IMDb > Weekender (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Weekender More at IMDbPro »

Rave on

Author: Red-Barracuda from Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
26 June 2011

Weekender follows a couple of young guys in Manchester in 1990. The pair of them are petty thieves but soon realise that they can make some money if they begin organising their own raves. Everything starts out well but serious problems soon complicate things.

Weekender is a likable snapshot of the early 90's when dance music as we now know it was just emerging from the underground. Many people started going along to raves and got loaded on ecstasy. While the movie follows the usual trajectory of ascent and descent, similar to films such as Human Traffic it doesn't have a 'drugs are bad' message. Instead the villains of the piece are local gangsters who turn up on the scene and start controlling things with force. Weekender does look back on those early 90's times with a certain amount of fondness and there is an effective soundtrack of house music to emphasise the sense of time. The music isn't the usual familiar array of well known dance anthems from the time; it goes for a more specific selection of tunes that ravers would have encountered back in the day.

In fairness there isn't anything overly new in Weekender. Its story doesn't really offer up any surprises at all. However, it's a good little movie about an important time in British music history.

(no pills were popped in the watching of this film)

If you were there, you'll like this!!

Author: dazski from United Kingdom
20 September 2011

Charming little bit of early 90's nostalgia that deserves far more than the 3 out of 10 currently being offered up by IMDb users.

I can only assume that the people giving this film low ratings were not the people who were partying in the early 90's - if they were they'd be rating it far higher just from the nostalgia perspective.

Great soundtrack that pretty much corresponded chronologically (except for Kendo Nagasaki which was a much later track, but hey its a great track so who's complaining!!).

No where near as dark as Trainspotting and less schmaltzy than Human Traffic this is well worth a watch if you are looking for a trip down memory lane or if you fancy an glimpse of how it was.

Long live The Rave

Author: Daniel Murray from Australia
19 September 2011

Weekender takes place in the 90's, following the story of a couple of petty, small time crooks Dylan and Matt who find a new outlet for their fun loving schemes, hosting raves.

As their success grows boundlessly they are swiftly brought back to reality when they begin to attract a more sinister side of rave culture, that of violence and power/dominance. The movie demonstrates these discourse extremely well in my opinion. The acting by both of the protagonists I found to be quite enjoyable, with almost flawless performances. The castings' were great in this film with every actor representing and portraying their characters traits very realistically.

The Weekender may not have the most extraordinary plot in its twists and turns, but is with out a doubt a good if not great movie, with a solid stand up plot-line/narrative and cast. This movie for me was definitely a 6/7 out of 10. I urge you to see this movie because you will not be disappointed. IT'S NOT A BAD FILM!!! (p.s. I don't know how this film could have such a low rating because it is NOT a bad film and not a film that should be 3.7 on IMDb)

Utter garbage!

Author: Steve Molyneux from Madchester
17 January 2014

As other reviewers have already pointed out, this film is a million miles away from the rave scene in 1990. The fashion and music are both completely incorrect for the time. How can somebody making a film get the simple things so wrong? Chris Coghill is a clown. He obviously has no first hand experience of the time and has clearly compiled a film from reading accounts from people who weren't there either. To add insult to injury his other offering is 'Spike Island'. Another film in which he gets things completely wrong. There's enough material on the internet if you want to see and hear what things were really like in the late 80's / early 90's, just don't rely on any of Coghill's work to paint a true picture. Back to the film. Not much I can say really. Badly acted with a poor plot. The list of mistakes is endless. Did the makers not consider watching some videos from the time? Watch how the people danced back then. Look at the fashion and the hairstyles. Sorry, I'm starting to rant again. It's just so frustrating when someone gets something so simple completely wrong and misleads those who didn't experience such a great time in British youth culture. Do yourself a favour and save 90 minutes of your life by avoiding this rubbish.

Last night a film stopped me from being bored

Author: jabbajosh from United Kingdom
25 October 2011

A short satisfying romp. Deceptively satisfying as the ending is not so. I really got to like the characters and would have hoped for a better resolve, alas the pill bashing, money grubbing, bouncer smashing film came to a very bad ending.

Fine good-looking believable cast and a great development of the relationships between characters, especially between Matt and Dylan who I enjoyed watching as a fun boyish pair. There was a lot of good music, pretty girls and heavy drugs which made for an exciting yet hardly novel adventure.

I'm not sure if I recommend this film as it's finalle isn't really a finalle atall. It's like a really well built up tune that once fully ascended drops into nothing but a whistle and rolling credits.

Author: eddiebones5 from United Kingdom
6 July 2013

This film is terrible, anyone that was into the house scene in 1990 will agree. The music is wrong, the fashion is wrong. In fact everything is wrong. There is such a niche to do a film about this era , and some Muppet like Chris Coghill gets the chance and makes a mockery out of it. Someone who lived the scene needs to make a film about this and it could be low budget and be massive(just like it was, no glamour just for the love of the music and scene) Also where was the 20 inch bottom jeans and hooded psychedelic tops we all wore. Eastern block, Afflecks Palace, Spin inn records, konspiracy Club? Not going to mention the hacienda because I think Chris has read a book about the hac and tried to make a film. losers.

Author: Not Impressed from United Kingdom
27 April 2012

Why Chris Coghill even attempted this as a film is beyond me. To say it's a 'poor man's Human Traffic' or 'an account of the rave scene as seen by your Great-Aunt' are complete understatements. It's features range from bad acting to badly chosen music (it's meant to be 1990, and half the tunes are from '92 onwards) I'm surprised i lasted watching it as long as i did. I put this down to being ill and couldn't be bothered to move. It's also a who's-who of annoying telly actors... I'm surprised Coghill didn't cast himself. IMDb say i must write ten lines about this film, but I'm really struggling without swearing. It's bad... Don't watch it... Human Traffic made me miss the 90s, if this film was true-to-life it would make me feel like I had missed the 90s.

Weekender - A Cult Classic

Author: Valithanithizum from United States
6 October 2011

First off, let me say that I'm absolutely shocked that this is rated only 4.8/10. This movie is bloody fantastic.

I can guarantee that this will become a cult film in the future the same way Requiem for a Dream is today.

While not without flaws, this movie has so much to offer someone looking for a good time. It starts out with the 2 main characters Dillon and Matt getting into the UK underground rave scene. They meet up with Captain Awesome and begin hosting their own raves. That's when the fun begins.

There are so many twists and turns, and epic moments in the film that I won't spoil anything. Give this movie a chance and you may find that you really enjoyed it, a guilty pleasure with a great ending.

Very disappointing! :-(

Author: perditor from Australia
28 April 2015

I was there and this is not what it was like at all, this movie fails to capture the rush of it.

Poor acting, bad plot & poor choice of music. The reviewer who said it will become a cult classic is having a laugh, maybe he wrote this rubbish.

Not very original and poorly executed. Not worth wasting your time, just watch Human Traffic. I struggled to stay with it until the end.

Character relationships and development were not believable, a sorry effort all round.

I went in with high hopes but it was very disappointing.

Interesting yet non-fulfilling

Author: Karl R (TheSupremeTruth) from Bristol, England
12 October 2013

I watched this film as it was recommended by my brother of 28, it seemed fitting for someone who has experienced the rave days, but as for someone who has not it left me wanting more than it gave. The acting was good for the lead but the for the most part the rest of the crew lacked enough charisma.

Whiles watching the film I felt a bit like I was watching many different types of films in one because it didn't stick to the backbone very well as one minute I felt like I was watching British Teen Film the next I thought it was a gangster film... It didn't stick to a secure theme.

A lot of different scenes popped up with near or no relevance to the story even though it got the viewer interested. The most enjoyable part of the film was Jack O'Connell because I honestly believe he is a good actor and he plays his part very well.

Would I recommend this film? If it's 12 am and you've got nothing else to watch and you see it on the television and you're a fan of skins, I'd say go for it. If you want a good film on the Friday night to watch I would say watch another film.

Overall it was enjoyable and no where near one of the worst films I've seen. It had the potential to be a classic.