IMDb > Champs (2015) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Champs More at IMDbPro »

Overcome your challenges

Author: Prashant Sharma Dhakal from Kathmandu
16 March 2015

It is one of the most inspiring and motivating movie that i have seen lately.Everything about this movie is amazing.Struggle,pain we have in our life and how to overcome it is this movie all about. I always loved boxing though it is not a big sport here in Nepal.i watched it on TV,Youtube.I am a big fan of IRON mike Tyson.He is the man. Poverty,fame and the downfall these things are well defined in this movie. Watch it you will not regret it.This movie is a beautiful journey about passion and the things that you will do to overcome things that you are not able to do. I loved CHAMPS. I give it 8 stars out of 10.

Brilliant

Author: single-sarah1 from United States
12 March 2015

This is a stand out film. I saw the film because a friend invited me to a special screening and knew nothing about it before watching. Afterwards I was totally floored and so happy to have spent 90 minutes that way. Documentaries can often drag, especially in a theater, but this felt so much like a gorgeously shot narrative film that I had to remind myself afterward that this was entirely real and authentic, not a scripted film. The themes, messages and characters were so full of impact. I especially loved Bernard Hopkins' story because I didn't know a lot about him and he is a truly remarkable person. The celebrity voices were also really fun to watch and totally impressive. Definitely see this one in theaters or on the computer - works so well either way.

Great Surprise

Author: samanthadonaldson22 from United States
14 March 2015

As a female who is not super into sports, I wasn't sure if this documentary was going to be my cup of tea. I went with friends anyways to the opening night in NYC. I don't usually write reviews (this is actually my first), but I thought this movie deserved special attention. In a few words, I was totally mesmerized and loved it. I cannot watch boxing, but watching the stories of these incredible men was totally captivating and moving. I found their stories compelling and powerful and the message that I was left with at the end was incredibly inspiring. Thereafter, I was feeling incredibly introspective and started thinking a lot more about various issues we face, as well as issues that I face myself. I would highly recommend.

Knock Out

Author: ganeothem from United States
13 March 2015

I'm sorry to be cliché, but I just had to say it. This is an incredibly stunning film that captivated my attention from start to finish. I not only loved the primary stories that traced and captured the three main guys - Mike Tyson, Evander Holyfield and Bernard Hopkins - but I also loved hearing from the other voices. From experts in the field to A list celebrities, I was completely in awe of seeing people that I wouldn't have expected to be in a documentary about boxing to have such meaningful places. I was lucky enough to attend a special screening with Evander Holyfield, but I am also going to see it again with a few friends this weekend. It was so much more than a movie about the fight game and I am still thinking about it today.

Best Documentary I've Seen All Year

Author: raymondbiskelle from United States
11 March 2015

This is the best documentary that I've seen all year. Although the film stars boxers Tyson, Hopkins and Holyfield, it is so much more than a boxing movie or a movie for boxing fans. The cast ranges from A-listers like Mark Wahlberg, Ron Howard, Denzel Washington and more and then includes a number of other knowledgeable experts on various subject matters. It's an incredibly entertaining film with so much heart. Any person who has ever been through a difficult time can find something to relate to and hold onto in this film. I found myself thinking about it far after I saw it, which to me, is the sign of an impactful story. Champs is a must see for me and I give huge kudos to the filmmaker for getting this story told in such a unique way. Bravo.

This Doc. is a Knockout!...

Author: MovieHoliks
22 June 2015

I'm not a sports fan, but for some reason I usually enjoy sports-related dramatic films and documentaries. I just saw this great documentary on boxing greats Mike Tyson, Evander Holyfield and Bernard Hopkins- which examines their lives in and out of the ring. The film goes into the mentality that generally leads people in oppressed/impoverished groups to fight. As someone points out in the film- rich kids don't have to fight.

I've seen multiple shows/movies/docs about Tyson, and this one explores his insecurities in a way I've not seen in the others so far. The film also interviews dozens of people involved in the sport in one way or another, including Ron Howard (who directed the boxing film "Cinderella Man"), Denzel Washington (who starred in the boxing biopic "The Hurricane"), and Will Smith (who played Cassius Clay AKA Muhammed in "Ali"), etc... First-rate boxing doc!- forgive me, but this film is a "knockout"! o.O O.o

Passionate, Entertaining and Moving

Author: sam-beeker from United States
12 March 2015

I had the pleasure of seeing CHAMPS at an advanced special screening followed by a Q+A with director Bert Marcus and Evander Holyfield. In so few words, the film was phenomenal. I know of Mike Tyson and Evander Holyfield, and knew very little about Bernard Hopkins, but after this film I was a truly passionate fan and admirer of all three men. The film brilliantly weaves stories of their uprbringings and career trajectories with meaningful and powerful socially conscious information. I was engaged for the full span of the film and left asking myself questions about various facets of our society and even of myself. This is a very special work that needs to be seen. The Q+A with the two men afterward was even more impressive. Evander's candid stories and point of view mixed with Bert Marcus' thorough explanations of why certain things were done and how they were accomplished were incredibly entertaining and powerful. I will definitely be telling people about this film.

Distraught champs!

Author: santiagocosme from Spain
26 March 2016

Champs is a wonderful documentary that any boxing fan should watch. It concentrates on the side of the sport that we don't get to see. It tells us the struggle and the reasons why boxers become boxers. The lives of the Holyfields, Tysons, and other sporting legends who found in boxing a door to a better life. And how from the top, they fell down, to find themselves again on the wrong side of life, with barely the means to survive. Boxing is dying little by little. It has lost his soul. Champs is probably the last great documentary we will get to see about boxers that became icons; boxers that paralyzed the world with their punches. A must see, if you care about the noble art.