IMDb > Thor: God of Thunder (2011) (VG) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Thor: God of Thunder (VG) More at IMDbPro »

I looked at this game tonight wondering why I left it lying there for nearly a year... now I have removed all doubt

Author: WakenPayne from Valhalla
14 October 2013

I can play some movie based games. However I think exploring what has basically been seen on the big screen has it's problems. One of them being the movie has too little action and the result then is constant padding to it (like the Iron Man game) or it is extremely rushed so you don't have a decent product. Thor: God Of Thunder is the latter.

The plot differs from the movie. Frost Giants attack Asgard and Thor goes to Yodenheim and fights them off... Or at least that is the amount that I have played. Seriously, on Yodenheim there is this one stage where enemies are constantly trying to kill you while spikes of ice pop up from the ground in an un-sequenced order.

You really have little chance of getting out of that even on easy mode and this is coming from someone who has played the Deus Ex games (even the second one) but unlike the Deus Ex games where if you can't face the conflict you can sneak around it or some other such tactic, here you have to fight in conditions like that.

Not to mention that the controls are just bad. The buttons that can be pressed simply have Thor's hammer hitting other people on it's own... no lightning, just on it's own. There is one button used to activate a special attack from wind, lightning or thunder but wouldn't it make more sense if you had attacks like that to battle the Frost Giants? I mean seriously, why not electrocute one while spinning another with the wind while still using the power of thunder and Mjionir to attack another? Don't say I wouldn't face a challenge that way because when you make a level more seemingly complex with even stupider decisions in controls than Deus Ex Invisible War - stop making video games.

So I would only recommend to fans of Thor. I however am not a fan of Thor and think he is a bland character, someone gave this game to me as a gift and only tonight when I picked it up again I could see why the game was one that I put on the shelf. I do believe that superheroes can make awesome video games it's just... not like this.