IMDb > Chronicle (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Chronicle

Chronicle More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 45: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Great fun movie & visually amazing

Author: Tominator147
2 August 2013

This film was a pleasant surprise, much better than I expected. The storyline is quick and straight to the point. I like the idea of the guys all filming it on their camera, it was a unique way to watch a film.

The plot is fairly simple but extremely effective. The 3 main characters are all played by actors I have never seen before and it felt really fresh, they was all very good. The film had much more humour than I had expected, there was some funny one liners and also when they got their powers there was some really funny scenes of testing them out etc, really different to anything I have seen before. The special effects in this film were incredible, you just have to see it for yourself. It really did look amazing.

After a twist, the main character starts to lose control and ends up causing absolute carnage, this was just a breathtaking last 10-15 minutes of action.

Overall a very enjoyable film, short and straight to the point. I would recommend this film to all.

9/10.

A Loser's Ultimate Wet-Dream-Come-True, Chronicled

Author: Dalbert Pringle from New Zealand
21 February 2013

*Note* Possible spoilers!

Here's Chronicle's message to all-time loser teens?

In order to gain any acceptance at all from any of your peers you must first acquire super-powers. That's right. It's the only way. Otherwise you will continue to be subjected to the same, old treatment that you so rightly deserve - Like being punched in the head at least 3 times a day by not only your fellow classmates (while others, doing nothing, look on), but by your very own father, as well.

Now, I ask you - Wasn't it just the most amazing coincidence imaginable that Andrew suddenly started to diligently record everything on camera just days before he and his mates just happened to discover the hole in the ground and, thus, miraculously becoming the 3 bad-ass "superboys"?

I know that Andrew, Matt & Steve did actually return once again to the site of the mysterious hole and it was, at that point, filled in. But, what doesn't make sense to me was, later, when their super-strength had increased, why didn't they return again to open up the hole and maybe that way they could've gotten some sensible answers to this whole, weird phenomenon?

In Chronicle it totally killed me that pretty, little Casey was also a hand-held movie camera fanatic, as well. I mean, she clung to her precious camera so possessively that even when she was falling from Seattle's space-needle, and Matt caught her in mid-air, she never let go of the frickin' thing. And while she was filming during this fall the shots were all totally 100% clear with only a minimal amount of shaking.... Sheesh!

Chronicle was one of those films that just about bored me to tears. It took a whole hour out of its 84 minute running time finally to get to all of the mayhem and carnage stuff and by that time I was so fed up with this utter crap movie that I couldn't have cared less what sort of awesome destruction was about to take place.

And finally, I ask you - After you've killed someone, don't you think that it's just a little too late to be saying complete nonsense to the dead person like "I'm sorry", and especially the most nauseating line of all "I love you"????

In my opinion, Matt's hypocritical, little speech to now-dead Andrew at the end of the film was so bloody hollow and despicable that at that point I really wished that I could've leaned over and spit right there in his stupid, smug, little face.

Sleeper movie that should have received much more attention

Author: jennifer626 from United States
17 November 2012

I stumbled across this title when I was looking through the On Demand library for a movie I haven't seen yet. I was encouraged by the positive reviews on IMDb, and they turned out to be right on target.

Chronicle compellingly explores how "real" teenagers might react to unexpectedly receiving extraordinary powers. Although I recognized none of the three young leads (or any of the supporting cast, for that matter), each actor brought depth and humanity to his role and we should see more of Dane DeHaan (Andrew) and Alex Russell (Matt)in the near future.

The teens acquire their new skills early in the film, and the first hour is spent establishing their characters and relationships. Each one deals with the abilities differently, and the movie grows increasingly dark and suspenseful as they unsuccessfully attempt to set moral guidelines for their conduct. I was literally on the edge of my seat during the last 20 minutes as the fragile framework snapped.

Definitely recommend, you will not be disappointed.

Teenagers suddenly get super powers

Author: Laakbaar from The Netherlands
18 April 2012

This is a movie that competently takes the viewer (once again) into the world of a small town American high school. The focus is on two cousins: older and cooler Matt (played by the attractive Alex Russell) and troubled Andrew (played by Dane DeHaan). One more joins the group: popular Steve (played by Michael Jordan).

A strange event occurs that gives the three special powers, specifically telekinesis and flight. Later they also seem to have super strength and at least some invulnerability. A fun part of the movie is exploring what American teenagers would do if gifted with such extraordinary powers. This is nicely portrayed and the viewer is drawn into the excitement. The flying sequences in particular were fun to watch.

At the start, the story is primarily told from Andrew's point of view, literally, because Andrew is into filming and the story takes the form of found footage. We see the world through Andrew's eyes, so we come to understand his life and his motives. However, because of his family life and emotional problems, Andrew ends up having difficulty coping with his powers. This problem becomes the focus of the last third of the movie. Will Super Andrew, our narrator, be able to find his way?

Good, but not perfect

Author: alexchloe-253-701510
17 February 2012

I loved the story of the film, and I thought that most of the acting was believable, though Andrew's father's acting in some scenes wasn't great. I also felt disappointed as I'm afraid the trailer does reveal some of the end scenes, so if you want to sea the film, don't watch the trailer.

The film was filmed with a home camcorder, which I have to admit I had to get used to, however after a while it was fine. The film also did seem to drag on a bit, however it wasn't too bad.

I thought that overall the film had lots of heart, and was a big improvement on these blockbusters which lack decent acting.

Let's go to Tibet....

Author: FlashCallahan from Leicester, United Kingdom
12 February 2012

Another found footage movie, with an edge though.

Three high school kids find a rock, and absorb some sort of power from it. Soon enough, they are able to control things using their mind, and soon enough turn on one another.

The tailer for this movie is very deceptive, as is the element of found footage, as there are obviously parts toward the end that are just like a normal movie.

But this has to be the best 'ff' movie since 'Troll Hunter', and one of the best American ones out there.

The simple being is because the film is a lot of fun, and because of it's very slim running time, we get into the action more or less straight away.

The three high school kids are good, but they are predictable, you know from the upstart that the geek is going to be the strongest, but forgive this minor blip,and there is lots to discover in this.

What makes the film fun, is the fact that they are doing exactly what we would do if we had powers. We would impress to get status, we would fly, and we would want to go somewhere cool.

But also, in the back of our minds, we know that we would have the power to do anything, and know that we would be one of the most powerful beings on earth, and this is where the film gets it's biggest credit.

One moment, the films like a big summer break, it's a happy discovery to find what you have. The next in literally a bolt of lightning, the film turns very dark, and shows its evil side.

sadly toward the end, the film ebbs toward some sort of fantastic four duel of sorts, and just becomes a tad annoying, like the main character.

But for the majority of the film, it's powerful, gripping, and most of all, a lot of fun.

It's great when films like this come out of nowhere and surprise you

Not the film you would expect!

Author: Oliviergemmanuel from Belfast
5 February 2012

This film was like "Carrie" for a new generation ,the outcast pushed to the limit by everyone around him....By saying this I am not insulting the film , quite the opposite I LOVED this film for this reason.Andrew was a superb protagonist (I am saying protagonist because he was not an antagonist , none of the main characters were antagonist and this is one of the things I also loved about the film) He was a flawed , tragic character and he was extremely endearing for it.I am man enough to say that I shed a tear for him at the end of the film. I went into the theater expecting an average Xmen meet Cloverfield type of film what I got instead was a great character piece. This film surprised the heck out of me.

Really different and includes a bit of everything

Author: jessicareid from England
8 August 2013

This was a film about three teenagers who develop incredible and fascinating powers after a strange encounter at a party. Throughout the film they learn to use and control their powers and discover new things they can do. This was a really enjoyable aspect of the film and the way characters reacted was fun to watch and felt believable.

The way Chronicle was filmed as though it was all through the main character's video cameras made it more personal and in a way more realistic as well. The three main characters were all very different and interesting in their own way and as the film goes on you see how they all deal with their new found powers differently.

What I found great about this film was how it had two very different sides. The first part was really light-hearted and comical as they try out their powers and become good friends because of their shared secrets. Then the film changed quite drastically and became quite dark as things start to go wrong and there was also a lot of great action in the latter part of them film.

I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed this film and I think it is definitely worth a watch.

B+ movie but still very good in its own way

Author: jonwharton20 from United States
12 February 2012

When I first heard about this movie three or four months ago I thought it was just another one of those movies, no matter if I saw the trailer or heard nothing but satisfying reviews about it I would avoid watching it but I was wrong once again, as I have been before about a few films.

Chronicle is every teenager's dream especially in high school where their outlook and abilities are limited but all in a fictional standpoint. As seen by the trailers, three high seniors discover an unknown radiation substance that empowers them with abilities that nobody's ever seen or had before, it's almost like a combination of different super powers that's been portrayed in past super hero films.

The movie itself is very entertaining and fun and I think most everyone would enjoy it because it covers heroics, resolution, nerve racking, happiness, and most of all a powerful antagonist. Most importantly, it involves every criteria for a movie to be successful but there are still holes in the story much like any other film today but don't let that influence your decision, it's still a good movie worth seeing on a laid back Saturday evening.

I give it a 4 our of 5.

Best case for live-action Akira so far...

Author: DarthPaul85 from Maine
9 February 2012

My expectations were low...but after seeing it, I have to say I was very impressed.

First of all, if you've seen the trailer (or Heroes, or any other superhero movie made in the last 3 years) you know exactly what's going to happen in this film. It's a stock story ("Akira" meets "Heroes"), it's been done, and the film knows this.

What wins in this movie is the sincerity of its main character, and the relentless "real world" level of drama it maintains. It would've been very easy for this film to get melodramatic or stupid, and (for the most part) it does neither. This film works because we believe (and root for) the main character. He's a clichéd character for sure, but played earnestly.

What's also great in this movie is the use of superpowers. (spoilers follow). It was a brilliant decision to give all three teens the same power, and see how each of them develops it. They use it how most real teenagers would; for fun. It definitely makes you wish you had telekinetic powers of your own.

The movie definitely had weaknesses, though. First and foremost, the "cinema verite" style doesn't work. The whole point of doing a movie in that style is to make it feel authentic, uncut, raw, etc. For example, cloverfield worked because it felt like we were seeing government archive footage. Same goes for Blair Witch. But this film completely misses the point of those films. Here we have multiple cameras, cuts (like, traditional A/B style cutting), "too-perfect" framing, and no clear sense of who had this footage or how it was put together. We even see footage from cameras that have been destroyed while the tapes were still inside them. You could argue that realism wasn't the point, and it was a stylistic choice, but even then it fails because the filmmakers refused to leave out any important visual information (again, Cloverfield, blair witch) so it comes off as feeling shot by a filmmaker anyway. District 9 proved that you don't have to justify your camera being there "in reality" to do a film that feels like it's real.

My only complaint about the actual story is that the main character makes some incredibly stupid decisions towards the end, clearly just to "get the plot moving." It's a real shame too, since there were many ways to get the guy from point A to B without dumbing him down.

My last gripe is about the special effects. I have total respect for anyone willing to make an "effect movie" that's based on hand-held footage. However, when you're competing against cloverfield and district 9, well...this movie just feels like it was "made in after effects."

So that's it! I may have gone on a bit about the movie's faults, but trust me when I say it's a well-made film. I hope the filmmakers for Akira take good notes on Chronicle, because this is almost exactly how it should be done (minus the hand-held camera gimmick).