IMDb > Chronicle (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Chronicle

Chronicle More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 45: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Interesting start and middle. Poor ending. Annoying Camera.

Author: james-203-429510 from Melbourne
10 February 2014

I thought the concept was really cool. A couple of regular kids find themselves with super- human powers and have to come to terms with this new, amazing, scare reality like only teenagers know how: through experimentation - the good, the bad, the ugly. The plot, I felt, didn't know where it wanted to go. I think whoever wrote the script knew he/she had a great concept, but just couldn't take it to where it needed to go; like 2/3 of the way through, a big chuck of cryptonite fell onto the writer's lap. Also, the hand-held camera action... it had credibility for about three scenes... then the reasons for having to constantly film lost all credibility. All up, had huge potential, but a few obvious and major flaws turned it into a bit of a tomato.

A Surprisingly Thoughtful Found Footage Flick

Author: griffolyon12 from United States
3 December 2012

I am generally not a fan of found footage movies. From Blair Witch Project to Cloverfield, I've never really felt that these films had much to say. They were gimmicks used to get cheap thrills, or to tell a conventional story that has nothing else going for it than the found footage angle, but what Chronicle does, is that it not only plays on the superhero genre, but it also works as a fascinating expose on modern teenage culture.

The premise is simple, a teenage outcast takes to videotaping his life, then one night him and two other guys travel into a mysterious cave, and when they emerge they all have telekinetic powers. The film then doesn't bother itself with being a superhero film, but rather a realistic exploration of what would more than likely actually happen if teenagers got super powers in real life. Well, they'd abuse them of course.

Actor Dane Dehaan is the thread that holds the whole movie together, as outcast teen, Andrew, filming his whole life. By choosing to do the found footage approach, it shortchanges all of the other characters, but makes Andrew's character all the stronger, and it actually portrays an outcast's turn to violence, with more clarity than films without the fantastical elements. In a world such as the one we live in, it's surprising to find a film that is so socially minded, wrapped up in a film that will appeal to the crowd that most needs to see this cautionary tale. While it isn't perfect, or by any means all that rewatchable, it's a genuine surprise that is worth seeing.

I give Chronicle an 8 out of 10!

A sci-fi that was a pleasant surprise

Author: normb1-1 from Orange County, CA., United States
24 November 2012

This was a movie that surprised me in a good way. The acting was better than normal, the script even more so, but the special effects, for a low budget movie, were spot on. The teens in the movie and for the most part, everyone, acted like real people, doing ordinary things and dealing with challenges, including the pending death of the main character's Mother. What especially appealed to me was that the kids dabbled in their powers, growing more bold each time, and doing stupid, silly things, just like ALL of us would do. The death of the first main character, Steve, was sad as he was the one that brought a sense of fun to having these awesome powers. As the effects of Steve's death and the guilt took its toll, the movie now spiraled into darker territory.

As we hit the last third, when Andrew gets desperate for funds and starts his robbery spree, we know he and we are venturing in the Dark Zone and it will end badly. It does, but all the fighting and action sequences are extremely well done and the ending leaves you fulfilled in how it played out.

This was a "small move" that I barely heard about when it hit the theaters, and happened to find on cable. I recommend it, it's worth the short running time of less that 90 minutes and you'll get a kick from it.

Limitless Power

Author: Raul Faust from Joinville, Brazil
21 August 2012

Matt is a regular popular guy. Steve is a regular guy. Andrew is a regular nerd. Their friendship is a little weird to understand in the beginning, since they're not that similar to each other. One night they're heading to a party and one of them falls in a hole. The other two fellas go down together, and in that hole something gives them strong powers, which allow them to do anything they feel like doing. As the film goes, Andrew starts abusing of his power and hurting people for no reason. Matt and Steve try to calm him down, but they never succeed. Acting is very good from the three main actors, with no exception. The whole story is VERY entertaining and interesting, probably helped by a strong directing and a beautiful photography directing. The only thing that doesn't let me give this a higher rating is the saturated use of domestic camera-- not that I find this a bad choice, but too many movies used this tactics recently.

A Pleasant Surprise

Author: JimSpy from Phoenix, AZ
27 July 2012

I have to admit to being pleasantly surprised at the quality of "Chronicle." As soon as I read that it was another "found footage" movie, I was ready to dismiss it. Glad that I didn't. It's the best of the genre, way better than "Paranormal Activity" or "Cloverfield" (and let's not even mention "Blair Witch"). For starters, there's none of the nauseating "camera shaking" meant to remind you that an amateur is filming. (Don't we go to movies to see PROFESSIONAL camera work? Otherwise I'll watch my family's old home movies from trips to Europe!) And the acting is really quite superb - you nod your head and say, yeah, that's exactly how today's teens would act in these circumstances.

There are some exquisitely done special effects, probably nothing ground-breaking, but a couple of "how'd they do that" moments. And there is welcome departure from some worn-out movie clichés.

All in all, two thumbs up.

And don't be surprised if there's a "Chronicle II."

Great movie about power

Author: lrtownsend1 from United States
24 July 2012

This is a great movie. It shows the truth behind power, and how it can effect certain people. Now a days movies and stories that have super heroes show two sides to gaining power, becoming a good superhero or a bad supervillan. They don't show the actual struggle of fighting a power that is stronger than the human who gained it. This movie does show that. they don't put on a mask and start fighting crime, they do what anyone their age would do. Use it for pranks and messing with people. They use the powers in a more realistic way, its probably the same way I would react. Then the film turns and shows how the power affects Andrew. He turns into a crazy power house, killing anyone because he can. Someone with his background would end up the same way. He could not handle all that power and he let it overtake him. This film tells the story perfectly. The acting was great and so was the effects. The scene where they fly through the clouds took my breath away, it looked so real. This is a good movie for any sci-fi fan, or superhero fan. I strongly recommend it.

With great powers comes great opportunities

Author: adi_2002 from Sfantu Gheorghe, Covasna, Romania
8 October 2013

Like destroying the city. Andrew is the high school loser. He purchase a video camera in order to film his daily activities at home and at school but also for beat boredom from his lonely life. He has one friend who spend most of his time and one night at a party Andrew is mocked by a guy and he wake up in the parking, where is found by another colleague Steve and all three walks around until they discover a strange hall in the ground and being curious Steve enters then Matt and Andrew follows him. They encounter a strange crystal that seems to be out of this world and after being in contact with it all three have the power to move object around them without touching them. Starting with small objects to bigger then even persons they learn that will be put in the position to fight for their trust and for their life.

The movie is good but not extraordinary I think the rating is a little exaggerated. The special effects were good but the story too torpid. OK they received the power of telekinesis but to humble innocent peoples in public places? Why? Because they didn't get along with the powers and some brain. So now they can fly like Superman? Those who posses this powers can move object around them but I don't think buses are among them. That's why I said the film is undue. My opinion is that the movie should not be praised and be considered ordinary.

This was amazing (Quik review)

Author: mariogamer2000
18 June 2013

So I eventually got around to watching this and I must say what a surprise.

I do like found footage films, and I've been a fan of the genre since the blair which, but this film took the genre to a whole different level. This isn't no cheap effects film where the camera is always shaking because there's nothing to show, this film had fantastic effects. And did very well for its budget.

The acting was great, I was convinced the whole time as a viewer that these teenagers had those abilities, as anyone if they got those abilities would be having fun and doing stupid pranks. But as they get stronger the whole film changed into a 'matrixy super man' type of film. Without spoiling too much, it has its fair share of flying around and great action sequences.

I must say this one of the most original films I've every seen and better yet the best found footage film ever made. This film was short but takes you on a great adventure all the way through and even emotional at times.

So for this my overall rating is, 5 starts (10/10) And also the best found footage film ever made, alongside Blair which, Clover field, End of watch.

Quietly Awesome

Author: Rollum from Australia
26 April 2013

I watched a preview of this film and i got the wrong impression so i put off seeing the movie. The preview looked cheap and nasty both in production and in cast. I was wrong. I was reminded of Cloverfield as i watched this movie.

The main characters where being filmed with a standard video camera, just doing what they do, when something happens and the story becomes something else entirely. I have been waiting for an unnatural accident or encounter that would infuse me with super human abilities since i was four years old. If your the same you will enjoy this unassuming story.

Its fun and surprisingly good to spite a little bit of plot predictability like the character Andrew Detmer (Dane DeHaan).There are flying scenes that are very satisfying and convincing - special effects that contrast the low budget feel of the production. The hand held camera scenes are steady and work well. Slightly less predictable was the characters of both Matt Garetty(Alex Russell)and Steve Montgomery (Michael B. Jordan). I got a lot of unexpected surprises from this interesting super hero story. Well balanced and very entertaining.

Surprisingly Cool 'Found Footage' Film

Author: brando647 from Spring Hill, FL
26 August 2012

I love a good comic book/superhero movie. They're my weakness, and I'm open to giving just about all of them a fair chance (for example, I paid to see RISE OF THE SILVER SURFER in theaters despite being well aware of how lame the first movie came out). While I am a massive fan of comic films, it doesn't mean that I'm blind to the fact that they have become a little formulaic in their execution. Whenever a new superhero is brought to the silver screen, regardless of how well it's done, you always sort of know what to expect. So I am incredibly supportive of any effort that tries to rattle the system a bit and attempt something different with one of my favorite genres. CHRONICLE is just that: a new spin on a popular genre. The characters in this movie aren't from any established comic book series; the story is completely original and written by Max Landis (son of director John Landis). Three teenagers in Seattle are exposed to some bizarre alien object buried in a field and soon find that they have developed telekinetic abilities. Andrew Detmer is your average socially awkward teenager, quietly coping with a terminally ill mother and an abusive alcoholic father. His closest "friend" is his philosophical cousin Matt and he fails to connect with any of his classmates, including captain of the football team/future class president Steve Montgomery. The three of them are brought together by their fantastic circumstances and start off using their powers for pranks and fun, but everything soon spirals out of control.

CHRONICLE was Josh Trank's directorial debut. The man was only 27 when it was released, and it went on to gross $125 million. I don't care who you are, that's impressive. I dug this movie a lot more than I expected. The trailers had piqued my curiosity but the whole "found footage" angle has been so overplayed in recent years (sometimes well, sometimes not) that I wasn't in any rush. The entire movie plays out from the perspective of Andrew's personal video camera because his life is so miserable that he's decided to record it for whatever reason. Regardless, the format works out perfectly in the context of the movie. The movie is at an advantage not shared by other found footage movies in that it's character/cameraman uses his telekinesis to float the camera around, achieving angles that other movies of this format can't. It also had the good thinking to not limit itself to Andrew's personal camera, as they are many moments in the film cutting to other recording devices in the vicinity to capture the scene, whether it be a camera phone, a security camera, or internet video blogger Casey Letter (Ashley Hinshaw) who's only real purpose in the movie appears to be to act as a second viewpoint. The home video style has the added bonus of making the effects in the movie, impressive enough on their own, appear more authentic. When these friends are engaging in their pranks with their newfound powers, it looks legit.

The movie stars a bunch of unknowns, of course, and it probably wouldn't have worked any other way. Fortunately, the non-stars in this movie have enough talent to come off as real high school students in a bizarre situation. Michael B. Jordan is charismatic as the football star, and Alex Russell does well enough as Matt, the voice of reason who decides one fateful afternoon that rules need to be set when things get a little out of control. But the real talent here is Dane DeHaan as Andrew Detmer, the true focal point of the movie. While all three of these kids received the powers, the story truly focuses on him. He's from a dysfunctional home with an abusive father, and he's never had any real friends to speak of. He's a walking joke at school, made even more awkward when he decides to start carrying his camera everywhere. He's a ticking time bomb and fate has just turned him into a weapon of mass destruction, with only a shred of self-control keeping him from going off. He's a vulnerable, lonely kid who finally feels like part of something and his eventual downfall when the pressure becomes too much feels sincere and you can't help but feel for the kid. And when he does finally meltdown, it pretty awesome. CHRONICLE was one of my surprise favorites at the start of 2012, so I'm glad I gave it go.