IMDb > Chronicle (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Chronicle

Chronicle More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 46: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

Surprisingly good

Author: Preskoto from Bulgaria
8 February 2012

This movie was a real shot in the dark for me,before watching it i had no idea what to expect from it,i never saw any of the trailers,had no idea whats it about and who the actors were,a friend just called me and said that he is going to see this movie and asked me for company.You can probably already tell that my expectations were low and they were,but in the end i was really surprised at how good it turned out.

At first the movie may seem like one of those "superhero in the making" movies:Three kids gain superpowers,its all fun and games in the beginning and you just expect something bad to happen to the city so our heroes can save it and become a crime fighting trio!Thank god that doesn't happen,instead around halfway into the movie you realise its actually more like a "suppervilain in the making" type of film in the face of Andrew,but no matter what he does you still manage to feel sorry for the character because you know how his life is and what he is going through.The ending was pretty strong and i actually felt sorry for Matt because of the decision he had to make.

One of the minor annoyances in the film for me was the lack of explanation for why is he filming,when someone asks him about that he just says "Because i want to" or something like that.As much as i like the found footage genre i think this movie would have been better without it,but thats only my opinion.

In general for a guy who didn't expect much and didn't know much(if anything) about the movie i was really surprised.Great work from the three young actors who actually made me care about their characters,good looking effects and a good story.

One word... Good, not bad, not amazing.

Author: jagsports01
13 April 2012

This film is a good film. I was bored some parts of the concept. Like a book, you can't judge it by it's cover. With a movie, don't judge it by it's trailer, and I fell for that... a little. The trailer looks good, and after all, these teenage boys did great acting, but what mattered was the story. Besides the acting, all powers were cool, but I still think it's a 7, If you read this review, don't fall for others. The movie was good, not bad, not great.

After all, Chronicle was a folded piece of paper with good, not amazing, but definitely not bad drawings on it. I hoped you people like this review.

Pacifism and the abuse of power

Author: Paul K Bickmore from Southampton, UK
8 February 2012

This has to be one of the most stunning science fiction films I've watched in a while (not since Donnie Darko) and one of the best commentaries regarding pacifism and the abuse of power that has surely been made. The abuse of the vulnerable is not always handled very sympathetically, but in this case the total transformation it causes is seamless and one finds oneself egging them on for vengeance in the first instance and saying 'oh no, don't do that' in the next. There is plenty left unexplained and to think about afterward, which is often the downfall of some stories. The references to previous science fiction films are endless, but handled in a completely unique way and the special effects don't ever get in the way. Nice one Josh.

Fun and Exciting

Author: njmollo from London
29 April 2012

If we understand the concept that "everything is a remix" then Chronicle (2012) is simply a re-telling of an old story. The question is: How well is the re-telling told?

There are certainly comparisons with Akira (1988) and the style, video diary, could be said to be passé. Yet, not without it's faults, Chronicle rises above these comparisons with some rather clever film making.

It is a shame that the "token" has to follow the usual path of being the first to meet their maker. Or that the pale faced outcast predictably becomes a psycho by reading to much Darwin. Those gripes aside Chronicle is a good little movie.

The acting is generally good but with a few weak moments. Alex Russell comes across as a talented and likable actor if you ignore his final scene, which is over played. Michael B. Jordan is charming and Dane Doha is convincing as the Bobby C (Barry Miller) or Tetsuo Shima (Nozomu Sasaki) archetype.

The intelligence level of the protagonists is not high as shown by the attempts of the Dane Doha character to gets some much needed cash yet the interesting theme of this movie is how these dim boys deal with their new found powers.

Chronicle is fun, exciting and well made.

Carrie doesn't live here anymore!

Author: alex (doorsscorpywag) from United Kingdom
29 April 2012

Nice to see something with a bit of thought put in rather than the mindless Hollywood fare of the last few years. Not all that original as it's basically Carrie with guys but enjoyable to watch with believable characters for a change.

A shy guy who is at the bottom of the food chain both at school and home buys a camera and is asked at a party by the schools 'popular guy' to come and film something he found along with shy guys cousin who happens to be shy guys only friend. It turns out to be something strange and glowing in a hole in the ground that seems to be making a weird sound. A strange noise is emitted which damages shy boys camera and then we find the three friends sitting at home three weeks later with telekinetic ability which is getting stronger by the hour.

There seems an odd gap in between the discovery and the realisation. But that is where the clever touch comes in. This is not some lost footage film but instead viewed from the eye of not just shy boys camera but cameras which appear throughout the film. Shy boys cousin has bought him a new one hence the resumption of the film a couple of weeks after the discovery. They find they can now fly around and do all manner of super power stuff just by thinking about it.

Normally the three would make costumes and become a crime fighting triumvirate but these guys do something more realistic. They begin to have fun. They play pranks some of which are really funny. Shy boy begins to find himself becoming popular due to a great turn at the school talent show.

But of course realising that you are superior to all around you comes with a cost. It starts when shy boy and the popular kid become firm friends due to a shared dysfunctional home life. It begins to get out of hand and the fun stops and the action begins. The pranking takes a disturbing turn as shy boy realises he is no longer at the bottom of the food chain but is in fact at the top.

Some of the effects are pretty good and the final segment really well done. In the end, like Carrie, shy boy finds out that becoming popular isn't as easy as one thinks sometimes.

Some of the stuff in the film is pretty original especially the way the shy boy finds to allow us to follow the action. The acting is pretty good all round especially the three leads. A little short which is a shame but well worthy of the hour and a half it demands of you.

A very solid film

Author: Argemaluco from Argentina
2 March 2012

By this time, I feel an automatic distrust against any "pseudo-documentary" movie, because what initially was an innovative interpretation of conventional subjects became a tiring tag which doesn't deceive anyone any more, and besides promotes the proliferation of lazy filmmakers with the mistaken belief that a hand-held camera and over the top performances will be enough to rescue mediocre screenplays. However, there are still some fresh and interesting perspectives in the pseudo-documentary, specially when it deals with different subjects and is seasoned by a genuine ingenuity, interesting characters and a really creative vision which isn't afraid of playing with the rules of the sub-genus in order to establish an own identity. The most recent example of that is Chronicle.

Independently from the "pseudo-documentary" format, Chronicle could also be included into the "realistic super-hero" sub-genus we saw flourish in the films Defendor, Kick-Ass and Super; but instead of satirizing the super-hero concept, Chronicle makes a tribute to it with a very interesting "origin story" in which the super-powers aren't an end in themselves, but the catalyst of the characters' emotional growth. In other words, the point of the screenplay isn't offering us a simple childish fantasy about "good ones vs. evil ones", but examining the effect the power has over three young men with very different personal circumstances. Screenwriter Max Landis took the "with great power comes great responsibility" premise very seriously; and when that concept is fused with the "pseudo-documentary" style, the result is an entertaining and very satisfactory super-hero film, in which the most forced elements of the genre, such as the disguises and the cosmic threatens, are wisely avoided. The emphasis of the story is on the characters' humanity, and not on their "super-humanity".

Sure, the short running time of the film and the archetypal characters avoid this character study to go beyond the superficial, but there's no need for more in order to bring deepness to the screenplay, which already is efficient, concise and free of obstacles which would avoid us of getting "plunged" into the central conflict. What the film can't avoid are the typical vices from the "home video"...and I'm not talking about the sudden camera movements, but to the coincidence that someone is filming during the most significant moments of the story. What is more, I think the screenplay makes a few little narrative traps. Nevertheless, those complaints didn't avoid me from enjoying this film pretty much.

The studio Rhythm and Hues is worthy of applause, because they always convince us that we aren't watching special effects, but the reality captured with simple homemade cameras. And I would also like to mention the solid performances from Dane DeHaan, Alex Russell and Michael B. Jordan, as well as Josh Trank's dynamic and precise direction. In conclusion, I wouldn't consider Chronicle a great film, but it's definitely a very good one, and I recommend it.

unusual and rare

Author: Kevin Merrell
19 February 2012

how is a movie made to be? is it the pure density of action or fear? or the purity of the movie itself. I've come to find myself in the position where there is not much to say about a movie once you watch it. you saw it, great. but there are the ones that come in to play that all you want to do is hit the play button over and over again. chronicle was a very unusual type of film listing on not what people usually find in a movie. but the purity of a movie comes from the very feeling, the soul content of a movie, the pure influence. chronicle was a very strange movie in which along with the views of the camera (as shown the boy was filming in the movie). but it really did show the view point of it all. the teen, the people, everyone else. overall, chronicle is a rare treasure to find in a movie, and i am hoping very much for more

Unbreakable 2

Author: Samandreas66 from United States
19 February 2012

I really enjoyed chronicle from start to finish.This movie pushed the envelope on the found footage genre and the superhero genre as well.The way the filmmakers used the whole found footage idea was pretty smart.The storyline actually works and kept me engaged.Chronicle feels like an origin story of one of the main characters.The special effects look good considering how much this movie cost to develop.Also this movie is realistic and has some good characters.The acting felt realistic and I actually cared for the characters.The three central characters Steve,Matt and Andrew represent some cliché characters from high school but have more to them.My favorite character had to be Steve because for me he actually develops more depth.A lot of people complained about the running time but I had no problem with the eighty three minute running time.The running time didn't bother me at all I felt like I got my money's worth half way through the movie.The whole big spectacular climatic fight scene was amazing.This movie feels like a fan boy film but it works.Chronicle mixes unbreakable meets cloverfield meets akira meets superman II meets breakfast club.What more can someone ask for.Max Landis and josh trank has revived the found footage genre to the stratosphere and made the whole idea of superheroes better.

Review of Chronicle

Author: rebecca-j-kelly from Fargo, ND
8 February 2012

I was lucky enough to go to an advanced showing of Chronicle last week, and I didn't even have to pay. The movie follows the lives of Andrew (Dane DaHaan), his cousin Matt (Alex Russell), and their friend Steve (Michael B. Jordan) after they obtain telekinesis. It's a found film, so the camera work is a little shaky in the beginning, but the plot more than makes up for that. The acting was also much better than expected, especially considering the fact that these three are relatively unknown. It's pretty easy to feel for the characters, so it's possible to see why they--especially Andrew--do what they do throughout the movie. The special effects weren't the greatest. Some things definitely looked like they were hanging on a string, but others were better. All in all, it was an excellent film. I would definitely see it again, and I'd even pay this time.

Original, that's for sure.

Author: Boba_Fett1138 from Groningen, The Netherlands
9 February 2012

No doubt about it, this is one of the most original superhero movies ever made but does it also rank among the best? I don't think so.

A found-footage movie, involving a couple of youngster who gain superhero-like powers. That, in one short sentence, is the best way to describe this movie. This premise alone is already a quite original one, that of course gives the movie a more realistic sense to it as well. And this is all very welcome of course. It adds a whole new, other dimension, to both the found-footage and superhero movie genre.

Basically it's being a very pleasant, little movie, to watch because it's taking a very straightforward approach with things. There are hardly any side-plots and the movie has a very natural flow to it. Besides, they were being pretty creative at times with the use of the camera(s). You might perhaps worry that it's constantly doing the same thing, with also the same camera-angels time in, time out but the movie found a clever way to use multiple different cameras at times and to make the whole movie also more dynamic to watch.

But really, no matter how hard it tries to come across as realistic at times, it just isn't of course. I mean, after all, this is a movie about kids with superpowers. They fly through the air like Superman and smash cars like the Hulk. You could shoot it in a realistic way but it's just never going to look as such, also in this case due to it, that the movie had some pretty poor special effects in it, at certain crucial points, which also took me out of the movie at times.

Another thing that just didn't made the movie all that realistic for me was its acting. The kids in this movie just aren't all that great. At times they sound good and very natural but at others it just sounds far too scripted and they obviously didn't had much big acting experience yet.

Still the whole approach of this movie and how its story and characters progress and develop in a realistic and very straight-forward way, make this movie a real perfectly watchable and certainly also original one.