IMDb > Chronicle (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Chronicle

Chronicle More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 45: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

Carrie doesn't live here anymore!

Author: alex (doorsscorpywag) from United Kingdom
29 April 2012

Nice to see something with a bit of thought put in rather than the mindless Hollywood fare of the last few years. Not all that original as it's basically Carrie with guys but enjoyable to watch with believable characters for a change.

A shy guy who is at the bottom of the food chain both at school and home buys a camera and is asked at a party by the schools 'popular guy' to come and film something he found along with shy guys cousin who happens to be shy guys only friend. It turns out to be something strange and glowing in a hole in the ground that seems to be making a weird sound. A strange noise is emitted which damages shy boys camera and then we find the three friends sitting at home three weeks later with telekinetic ability which is getting stronger by the hour.

There seems an odd gap in between the discovery and the realisation. But that is where the clever touch comes in. This is not some lost footage film but instead viewed from the eye of not just shy boys camera but cameras which appear throughout the film. Shy boys cousin has bought him a new one hence the resumption of the film a couple of weeks after the discovery. They find they can now fly around and do all manner of super power stuff just by thinking about it.

Normally the three would make costumes and become a crime fighting triumvirate but these guys do something more realistic. They begin to have fun. They play pranks some of which are really funny. Shy boy begins to find himself becoming popular due to a great turn at the school talent show.

But of course realising that you are superior to all around you comes with a cost. It starts when shy boy and the popular kid become firm friends due to a shared dysfunctional home life. It begins to get out of hand and the fun stops and the action begins. The pranking takes a disturbing turn as shy boy realises he is no longer at the bottom of the food chain but is in fact at the top.

Some of the effects are pretty good and the final segment really well done. In the end, like Carrie, shy boy finds out that becoming popular isn't as easy as one thinks sometimes.

Some of the stuff in the film is pretty original especially the way the shy boy finds to allow us to follow the action. The acting is pretty good all round especially the three leads. A little short which is a shame but well worthy of the hour and a half it demands of you.

A very solid film

Author: Argemaluco from Argentina
2 March 2012

By this time, I feel an automatic distrust against any "pseudo-documentary" movie, because what initially was an innovative interpretation of conventional subjects became a tiring tag which doesn't deceive anyone any more, and besides promotes the proliferation of lazy filmmakers with the mistaken belief that a hand-held camera and over the top performances will be enough to rescue mediocre screenplays. However, there are still some fresh and interesting perspectives in the pseudo-documentary, specially when it deals with different subjects and is seasoned by a genuine ingenuity, interesting characters and a really creative vision which isn't afraid of playing with the rules of the sub-genus in order to establish an own identity. The most recent example of that is Chronicle.

Independently from the "pseudo-documentary" format, Chronicle could also be included into the "realistic super-hero" sub-genus we saw flourish in the films Defendor, Kick-Ass and Super; but instead of satirizing the super-hero concept, Chronicle makes a tribute to it with a very interesting "origin story" in which the super-powers aren't an end in themselves, but the catalyst of the characters' emotional growth. In other words, the point of the screenplay isn't offering us a simple childish fantasy about "good ones vs. evil ones", but examining the effect the power has over three young men with very different personal circumstances. Screenwriter Max Landis took the "with great power comes great responsibility" premise very seriously; and when that concept is fused with the "pseudo-documentary" style, the result is an entertaining and very satisfactory super-hero film, in which the most forced elements of the genre, such as the disguises and the cosmic threatens, are wisely avoided. The emphasis of the story is on the characters' humanity, and not on their "super-humanity".

Sure, the short running time of the film and the archetypal characters avoid this character study to go beyond the superficial, but there's no need for more in order to bring deepness to the screenplay, which already is efficient, concise and free of obstacles which would avoid us of getting "plunged" into the central conflict. What the film can't avoid are the typical vices from the "home video"...and I'm not talking about the sudden camera movements, but to the coincidence that someone is filming during the most significant moments of the story. What is more, I think the screenplay makes a few little narrative traps. Nevertheless, those complaints didn't avoid me from enjoying this film pretty much.

The studio Rhythm and Hues is worthy of applause, because they always convince us that we aren't watching special effects, but the reality captured with simple homemade cameras. And I would also like to mention the solid performances from Dane DeHaan, Alex Russell and Michael B. Jordan, as well as Josh Trank's dynamic and precise direction. In conclusion, I wouldn't consider Chronicle a great film, but it's definitely a very good one, and I recommend it.

unusual and rare

Author: Kevin Merrell
19 February 2012

how is a movie made to be? is it the pure density of action or fear? or the purity of the movie itself. I've come to find myself in the position where there is not much to say about a movie once you watch it. you saw it, great. but there are the ones that come in to play that all you want to do is hit the play button over and over again. chronicle was a very unusual type of film listing on not what people usually find in a movie. but the purity of a movie comes from the very feeling, the soul content of a movie, the pure influence. chronicle was a very strange movie in which along with the views of the camera (as shown the boy was filming in the movie). but it really did show the view point of it all. the teen, the people, everyone else. overall, chronicle is a rare treasure to find in a movie, and i am hoping very much for more

Unbreakable 2

Author: Samandreas66 from United States
19 February 2012

I really enjoyed chronicle from start to finish.This movie pushed the envelope on the found footage genre and the superhero genre as well.The way the filmmakers used the whole found footage idea was pretty smart.The storyline actually works and kept me engaged.Chronicle feels like an origin story of one of the main characters.The special effects look good considering how much this movie cost to develop.Also this movie is realistic and has some good characters.The acting felt realistic and I actually cared for the characters.The three central characters Steve,Matt and Andrew represent some cliché characters from high school but have more to them.My favorite character had to be Steve because for me he actually develops more depth.A lot of people complained about the running time but I had no problem with the eighty three minute running time.The running time didn't bother me at all I felt like I got my money's worth half way through the movie.The whole big spectacular climatic fight scene was amazing.This movie feels like a fan boy film but it works.Chronicle mixes unbreakable meets cloverfield meets akira meets superman II meets breakfast club.What more can someone ask for.Max Landis and josh trank has revived the found footage genre to the stratosphere and made the whole idea of superheroes better.

Review of Chronicle

Author: rebecca-j-kelly from Fargo, ND
8 February 2012

I was lucky enough to go to an advanced showing of Chronicle last week, and I didn't even have to pay. The movie follows the lives of Andrew (Dane DaHaan), his cousin Matt (Alex Russell), and their friend Steve (Michael B. Jordan) after they obtain telekinesis. It's a found film, so the camera work is a little shaky in the beginning, but the plot more than makes up for that. The acting was also much better than expected, especially considering the fact that these three are relatively unknown. It's pretty easy to feel for the characters, so it's possible to see why they--especially Andrew--do what they do throughout the movie. The special effects weren't the greatest. Some things definitely looked like they were hanging on a string, but others were better. All in all, it was an excellent film. I would definitely see it again, and I'd even pay this time.

Original, that's for sure.

Author: Boba_Fett1138 from Groningen, The Netherlands
9 February 2012

No doubt about it, this is one of the most original superhero movies ever made but does it also rank among the best? I don't think so.

A found-footage movie, involving a couple of youngster who gain superhero-like powers. That, in one short sentence, is the best way to describe this movie. This premise alone is already a quite original one, that of course gives the movie a more realistic sense to it as well. And this is all very welcome of course. It adds a whole new, other dimension, to both the found-footage and superhero movie genre.

Basically it's being a very pleasant, little movie, to watch because it's taking a very straightforward approach with things. There are hardly any side-plots and the movie has a very natural flow to it. Besides, they were being pretty creative at times with the use of the camera(s). You might perhaps worry that it's constantly doing the same thing, with also the same camera-angels time in, time out but the movie found a clever way to use multiple different cameras at times and to make the whole movie also more dynamic to watch.

But really, no matter how hard it tries to come across as realistic at times, it just isn't of course. I mean, after all, this is a movie about kids with superpowers. They fly through the air like Superman and smash cars like the Hulk. You could shoot it in a realistic way but it's just never going to look as such, also in this case due to it, that the movie had some pretty poor special effects in it, at certain crucial points, which also took me out of the movie at times.

Another thing that just didn't made the movie all that realistic for me was its acting. The kids in this movie just aren't all that great. At times they sound good and very natural but at others it just sounds far too scripted and they obviously didn't had much big acting experience yet.

Still the whole approach of this movie and how its story and characters progress and develop in a realistic and very straight-forward way, make this movie a real perfectly watchable and certainly also original one.

An unexpected surprise. One of the best of 2012 for sure.

Author: rayato from Puerto Rico
11 February 2012

This is a superhero movie done right. Film comes out of nowhere and will definitely end up being one of the best of 2012. Great performances. The actor that plays Andrew is one to watch. Extremely relatable kid and if you're gone thru the same thing, the very raw scenes with his abusive father will hit close to home. The CGI is fantastic for a $15M production. A very interesting twist on the superhero genre that is fun for the first half and then becomes very dark with a third act that is so absolutely bonkers, it would Katsuhiro Otomo (Akira) proud. For a 80- minute movie they could've took their time and fleshed out some characters a bit more but that's irrelevant. Without question one of the most innovative, entertaining films I've seen in years. Go see it!

not worth anyones time

Author: spno2
7 April 2012

k special effects seamless, filming terrible, dialog terrible, its like the Blair witch project without the flair (not that it had any) don't waste your time watching movies like this, you want to watch a film of your friends doing stupid stuff go outside and film it yourself it will turn out better than this movie. The plot about the abused high school kid who decides to film everything is not bad if it were a serious movie about bullying shown in schools, this seems like another attempt to make a really cheap movie and steal as much cash from people as possible, (although some special effects are OK, the whole flight scene was a waste of time)and yes the special effects would have cost a penny or two, it still seems like any first year film student could have thrown it together.

The Superheroes genre gets a Highly Entertaining "Found Footage" treatment.

Author: theycallmemrglass from United Kingdom
2 February 2012

It was only a matter of time until we got a superpowers version of the "found footage" genre. Thankfully, we get a damn good one.

This is a highly entertaining superhero "origins" movie which should delight fans of the genre. However, it does have a rather predictable storyline with quite a few clichés to boot. In fact, those of you who have seen the old classic film, Carrie, with Sissy Spacek, will notice the similarities in the storyline. Originality therefore, is not its strength.

But its the whole execution of the film that completely wins me over. The dialogue was witty and engaging, and there was a delightful balance of humour, drama and very cool moments.

Given that everything is meant to be captured on film by the on screen characters, a lot of liberties is taken with how every key moment is captured but it is cleverly explained and integrated neatly with the superpowers of the protagonists. So the effect of everything that unravels visually is creative, visceral and very entertaining.

Even though I could see where this film is going, it was still compelling and that's mostly down to Dane Dehaan who plays the "Carrie" style character. He was superb. His performance of a troubled teenager gave the film more depth and realism than you would expect from an OTT high concept film like this. Michael B. Jordan provides a natural tone of comic relief while Alex Russel is suitably fine as the more rational leader of the 3 super power teenagers. The 3 leads played off each other well creating a complex chemistry in their relationships that ranges from juvenile foolery to mature responsibilities for each other's conflicting actions and use of their super powers.

There is room for a sequel and as long as they can come up with a good story and try not to rip too much off other sources, I will happily be in the queue to see it.

Something new in Sci- fi genre

Author: shreekara-1995 from Udupi, Karnataka
25 August 2014

Its the Power that strengthens an individual and if it crosses its limitations and begin to control once movements then no doubt that the same Power turns to be the curse, yes this is the simple summary of the 2012's sci-fi movie "Chronicle".

This is the story that revolves around three boys Andrew, Matt and Steve, each have their own traits, recognition & behavior, their normal living changes when they discover that they have an ability to control the surrounding objectives with their mind, initially they are amused about their extraordinary powers, they use those powers without any actual purpose, in their exiting state they just play a pranks over others using their supernatural powers but when Andrew funnily sweeps away the moving car with his powers into the nearby pond hurting the driver, situation becomes bit serious, all the three get bit anxious about their powers and draw some rules about the usage of their powers, they restrict their powers on using it on any living things, initially they discover the enormous possibilities of their powers and are excited about it, they control other things, they float in the air and were able to do many things than the normal one couldn't do, but initially Andrew makes some negative use of his powers, he is been bullied by his father and the bedridden mother made him to go rebel, he turns anti towards society in this course his cousin Matt try a lot to bring him down from his hyper and negative usage of his powers but when he realizes it's of no use, the only option he got was to kill him, this is how the misuse of that Power come to an end.

First of all the plot is fine and totally has a novelty touch, the performances were absolutely great, the role played by Dehaan as Andrew is appreciable, Jordan and Russell were also superb regarding their performance, cinematography is so lively done and awesome, overall it's an unique and good kind of sci-fi movie to try a taste with.