production, they were used in a smarter and more convincing fashion.

The tempo of the story is managed perfectly over the 90-odd minutes, and some of the actors involved would seem to have a big future. The black dude has the charisma of a Denzel Washington; he, the cousin and the filmmaker/girlfriend all complete their roles perfectly, without any of the self-aware over-acting prevalent in most studio movies these days.

The only negative for me was a big one; I nearly turned it off after the first ten minutes due to the fact that the lead character was possibly the most whiny, wet and irritating I have ever seen in a film. It wasn't that he stood out more due to the higher standards being set everywhere else, because I was ready to turn it off before knowing how good the rest of the movie would turn out to be.

I get it that a huge part of the movie was the contrast provided when a powerless, submissive protagonist gains extraordinary power, yet even the most determinedly unsympathetic anti-heroes pale in comparison to this guy. As the victim of many circumstances out of his control, even when he turned evil I felt like there should have been at least some stage where I gave a sh*t but this never happened. Much of this has to do with how the character was written, yet I think literally any other actor playing that character would have made for a better film.

I don't know the history of the director, the cinematographer or the writers of the script; if they are all unknowns then what they achieved here is even more impressive. As of late, only Christopher Nolan puts together something this polished, this assured....with 20 times the budget.

Excellent entertainment

Author: Jose Cruz
27 December 2012

Chronicle was perhaps one of the best movies of the rather mediocre 2012. Superhero movies are at an all time high these days, with blockbuster films like Amazing Spider Man, The Dark Knight Rises and The Avengers, but though these films boasted massive budgets and tons of explosions and action scenes they lacked the emotional intensity of less "massive" films like Chronicle. I wouldn't call Chronicle a low budget film, since it had a rather sizable budget of 15 million dollars, for me a really low budget film has a budget around 2-4 million dollars. :)

Highly recommended as the best superhero film of 2012!

The movie that contains a hidden message for bullies and offenders

Author: keyos27 from Canada
10 December 2012

When is the last time you watched a movie without any background music? The Chronicle is a documentary film where the majority of scenes are recorded by a camera. It shows how well each scene is depicted and edited while arousing curiosity about what is going to happen ahead within two hours. Despite filming it with zero musics, the intensity can be felt as if you are the main character filming the entire sequence.

The plot starts off with an innocent teenager, Andrew, trying to submit a video for the competition gradually turning into a cynical outcast after finding out how invincible he can be with the mysterious power he gains from a giant crystal. The conflict between Andrew and two of his friends, Matt and Steve, who also get the equivalent superpower is intriguing as they try to suppress the turmoil that is caused by Andrew's abusive behavior and infinite desire.

The continuity is smooth without repetitions and the complexity. Types of superpowers that they possess simply consist of levitating which becomes flying as time goes by, Telekinesis, controlling any objects regardless the weight. Visual Effect deserves a huge credit for making them look real.

So why I do I think this movie sends a message to the bullies? From my perspective, the motive of Andrew for becoming evil-minded comes from his agony and rage that originated from getting consistently bullied by his classmates and drunk father.

By unleashing the formidable superpower that enables him to retaliate, the director subliminally tries to tell us that bullying or provoking someone can negatively impact anyone. As this movie also reflects the typical life of high school where Andrew performs in the talent show using the superpowers to brag "New Andrew" to students looks probably a little cheesy and unreal but it is an effective way to express the true colors of human beings. How their attitude towards Andrew changes because of his unique ability that differentiates him from his classmates.

To sum it up, it is a decent and different movie depends on how you see it. I would have given a perfect score if they had added brief expositions for the origin of the superpower. How did the crystal land on the earth? Why do they have nose bleeds every time they use the power? Or it is better for the questions to be remained unknown?

Good - Watch it.

Author: qormi from United States
19 August 2012

The twenty-something teens seemed authentic - they actually acted like teenagers - a rarity. The use of the camcorder - sort of a candid chronicle of what's happening - went over very well. The emergence of their superpowers and their mastery of it fit into the teenage reactions you would expect. I think it was an intelligent film - it made you think and it seemed real. When one of the teens, who had a traumatic home life, begins to unravel, everything accelerates into a tragedy. It was genuinely scary because it seemed so natural. Every single one of the characters seemed authentic and I believe this film achieved groundbreaking realism in that regard. It's one of those movies that holds your interest and makes you cringe. It drags you into it....when everything spins out of control, it retains its edge....it's genuinely terrifying.

good i liked it.

Author: stefania jonasdottir from Iceland
4 August 2012

i liked the movie. and what i specially liked was the part that even though this movie was meant to be like "home filmed" the camera was pretty good. it didn't shake or move as much as other movies that are meant to be "home filmed" by a character. so i really liked that. and yeah i think it was a good movie. not a time waster at all.which is why i watched it at 4 am when I'm working in the morning. i mean i like supernatural movies and this one was good with all the insight that you could see into the lives of the characters quite well. and the part of how they dealt with it and yeah its a good movie. specially for people who like supernatural movies and like to possibly identify with the character. because this movie could possibly be realistic. as in there wasn't a giant green alien who came from the sky and zapped them or anything so...

Good movie and not a time waster at all.

A perfect introduction to superpowers.

Author: Aidiera from Phoenix
15 July 2012

I'm usually divided by superpower movies. I've never read comic books, but I like the idea of being different from society. Chronicle rides this line with excellent finesse and skill. I loved the lack of a traditional exposition, with the movie instead diving straight into the main trio learning how to use their powers. Dane DeHaan's family dynamic was fantastic, Michael B. Jordan's personable characteristics were much-needed, and Alex Russell's overall resolve really brought the movie full circle. Really the only complaint I have is that it was on the short side. I would watch the 2.5 hour director's cut if there was one.

Who cares about the budget?

Author: ajseabrook from United Kingdom
14 July 2012

In my eyes this film was much more than I expected.. It set itself up to be judged as one of those 'low budget, kinda indie-looking films'. But it shocked me as I found myself both amazed and on edge at what going on in front of me, it looks no lesser budgeted than a blockbuster.. It just had a point-of-view. Alongside the amazing effects, the brilliant actors and the smart director, the whole 'super- hero' feel that is too familiar is spun a completely different way and personally, I KINDA LIKE IT!.. The screenwriters mind is one I would like to have been inside during the early stages of this film.

Anyway, this is a must watch and anything under a 7, is either from a boring elderly or someone who just doesn't like movies.

Not so much of a superhero movie.

Author: Austin Lawrence from Australia
10 July 2012

Chronicle is yet another found footage film about three guys who obtain superpowers.

Andrew,Steve and Matt are at a party when they discover a hole in the the ground.They venture inside it and find a alien type of thing.They all think its cool until the thing starts making noises and starts to attack them.The three wake up with superpowers and decide to record everything they do with Andrews camera.They all think its funny and great until a redneck starts beeping the horn at them and Andrew pushes the car of the road and into a lake.After that Andrew brings out his dark side and starts terrorizing the city.Its up to Steve and Matt to stop him before he destroys everything.

The special effects are OK but not Oscar worthy.The plot is good and the ending was a big surprise.Overall Chronicle is a good found footage movie thats worth seven out of ten.