IMDb > Chronicle (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Chronicle

Chronicle More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 45: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

I just watched Darth Vader's origin story. It's called Chronicle.

Author: Darkfrog24 from New Jersey
11 February 2012

I was not expecting that movie to be that good as art. It helps that Dane DeHaan looks like a young Mark Hamill with Alex Russel as his guy-in-the-rough Han Solo. We see an on-screen transformation of both characters, Andrew into a supervillain and Matt into a human being.

This was how three teenagers would act if they suddenly had superpowers. It's full of joking and wonderfully knuckleheaded guy stuff. Visually, the flight effects can be awkward, but that did help contribute to the sense of acrophobia during the cloud scenes that we don't experience in most superhero movies. With Superman, we feel safe. With Andrew, Steve and Matt, we're waiting for the inevitable shoe to drop.

This movie is daring. It leaves out information and expository scenes that most filmmakers would assume was required. As we see at the end: It's not about the answers; it's that the characters have grown to the point where they're finally asking the right questions.

This isn't only a wonderful deconstruction of superpowers; it's also a commentary on the psychology of friendship and group dynamics. What the character Steve keeps trying to say is that Andrew just needed to find one thing that he was good at, and it DID NOT MATTER what it was. When Andrew stops thinking that he's a loser, so does everyone else--as we see in the wonderful scene when Andrew's mother asks him to say, "I'm stronger than all of this," on camera. We see that it's the first time he believes it.

Pleasant Surprise

Author: doubledeuce444 from United States
17 February 2012

As a lot of the other reviewers, I went into this movie with mediocre expectations and not only did the movie meet them but exceeded them very high. This is one of the best movies I have seen in awhile. The first 40 minutes makes it out to be a teen-buddy movie then in the second half it does a complete 180 that you do not see coming at all. I was on the edge of my seat throughout the second half. Special effects were very impressive as a lot of it looks very real. Also very strong performances by some new fresh face actors, especially the ones that played Matt and Andrew. I see them having a bright future in Hollyweird. Overall, I recommend to see in theater. 8/10

Author: silversmith27 from India
8 February 2012

3 friends discover telekinetic abilities in a hole in the ground, literally. But that is where the similarity with the rest of the Superhero movies ends. They don't feel obligated to wear capes and masks and go around the city fighting injustice. They're just being boys with an incredibly powerful toy. That's until Andrew's troubled personality, magnified manifold by his new found power and his ability to wield it, goes completely cuckoo.

What's good : The trailer projected Chronicle as an action flick. However its actually a coming-of-age story of a troubled boy, whose rage just gets amplified with his new-found powers. The acting from the small, young cast is good, especially from the 3 leads. Dane DeHaan is brilliant as Andrew, the primary character of interest in Chronicle. He's the guy whose camera is 'chronicling' the developments in this movie. The fact that DeHaan looks like a cross between Leonardo DiCaprio and a very young Mick Jagger adds greater appeal to his character. The special effects are top notch and in spite of the fact that it was filmed on a relatively meager budget of $12-15Mn, Chronicle has at least 4 scenes that any other movie due later this year will struggle to outshine. Keep an eye out for the airplane scene.

Whats not : The fact that there is a sequel coming was conveyed rather blatantly in the closing scene. Good thing is, I cant wait for it! There's a lot of shaky camera-work in the beginning which can cause dizziness. But things get easier when Andrew discovers God mode (camera levitation) Verdict : For folks who like sci-fi, superhero films or simply crave an 83 minute adrenaline rush, this is a must watch.

My rating : 10/10!

This movie, like many others, wasted my time

Author: annaD from Romania
6 March 2012

I was not going to write a review for this movie, but after seeing the overall score and how most of the people raved about it, I just had to say something.

This movie barely kept my interest for the first hour. I saw my share of found footage films, and by no means is this one of the best. The camera work is too shaky, the dialog is boring - people talked so much about that camera that frankly it became the main character (I am not kidding - they had entire conversations about that damn camera, and kept reminding the audience someone is filming) and the characters are people I couldn't care less about. I mean, if, by the end of the movie, there is no interesting story, no characters I sympathize with and no scares, what is there left for me to like?

I did like the premise, but the trailer was misleading as I thought the storyline of the origin of their powers and their effect on others will be at least investigated if not explained. Nothing happened, except the mental deterioration of the main character, which was to be expected (I mean, common, abused kid with self confidence issues, who did not see that coming?). The "climax" of the movie, if you want to call it that, lasted about 10 minutes.

As usual, potential does not translate directly in success - there is more to an entertaining movie than the good idea it is based on.

A showcase for a slew of young turks...

Author: MrGKB from Ohio
15 August 2012

...said up-and-comers being tyro director, Josh "The Kill Point" Trank, writer, Max "I am my father's son" Landis, and lead actors, Dane "Lawless" DeHaan, Alex "Carrie (2013)" Russell, and Michael B. "Red Tails" Jordan. In a tale that riffs on ancient Greek admonitions about hubris and the Judeo-Christian equivalent, "pride goeth before a fall," "Chronicle"'s three high-schoolers discover a strange artifact that transforms them into superhumans (powerful telekinesis, flying, relative invulnerability). The results are eventually tragic, although the film ends on a note of hope and redemption. The trip along the way is refreshingly well done, an examination of the nature of the superman without the embarrassment of comic book adolescence. No spandex costumes, no crime-fighting, adventure-seeking nonsense, just a thoughtful examination of Lord Acton's famous adage, "Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely," which he expanded upon thus, "Great men are almost always bad men." The "found footage" presentation makes it immediately accessible, especially since there's a notable dearth of shaky-cam so often associated with that conceit.

I note with interest that the trinity of leads all have biblical names closely associated with the New Testament: Stephen (Steve) was an early Christian martyr, while Andrew and Matthew (Matt) were Apostles of Jesus. Coupled with Andrew's interest in Tibetan mysticism and Matt's eventual journey there, along with Andrew's dramatic arc akin to a male version of "Carrie" ramped up a few orders of magnitude, this can't be accidental. References to folks like Schopenhauer and Jung highlight Andrew's ultimate belief that he has become an "apex predator," thus making the tragic finale all the more inevitable.

Still, despite a satisfying close to the story (which I will not spoil), there's plenty of wiggle room for a sequel, and given that this brisk (running time less than 75 minutes by my DVD clock, not counting credits) sci-fantasy made a very handsome profit, I have little doubt there will be one. We can only hope that Landis gets to script it. Recommended.

One of the only good found-footage movies

Author: Yacoob Malik from Canada
27 May 2012

This movie starts out like any movie. You have a kid that is bullied at school, abused by his father, has a dying mom, is socially awkward, and is in high school. He buys a camera and tells his dad, "I'm recording everything from here on in." You think his life is going to stay the same, like all teenage movies. But at a party, he, his cousin, and his cousin's friend go into a hole they find in a forest, which contains a supernatural crystal which gives them all nosebleeds. The movie flashes forward when they are discovering their new powers which include telekinesis and flight. But the kid, Andrew, starts to become corrupted with these powers. The second half of the film is about him exploiting these powers and killing people. The climax is intense, poignant, and wonderful.

This movie was excellent. It was timed beautifully and made with skill, precision, and knowledge. It was a pleasure to watch, and probably the best found footage movie I have ever seen, taking into consideration Cloverfield and Paranormal Activity. The climax was beautiful and the very end was sad. I couldn't help but cry at the last scene.

One thing this movie could do to improve is make it easier to tell who is filming. It got confusing at some parts and not very enjoyable.

An intense movie, definitely worth seeing

Author: achsaphillippi8
7 February 2012

Finally a different kind of superhero movie! This movie does not involve super villains, spandex outfits, or a love story. This is the story of three normal high school kids who gain extraordinary powers, and begin using them for their own pleasure. This is a story of how great power can lead to great corruption. It also shows you what bullying, isolation, and ridicule could do to a person.

The movie starts out fairly well; it sets up the everyday life of the main character who holds the camera for most of the movie. He comes from a broken home, and is harassed and bullied in school. You go through the whole movie feeling sorry for him, no matter what happens. The main character, his cousin, and their friend discover something that grants them amazing telepathic abilities, and the movie really begins to open up.

The great thing about the middle portion of the movie is its light-hearted tone. As the three guys fool around with their new abilities, you smile, laugh, and gasp in awe along with them. And then the tone darkens. It's amazing to see the character developments later on, and it's easy to feel sympathy and pain for the characters. As certain things start to go bad, it's not hard to feel a sense of desperation and intensity as the events unfold.

Along with the characters and the story, the camera work and special effects really add another dimension to the movie. It's easy to see what is going on, as the shaky-camera technique is not abused in this movie. The dark tunnels, the cloudy skies, and the emotional interactions between the characters were very well done. In the scene high in the clouds, you can actually feel a sense of weightlessness. The action scenes are very intense, and will keep you on the edge of your seat.

I won't give anything from the end away, but I will say that it was a very good wrap-up for all the events that had occurred before. It seemed like the best way to bring the conflicts to an end.

I definitely recommend this movie for all who want to see something fairly new among movies about superheroes. There are no super villains, no costumes, and no love story, rather it's a story about being at war with yourself, friendship, and strength. It also teaches you a lesson: don't ever ridicule someone for being different, especially if you have no idea what kind of background they come from. It's worth every dollar and every minute of your time.

not worth anyones time

Author: spno2
7 April 2012

k special effects seamless, filming terrible, dialog terrible, its like the Blair witch project without the flair (not that it had any) don't waste your time watching movies like this, you want to watch a film of your friends doing stupid stuff go outside and film it yourself it will turn out better than this movie. The plot about the abused high school kid who decides to film everything is not bad if it were a serious movie about bullying shown in schools, this seems like another attempt to make a really cheap movie and steal as much cash from people as possible, (although some special effects are OK, the whole flight scene was a waste of time)and yes the special effects would have cost a penny or two, it still seems like any first year film student could have thrown it together.

Found Footage done right

Author: CMTiago from Portugal
29 May 2014

Found Footage done right

By now I'm sure we have all had our heads done in by the found footage craze, spearheaded by the ever growing popular Paranormal Activity franchise, which I consider to be some of the most uneventful pieces of cinema today. With Chronicle we get something that I have craved for in a movie shot with hand held cameras: an actual story with interesting and complicated characters. All of our protagonists are regular people who, in the midst of acquiring powers, must find out how to deal with them and how it will affect everyone around them. The talent involved in the film is great, with all of the leads playing their roles superbly. Not only does this help the movie in its overall quality, but also allows for the audience to connect to the characters they're seeing on screen. Although the style continues to bother me, the found footage style has finally showcased its full potential with this fantastic film. If only there were more just like it.

Rating 8/10

Interesting start and middle. Poor ending. Annoying Camera.

Author: james-203-429510 from Melbourne
10 February 2014

I thought the concept was really cool. A couple of regular kids find themselves with super- human powers and have to come to terms with this new, amazing, scare reality like only teenagers know how: through experimentation - the good, the bad, the ugly. The plot, I felt, didn't know where it wanted to go. I think whoever wrote the script knew he/she had a great concept, but just couldn't take it to where it needed to go; like 2/3 of the way through, a big chuck of cryptonite fell onto the writer's lap. Also, the hand-held camera action... it had credibility for about three scenes... then the reasons for having to constantly film lost all credibility. All up, had huge potential, but a few obvious and major flaws turned it into a bit of a tomato.