IMDb > Chronicle (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Chronicle

Chronicle More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 46: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

Something new in Sci- fi genre

Author: shreekara-1995 from Udupi, Karnataka
25 August 2014

Its the Power that strengthens an individual and if it crosses its limitations and begin to control once movements then no doubt that the same Power turns to be the curse, yes this is the simple summary of the 2012's sci-fi movie "Chronicle".

This is the story that revolves around three boys Andrew, Matt and Steve, each have their own traits, recognition & behavior, their normal living changes when they discover that they have an ability to control the surrounding objectives with their mind, initially they are amused about their extraordinary powers, they use those powers without any actual purpose, in their exiting state they just play a pranks over others using their supernatural powers but when Andrew funnily sweeps away the moving car with his powers into the nearby pond hurting the driver, situation becomes bit serious, all the three get bit anxious about their powers and draw some rules about the usage of their powers, they restrict their powers on using it on any living things, initially they discover the enormous possibilities of their powers and are excited about it, they control other things, they float in the air and were able to do many things than the normal one couldn't do, but initially Andrew makes some negative use of his powers, he is been bullied by his father and the bedridden mother made him to go rebel, he turns anti towards society in this course his cousin Matt try a lot to bring him down from his hyper and negative usage of his powers but when he realizes it's of no use, the only option he got was to kill him, this is how the misuse of that Power come to an end.

First of all the plot is fine and totally has a novelty touch, the performances were absolutely great, the role played by Dehaan as Andrew is appreciable, Jordan and Russell were also superb regarding their performance, cinematography is so lively done and awesome, overall it's an unique and good kind of sci-fi movie to try a taste with.

The Terrible Cost Of Power

Author: Chipper Xavier from United States
7 July 2014

If you were virtually limitless, what would you do? If you had the strength of one hundred men, would you use it to help others - or would you harm them, instead? These are seemingly simple yet complex philosophical questions director Josh Trank attempts to answer in the 2012 movie Chronicle.

When three friends encounter what appears to be an alien artifact in an underground cave, they gradually develop telekinetic abilities. As they experiment with their new-found power, they become geometrically stronger and more skilled. Their super-human abilities change their fundamental realities, blurring the lines between right and wrong.

Dane DeHaan plays Andrew Detmer, a high school outcast with a physically and emotionally abusive father. Alex Russell plays Matt Garetty, Andrew's popular cousin. Michael B. Jordan plays Steve Montgomery, who is currently running for school president. The director fleshes out a complex social interaction between the three characters based upon their backgrounds, social standing and morals - or lack thereof.

The movie is very successful in its approach: All of the action is viewed through the scope of Andrew's video camera. Through this sometimes-shaky lens we are treated to slices of Andrew's life. We begin to understand and sympathize with him as he is bullied, beaten and abused by his father and by his classmates. We are sad when we are shown his mother, who is terminally ill - she loves him unconditionally, second only to his cousin, Matt.

The true crux of the film lies in the character study of Andrew and his disassociation from society. With so few allies to support him, director Josh Trank choreographs with frightening clarity Andy's descent into utter madness as his telekinetic powers grow to epic proportions.

This film is well-worth the watch for its commentary on the price of teen-aged angst, alienation and its effects on the human soul. You will also enjoy the special effects and the surprising strength of love. The ending may not shock you, but it may make you think twice about what it means to be human.

- Chipper F. Xavier.

Interesting Twist on found footage

Author: Zac Perry from Australia
22 May 2014

Josh Tranks Chronicle exceeded my expectations a few ways.The amazing acting to what were then unknown actors , an interesting take on a found footage film and stunning visual effects.

Acting - For the 3 main character this was their first big movie. Dane DeHann ,Alex Russel and Michael B Jordan all do an amazing job in acting in this movie and sometimes combined with the found footage I felt like the movie was real. All the supporting actors weren't terrible either. This incredible acting led these star to greater roles such as Dane DeHanns Green Goblin in the amazing Spiderman 2 and Michael B Jordan's upcoming Fantastic Four movies.

Twist on found footage- Watching this film I was worried that the film would be just found footage from the camera but near the few final scenes there is security cameras and cameras from the audience. I found this was a genius movie from Tranks as it made the film feel more realistic and I think all found footage films should learn from this.

Visual Effects- Chronicles visual effects are some of the best I have ever seen. A few scenes in particular blew me away , the flying scenes half way through the movie absolutely stunned me it looked so realistic and I take my hat off to the visual effects department In conclusion I am struggling to find flaws in Chronicle apart from the fact it could be a bit longer. Chronicle is one of the most interesting and beautiful films I have seen in the past 10 years.

Young Actors Shine In Smart and Fresh Superhero Movie

Author: Thomas Drufke
14 May 2014

This is a really cool movie. Not only because the effects for a 12 mil budget movie are top notch, but because of how different this film is. I have never seen something like this before. Im not a horror junkie so I'm not too familiar with the found footage type of film. In fact as far as I know this is the first movie that I've seen with almost all found footage. The approach really works. Probably due to the tremendous directorial job done by Josh Trank. He created these 3 characters that become more engaging as the film progresses. Dane Dehaan and Michael B Jordan will be stars someday but I also really liked Alex Russel in the movie as well. Perhaps this will be a movie we look back at in 10 years and were looking at multiple Oscar winners all in the same small budget superhero film.

The difference between this and an X-Men film is not just the small budget though. This movie dives much deeper into the back story of a disturbed teenager and gives us a glimpse at how someone who is given so much power but at the same time is abused goes through on a day to day basis. It was devastating seeing Andrew go through this abuse and see his villain turn develop in front of our eyes and not help the kid out.

Perhaps the one thing the film was lacking is the back story involving exactly how they got their powers. You see them touch this illuminated object underground but never get the sense of how exactly they are given this ability to fly and move objects. I also didn't find the father to be as terrifying as he was made out to be. Nonetheless this movie is a breakthrough in the superhero genre and a refreshing take on the found footage approach.

If they do eventually make a sequel I hope it follows Alex Russel's character instead of having a new group of kids as what was rumored. Keep Trank and Landis on as consultants and I think it could be potentially good.

+ surprisingly great effects

+ great performances from young leads

- not enough of a back story

8.6/10

A Found Footage Masterpiece

Author: Friendly Poison from United Kingdom
12 May 2014

Just finished watching this, after the encouragement of of my girlfriend and I was extremely impressed, needless to say this is a landmark in the the genre of 'found footage'.

I recently saw 'The Blair Witch Project' and I was introduced into a world of apparent, 'realism' in film. A medium so simple of taking a camcorder and simply recording your normal life or say heading into a forest to document a ghost chase, becomes all the more personal and vivid when played out in a film-within a film environment.

Chronicle continues this effective display of realism with perfection in this supernatural drama, directed brilliantly by Josh Trank. The film follows 3 high school students, Andrew (Dane DeHaan), Matt (Alex Russell) and Steve (Michael B. Jordan) as they stray away from a late night party into a strange pit, where, after a little exploring they discover a large, strange and glowing crystal that apparently bestows telekinetic powers upon the trio. At first the three friends playfully experiment and get to grips with their new found powers, such as messing with patrons in supermarkets and even moving parked cars to test themselves but also eventually expand outwards into even more impressive feats. Flying.

Out of the three, the stand out performance is from DeHaan's, Andrew. He lives a shy, reclusive life as he is frequently bullied at school and is abused mentally and physically by his alcoholic father, Michael (Richard Detmer). From the get go, Andrew purchases a camera to document his life, forming the base angle from which the movie is viewed. As the film goes on, Andrew, having grown more powerful, begins to telekinetic move the camera around, giving the audience an excellent view into not only the story as it unfolds but the evolution of Andrew and the rest of the cast.

The character development is deep and relationships between the three protagonists is well written and translates well to the screen. The films message also speaks out on the topics of loneliness, social awkwardness, acceptance and the true depth of power.

If you're a fan of the 'found footage' or, hell, even if you aren't. I highly recommend this awesome movie, especially if you've had problems in high/senior school in your youth (who hasn't right?). You may learn a lot about yourself, others and what it means to be human after all.

I'll catch you guys another way, another time.

FP

Crafty But Raw, Chronicle Needs Fine-Tuning

Author: Sean Lamberger from Bradenton, FL
6 May 2014

This awkward blend of several trendy genres has something to say, but can't quite work out the right way to say it. As the meeting point between superhero origin pictures, found footage compilations and moody coming-of-age stories, it arrives pre-loaded with all manner of tripmines and potholes, so numerous that it can't hope to avoid them all. It feels hokey and gimmicky, particularly when the action grows intense and the plot bends over backwards for an excuse to introduce more hand-held cameras. The cast interactions feel rushed and shallow, hurrying past crucial bits of character development to reach the precious prize of a shiny effects shot. And even those, presumably the film's sizzle, unanimously feel weak and clunky. Chronicle has a point, and the ruminations it embraces about the underbellies of each genre have loads of potential. It's just so poorly executed, nearly across the board, that it's tough to focus on what's going on beneath the hood. Excellent as a rough sketch or a proof of concept, flat as a finished product.

Chronicle of Amazing

Author: Anna Heidick from United States
21 April 2014

The acting is flawless. The characters, for a super powered film, are very realistic not only in their setting but also in personality and in their actions. You grow to feel for them more then most movie characters. This is especially true for Andrew. Who I felt very sympathetic for the first time I saw this movie. The visual effects are nice. The film has it's funny moments in a very depressing story. This film is really good with it's shoots considering it's found footage style. I like that it was shot steady instead of jumping everywhere. The story itself was emotional and interesting. The true highlight of the film for me tho was really Dane DeHaan's performance of Andrew's character. The writer's writing of the character and DeHaan's portrayal of it really made the film. And the film indeed was amazing. This is one of my favorite movie's and the best found footage film I've seen so far.

Unforgettable!!

Author: blackwolf33914 from United States
19 February 2014

An incredible film that will stick with you forever and leave you wanting more and more. You'd think that something that takes place entirely behind the camcorder would be limited to the plot, unable to really show the movie but that is wrong. Looks too real to be fake, you almost feel as if your there with these three boys as they're going through all this, their joy is felt by the watchers as the anger from the protagonist. Amazing break through performance from Dane DeHaan, despite the destruction he creates you find yourself loving him, sympathizing with his anger, crying at the end. I'll admit that I balled like a newborn when I first saw it. I just have one question, Where can I meet the writer of this?? I really want to meet them to see if there as dark as the theme of this movie. Every school should show this, has a major anti-bully and anti-abuse theme; tells kids that if you bully someone they're doomed if the bullied gets powers.

No matter how many times I see this movie, I always get stuck watching it if one some TV somewhere; wished they added another hour to it.

Surprised at how much I enjoyed this movie

Author: coastin_on_a_dream from California
26 January 2014

I am usually not a fan of these "found footage" movies. Some are good, but most seem to be cheap gimmicks. They aren't expensive to make, but they make a lot of money, so studios churn these out hoping to make a quick buck, and they put in very little effort, so the end result is a bad movie.

Chronicle is different though. The found footage concept is obviously nothing new, but the movie has a great screenwriter and actually has a good cast of main actors. The dialogue is believable, the characters are likable, and the actors have great chemistry with each other. You actually care about the journey they go on. The story is basically a superhero villain's origin story. His name is Andrew. He's very troubled; he's bullied, his mother is chronically ill, his father is an abusive alcoholic, and he's lonely. It's easy to see how he goes off the rails later in the movie and abuses his new found superpowers. He's so tragically misguided and sad, and as an audience, we feel sympathy for him.

Although we see everything from Andrew's POV, the audience also identifies with Matt, his cousin and the closest person he has to a best friend. Matt is the most normal one, and as Andrew begins to lose his grip on reality, we identify with Matt because he sees things objectively and wants to take a step back and figure out what is going on.

What really helps the movie is that the main characters are so well developed and likable. I went into this movie expecting a movie about stupid teenagers destroying things were their telekinetic powers, but it gave the audience much more than that.

Overall, this movie was well worth the money. I do wish they had fleshed out a few things, story-wise, but I think the idea was to leave it open for a sequel. They created a nice story and there's much to be explored. I would highly recommend this movie because the entertainment value is so high.

I give this a solid 8/10.

If real teens got superpowers, this is probably what they would do!

Author: akik1259 from United States
23 January 2014

This movie pleasantly surprised me. All you need to know about the story is that three teens mysteriously gain superpowers and have fun just screwing around with them in idiotic ways. However, when one of them takes a dark turn, the movie becomes more plot driven.

The movie is found footage format, so it uses a single camera to film things. Overall, the special effects are good yet practical. They are not over the top, like in many action movies. There are some truly hilarious scenes of the guys using their powers in regular, everyday places. Who wouldn't want to abuse their powers on unsuspecting people? The characters (there are only three, maybe four) are pretty well developed. They bond with each other over their new powers. However, when you learn how crappy life is for one of them, Andrew, you can probably guess what will ultimately happen to his character (teen angst, physical abuse, superpowers, you do the math.) The movie takes a dark turn and all hell pretty much breaks loose in the climax. Here's where the sense of scale gets upped and the effects go crazy. It pretty much becomes a full blown action movie. You can tell most of the budget was spent on the climax.

A few minor complaints. Because the movie is found footage, no doubt you are going to get some slow moments. Some parts feel a little too drawn out, such as when we're forced to listen to one of the guys cry, but thankfully these moments are few. Also, Andrews character was a bit too whiny and annoying, and his dad was a bit over the top in his physical and verbal abuse. Also, I thought it wrapped up a little to quickly; they probably cold have done more with the climax.

As far as found footage movies with unknown actors go, this is definitely one of the best. It's a unique take on the superhero genre, and when it's got a budget and compelling story to back it up, it makes for an enjoyable movie.