IMDb > "Wilfred" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Wilfred"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Wilfred" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Wilfred Pilot Review

Author: lady924642003
11 June 2011

After given the chance to review the pilot of Wilfred, I know exactly why the people at FX Networks chose to add it to its lineup. It's absolutely hilarious! From someone who is paid to do this, James Hibberd from Entertainment Weekly has called Wilfred the funniest pilot he's seen since Modern Family and I have to agree.

FX being an innovative network has chosen for American audiences a brash Australian sitcom that stars the original actor, Jason Gann in the title role. Joining him is Elijah Wood as Ryan, a man so bent out of shape he feels there's no way out so he tries to commit suicide and he can't even do that right. Fiona Gubelmann plays Jenna, the new girl next door and Wilfred's owner. Dorian Brown who portrays Ryan's uptight sister, Kristen, completes the leading cast.

Wilfred is set in a quaint community in Los Angeles California. The audience follows along through Ryan's disillusioned eyes as he tries to get a grip on reality. Trotting into a pivotal point in his life is a dog. Everyone else sees a cute, lovable pooch but Ryan sees a man in a dog costume.

Both man and beast are leery but Wilfred settles in and Ryan has to get over his shock to accept the fact he has. Ryan walks, feeds and runs after Wilfred like any rambunctious pet. When others come into the scene, the audience and Ryan are jolted to the fact that Wilfred is not a man but a dog. It's in these instances that takes Ryan on a new level of hysteria and makes for humorous circumstances.

On my first viewing of the pilot, my own dog was laying beside me and I laughed so loudly and so often, I scared the poor girl. It made me wonder what she may have said to me in those moments.

Wilfred may not fit everyones tastes but for someone who isn't bothered in the least by profanity and yes, sometimes vulgar humor will enjoy Wilfred immensely. I believe this is because the crudeness is smoothed over by wit.

The acting is sharp and cunning and in Wilfred's case, his bite is worse than his bark. Other than talking, drinking and getting high, Wilfred behaves like any dog. Not to be cliché but Gann wears the dog suit perfectly. He's lovable and sweet though more times impetuous and you feel he needs the sting of a rolled up newspaper but he turns around and gives lessons and shares his wisdom that Ryan can take to heart.

For those who have some reservations about Wood's comedic talents, you can put them to rest. It's not that he's setting out to be humorous, but is simply reacting to odd and perplexing situations and those lead to some hysterical moments. I'd put this in the category of "funny man, straight man" comedy and it's Elijah's strong ability to give emotions to his characters without saying much at all that makes him perfect for this bewildered individual.

Gubelmann brings an air of lightheartedness to the show's gritty premise and sassy Brown's pretentious older sister will undoubtedly bring further mayhem with her intimidation. The timing during collective dialogs between the characters is amusing and a testament to the smart, creative and imaginative writing.

The cinematography is ingenious that when Ryan drifts inside of himself, things around him diminish but only enough where he's still within the realm of his surroundings. The whimsical music and sound editing co-exists perfectly with the camera work which emphasizes the psychosis running amok in Ryan's mind. Wilfred not only tickled my funny bone but my senses as well.

In the end, the question remains who's the man and who's the best friend? Perhaps at some point that will be known but until then, Wilfred should be entertaining and an adventure to find out

Strangely unique

Author: reneweddan from United States
2 July 2011

As a fan of Elijah Wood (Green Street Hooligans!), I was patiently awaiting the release of this series. The show found the perfect network, FX, which also brought the weird and raunchy comedy It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

Wilfred is a show to enjoy whilst relaxing, having a beer, or other recreational activities. Although the plot is simple, the acting and the execution are highly enjoyable. What this show lacks in cinematic diversity, it more than makes up for it in talent, humor, depth, and creativity.

Don't watch this show if you aren't open to new ideas and strange events. Wilfred is a dark humored show that appeals to those who can enjoy great quality when offered to them. Basically, you need to have an open mind and a passion for dark humor.

Funniest show in years!!!

Author: raphaeljd from United States
24 June 2011

My girlfriend and I sat down last night to check out Wilfred with minimal expectations and were blown away. We must have rewound the show 10 times because we missed so much of it laughing our faces off.

If you are unsure if this show is for you ask yourself these questions first. If you answer yes to 1 or more of these your in for a treat. Do you own a dog? Do you sometimes feel like you know what your dog is thinking or would like to? Do you think Brian's character on Family Guy is hilarious and wouldn't mind him being portrayed as a man in a dog suit? Do you enjoy dry or dark humor about "the man" and your need to be free from responsibility?

The person playing Wilfred does an amazing job of capturing the thought process and emotions of an everyday dog without making it cheesy.

There's not much more to say except my DVR is set and I'll be tuning in every week to see what mischief this crazy dog will conjure up for Ryan.

Haven't laughed like this in years

Author: fy_nesh from Germany
13 August 2011

This show is simply brilliant, it tickles my funny bone in a way that no other show has done in years, very will written, brilliant performance by the cast, and very addictive, i love it, i don't usually write reviews but this one is worth it, if i could give it more than ten stars i definitely would.

Mind-blowing!

Author: hiphoptourist from United States
2 July 2011

This show explores a whole new realm of comedy television. Erie, intelligent, dry, profound, thought-provoking, outrageous, subtle - all intertwined into one overall theme: PERCEPTION IS KEY; open your mind, face your fear, and take risks.

There are multiple levels of perception that come into play. The dynamics between Wilfred and Ryan are simplistic in the eyes of all but Ryan (just a man and a dog), yet complex and unfamiliar (Ryan's very personal and strange experience with hearing/seeing Wilfred's complex thoughts, moods, erratic actions, etc). Such dynamics are carefully orchestrated to depict how one's perception and outlook can truly change or save you. I have not yet seen the (original) Australian version of this show, but I must say - truly ingenious and inventive.

I don't get why there's so many haters

Author: Mike Symons from Canada
13 August 2011

I've been watching this show for a couple days now and I'm loving it. It's rated just under 5 stars here and I had to click to see why. Now I see it's just a bunch of old married couples who are expecting some Emmy award winning hilarity just cause the shows got Elijah wood. Get over it. It's a hilarious show with a completely unique storyline and at least one big name cameo a show! Yes it's just an adaptation developed for American television, but I think they do a great job of it! There are an endless amount of jokes to be had with an adult talking dog, as far as I know, we've yet to see a dog that smokes buds and drinks beers. It's a funny change-up from the more Disney look at animal's talking. Quit power trippin and rank it what it deserves.

The dark lingers within our midst.

Author: kcm183 from United States
4 July 2011

Just when you thought this show is dumb-driven and gross-out funny, you are in for a treat. Because it is completely the opposite of what you might expect from a comedy series. It's ballsy, cynical, and devious bravado fuels the dark progression of the show.

Wilfred is a quintessential man-dog that boasts with evil and deceit in the most subtle way. I would say if human males can be just as free and honest as they can possibly be, their behavior would not be too far from Wilfred's. But in a law-bounded society, logic overpowers human instincts. His character largely reflects the human male simply because he is a dog. Considering that dogs are animals, Wilfred epitomizes the carnal nature of people. That is the basic reason why the show is brilliantly funny. Taking out all the concealment and embellishments of a person is absolutely impossible. However, I see that in Wilfred. The series is a typical case of "what's wrong and right?" in society. "Is Wilfred the protagonist or the antagonist?" Consequently, one might perceive Wilfred's character in a negative aspect.

The show gets more and more entertaining as I watch Wilfred leading Ryan's troubled life into a different direction and greatly influence his decisions. Ryan's personal reality becomes more vivid that it overcomes his entire life, better yet his whole existence.

Darkly Funny

Author: danasfolly from Los Angeles, California
4 August 2011

This is one of the best shows to come out for many years. Wilfred is an existentialist dog who is teaching his human foil, Ryan, to get on with living in the real world. This show is raunchy, honest and can really only be categorized as a "Dark Comedy". Somewhere along the way, while we're laughing, we see Ryan, who is coming back from a suicide attempt, learning to live with what is wrong and what is right about himself. The show is well written and doesn't waste time on irrelevant plot points. The actors are believable and bring a definite spark to their roles. The facial expression Ryan (Elijah Wood) gets when Wilfred does something diabolical are laugh-out-loud funny. My husband and I initially watched this show thinking it might be good. After near hysterical laughter through the entire first episode we were hooked. Wilfred is part evil genius and part guardian angel. We can't wait to see what other disasters he gets Ryan into and out of. Good job FX!!!

Not a bad remake.

Author: psmanny from Australia
8 July 2011

From what I've seen so far, this is rather a good remake. I was well pleased to see the original Wilfred Character played once again by Jason Gann. There is more censorship in the American Version of Wilfred, but that was to be expected. The original version of the show was made in 2007 by SBS Television Australia. Also it being a SBS Show there is usually bugger all censorship on the station, why it's so good. The actress chosen to play Jenna (originaly Sarah) is also a good pick, and does a good job of acting as though Wilfred in his human portrayal is still a dog. I really hope they keep up the high standards seen so far in the 3 I've seen, though really wish that the censorship wasn't so heavy.

I find it brilliant, but it isn't for everyone

Author: Cora Jones from -
21 August 2011

Let me just say that this show gives me hope for humanity. With a creative and entertaining premise, "Wilfred" promises many great episodes to come. That being said, I can see why it may not agree with everyone, most notably the faint of heart. It is vulgar and offensive at times, I won't deny it. However, for anyone not offended by it's over-the-top, raunchy humor, it's pretty sure to please. Despite what less favorable reviewers seem to think, it does have it's moments of unexpected punch-lines and biting wit. While it's still early on in it's run, when it finds its footing I have little doubt it will become a cult classic.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]