IMDb > Chronicle (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Chronicle

Chronicle More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 46: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

Grabbed me by the face

Author: jon-307-184460 from sacramento CA
24 March 2013

Too many badly-made films have left me jaded, big-time. This film, though, felt fresh and compelling from its first moments. As if i was very close to what was happening on the screen, almost uncomfortably close at times. It was a refreshing feeling! While watching, i felt the tension build until it seemed that small rocks were starting to rise and hover in a foreboding manner around my couch, as they did in the movie. My cynical side would call this movie Akira Light, but even so, i would HIGHLY recommend it.

Filler: loved the actors, none of whom i recognized. Don't be put off by hearing about the hand-held camera style, it's not overly frenetic. Made me lol when i realized the camera-saturation toward the end is completely realistic in our society.

Cloverfield meets Akira?

Author: jfcdownsi
19 March 2013

This is, by far, the best POV film since Cloverfield - fact! Although drawing obvious comparisons to Cloverfield with its personal camcorder style film, Chronicle takes any sort of conventional camera view point, whether it be CCTV, helicopter cameras or a blog camera, filled by one of the main characters love interest - a simple plot line designed to improve the narrative of the storyline. However any changes to the storyline and similarities to Cloverfield, Blair Witch, Paranormal Activity etc stop there. What this film is - is more of a teen angst drama, similar to 'I am number four' in many respects, although a better made and written story. What this film does so well is create a realistic downfall of the main character, combined with superhuman powers forced upon him, his cousin, and the popular kid in school. What happens after that, is anyones guess. I can't reveal too much, but if you enjoyed the filming of Cloverfields' action scenes, or Paranormal Activity's realism, you will probably enjoy this too. Not your typical superhero film but with the style of filming aside, plotwise, this has many similarities with the extremely classic Akira - and if you watch this film and enjoy it, I seriously recommend Akira a watch - albeit an anime, Chronicle has clearly been influenced a lot by this classic. If Akira was ever to be made live action and if they ever made it of a similar quality as Chronicle, then it wouldn't be a half bad attempt. Although the acting is often understated, the superhuman powers have absolutely no explanation - all that does is envelop the viewer with the sense of limitless possibilities in terms of the final outcome. Although the plot line is often predictable, the actual varied scenes keep the story moving at a very decent pace, almost perfectly filling its hour and a half length, any less would be too short, and any longer would definitely be long winded. Not a film for a sequel I fear, only because a sequel would be difficult to make as good.

Exciting, well-acted, and strangely believable superhero film

Author: tomgillespie2002 from United Kingdom
9 February 2013

Barely a week goes by these days without another superhero film. They are no longer simply movies for pale-skinned nerds still living with their mothers, but complex, emotional character studies, complete with high-octane action and some of the best special-effects that money can buy. Yet for every The Dark Knight Rises (2012), there's a Jonah Hex (2009), proving that such a luxury in abundance is not necessarily a good thing. You can not simply give a character powers, dress him in a silly suit, and expect box-office millions - something that especially Marvel have realised, who place serious consideration into their output and making some left-field production choices in terms of cast and crew. Clearly aware of this, director Josh Trank and screenwriter Max Landis created a superhero film with a twist, incorporating that other popular sub-genre, the found-footage movie, and with Chronicle, we have something very familiar, yet deceptively fresh.

Teenager Andrew (Dane DeHaan), starts to videotape his life, documenting everything from the domestic abuse he suffers from the hands of his father, his dying mother, and his unhappy school life. His only real friend is his cousin Matt (Alex Russell), who he was close to growing up, but drifted away from as they both got older. After being attacked and thrown out of a party, Andrew is approached by the popular Steve (Michael B. Jordan), who asks Andrew to capture something strange he and Matt have found, which turns out to be a tunnel hiding a glowing crystalline object. As a result, the trio start to develop telekinetic abilities that cause their noses to bleed when they overreach themselves, but working like a muscle, getting stronger with practice. But after Andrew pushes a rude driver into a ditch, almost killing him, they agree to limit the use of their powers, especially when used against other humans, which proves difficult as Andrew's psychological unbalance begins to reveal itself.

Chronicle's plot naturally put a lot of faith into the character of Andrew. Everything is viewed through his 'eyes', with his ever-present camera placing a psychological boundary between him and the real world. He is an often pathetic, unlikeable protagonist, but in the hands of Dane DeHaan, Andrew is simply fascinating to watch - an unconventional, multi-dimensional anti-hero. I predicted big things for DeHaan after his portrayal of gay, angry teenager Jessie in HBO's excellent In Treatment, where he even managed to overshadow Gabriel Byrne, and his terrific performance here will surely allow him to go on to bigger and better things (although so far I have only seen him in small roles in Lawless and Lincoln (both 2012)). Watching Andrew slowly lose his grip on reality and lose himself in the idea that he is an apex predator is like watching the birth of a great comic-book villain.

The found-footage approach works surprisingly well, giving a realism to the various scenes of (often brutal) violence, and some entertaining light-touches as they record themselves playing with their powers in Youtube style. The 'problem' with someone having to hold the camera is rectified when Andrew realises he can use his telekinetic abilities to operate the camera, leading to an inspired scene where the trio play football in the clouds, having discovered they can fly. The slightly underwhelming climax over-reaches itself, abandoning the found-footage technique completely and losing itself amongst all the special effects, becoming an unoriginal study of the damning effects of power. But this is a minor quibble in what is an exciting, well-acted, and strangely believable superhero film.

www.the-wrath-of-blog.blogspot.com

The Real Thrilling Found Footage Film which uses action and superhero styles

Author: justin_caunan from Philippines
3 February 2013

Chronicle is a found footage action superhero-style science fiction film that blows your mind. It is even the most thrilling found footage film than Paranormal Activity or The Blair Witch Project. The script is good. But the best is the fun never stops as thrills begin to rise while the movie runs.

Now, lets talk about the effects. The effects are likely real. You can hear vibrate sounds, wind, crashing and booming, and some shattering. You can see also building getting crashed, cars crashing, crushing and flying, lightning strike, and many more.

Then, lets talk about the story. The story is about a teenager named Andrew videotaping his life. One night after partying (he left), Andrew, his cousin, Matt, and the most popular student, Steve discover a hole, which they find a giant crystal. Arriving there, they mysteriously require superpowers. As the film runs, Andrew becomes violent with his powers.

Finally, I will tell you that this film is one of the best films of all time.

A Genuine Review of Chronicle

Author: Aliens2Alien80 88882222 from United States
28 January 2013

Chronicle is a 2012 action POV film. Chronicle begins by showing us the hard life of Andrew, an outcast senior as he gets ready for school. Personally I am tired of all the POV, but I always love it when something fresh is brought to the screen. This film makes the audience connect and sympathize with Andrew and when he is happy so are you, when he is hurt so are you.I love the 3 main characters and I think they did an above average job.If I had one problem with the film it would be that the progression of Andrew as he goes from bad to worse is a little to fast and he hurts his friends for no reason.The Film is excellent and deserves to be watched time and time again.Watch this flick if you like POV, or if you like deep,complex characters with a rich interesting take on a superhero movie. If you don't like POV films this is not as bad as others but it still might make you sick. 3.5/4

I Was Blown Away!

Author: Tejas Nair from Economic Capital Of India
25 January 2013

Chronicle? I had never heard of it before I watched it. A surprise move- watching extravaganza with friends turned out to be so cool. The movie is absolutely stunning.

Acting is great, dialogues are good, direction is perfect, CGI is flawless and above all - the plot is too heavy and marvelous. Something outta superhero movies, college drama and science fiction - CHRONICLE paves the way for some inventive thinking.

I just can't stay without praising the director (debut venture), the screenplay man and the writer - these people behind the movie are just too awesome and I am glad they are thinking about a sequel. SFX is super-cool. I would recommend it!

WATCH OUT FOR: the craziness involved and deceptively subtle screenplay.

Can be watched with a typical Indian family? YES

Language: Strong | Sex: No | Mouth-Kiss: Mild | Nudity: Strong | Violence: Very Strong | Gore: Critically Strong | Smoking & Alcohol: Very Mild

This is what i want from sci-fi movie producer

Author: sinan50563 from Turkey
19 January 2013

I believe that most of the sci-fi fan doesn't care what main stream producer and director thinking or doing.I believe Fans would find average acting satisfactory enough and Also contrary to general believe high quality visual effect doesn't obligatory for sci-fi movie.Mainstream movie producer made so many movies with high quality CGI and famous directors.Viewier started go to theaters to see how CGI is developing and being able to talk about latest movies.Instead of having good times with your friends or watching great movie.A low budget film remind a lot of Sci-fi viewers that they does care about decent plot and good directing instead of marvelous CGI animations and famous actors.

If this is also want you think about sci-fi this is movie for you.Y

Astonishingly good filmmaking crippled by the choice of the lead actor.

Author: RandomViewer from Australia
8 January 2013

That this movie was (reportedly) made for $12 million is a wake-up call for Hollywood; to achieve what it does on this budget shames the entire industry. It is a remarkably fresh take on the superhero genre made by someone who understands that many people under 40 are getting better stories -and a sense of wonder- from the best video games, rather than movies.

The special effects are astoundingly good, and, for once, are at the service of the story; sparingly where necessary, before building up to a stunning climax in the last third. They were not only more effective and superior than what is usually seen in a $150M production, they were used in a smarter and more convincing fashion.

The tempo of the story is managed perfectly over the 90-odd minutes, and some of the actors involved would seem to have a big future. The black dude has the charisma of a Denzel Washington; he, the cousin and the filmmaker/girlfriend all complete their roles perfectly, without any of the self-aware over-acting prevalent in most studio movies these days.

The only negative for me was a big one; I nearly turned it off after the first ten minutes due to the fact that the lead character was possibly the most whiny, wet and irritating I have ever seen in a film. It wasn't that he stood out more due to the higher standards being set everywhere else, because I was ready to turn it off before knowing how good the rest of the movie would turn out to be.

I get it that a huge part of the movie was the contrast provided when a powerless, submissive protagonist gains extraordinary power, yet even the most determinedly unsympathetic anti-heroes pale in comparison to this guy. As the victim of many circumstances out of his control, even when he turned evil I felt like there should have been at least some stage where I gave a sh*t but this never happened. Much of this has to do with how the character was written, yet I think literally any other actor playing that character would have made for a better film.

I don't know the history of the director, the cinematographer or the writers of the script; if they are all unknowns then what they achieved here is even more impressive. As of late, only Christopher Nolan puts together something this polished, this assured....with 20 times the budget.

Excellent entertainment

Author: Jose Cruz
27 December 2012

Chronicle was perhaps one of the best movies of the rather mediocre 2012. Superhero movies are at an all time high these days, with blockbuster films like Amazing Spider Man, The Dark Knight Rises and The Avengers, but though these films boasted massive budgets and tons of explosions and action scenes they lacked the emotional intensity of less "massive" films like Chronicle. I wouldn't call Chronicle a low budget film, since it had a rather sizable budget of 15 million dollars, for me a really low budget film has a budget around 2-4 million dollars. :)

Highly recommended as the best superhero film of 2012!

The movie that contains a hidden message for bullies and offenders

Author: keyos27 from Canada
10 December 2012

When is the last time you watched a movie without any background music? The Chronicle is a documentary film where the majority of scenes are recorded by a camera. It shows how well each scene is depicted and edited while arousing curiosity about what is going to happen ahead within two hours. Despite filming it with zero musics, the intensity can be felt as if you are the main character filming the entire sequence.

The plot starts off with an innocent teenager, Andrew trying to submit a video for the competition gradually turning into a cynical character after finding out how invincible he can be with the mysterious power he gains from a giant crystal. The conflict between Andrew and two of his friends, Matt and Steve who also get the same superpowers is intriguing as they try to suppress the turmoil that is caused by Andrew's abusive behavior and desire.

The continuity is smooth without repetitions and the complex. Types of superpowers that they possess simply consist of levitating which becomes flying as time goes by, controlling any objects regardless the weight, and strong pulling/pushing/stopping ability that resembles to an ability of Magneto in Marvel comics is indeed fun to watch. Visual Effect deserves some credit for it.

So why I do I think this movie sends a message to the bullies? From my perspective, the motive of Andrew becoming cynical comes from his agony and rage that get fired up by getting consistently bullied and by his classmates and a drunk father.

By unleashing the formidable superpowers that enable him to punish hated ones, the director subliminally tries to tell us that bullying or provoking someone can negatively impact anyone. As this movie also reflects the typical life of high school where Andrew performs in the talent show using the superpowers to brag "New Andrew" to students looks probably a little cheesy and unreal but it is an evident way to express the true colors of human beings. How their attitude towards Andrew changes because of his unique ability that differentiates him from his classmates.

To sum it up, it is a decent and different movie depends on how you see it. I would give a perfect score if they add brief explanations for the origin of the superpowers. How the crystal lands on the earth? Why do they have nose bleeds every time they use the powers? Of course, it is not a big of deal if the questions remain unknown, but I wish they elaborate them a bit more to enhance the depth of the movie.