IMDb > Chronicle (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Chronicle

Chronicle More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 48: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

A very interesting take on the superhero myths

Author: gavin-thelordofthefu-48-460297 from United States
29 June 2012

Well, I didn't have anything else to do at the time this month, but at least I checked this out on a red-box DVD rental and watched it at my aunt's house to see if it could caught my very interest. When the action and special effects seemed to have surprised me, I've felt that my heart was intensely beating that only one word can describe about this flick: "Top-Notch!"

I'll admit that this film does have some overdone found-footage and high school clichés and the minute length could've been much longer (like say, a 2 hour film), but all-in-all, I had a pretty good time watching this. The story is very original as it introduces it's take on the superhero myths and it works perfectly, but it also introduces us with the characters so well along with the scientific terms of telekinesis and an apex predator. The characters are also pretty good too and the way what happens when Alex uses his powers for darker purposes progresses really well and predicts what will happen in the end perfectly.

It also has some great flying sequences helped by the fantastic special effects, but what really stands out the most is the concept which was very intriguing (even the second half of the film, which becomes dark, was not only intense, but extremely satisfying). Of course, let's not forget about the acting and boy are the performances that incredible. Dane DeHaan did great as the troubled Andrew, Alex Russell did incredible as Andrew's mature cousin Matt and Michael B. Jordan adds comic relief to the film and did well as Steve Montgomery. The rest of the actors did a decent job with their performances.

Overall, Chronicle would've had a much longer minute length despite it's nice pacing, but with a sequel in the works, I am definitely recommending this to both science fiction fans and action fans as one of the best films of the year.

Cloverfield without Godzilla and the feel of reality

Author: chaugnurfaugn-269-83012 from United Kingdom
16 June 2012

The benefit of the found footage genre, and one that director Josh Trank exploits here to the absolute limit of the envelope, is that where special effects and CGI look cheesy on a big budget they look impressive and expensive on a small one. Wobbly angles, quick cut-aways as the action explodes and vague, indistinct long shots combine well. The photo-realism of the hand held camera juxtaposed with the kind of jaw-dropping FX once the sole reserve of James Cameron really make Chronicle a movie worth watching.

Unfortunately the story is nothing new, nor complex in its execution. Akira did it better and with more pathos, atmosphere and originality back in the early 90s. It's a new spin on an old idea, but brings the concept to a new audience, which is never a bad thing. It doesn't deliver in terms of depth but the shallow fun to be had before things escalate to apocalyptic levels is certainly and undeniably entertaining.

A sequel would be interesting, if not compulsory.

Better than I expected

Author: JoeB131 from United States
14 June 2012

This film uses the device of "young kids YouTube every aspect of their lives" to tell the story of three teens who gain super powers after encountering a mysterious object in a cave. They develop the ability to fly, move things with their minds and become invulnerable to bullets.

Okay, to start with, they use the very tired convention that was started with "The Blair Witch Project", and continued with films like Cloverfield and Quarantine. Here it works a little better because they show the film comes from a number of sources, not just what the character themselves were filming.

The film centers around the character of Drew, who has the alcoholic father and the dying mother. So you understand when he finally loses it. The character of his cousin and their friend Steve are less developed, and that's the film's weakness, I think.

The Ultimate Movie Review! - http://tss5078.blogspot.com

Author: Tss5078 from United States
9 June 2012

Using just a video camera, High School outcast, Andrew, documents the events surrounding a recent discovery. In the woods, he and his friends discovered something unexplainable, something that gives them supernatural powers. What I loved about this film, is unlike, many many others, these kids didn't take these powers and become superheroes, instead they did what any real life teenager would do and use them for pranks, popularity, and various other things. Also unlike similar "camcorder" films, it wasn't jumpy or choppy and it was quite easy to follow. The first hour of this film was amazing, unfortunately it did go downhill at the end. The whole film was done in a realistic fashion, making science fiction seem possible, until the end, when all hell breaks loose and it honestly just destroyed the whole thing for me. It was such a strong start, but such an awful ending. Most of the cast were newcomers and were very good, the story was also very solid, but this film needs a much better ending if it wants to be considered a classic.

A Great Twist on the Superhero Story

Author: andrew7777 from United States
9 June 2012

Chronicle: 8.9/10 Advertised as just another "lost footage" flick, Chronicle proves to be anything but. With a surprisingly deep story of three teens who are granted telekinesis powers, one starts to lose control with his dying mother, abusive father, and harsh school life beginning to break him down to his last nerve. The director created interesting ways of filming the footage (such as moving the cameras with their powers, using the "bystanders'" footage, and even footage from security cameras in buildings) putting a whole new twist on the growing genre. The story itself is also great, as the boys harness their powers after coming into contact with an alien-like object buried beneath the earth. The biggest aspect of this film is that it feels real, unlike "Paranormal Activity" and "Apollo 18," which can seem just silly at parts. But "Chronicle's" cast of characters show superb acting skills and I found myself feeling for every one of them. Altogether, these elements craft a tremendous movie that seems to take a giant step in the right direction for the genre.

Utter rubbish!

Author: theanalyst-1 from United Kingdom
8 June 2012

Don't bother. It's like Cloverfield and Blair Witch, ghastly hand-held camera work that gives you a headache after 30 seconds and too dark to see anything and the dialogue (!) is mumbled and incoherent. I just don't understand the appeal of this type of movie making. I have worked in the industry for years and the directors I have worked with such Scorcese and Mendes have always strived for clarity and plot. These young directors seem to be determined to make movies that are unwatchable. The plot line here is ludicrous and the acting poor. Save your money and buy a DVD of a movie made by a professional? Good luck. I suggest Warhorse or perhaps The Grey

Dark, Brooding, and Fairly Good

Author: pc95 from San Diego
6 June 2012

"Chronicle", directed by Josh Trunk, runs a brisk 90-some minutes, and it feels pretty quick too. (spoilers)The filmmakers in this movie have succeeded in growing a palpable feeling of foreboding. There is definitely ominous signs thrown in all over the place - probably too much foreshadowing actually. Anyway, pretty much from the get-go you can guess that things are not going to be nice and cheery to end the film. However, I greatly underestimated the magnitude of the explosion of aggression and violence that lit up the climax of this movie - quite jolting. It was pretty well done technically and the young men who starred (Dane Dehann, Alex Russell, and Michael Jordan) all did solid jobs for the movie. I especially liked Russell as the peace-maker, big-brother. Definitely worth a watch, and one of the better movies lately in early 2012.

A Chronicle Of The Power Of Youth

Author: johnstonjames from United States
4 June 2012

more than anything "sci-fi", i really thought this film played basically as a metaphor for youth. it's message was clear and simple, youth is a time of energized power and ability, but also can be a time, if not channeled properly, of energized destruction and negativity.

often times young people, like the teenagers in this movie, don't know or fully understand the power of their own strengths, and without any conscious insight, can wreak much harm and havoc and sometimes, destroy themselves. we see it all the time in young people and most can remember what a volatile and troubled time we had adjusting while we were young. some of our generations never even make it to a ripe old age or even middle age for that matter. others are often capable of amazing things that sometimes revolutionize our world.

i really enjoyed the story, script and timely metaphor here, but i admit i didn't care too much for the film's "video footage" approach. there are times when the "documentary", "video footage" approach can still be milked and used effectively, but not always and not here. this time the whole "video footage" approach seemed clichéd and unnecessary. this film would've worked much better and more effectively without it, had it been given the usual dramatic approach that most Hollywood films still employ in their narrative. i would have appreciated this film even more if it hadn't been a "video footage" narrative.

but it did manage to have some good action moments and some good CGI FX. and the plot was developed in a timely manner.

most of all this was a good film about being young. the protagonist were, after all, only kids. i mean like one of the teenage boys still had a old toy box filled with his old 'Lego' building pieces which the boys played with.

it is also a film about the powers you have when you are young. when you are young you are often more energetic and vitalized more than older persons who become more set in their ways and demand more quiet and peace of mind. but just as youth holds the power for dynamic ability and change, that power can also be channeled into negativity and destructive tendencies if unchecked with everyday realities and responsibilities.

surprisingly good

Author: n-tune1234 from United Kingdom
3 June 2012

at first when i heard about chronicle it sounded good until i heard about the whole film being footage from a camera. as soon as it came on DVD i thought i would buy it just to see what it was like. at the start of the movie i thought it wasn't going to be that good but once they started using there powers i started to really like the film. the ending was brilliant and so was the camera footage that they use throughout the film. i would recommend this movie to anyone who likes super hero movies and to anyone who likes thrillers because it feels like a thriller. plus the effects are amazing especially the flight seqeunces in which they are in the air.

Entertaining film and realistic approach to super powers.

Author: Mattenlamb
31 May 2012

This is an entertaining and engaging movie. Do not let the "shaky cam" or hand-held cam discourage you from watching this movie because it is only like that for the very beginning. It does not detract from this movie at all. Anyways, The characters are young adults who happen to stumble upon super powers. The movie does a good job of keeping pace with the boys as they learn to use their newly acquired abilities. My favorite character was the main character because he is a socially awkward boy with a poor relationship with his family and friends. He grows and changes as the story progresses and that's where things become really interesting. I feel like I can relate to the main protagonist because he begins to feel resentful towards people once he becomes more powerful. While this movie succeeds in many places (football scene in the sky and the car crushing scene) the ending was a bit unfortunate and lacked closure. Nevertheless it was an excellent film and deserves your attention.