IMDb > Chronicle (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Chronicle

Chronicle More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 48: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Why was this made as a 'found-footage' film?

Author: UnknownRealmsDotNet from Japan
22 July 2012

While not a bad film, Chronicle isn't the groundbreaking event that it is trying to be. If you aren't a teenager, or if you have even an interest in stories from other countries, you'll see beyond the surface of Chronicle. But first, lets get to the good stuff. The climactic sequence is pretty cool. It is very reminiscent of Akira (both the manga and the film), and the use of found-footage makes for a great montage of sources to bring that action to life. That said, however, the rest of the film plods along with a story that is manufactured for teens, fails to have any conflict, and is really nothing more than a origin story for a comic-book villain. The thing is all of this has been done before, and done much better. Unbreakable (origin story, which actually had conflict, and an arc to the story). Akira (some REAL mind-manipulation). Blair Witch Project, Cloverfield (found-footage that actually served the story). And I'm not really sure why they made this movie as a found-footage film. It really didn't enhance the film in any way. It was actually distracting. Because I was constantly aware that this was supposed to be a camera floating around. And I kept thinking "who would actually be carrying a camera around in this situation?" But if you are a teen, or haven't seen any of those other films then you might like... no, screw it, go see those instead.

Teenagers suddenly get super powers

Author: Laakbaar from The Netherlands
18 April 2012

This is a movie that competently takes the viewer (once again) into the world of a small town American high school. The focus is on two cousins: older and cooler Matt (played by the attractive Alex Russell) and troubled Andrew (played by Dane DeHaan). One more joins the group: popular Steve (played by Michael Jordan).

A strange event occurs that gives the three special powers, specifically telekinesis and flight. Later they also seem to have super strength and at least some invulnerability. A fun part of the movie is exploring what American teenagers would do if gifted with such extraordinary powers. This is nicely portrayed and the viewer is drawn into the excitement. The flying sequences in particular were fun to watch.

At the start, the story is primarily told from Andrew's point of view, literally, because Andrew is into filming and the story takes the form of found footage. We see the world through Andrew's eyes, so we come to understand his life and his motives. However, because of his family life and emotional problems, Andrew ends up having difficulty coping with his powers. This problem becomes the focus of the last third of the movie. Will Super Andrew, our narrator, be able to find his way?

Good, but not perfect

Author: alexchloe-253-701510
17 February 2012

I loved the story of the film, and I thought that most of the acting was believable, though Andrew's father's acting in some scenes wasn't great. I also felt disappointed as I'm afraid the trailer does reveal some of the end scenes, so if you want to sea the film, don't watch the trailer.

The film was filmed with a home camcorder, which I have to admit I had to get used to, however after a while it was fine. The film also did seem to drag on a bit, however it wasn't too bad.

I thought that overall the film had lots of heart, and was a big improvement on these blockbusters which lack decent acting.

Let's go to Tibet....

Author: FlashCallahan from Leicester, United Kingdom
12 February 2012

Another found footage movie, with an edge though.

Three high school kids find a rock, and absorb some sort of power from it. Soon enough, they are able to control things using their mind, and soon enough turn on one another.

The tailer for this movie is very deceptive, as is the element of found footage, as there are obviously parts toward the end that are just like a normal movie.

But this has to be the best 'ff' movie since 'Troll Hunter', and one of the best American ones out there.

The simple being is because the film is a lot of fun, and because of it's very slim running time, we get into the action more or less straight away.

The three high school kids are good, but they are predictable, you know from the upstart that the geek is going to be the strongest, but forgive this minor blip,and there is lots to discover in this.

What makes the film fun, is the fact that they are doing exactly what we would do if we had powers. We would impress to get status, we would fly, and we would want to go somewhere cool.

But also, in the back of our minds, we know that we would have the power to do anything, and know that we would be one of the most powerful beings on earth, and this is where the film gets it's biggest credit.

One moment, the films like a big summer break, it's a happy discovery to find what you have. The next in literally a bolt of lightning, the film turns very dark, and shows its evil side.

sadly toward the end, the film ebbs toward some sort of fantastic four duel of sorts, and just becomes a tad annoying, like the main character.

But for the majority of the film, it's powerful, gripping, and most of all, a lot of fun.

It's great when films like this come out of nowhere and surprise you

Not the film you would expect!

Author: Oliviergemmanuel from Belfast
5 February 2012

This film was like "Carrie" for a new generation ,the outcast pushed to the limit by everyone around him....By saying this I am not insulting the film , quite the opposite I LOVED this film for this reason.Andrew was a superb protagonist (I am saying protagonist because he was not an antagonist , none of the main characters were antagonist and this is one of the things I also loved about the film) He was a flawed , tragic character and he was extremely endearing for it.I am man enough to say that I shed a tear for him at the end of the film. I went into the theater expecting an average Xmen meet Cloverfield type of film what I got instead was a great character piece. This film surprised the heck out of me.

Found Footage done right

Author: CMTiago from Portugal
29 May 2014

Found Footage done right

By now I'm sure we have all had our heads done in by the found footage craze, spearheaded by the ever growing popular Paranormal Activity franchise, which I consider to be some of the most uneventful pieces of cinema today. With Chronicle we get something that I have craved for in a movie shot with hand held cameras: an actual story with interesting and complicated characters. All of our protagonists are regular people who, in the midst of acquiring powers, must find out how to deal with them and how it will affect everyone around them. The talent involved in the film is great, with all of the leads playing their roles superbly. Not only does this help the movie in its overall quality, but also allows for the audience to connect to the characters they're seeing on screen. Although the style continues to bother me, the found footage style has finally showcased its full potential with this fantastic film. If only there were more just like it.

Rating 8/10

Misguided with a good idea

Author: smijatov89 from Canada
20 July 2013

This is a tough call. While the premise is interesting, and the story quite entertaining, something's just missing with "Chronicle." It plays around with the whole superhero/villain theme, which is rather refreshing. It seems that in most sci-fi stories that involve sudden gains of power, the protagonist is always somehow good. "Chronicle" plays rather well with this notion, which is a new spin to the story -- it's the Magneto of regular superhero films. Otherwise, the biggest setback of the film is it's rather poor character development. While we are made to feel sorry for the main protagonist, Andrew, the ways that we are made to feel that way are rather clichéd: no friends, bullied at school, abusive father, etc. His rage and his inner turmoil somehow is multiplied to the verge of bursting, without it quite making a lot of sense. The three main actors were pretty decent, especially Alex Russell who was the most engaging and believable of characters. The hand-held camera, and the very choice to do a camera perspective for the entire film, is a rather divisive choice as I have come to see in reviews, but I did not mind it all that much. The escalation of the story by the end somehow happened out of nowhere and escalated quite dramatically. A bit too much for my taste, with a rather anticlimactic ending. It was a nicely conceived idea and some great visuals can be seen in the film, but this falls into the mediocre bracket easily. 5/10

Sleeper movie that should have received much more attention

Author: jennifer626 from United States
17 November 2012

I stumbled across this title when I was looking through the On Demand library for a movie I haven't seen yet. I was encouraged by the positive reviews on IMDb, and they turned out to be right on target.

Chronicle compellingly explores how "real" teenagers might react to unexpectedly receiving extraordinary powers. Although I recognized none of the three young leads (or any of the supporting cast, for that matter), each actor brought depth and humanity to his role and we should see more of Dane DeHaan (Andrew) and Alex Russell (Matt)in the near future.

The teens acquire their new skills early in the film, and the first hour is spent establishing their characters and relationships. Each one deals with the abilities differently, and the movie grows increasingly dark and suspenseful as they unsuccessfully attempt to set moral guidelines for their conduct. I was literally on the edge of my seat during the last 20 minutes as the fragile framework snapped.

Definitely recommend, you will not be disappointed.

A disappointed optimist

Author: Glock_Boy from South Dakota
29 June 2012

I'm an optimist. The reviews for this movie were all over the place. I wanted to believe the good ones. I was hoping the plethora of bad reviews were just lame attempts to drive the rating score down. I was wrong.

The premise was intriguing to me, even if it wasn't original. But the execution failed on several levels.

The characters were not likable. They were just hormonal idiots. That's the fatal flaw. The nonsensical ways these fools use their new powers just makes you shake your head.

Imagine you have these new powers and abilities. What would you do with that? Think about all of the great things you could accomplish. Instead we are lead down a road of violence and murder. The screen writing was weak. A great premise wasted.

Here's a question for you: You need money because your mom is dying. You have super powers of levitation and strength. Do you: A. Grab some ATMs and get the money you need or, B. Rob a convenience store and get shot?

I hate movies that have promise that deliver so very little. In this case, I did not get my $1.25 value from this movie rental.

B+ movie but still very good in its own way

Author: jonwharton20 from United States
12 February 2012

When I first heard about this movie three or four months ago I thought it was just another one of those movies, no matter if I saw the trailer or heard nothing but satisfying reviews about it I would avoid watching it but I was wrong once again, as I have been before about a few films.

Chronicle is every teenager's dream especially in high school where their outlook and abilities are limited but all in a fictional standpoint. As seen by the trailers, three high seniors discover an unknown radiation substance that empowers them with abilities that nobody's ever seen or had before, it's almost like a combination of different super powers that's been portrayed in past super hero films.

The movie itself is very entertaining and fun and I think most everyone would enjoy it because it covers heroics, resolution, nerve racking, happiness, and most of all a powerful antagonist. Most importantly, it involves every criteria for a movie to be successful but there are still holes in the story much like any other film today but don't let that influence your decision, it's still a good movie worth seeing on a laid back Saturday evening.

I give it a 4 our of 5.