IMDb > Grave Encounters (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Grave Encounters

Grave Encounters More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 24: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Better than expected.

Author: Max Gardner from Middletown, DE
2 February 2012

"Grave Encounters" was a pleasant surprise. The premise is hardly innovative, nor is the found-footage format, and the trailers made it seem bland at best, but I found it, contrary to all expectations, holding my attention from start to finish. The setup is simple. A ghost-hunting reality show (clearly Ghost Adventures with the serial numbers filed off -- from its opening narration to its lead investigator, Lance Preston, who's really pretty good at channeling Zak Bagans) conducts an investigation of a supposedly haunted insane asylum. The crew find themselves trapped inside, besieged by ghosts, hallucinations, shifting corridors and distorted time. It's not a great film, but it works. Starts off slow, a nice sense of buildup, and then, in a refreshing change of pace from most found-footage movies, things actually happen. The second half of the film picks up nicely, the manner in which the ghosts are depicted is legitimately scary, and the sense of helplessness as the characters descend into insanity and the asylum becomes increasingly distorted and Silent Hill-ish is solidly executed, even if none of these people are particularly likable. A good horror film for a lazy afternoon -- not amazing, but nor is it a waste of time.

Scared the hell out of me!

Author: alistair18 from South Africa
22 October 2011

By no means does this movie bring anything new to the 'found footage' style movies. The characters are pretty forgettable and I didn't feel like I really cared if they lived or died. The story is severely lacking and the cast were pretty bad.

But somehow they managed to put all of that together and scare the crap out of me! Honestly haven't been quite so tense after a movie in a while and I am a rather seasoned horror movie fan. Lots of tension built with some jump in your seat moments. But overall I definitely think it is worth checking out if you are looking for a good scare. Probably on same sort of level as paranormal activity but with a lot more activity and tension! 7 out of 10

An old concept revisited

Author: EbichuTheHamster from Canada
25 June 2012

Found footage films are nothing new and with this movie's low budget and the onslaught of similar films at the time it is easy to see why this probably went un-noticed. Though it is a good film which utilizes what it has to create an effective atmosphere. Despite this though, do not expect to be scared. The visual effects are used sparsely and do not offer anything new while the movie itself takes quite a bit of time to build up.

If you are a patient individual, this movie is quite interesting and worth your time. But if you have seen movies like this many times before hand then there is not much new here to see.

Ridiculous Encounters

Author: loganmarada from United States
6 May 2012

This movie started off great, I loved the idea of a television show filming all these paranormal happenings. I thought all of the characters were believable and fit well in the movie. The beginning dragged on a bit when they explained what was going on, but I liked how things began to subtly happen, at least for a little bit. The film progresses on and becomes a psychological thriller as they cannot find their way out and began to hit more traps in the asylum (very reminisce of Blair Witch and the forest). This feels like it drags on for ages as more and more makes it impossible for them to get out and you're just thinking "OKAY, I GET IT. THEY ARE TRAPPED, PLEASE MOVE ON." At last they encounter more frightening things, but they are absolutely absurd. First it's a creepy girl who's mouth drops into some black smudge that looks like it was made on Paint, and then it's a room full of wiggling arms that are trying to attack them, and then finally it is down to the main guy. He apparently is driven to insanity, kills a rat, eats it, then finds a door that leads him to demon doctors who capture him, the end. This movie could have been great if it weren't for all the outrageous happenings. Great concept, poor follow through. Average horror flick.

A crappy horror pseudo-documentary

Author: Argemaluco from Argentina
10 May 2012

Believing that not enough horror films built with "actual footage" have been made, The Vicious Brothers decided to join the movement directing the movie Grave Encounters, whose repetitive scenes and hugely boring development are the main elements which make it crappy, and one of the worst pseudo-documentaries I have seen.

The screenplay lacks of any interesting elements, and it foists us with endless scenes of screams, frantic camera and confusing images of long corridors where nothing happens. And are we supposed to get "scared" by that? Worsening the situation, the performances are horrible, and the supernatural elements are increasingly arbitrary and absurd. The Vicious Brothers tried to provoke suspense with the "home video" trick, and needless to say that they couldn't achieve it, while the characters are so irritating that I was glad when they started to get killed.

In conclusion, Grave Encounters is a pathetic "horror" film with bad performances, confusing direction and a very poorly written screenplay. In summary, don't waste your time nor your money with this piece of junk.

I created an account just to review this. AWFUL!

Author: blakeblueblood from United States
18 March 2012

What an awful movie. I'm not sure if someone actually approved of the script before they made this, or if they just made it without having been proofread. I was compelled to watch it after seeing the other reviews here giving it such high criticism. I was seeing creepy images on Tumblr from this film, and they made it sound and look really scary. But if you are looking to be scared and entertained, I would skip this movie. It was awful. I found myself completely bored, and the acting was extremely awkward. If this movie scared you, then you need serious help. I have yet to be truly scared by any film in the past two years. Don't even bother paying to see this, because anyone involved in the production of this movie deserves no reconciliation.

A refreshing change to the Paranormal Reality show phenomenon

Author: M De Storm (marcusdestorm@gmail.com) from United Kingdom
25 February 2012

There is plenty of exaggeration about this movie on the internetwork at the moment, some claiming that the film makers have taken a hold of the "Blair Witch Project" and "Paranormal Activity" bandwagon steering wheel and driven its popularity from the afore mentioned films. There are also those who are suggesting that "Grave Encounters" is the result of the low viewer counts from TV Shows such as "Most Haunted" and "T.A.P.S" in a desperate bid to bring more viewers to the TV Series offerings. Therefore we dispel these rumours as "Totally Untrue".

During the Private Screening of this film we were more than astonished at the 'Realism' in which the film showed, as well as the SFX that flowed throughout every scene. The setting of the DocuMovie in the old mental hospital at Collingwood Psychiatric Hospital, Ryerson Valley, MA, does not throw any new punches to the viewer – if you are familiar with the "Ghost Hunting" television series' that are found on many of the TV networks across the globe, that is – where bumps in the night and strange vapours that appear before your eyes out of nowhere are the least of supernatural occurrences.

Grave Encounters, certified fifteen (15) and for good reasons, too, takes the viewer into a world that would otherwise be left well alone. But this is no ordinary film concept like that of 'The Blair Witch Project' or 'Paranormal Activity' that offer nothing more than cheap punches of low quality horror – if that is what you would call it – which starves the viewer of an otherwise entertaining feature.

Admittedly, from the start of 'Grave Encounters', the thought occurred that this was a TV to DVD film Pilot that must have been franchised by 'Most Haunted' or 'T.A.P.S', but then, after ten minutes all of that which was first thought was suddenly dragged away when the film crew of 'Ghost Hunters' were locked inside the closed Psychiatric Hospital. Now it was well and truly starting to become perturbing and worrying; the strange noises, character reactions to moving objects, strange feelings and sudden vanishing members from their designated areas, as well as remote camera feeds showing signs and warnings.

All in all, this film is well worth renting out, buying on DVD or, better still, by getting a hold of its Blu-Ray "Director's Cut" version that has several more minutes of horror, intense or otherwise having the viewer glued to their chairs – or reaching for the back of the sofa for safety – and be treated to one hell of a scary night in. The one true good result of this film, is that there is no sequel, unlike others that tend to milk the float by trying to convince us all that there will be a return of the dead or that there was a scene which couldn't be explained enough in the first feature and so they have to torture us all by explaining it in a one and a half hour sequel "Why the curtains twitched when the doomed character ran through the corridor to escape imminent death." Rating: 7/10 (8/10 if there would have been better atmospheric music between the dull silence)

I rather enjoyed this... surprisingly well done for the genre.

Author: Joseph Sherman Jr. from USA
3 September 2011

Yes, the "found footage" horror film has been done before, but not this well. Being a fan of "Ghost Adventures" on the Travel Channel, when I first saw the trailer I knew I had to see this movie- if only for the eye-rolling laugh factor, as I expected it to be along the lines of Paranormal Activity meets Blair Witch meets ghost-hunting TV show of your choice- or something like that.

Boy, was I wrong (and right at the same time). I loved this film... possibly even more because I do enjoy the TV show that it paid heavy homage to.

The acting was tight, believable and downright spooky- especially towards the end as the characters started breaking down mentally. The effects were done well for the style of filming, some obvious CG here and there, but not so over the top as to kill the suspension of disbelief. I haven't had a movie scare me like that since I was a kid.

While pulling liberally from other films in the modern horror genre (shaky-cam, quick cuts to/from howling "entities", the "never ending path", etc.), I feel that the combination of elements was as good as it gets.

I don't get the negative reviews, but then again I don't enjoy Final- Destinationy sequel-fodder and the like, either.

Found footage paranormal horror

Author: Angie cook from Liverpool, england
29 May 2016

I didn't hold up much for this film as it was on the horror channel and the film's on there are usually low budget or straight to DVD but grave encounters surprised me.it's a found footage type film which takes place in an old abandoned asylum. I don't know if it's because I was watching it alone late at night in the dark but I did find it a little scary. The cast are not all that annoying either which is a plus point.Anyway after I watched it I did order it on DVD for my collection. It's not the scariest or greatest film you'll ever watch but definitely worth watching if you are a fan of found footage. The film starts by telling us the backstory of the building then without revealing much,lance (the main character) and his team are locked in the building overnight and things take a turn for the spooky worst.

nothing new? so what?

Author: mehmetski from Germany
20 May 2015

this movie might not be very innovative or anything but it served its purpose. movies like this don't try to be artsy or avantgarde. they just want to entertain you. they're here to give you a scary time. sure, some scares were a little predictable, like the wheelchair in the background moving an inch. but i mean, it has to start SOMEwhere. it isn't only the jumpscares though that kept me thrilled, but the whole ambiance and the totally claustrophobic feeling. those people are caught in a death trap and you know it and you know they are going to die from the very first second on but thats not the point. you enjoy the illusion of actually being with them, all the imagination. i still hear the doors slamming as if it had happened right in my house. so my conclusion is that this movie is a little predictable in the end, but while you watch it you still grasp for that little straw of hope and you suffer with them and thats just perfectly why those movies are made.