IMDb > Casa de mi Padre (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Casa de mi Padre

Casa de mi Padre More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

Amusing yet never reaches hilarious heights.

Author: marcus259387608 from Manchester, United Kingdom
28 June 2012

Casa de mi Padre is a film that looks fairly promising but never one that can compete with Will Ferrell's best. The premise is that the Alvarez brothers find themselves embroiled in a war against Mexico's premier drug lord. Acknowledging the fact that it is a comedy running at around 85 minutes it is never going to be definitive for comedy but on the surface could have provided some great laughs. In essence it doesn't, there are times where it does get funny. The majority of the film is just trying to fish for the humour. It seems as if the film sometimes try to have semi-subtle humour but at other times goes for all out gags. The similarity here is that it only brings mild chuckles at the very most. There are aspects similar to for example Anchorman in some of the more violent jokes but never quite feel as funny. Ferrell himself is funny and you always knew he was going to be the star. The film simply struggles to demonstrate hilarity in any way its trying. The film does get better as it progresses, and this is where is more action and the gags are put on the more bizarre level. The film is not bad by any means but it is just something that doesn't blow you away with hilarity. Looking at its themes it is a send up and if you look at it as a send up then it is quite good. There are moments that are a terrific parody but never really get funny enough to become memorable.

Loco in la cabeza con muy hilariso Senor Ferrell!

Author: george.schmidt (gpschmidt67@gmail.com) from fairview, nj
24 March 2012

CASA DE MI PADRE (2012) **1/2 Will Ferrell, Gael Garcia Bunel, Diego Luna, Genesis Rodriguez, Pedro Armendáriz Jr., Efren Ramirez, Adrian Martinez, Manuel Urrego, Nick Offerman, Molly Shannon. Frequently amusing valentine to grindhouse Mexican B-pictures and telenovias from gringo Ferrell (in heavy bronzer and espouting espanol like a pro) cast as the black sheep of the family whose loving brother (Luna in touch with his Johnny Depp a la BLOW) returns with his betrothed (the comely Rodriguez, a game sport amongst the imbecility) while embroiled in a drug war with the local kingpin, Onza (Garcia Bunel in touch with his inner Al Pacino a la SCARFACE) out to destroy la familia. With touches of Robert Rodriguez and Quentin Tarantino's pulpy South of The Border malice and bad filmmaking altogether (witness the ersatz wildlife and jumpcutting) the film is a one-note joke that runs due course thanks to the miss-and-hit screenplay by Ferrell's ex-SNL cohorts Andrew Steele and director Matt Piedmont.

Another stupid Will Ferrell film with virtually no redeeming features

Author: patxiroca
25 September 2015

Awful. Like all Will Ferrell movies. Really awful. I had hopes, given that Gael García Bernal is a very talented actor. Indeed the only reason I watched this was because of Bernal. I honestly hope this doesn't have a lasting negative impact on his career. It does, however, make me question his judgement. He's far too talented to have participate in another juvenile slapstick Will Ferrell waste of time. In this film, Ferrell manages to reduce the entire cast and crew to his level--that of a pile of stinking dog crap.

Now let me be honest, the first half of this film was so very very bad that I simply couldn't stomach any more of it and turned it off. Thus it is possible that in the last half, Ferrell suddenly became an actual actor with a touch of talent, and the film magically turns around. But given Ferrell's track record or participating in films that aren't worth the plastic in the DVD, I have serious doubts.

Teeters from Really Good to Very Bad

Author: Anthony Iessi
29 December 2013

I will be fair and say that Casa de mi Padre was an inspired idea. Will Ferrel truly took on a daring responsibility to widely release a Spanish speaking movie under his company banner as well as speaking Spanish throughout the film. The result is a mixed bag. I really admired its homage of the Sergio Leone spaghetti western meets Telenovela meets Grindhouse flick. It took advantage of this by using some really clever sight gags. Some of the action scenes were pretty kick-ass. Also, since this is a Spanish speaking movie, the subtitles leave room for some hilarious reading! But the film's efforts can at times feel tiresome. The first half of the movie is almost joke less. Almost as if the film was trying to rely on the fact that Will Ferrel speaking Spanish will be funny enough to carry a movie. Which it doesn't. The scenes without jokes fall totally flat and provides nothing to the audiences interest. To this effect, I turned off the movie half way through watching it the first time, convinced that I had watched a truly awful comedy. But I gave it a second chance, and to my surprise, I liked it. But lets face the facts, this is a forgettable Will Ferrel flick that will go among the ranks of "Semi-Pro" and "Kicking and Screaming" as one of his worst films. Rent it if you want to.

Kinda Strange

Author: isabelle1955 from Brit living in California
14 September 2013

To be honest I only watched this movie because I like Diego Luna and Gael Garcia Bernal, but I hoped it might be modestly amusing. In truth, it's funny for the first few scenes but it's a joke that wears thin very quickly. It had potential, and the stars are all engaging actors, but really, it's not very good and it's not very funny. I've seen worse, but as a spoof of a Spaghetti Western meets Tarantino, which I assume it's trying to be, it's simply too weak. Not quite sure what Luna and Bernal are doing here..? Paying the rent I guess. I think the coyote meets stuffed puma part with overlaid text was one of the weakest movie jokes I've seen in a while. Have the courage of your convictions guys! If you think a stuffed animal mock fight is funny, go for it. Don't pad it with a 6th grade voice over and explanation..! Truly disappointing.

A Telenovella Writ Slapstick and Satire

Author: LawyerTom1 from United States
16 March 2013

Once again, the schmoo wins the fair, but flawed, maiden.

To appreciate and enjoy the humor of Casa de mi Padre, there are two requirements: a) a knowledge and understanding of telenovellas, particularly those from Mexico, and b) an ability to speak Spanish in order to understand the jokes. The latter is particularly important because some of the best, subtle humor is the contrast between the socially acceptable translation of certain Spanish idiomatic expressions spoken by various characters and the meaning of the Spanish words themselves. (Another movie with a variation on such humor is Wasabe, a 2001 movie with Jean Reno, best watched in French because the English subtitles are a more literal (and I would say guttural) translation than the milk-toast English voice-over version of the movie.)

I particularly enjoyed the discussion/description by the Alvarez brothers of drug-addled and junk-food crazed Americans; definitely over the top. If you know novellas and can speak at least some Spanish, this is a movie you will enjoy because you will appreciate the gestalt of the setting, imagery, and storyline which is key to the movie's satire.

A good idea, but it needs a bit of work.

Author: Christian_Dimartino from United States
25 July 2012

Will Ferrell is a mega talent, and has been for years. I will be there for him, whatever movie he does. When I heard about his film Casa De Mi Padre, in which he speaks fluent Spanish, I knew I had to be there, because that's something I knew I had to see. and even if the movie isn't as good as it sounds, it's aspirations are admirable.

Ferrell plays a Spaniard who falls for his brothers(Diego Luna) new fiancé, and gets caught in the middle of his brothers drug business, and must soon fight against a head drug dealer(Gael Garcia Bernal) in order to protect his family and those around him. Sounds like a Spanish soap opera, which i'm sure that's what it was going for.

The idea of Ferrell speaking Spanish and actually learning it for a role sounds funny, and the idea is. But the movie doesn't go as far as it could. I did laugh out loud a few times, but not as many as I was hoping. I give Ferrell credit for his hopes, but unfortunately he doesn't reach them high enough.

The movie is okay, and that is fine. It is a great Ferrell performance, one of his best. Some of it works, but it's a little uneven. Like what most critics have said, it would have worked better as a skit on SNL that an 80 minute movie. This is okay for now, but I am waiting almost too badly for Anchorman 2, and here, you don't get Anchorman.

B-

Ron Burgundy In Mexico

Author: Cutter Sanchez from United States
26 March 2012

Casa de mi Padre makes no bones about that fact that it is not for everybody. The telenovela spoof – Spanish, subtitled in English - with unapologetically cheap production values revels in the retro and weird, proudly humming along to its daffy spaghetti western tune as if every wild moment is entirely plausible. Casa stars Will Ferrell as Armando Alvarez, a dimwitted Mexican ranchero that "loves the land more than he loves the woman." Armando is catapulted into a love triangle and drug-war when his morally corrupt brother Raul (Diego Luna) and Raul's fiancé Sonia (Genesis Rodriguez) return home to marry and take over the territory of the reigning crime lord Onza (Gael Garcia Bernal).

In a scene preceding the bloody climax, Armando, shot and left for dead, is rescued from a man-eating coyote by a talking animatronic wildcat that serves as motivator, shaman and, presumably, medical doctor. Oh my! The charm of Casa is in how it approaches its melodramatic story and outrageous characters with equal parts goof and earnest, keeping all over-the-top comedic outbursts grounded in the world it has created.

With few laugh out loud moments, the film is best appreciated for its free-spirited confidence and gleefully offbeat dialogue. The decision to interrupt an imminent battle between the anamatronic wildcat and man-eating coyote over the lifeless body of Armando Alvarez represents a missed opportunity. Note to director Matt Piedmont, we want to see a wildcat fight a coyote over Will Ferrell while he plays dead. Make it a miniature puppet battle over a mannequin if you need to, just as long as we get to see it. Actually, that would be awesome!

Mi nombre es Armando Alvarez

Author: www.ramascreen.com from United States
14 March 2012

What CASA DE MI PADRE couldn't fully deliver in comedy, it makes up for it in the concept, the style, and Will Ferrell's unbelievable dedication to his Spanish speaking role. Ferrell hasn't been funny in a long time in my opinion, since Anchorman, but seeing him in this different light gives some kind of new-found respect because even though his Spanish is very basic and very limited, it's more than obvious that the man gives his all. Comedy-wise, CASA DE MI PADRE works well as a satire or a parody, it's not necessarily laugh out loud but it's certainly unique I think screenwriter Andrew Steele's mistake is that he treats this movie like he did his old SNL sketches, CASA DE MI PADRE does feel like a very long SNL sketch and the humor often happens only at the end of every scene either by way of endless chuckling or a character that would smoke more than one cigar at once for no reason whatsoever, that kind of joke only goes so far, it doesn't do much to tickle your funny bone. The best comedy, to me, is when the character is desperate, when he's cornered and his reactions aren't met accordingly. CASA DE MI PADRE on the other hand, tries hard to spoof the drama of Mexican soap opera to the point where the dialogue even comes off serious. But it's a good thing that director Matt Piedmont plays it silly, thanks to the use of miniatures and puppets, fake animals, and life-size dolls. Hilarious? not exactly. Silly, you betcha! I give mad credit to Will Ferrell for taking on this gig, as I said earlier, his Spanish is basic and limited and I'm sure it must be challenging for him to stick to the script considering he's known for his habit of going improv. His character, Armando Alvarez, is goody two-shoes, hopeless romantic, passionate, considered coward by everybody else but he's actually got some cojones, he's the kind of man who fights for his woman. Y Tu Mama Tambien guys, Gael Garcia Bernal and Diego Luna are strong supporting actors in this film, those two fellas aren't strangers to each others' rhythm, it's one of those cases where you just roll the cameras and let them do their magic. New hottie in town, Genesis Rodriguez who plays the female lead, is beautiful and captivating. I think the movie tries its best to balance the tone between the comedy and the whole drug-trafficking commentary, but sometimes it's done at the expense of the comedy. The entire opening credit sequence, with a song by Christina Aguilera, looks like a James Bond opening theme for a Mexican Godfather movie if there ever was one. CASA DE MI PADRE pokes fun at old Mexican movies, Spaghetti western and cheesy Telenovelas. And all I can say is.. finally, Will Ferrell is worth watching again.

Funny or Die does Mexican soap (kind of redundant)

Author: SnoopyStyle
1 September 2013

Will Ferrell is trying to do mocksoap like 'Spinal Tap' does with rock documentaries. Although the question is does soap operas truly need mocking?

Are they not truly mock proof? My opinion is there really isn't any Will could do here that somebody would find shocking in a soap. The acting is too mannered. It's certainly not funny enough. It they could do much more slapstick. Then it could be something.

The story itself is meaningless and unimportant. I couldn't tell you what it was anyways. I couldn't pay enough attention to remember what was going on. Maybe that's why this failed.

Page 5 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]