IMDb > Casa de mi Padre (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Casa de mi Padre

Casa de mi Padre More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

classic, intelligent humor

Author: johnnyrj from out there
17 July 2012

This movie is getting ripped on left and right, thankfully I decided to give it a shot anyway and was pleasantly surprised. The humor is pretty old-school which you rarely see these days. They don't spoon-feed the audience a lot of obvious HAW and BAHAHAHA moments which is what makes this movie clever. I got the direction and what they were trying to accomplish throughout. Loved the way it was shot, especially the cut scenes where the director really had some fun. For those of you who enjoy comedy on many different levels, this one is a must. Oh, and could Genesis Rodriguez be any hotter? Stunning woman. Very much enjoyed this flick and I hope people give it a chance. Don't believe all the negative hype. Popular opinion is rarely the right opinion.

It does what it was meant to do

Author: onedaykim from United States
24 August 2012

Casa de mi Padre is not for everyone. There is a very limited audience for this movie, such as Spanish speaking folk, Will Ferrell fans. But the main one I think is the telenovela watching audience.

Casa de mi Padre is meant to poke fun at Mexican telenovelas, and it pretty much succeeded. The exaggerated acting, the exaggerated drama, weddings getting shot up, the hilarious mistakes that telenovelas usually do and the not so great pacing. This movie has it all, and it manages to exaggerate even MORE on top of that. Typical Ferrell style.

The film also has a great Hispanic cast to boot. Diego Luna, Pedro Armendariz, Gael Garcia, Genesis Rodriguez and more. And of course, Will Ferrell speaking Spanish the whole film. He does an excellent job at it.

All in all this movie is hilarious. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and if you liked what you read just now you will most likely enjoy it too.

It is a spoof, nothing serious

Author: Planson
4 April 2012

I am a fan of spoof movies like Mel Brooks, Naked Gun, Loaded Weapon, Airplane 1&2, Top Secret, Hot Shots 1&2, Mafia and Scary Movie 3&4 so I was not phased at all by this movie. Casa de mi padre is a spoof of soap operas, the ones in Latin America in particular, and westerns. The movie does ridiculous stuff such as obvious fake backgrounds, revealing the camera crew in reflections and obviously fake animals in the scenery.

Making Will Ferrell the lead works since he specializes in comedy and is not a native Spanish speaker which makes it funny. He spoke very well, and I understood everything so it was not annoying. He was fortunate to be surrounded by native speakers to coach him and have actors from Mexico that could teach him Mexican slang since Will Ferrell's character is from Mexico.

Gael García Bernal was a total scene stealer. I know him for only his serious roles in Amores Perros and The Motorcycle Diaries so it was odd seeing him be so funny.

Some of the silliness dragged on a bit, and I wanted to fast forward. The joke was delivered, I enjoyed it but please not stretch it out to a whole minute.

This is a spoof and in Spanish and has Will Ferrell. I enjoy all 3 so it was a lot of fun for myself, but I understand why it is limited release.

Wow....and I thought I'd seen everything!!

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
20 July 2012

"Casa de mi Padre" is a bizarre experiment--the sort of picture that shows that Will Ferrell has made a LOT of money over the years and now he just wants to branch out and have some fun. After all, why else would he agree to star in a Spanish-language comedy?! And, for the most part, the films is played VERY seriously while insanely stupid things happen all around him. It's very surreal and very odd--and the sort of experiment many will find baffling and unfunny. I liked it...but I certainly wouldn't like a steady diet of such films. My attitude is that this is one worth seeing...once.

This film is a cheesy yet stylish send-up of Mexican films. Compared to most Americans, I've seen a ton--but my experience with Mexican films is limited--with mostly el Santo and the Aztec Mummy films of the 50s, 60s and 70s. At times, it looks a bit like a combination of a Sam Peckinpah film, a VERY stylish commercial for cologne and a cheesy mess--complete with VERY unrealistic backgrounds, horses and the Jaguar King--all things you really have to see for yourself! It also is the only film I know of where there is an apology in the middle of the movie--by the second assistant director! Overall, it's VERY dry, very bizarre and a bit funny. But, as I said before, it's certainly NOT the sort of joke most will enjoy--it takes a special person to appreciate this ultra-strange film.

By the way, be sure to watch the making of featurette on the DVD--it makes the movie a lot more interesting to watch.

Pure comedy gold!!!

Author: MovieCriticMarvelfan from california
15 March 2012

Nice parody of Westerns and Spanish telenovelas. Of course seeing a "gringo" play the lead in this comedy role with a largely Mexican cast was going to be fun, but Ferrell was absolutely perfect and the only guy that could have pulled it off very well.

With his poor broken Spanish and intentional bad acting guaranteed a laugh a minute. Just looking as his black perm and acting Mexican pretty much sold the movie. However, the barrage of over the top and bizarre sequences pretty much elevated the movie even more (and there are too many too list).

Probably my favorite involved the ones involving the "White cat" (pure gold).

The supporting cast is made of acclaimed Mexicans actors like Diego Luna, and the late Pedro Armendáriz Jr., and young up and coming actress Genesis Rodriguez who all gave great comedic performances.

You can tell they really had fun with this one.

Recommended.

The Love child of Ricky Bobby + Anchorman

Author: queenlove35
25 June 2011

My husband and I saw this movie about 9 months ago as a finished product. It was AMAZING and way more funnier than you ever think it would be! Will speaks very good Spanish and uses "Pedro" from the Napoleon dynamite movie as his BFF. Can't go wrong without seeing this movie if you want to see the lovechild of Anchorman and Ricky Bobby. it combines cheap backdrops, randomness and everything there is to love about Will. Movie has anchorman wit and corniness and Ricky Bobby's humorous take on Spanish Novellas. No Will Ferrel Movie is complete without dream sequences and lots of laughs that will make you want to purchase the movie when it comes out. We will be seeing this movie again once it hits theaters.

Casa de mi Padre is a GEM!

Author: estrellaeguino from United States
20 July 2012

Perhaps because I grew up amid my family's obsession with nightly Spanish soap-operas, the spoof of this most ridiculous genre made the movie so hilarious! I have been a fan of Will Ferrell since he played the cow bell on SNL. When he's in character just walking into a room makes me crack up, so watching him immersed in the character of Armando Alvarez, speaking Spanish throughout the entire movie made it all the funnier. The lampooning of stereo-types and clichés were abundant and satisfyingly fresh. The entire cast was fabulous and the small details, for those who notice, make this movie one of the best comedic films I've seen in a long time. It was a pleasure and a treat to watch.

Will Ferrell fans will love this like I did. If you are worried he won't be funny in Spanish don't be. So funny. I say B+

Author: Tony Heck from United States
13 July 2012

"Ill take care of my family, let the devil take care of you." After Armando's (Ferrell) brother Raul (Luna) returns home he is happy is family is whole again. His father is happy that his favorite son is back and they are all impressed with his new girlfriend. After talking to her Armando begins to wonder about his brother's new wealth. When he finds out his brother is a drug dealer he begins to second guess everything. When a family tragedy occurs it is up to Armando to avenge the Alvarez name. I have to preface this by saying that I am a huge Will Ferrell fan and love just about everything he has done (wasn't a fan of "Semi-Pro"). After the masterpiece that was "Anchorman" he did seem to make a few movies where he played that guy over and over. I really liked it but when you saw a movie with him you knew exactly what you were gonna get. Then I saw "Everything Must Go". I gained more respect for him after that because of his stretch to become more of a dramatic actor. Then he does this movie...entirely in Spanish. I was looking forward to it but wasn't sure what to expect. I should have known however. The comedy is definitely Ferrell type comedy...over the top line delivery and totally off the wall things that you can't help but laugh at (such as we walks to a large brown calf to pick it up, when he turns around it is an obviously stuffed black one). Trying his best to make a cheesy 70's style Mexican movie he 100% attains his goal. Cheesy effects and bad editing make it that much funnier. Overall, if you like Will Ferrell you will love this movie. I sure did. Very funny. If you are worried that his humor won't work in another language don't worry. It does and then some. I give it a B+.

Great for movie buff with lots of nods to great films...

Author: Kilroymax from United States
22 July 2012

I don't feel there are any spoilers here, but for those who want to go into a movie not knowing more than there basic story, be warned.

If you are a movie buff and enjoy looking for gaffs, continuity mistakes, bad blocking etc, you will love this movie for that alone.

Things to look for (no spoilers): butterflies, mannequins, stuffed animals as in trophies, but wait... is that all?

How about rear screen (how many times is that truck going to pass?), moving trees, is that a man's arm? Once you've watched the movie, the commentary is very entertaining, but kind of deep, reference-wise. I enjoy most of Will Ferrel's movies.

If you hate him, this is not the movie that will make you change your mind. It is exactly what they set out to make, and I believe they made a very entertaining movie. It would probably make a pretty good movie for production classes on what not to do when making a movie. Hope you enjoy it!

A Fun Parody of Telenovelas for Those Willing to Give it a Chance

Author: brando647 from Spring Hill, FL
23 October 2012

I have nothing but respect when actors or filmmakers take risks, and this was a risk on Will Ferrell's part. Ferrell is already a hit-or-miss comic actor, with a few great movies under his belt and just as many forgettable. For every ANCHORMAN there's a LAND OF THE LOST. I'm not the biggest fan of his movies but when's he good, he's good. I was happy to see Ferrell had the nerve to release a small movie, low budget with deliberately poor production value, and completely in Spanish. In a time when so many American moviegoers refuse to sit through a movie they'll need to "read", you've got to love what you do to go against the grain with a film like CASA DE MI PADRE. Good for Ferrell and his film buddies for doing the movie, and the best part is…I actually enjoyed it. Well, not at first. The movie is done in the style of Mexican/Spanish telenovelas. It's a feature length soap opera/Spanish western, and I know that alone will turn some people off. It is the tale of Armando Alvarez (Ferrell), a simple ranchero working on his father's land when his beloved brother Raul makes a triumphant return to their homestead with exciting news. Raul (Diego Luna) is to be married to the beautiful Sonia (Genesis Rodriguez) and he has plans to revive his father's dying ranch. But with the dangerous drug lord La Onza (Gael Garcia Bernal) moving in on their land, Armando discovers that his brother might not be as noble as he believed.

This movie needed an extra viewing to really grow on me. I wasn't impressed the first time, believing it to be a one note joke dragged out to feature length (Will Ferrell speaking Spanish…poorly. I can hardly contain my laughter.) But, really, there is a lot of hilarious stuff here. It's just subtler than I was expecting. The best bits are a lot of the little things. Sure, there're some blatantly funny parts, especially with the deliberate poor production value. Painted backdrops, obvious sets, obvious props, rear projection, etc. But then there are the little things. Raul never without a cigarette and drink in his hands, even in the midst of a violent gun battle. Armando can't roll a cigarette to save his life (although the commentary with Ferrell reveals that he can, in fact, roll a cigarette…just not when he's trying to remember his lines in another language). The melodrama, the cheesy line delivery…it's great. The opening of the movie sets the tone perfectly: Ferrell in a field with his fellow rancheros and a herd of cattle. Ferrell stoically dismounts from his horse and approaches a small brown calf…the scene cuts to a new angle as he bends down to pick it up and he rises with a blatantly fake black calf as he stares dramatically into the sun. Boom…cut to the trippy, James Bond-ish opening titles with none other than Christina Aguilera singing. It didn't win me over at first, but I love it now.

I have to give Ferrell credit: there are times when he almost sounds fluent in his Spanish. I love his musical numbers. He's a perfect balance of serious and absurd, though I hate to say we're treated to an abundance of Ferrell butt shots. I could've done without that. The rest of the cast is even better. Diego Luna is solid gold as Raul with swagger and confidence, and Genesis Rodriguez (an actress with an actual history in Spanish soap operas) is both amazingly beautiful and the only one giving her role an honest try. She gives the movie it's biggest dose of dramatic performing, taking her role 100% serious amongst all of the bizarre. And then there's Gael Garcia Bernal….this dude is hilarious. Easily the funniest part of the movie in my opinion. Again, he's not outright goofball in his performance as the movie's villain, La Onza. It's the little quirks here and there that he tosses in. He had me laughing harder than anything else at times. All the more reason it's a shame that a lot of people will probably skip this movie because of it's strange premise and it's use of Spanish with English subtitles. You don't have to be familiar with telenovelas to enjoy it; I certainly wasn't. A passing familiarity with them and an open mind is enough to enjoy CASA DE MI PADRE, one of Ferrell's better films.

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]