IMDb > Chronicle (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Chronicle

Chronicle More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 48: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

A True Masterpiece

Author: Emile Isopescu from United Kingdom
28 May 2012

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to see this film on the big screen, but after viewing the trailers I was quick to pre-order it on DVD. I cut myself out from the world of Chronicle so as to avoid any spoilers or opinions, leaving me going into this film with a fresh mind, a blank canvas.

If my mind was the canvas, and this film was the artist, then it has just painted a masterpiece. I have seen tons of films, yet this one seems to have left a massive, lasting impression on me. It's an interesting take on the 'found-footage' sub-genre and it's incredible. We first see these seemingly normal high-school boys, one of which is the classic quiet and disturbed teenager who has a bad family life. The way this film deals with his life is perfect and it's entirely believable.

The thing that drew me into this film the most is what they do with their new-found abilities. In reality, if we acquired super-human abilities our first thoughts wouldn't be to help people. We are only human, after all, and thus we would pursue money, fame or popularity. This is especially true for teenage boys who are naturally reckless. The film is soaked in originality and if you're obsessed with super-human films like myself, it will leave your heart racing and your mind so blown it will be splattered all over the floor.

The story isn't exactly unique but it somehow manages to tell that familiar super-human story in a new way. The reason that the main character acquires the camera is natural and it's something that you can imagine someone doing in his position.

To tie it all together in a wonderfully neat package is the visual effects. The effects are fantastic and it all adds to the realism. The flying effects and fight scenes are all fantastically well done and it's worth seeing just for that!

All in all, great film. Whether your into super-human movies or not, go and see it. You will not disappointed.

Telekinesis and Flight Caught on Video

Author: Prince AJB
11 February 2012

Hearing that this movie was a "found footage" film, I felt skeptical because I don't have a particular interest in this type of films. I just don't like the shaking, and the shots present in these types of films. But then as I watched the film, I had my worries settled and found it to be an immensely entertaining sci-fi film.

"Chronicle" is a sci-fi film shot in a "found footage" style focusing on three teen guys: Andrew (a shy, unsociable, and unpopular guy), Matt (a normal guy), and Steve (some student who's into politics). One night in a party, they investigate a mysterious hole and encounter a mysterious crystal that grants them the powers of telekinesis and later on, flight.

That's right, telekinesis (the ability to move objects mentally) and flight. These three guys then use their powers to their likings by committing pranks on people, creating the illusion of performing magic, and other activities for fun. However, one of the trio starts using his powers in a more dangerous scale and soon starts causing trouble.

Let's get back to the "found footage" format. The reason why I love this movie is because its "footage" style is different than that of other films. By having the characters possess telekinetic abilities, this allows the scenes to be progress smoothly for most of the time. And sometimes, this makes the movie look as if it had been shot without the "found footage" style.

The acting itself was satisfying. Introducing a group of unknown cast,we can discover new talents. The three leads are okay considering they aren't big yet in Hollywood. The rest of the cast were also fine and their performances are above average.

Another reason why this movie is special is because of its running time. Running at just over 83 minutes, the film has a lot of content in it and most of the scenes are sensible and flow into the next ones smoothly. When I got up to leave the theater, I looked at my watch and was like "What? That was only 83 minutes? That's very impressive!"

"Chronicle" is an entertaining sci-film shot using the "found footage" style and is very fun to watch. Considering its relatively low budget of $12 million, I have to say this movie is very impressive compared to many disappointing big-budgeted films. I definitely recommend this film to all you readers because this is just impressive. And don't be fooled by its small budget; this movie redefines the meaning of low-budget films.

Final Verdict: Shot in the "found footage" style, "Chronicle" is a satisfying sci-film that redefines the meaning of low-budget films.

Definitely not about superheroes

Author: eyeintrees from Australia
26 April 2015

Hmmmm... where to begin... well, due to good reviews on IMDb and Rotten Toms, guess what, I wasted my money and time on this really ugly, miserable rather ordinary and banal piece of nonsense.

Basically, it's the old story of how rage occurs when parents abuse their children, which is always tragic and which always has terrible consequences. In an attempt to put a new spin on an old human trauma-based social issue, the movie makers create a few tricks and some ... er.... whatever... about three teens coming into contact with deep underground crystals and developing paranormal powers.

Blood, tears, death, misery and a bunch of stuff occurs and oddly, in this day and age when police tend to shoot to kill and ask questions later, nah uh, not in this pic... first, they allowed their entire police force to be annihilated, whilst yelling politely, 'Stop right there, stop right there...' while buildings topple, buses are smashed into tenth story windows and cars are sent into oblivion... naturally... perhaps if all of this hadn't been in this terrible movie, we might have had to have a story and a conclusion not based on sentimental sloppy, lazy, lazy, lazy movie making.

I just watched Darth Vader's origin story. It's called Chronicle.

Author: Darkfrog24 from New Jersey
11 February 2012

I was not expecting that movie to be that good as art. It helps that Dane DeHaan looks like a young Mark Hamill with Alex Russel as his guy-in-the-rough Han Solo. We see an on-screen transformation of both characters, Andrew into a supervillain and Matt into a human being.

This was how three teenagers would act if they suddenly had superpowers. It's full of joking and wonderfully knuckleheaded guy stuff. Visually, the flight effects can be awkward, but that did help contribute to the sense of acrophobia during the cloud scenes that we don't experience in most superhero movies. With Superman, we feel safe. With Andrew, Steve and Matt, we're waiting for the inevitable shoe to drop.

This movie is daring. It leaves out information and expository scenes that most filmmakers would assume was required. As we see at the end: It's not about the answers; it's that the characters have grown to the point where they're finally asking the right questions.

This isn't only a wonderful deconstruction of superpowers; it's also a commentary on the psychology of friendship and group dynamics. What the character Steve keeps trying to say is that Andrew just needed to find one thing that he was good at, and it DID NOT MATTER what it was. When Andrew stops thinking that he's a loser, so does everyone else--as we see in the wonderful scene when Andrew's mother asks him to say, "I'm stronger than all of this," on camera. We see that it's the first time he believes it.

An intense movie, definitely worth seeing

Author: achsaphillippi8
7 February 2012

Finally a different kind of superhero movie! This movie does not involve super villains, spandex outfits, or a love story. This is the story of three normal high school kids who gain extraordinary powers, and begin using them for their own pleasure. This is a story of how great power can lead to great corruption. It also shows you what bullying, isolation, and ridicule could do to a person.

The movie starts out fairly well; it sets up the everyday life of the main character who holds the camera for most of the movie. He comes from a broken home, and is harassed and bullied in school. You go through the whole movie feeling sorry for him, no matter what happens. The main character, his cousin, and their friend discover something that grants them amazing telepathic abilities, and the movie really begins to open up.

The great thing about the middle portion of the movie is its light-hearted tone. As the three guys fool around with their new abilities, you smile, laugh, and gasp in awe along with them. And then the tone darkens. It's amazing to see the character developments later on, and it's easy to feel sympathy and pain for the characters. As certain things start to go bad, it's not hard to feel a sense of desperation and intensity as the events unfold.

Along with the characters and the story, the camera work and special effects really add another dimension to the movie. It's easy to see what is going on, as the shaky-camera technique is not abused in this movie. The dark tunnels, the cloudy skies, and the emotional interactions between the characters were very well done. In the scene high in the clouds, you can actually feel a sense of weightlessness. The action scenes are very intense, and will keep you on the edge of your seat.

I won't give anything from the end away, but I will say that it was a very good wrap-up for all the events that had occurred before. It seemed like the best way to bring the conflicts to an end.

I definitely recommend this movie for all who want to see something fairly new among movies about superheroes. There are no super villains, no costumes, and no love story, rather it's a story about being at war with yourself, friendship, and strength. It also teaches you a lesson: don't ever ridicule someone for being different, especially if you have no idea what kind of background they come from. It's worth every dollar and every minute of your time.

Pleasant Surprise

Author: doubledeuce444 from United States
17 February 2012

As a lot of the other reviewers, I went into this movie with mediocre expectations and not only did the movie meet them but exceeded them very high. This is one of the best movies I have seen in awhile. The first 40 minutes makes it out to be a teen-buddy movie then in the second half it does a complete 180 that you do not see coming at all. I was on the edge of my seat throughout the second half. Special effects were very impressive as a lot of it looks very real. Also very strong performances by some new fresh face actors, especially the ones that played Matt and Andrew. I see them having a bright future in Hollyweird. Overall, I recommend to see in theater. 8/10

Author: silversmith27 from India
8 February 2012

3 friends discover telekinetic abilities in a hole in the ground, literally. But that is where the similarity with the rest of the Superhero movies ends. They don't feel obligated to wear capes and masks and go around the city fighting injustice. They're just being boys with an incredibly powerful toy. That's until Andrew's troubled personality, magnified manifold by his new found power and his ability to wield it, goes completely cuckoo.

What's good : The trailer projected Chronicle as an action flick. However its actually a coming-of-age story of a troubled boy, whose rage just gets amplified with his new-found powers. The acting from the small, young cast is good, especially from the 3 leads. Dane DeHaan is brilliant as Andrew, the primary character of interest in Chronicle. He's the guy whose camera is 'chronicling' the developments in this movie. The fact that DeHaan looks like a cross between Leonardo DiCaprio and a very young Mick Jagger adds greater appeal to his character. The special effects are top notch and in spite of the fact that it was filmed on a relatively meager budget of $12-15Mn, Chronicle has at least 4 scenes that any other movie due later this year will struggle to outshine. Keep an eye out for the airplane scene.

Whats not : The fact that there is a sequel coming was conveyed rather blatantly in the closing scene. Good thing is, I cant wait for it! There's a lot of shaky camera-work in the beginning which can cause dizziness. But things get easier when Andrew discovers God mode (camera levitation) Verdict : For folks who like sci-fi, superhero films or simply crave an 83 minute adrenaline rush, this is a must watch.

My rating : 10/10!

You Are not a Bad Person?

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
29 June 2013

The shy, lonely and outcast teenager Andrew Detmer (Dane DeHaan)is bullied and has no friends at high-school and lives with his abusive and alcoholic father Richard Detmer (Michael Kelly) and his terminal mother Karen (Bo Petersen). Matt buys a camera to film his everyday.

His cousin Matt Garetty (Alex Russell) drives him to school and invites Andrew to go to a party at night. They meet their schoolmate Steve Montgomery (Michael B. Jordan) in the party and they overhear a noise and find a hole in a field. They decide to explore the underground and they acquire powers. Soon the trio learns how to control their telekinetic abilities and Andrew becomes the most powerful. But he easily loses his temper and becomes dangerous while Matt tries to control him. When his mother needs a medicine and Andrew does not have enough money to buy it, his darker side overcomes and he becomes a menace.

"Chronicle" is a movie with potential that could have been a great movie, but It is not. The story is a sort of "Carrie" with more characters, with three teenagers acquiring telekinetic abilities and one of them abused and timid that is pushed to the limit; awful camera in the style of "The Blair Witch Project" and awesome special effects. The three friends are terribly developed – a loser, a pretentious intellectual and a popular guy – but the worst is the ridiculous conclusion. Matt goes to the Tibet and tells to the camera that Andrew is not a bad person. They guy has killed his best friend, several innocent people on the streets and destroyed properties but he is Mr. Nice Guy since he had problems with his father. It is really a great message for the crazies that sometimes commit mass murders. My vote is six.

Title (Brazil): "Poder Sem Limites" ("Power without Limits")

Superpowers without superheroes

Author: The Couchpotatoes from Belgium
23 January 2017

I'm normally not a big fan of the handycam filming technique. In the beginning it was all new and okay but personally I think they should stop that technique. It doesn't do movies any good. Not that Chronicle is a bad movie though. It's definitely something else then the usual superhero movies that we see so much lately. Here three kids get telekinetic super powers after discovering a strange thing underground. What starts as a bit of fun quickly escalates in catastrophes. The story is easy to follow. It's different then the usual action heroes that use their powers to fight evil. The actors are all quite young and are not bad. Thinking about what they do with their powers makes me realize that I would probably try the same things. But it's all fiction. So all in all it's an entertaining movie to watch.

Chronicle — What would happen if real teens got super powers?

Author: Avid Climber from Montreal, Canada
5 May 2013

Chronicle is the Blair Witch Project of the super hero flicks.

The good. Surprising. Funny. Immersive.

The actors. Dane DeHaan, Alex Russell, and Michael B. Jordan who play the main characters give us a very good performance. You really get into the mood of those guys goofing around, it's crazy. DeHaan, who played the troubled kid, is even excellent. Nice ending.

The bad. At some point, the hand-held camera premise got a bit constrictive and they had to find an other camera totting character, the blogger. That was one too many, and you loose the intimate feeling of the group.

The ugly. When they couldn't keep the hand-held camera premise anymore, they shifted to include CC camera. There's even a shot done from a point of view where there's no "naturally occurring" camera.

The result. Really worth the seeing, just don't expect perfection.