IMDb > Detention (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

The Absolute Best Movie from the Sea Int'l Film Festival

Author: Jillayne Schlicke from Edmonds, WA
19 March 2012

I have been waiting for this movie to go into wide release since being in the audience at the 2011 Seattle International Film Festival when the director brought this film to town. The entire theater was packed and I don't know of a single person who was not having a blast. The film grabs you from the beginning and you're hanging on to the arms of your chair until the end. I'm not talking about horror...I'm talking about the sheer PACE of the movie.

The film is VERY fast-paced. So fast that when the audience was cracking up from a line or a scene, the next scene had already started and we missed the first several lines. It took me about 15 minutes to adjust to the pace, kind of like when you watch an Irish film it takes the same amount of time to figure out What ppl are saying and then once your brain gets into the groove, you're off.

I would describe this film as a mash up of Heathers, Donnie Darko, and The Breakfast Club on acid, with a Red Bull soda chaser. Super fun, destined to be a classic.

I wonder if they've waited for a release so that Josh Hutcherson can become a super mega star via The Hunger Games, in order to boost revenue. Not. A. Bad. Plan.

Go see this movie. You're welcome.

9/10 - Not for Most people but if you get it you get it.

Author: Raglan22 from United States
24 August 2012

I wasn't going to write a review but so many people on the boards don't seem to like the movie at all. Detention is a sharp, extremely fast paced parody/homage/comedy/slasher/WTF?!?! film for people who watch a LOT of movies. I honestly don't know if it would have been as enjoyable if I hadn't understood most of the references to teen culture, movies, bands and high-school life that peppered the movie every thirteen seconds, but I got more than a few and thought it was perfect.

The editing. Wow. The editing was certainly unique and I loved the jumps and cuts that kept the story moving far faster than most movies I've seen lately. It's probably not for everyone, but again that seems to be the consensus on the entire movie. The way the flashbacks were done was especially fun. I assume the director was responsible for how the film was edited and I'm going to hunt down everything else he's done and watch it now. Assuming he's been able to get money for anything else. I don't know if this was or will be a financial success. Josh Hutcherson should give it a bump in viewership but I don't know if the people who would want to see this will be able to find it. Hopefully it will become a cult hit over the next few years, circulating among folks who appreciate this kind of thing. Speaking of the acting - it was all spot on - exactly how you'd expect people in that situation to act :) Seriously though Hutcherson and Caswell were both very good, as were the supporting characters. The Bear did a fine job as well.

If I had to describe this movie I'd say it was a cross between Brick, Donnie Darko, and Not Another Teen Movie. Would I recommend it? To those of my friends I think would get it. Will I watch it again? Definitely.

Where is Clapton Davis?!

Author: Aaron Gundersen from Kenosha, WI
29 April 2012

I have been an independent film advocate for years, especially in the horror genre. There are many directors out there in this genre, but only few who truly love their craft. Those who love their craft create films because of passion, not simply because of what is trending at that time.

What Joseph Kahn was able to achieve with Detention was nothing short of amazing. It was well shot, and the writing was great. The acting was on point, and kept you engaged throughout the entire film. Not once was I bored, and at times I was even a little confused. It is not a typical genre film. It is not a horror film, as you may think, but something that stands on it's own. Highly original, Detention is a film that I cannot wait to go see again!

A fast paced Genre jumping Comedy/Horror!

Author: Michael 'Hallows Eve' Smillie from New Zealand
22 July 2012

This is a fast paced comedy/slasher type film. It uses references from different genre's and different movies. For me, this is part of the attraction as it jumps from one genre reference to another all while paying homage to some classic horror films. The story, although for some seeming to be all over the place, all makes more sense towards the end of the movie. I can't go in to the how or why because I will be giving away the plot, but it comes together and travels along quite quickly. It's no 'Shaun Of The Dead' (that will hard to beat), but it is different and also takes the p!ss out of the teens of our generation, and who doesn't like that? So I give this film a 7 out of 10.

Too cool for school

Author: kosmasp
25 January 2012

Actually you might feel this tries so hard to be cool, that it never quite achieves that goal. But is that a criticism? And if you think that the same man who directed this took a hiatus after his last movie (Torque), just because he wanted to find himself and his own style rather than just do one studio movie after the other. The director himself will be the first to tell you how much he despises the movie itself (though I do think he is a bit too hard on himself on "Torque"). Still it's refreshing to see a director not being full of himself. Kudos for that and the movie he made here.

Detention is worth watching a second time. Just to see if you got everything right the first time around. And because of the dialogue. If you want to criticize something, I guess you can say, that every character is fast with a witty response, making them all seem alike. Characters could have been developed a bit better. Still good throughout, with a rather complicated story.

Fun, fast-paced and just good fun !

Author: Xander Othen from U.K
30 July 2012

Saw this film not really expecting too much but boy was I in for a good time. Its fun, fast paced and never takes its self too seriously. I found the cast to be engaging and enjoyable to watch, with possibly the exception of Dane Cook but that guy just irks me anyway.The effects may have lacked a certain ''Hollywood'' polish but did the trick just fine and in my opinion complimented the feel of the movie well. There are lots of riffs and references to other movies/actors, trying to spot them all just adds to the overall entertainment value. Certainly requires more than one viewing to take it all in.

There are a lot worse ways to kill an hour and a half.

See it for yourself.

Amazingly awesome and gnarly!!!

Author: amsmohcire from Canada
9 August 2012

Anyone with anything bad to say about this movie is out to lunch...This is a really cool take on a slasher movie you wouldn't expect. The movie is super well cool and extremely stylish. A quality young cast, no annoying characters. Really interestingly written and off the wall in the best possible way...This movie really exceeded my expectations. I'd put this up there with Cabin in the Woods for most interesting and unique horror movies I've seen this year. This movie is must see for fans of cool, unique, hip horror movies. I'm really hoping they come up with a sequel to this movie. There's lots they could still do with the characters and environment they created in this masterpiece of gnarly cinema.

Very cool

Author: rivertam26 from United States
21 September 2012

Yes this is a convoluted, over the top, cinematically offensive mess of a film but it's also one of the coolest films I've seen in quite some time. Embracing every tired cliché and exploiting the hell out of them Detention is a hard movie to even sum up. If in fact you can even call it one. I'm sure as many people will hate it as love it. The bizarre social subtext and plastic infusion of stereotypes flipped on their sides while on acid lends itself to an always surprising and creative vibe that works more than not. Sure the film feels a little long in it's three ring circus finale trying to make insane sense of the events that proceeded it but the film works best when just making clever stabs at modern teen thinking and astute observations on the trendiness of trends. Joseph Kahn redeems himself of the cinematic stink from his previous eye popping but soulless feature Torque even adding in a few jokes at his expense.A music video director magnet of Britney Spears fame he unleashes Detention with a visual pizazz and over the top cinematic foray into smart thinking for 90s bad cinema buffs. Being a child of that era I couldn't help but appreciate all the references and the way it all added up, seeing the blatant irony in the films entirety it's hard for me not too overly praise the films bombastic effect but a second more in tuned watch I feel would expose the films faults and maybe a sense of brilliance I may have created. but at this point Detention is just really cool!

Hilarious

Author: Beer de Haas from Amsterdam (Netherlands)
6 August 2012

First off: If you doubt to watch this movie, Definitely watch it. Detention is one of the first movies that actually made me laugh. At first sight I thought that Detention was some kind of 'Scary Movie' like movie, but it wasn't. It contains 'real' humor.

at the beginning of the movie I found it fun immediately. with the big moving on-screen titles, But the film is fast, and sometimes even too fast, but that is one of the nice things about this film. I also really liked the music, even the worst music, a cover of MMBop, fitted well in this film.

I watched detention 2 times already and I'm planning to watch it again with my friends. I hope you find my review use full, it's my first.

Cheers.

Gee, I Wonder Why the Reviews Here are so Polarized...? Duh...!

Author: lathe-of-heaven from Sunny Southern California, USA
15 September 2012

Come on... By just a brief glance at the reviews here it is glaringly obvious that half the people love it and half the people hate it. Soooo, obviously this is gonna be one of those films that if it indeed is your kind of thing (as a few of the reviewers here clearly state in their summaries) and if this kind of writing and humour is up your alley, so to speak, then yes, you WILL love it as I did.

This film is probably one of THE sharpest and cleverest 'Teen Comedies' ever written; yes, a lot of the humour is crass and obvious also, but the sharp stuff is frigg'n great! And just the TOTAL and I mean TOTAL off the cliff, absolutely NON-sequitur scenes are so damn funny, such as the time traveling bear and alien angles. Hilarious! And, within the dialog are some really clever self-referential comments so amazingly bent back upon themselves multiple times, that you REALLY have to pay attention (assuming you are at all interested in the first place) in order to catch most of them. AND, if that is not enough, you have some pretty good atmosphere here and there tossed in at odd places that also works pretty dang well.

Just think of 'SCREAM' as a very, VERY primitive, rudimentary starting point; then, mix in huge quantities of crack, x-tacy, and liberal amounts of David Lynch Lite, and that's pretty much what you have. I would say that probably the main criteria as to whether you will like this movie or not will depend on how much you enjoy razor sharp, lightening fast dialog and concepts, BUT, also mixed in with a fair amount of crude teen humour too. If, say, 'ANIMAL HOUSE' is your idea of clever, than you probably should just keep on moving because there's nothing to see here... But, if you like your humour sharp and way, Way, WAY the hell off the wall and coming from minds that are CLEARLY pharmacologically enhanced, and I DO mean enhanced, then this is indeed your kind of stuff...

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]