IMDb > Delirium (2014) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Delirium (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Great pilot episode!

Author: Marissa M
29 July 2014

This aired an a pilot episode on Hulu after it was rejected as a series for the Fox channel.

I actually wish that I never watched this because after seeing it I longed for another episode, but then after a quick google search realized there would not be another. It's a great thriller romance and the plot is fairly original. I think the actors chosen also played their parts well and none of them came with a predetermined character type that they usually play the role of.

Great show and I wish it could have been picked up; I'll just have to read the books to find out what happens.

Do I Dare Disturb The Universe

Author: georgina10
8 July 2014

I went into this without knowing it was a TV pilot and without knowing it was not picked up! Probably a good thing to do whenever watching something new - you are left with a very genuine opinion. I LOVED IT and WANTED MORE! That, in one sentence is what my opinion is of Delirium - I thought this was a movie and was glued to it from the beginning. My ONLY disappointment was at the end when I wanted more and went looking for part 2 or information on follow up episodes to learn it was a TV pilot and has NOT been picked up! Disappointed is an under statement!! This was a great story and I was deeply involved in how this would all turn out for them. Great cast, very believable story line, and emotional involvement for both sides of the "Delirium" debate. Would you have the procedure? and to the parents that have had it done are you any better? Could you really spend your life without these deep feelings and emotions? .These were great questions that would no doubt have been dealt with in future episodes. I was on the edge of my seat at the end for Lena and was excited to see what was next for her, would she meet her Father? would she be reunited with her new love interest, would he survive? These are all the right kind of questions you want for a TV series, you want viewers WANTING MORE and Delirium ticked all those boxes!. To those who have read the book and said it is nothing like it etc etc , then I say THIS was just 1 episode , a pilot, a TASTE of the book series and a sample of what was to come and I thoroughly enjoyed it! I agree with others who also enjoyed it and have said they are tired of the endless "cop shows" being picked up , yet we have something different here in Delirium that would suit a whole range of viewers and it failed to get picked up....... WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? I am a huge fan of Criminal Minds and CSI and Blue Bloods or so many of the same style Comedies but there is plenty of room for something completely new, something like Delirium. "DO I DARE DISTURB THE UNIVERSE" = ironic!

Exceeded My Expectations

Author: toria-18 from Australia
26 June 2014

I just thought I would give my thoughts on this show since I am such a massive fan of the book trilogy and Lauren Oliver's work. When I first heard it was going to be made into a TV show rather than a movie series, I was shocked and scared .. As normally TV adaptions are further from the book than they would be if a movie. However Delirium exceeded my expectations. Yes many things are changed from the book, But i honestly believe that it didn't ruin the series for me at all. I really loved it, seeing how the city was portrayed and the characters come to life on a screen, It was amazing and I thought it was great. Definitely better than i thought and I would recommend that anyone who read the books or is curious about the show to watch it. I actually loved seeing this interpretation of it.. I know it has changed a lot but that's what's supposed to happen, we get a different take on the books and get to see it come to life and I loved that. I am bitterly disappointed that the show was not picked up by a station and I wish we could see the ending to Delirium. I would do anything to see this show finished and completed and I beg whoever is in charge .. to make more! It really needs to be finished off !! I was thoroughly enjoying it and I am hoping with all my heart that it continues on!! Thanks!!

Major Case of Cliff Hanger

Author: elizabethe1223 from Indianapolis
28 December 2014

This movie was AMAZING! I just wish there was a sequel to it because where it leaves off is not a good place. I don't understand why FOX has not adopted this movie project and televised it even, it would make a killing. The actors are AMAZING and you can feel the chemistry between Emma Roberts who plays the female lead: Lena, and Daren Kagasoff who plays the male lead in love with Lena: Alex, just the simple things they do make the movie that much greater. This is a hit and hopefully FOX gets some sense and realizes that. It is not too late for this to be shown and forwarded. Crossing my fingers that a sequel comes to life! There are just so many unanswered questions that people who have not read the books will not understand, and frankly people who have would like to see what they have been envisioning in their heads play out on screen. It is refreshing to see characters come to life through film and these actors do a fantastic job and should continue playing out the love and adventure of Lena, Alex, and all the other characters too!

In many ways, Delirium appears inspired by The Giver, but is more angled toward appealing to those who would like something Divergent style.

Author: Amari-Sali from http://www.amari-sali.blogspot.com/
27 June 2014

WIGS is a web station which has a sole focus of having women in leading roles, well for the most part white women, but it has to be said that most of their programming certainly does force the idea that just because something is web based, it doesn't mean it is an inferior product. Especially when compared to something which traditionally would premiere on TV. Delirium is no different for while it does seem like a CW show, or maybe one of ABC Family's weaker offerings back when The Secret Life of the American Teenager was their biggest hit, it nonetheless surely has an audience.

Topic 1: A Loveless Society – Lena & Hannah

Sometime in the future love has seemingly become taboo and banished from a person's emotions when they are 18. Up until then, everything, in school anyway, is separate. Boy have classes with boys and girls have classes with girls, and then when you are 18 you lose the ability to develop love for someone and are paired off. Needless to say, this seems less than ideal, but in their world it solves so many problems.

For example, heartache, and the violence which can come with it, seems to be eliminated. For example, Lena's (Emma Roberts) mother killed herself upon being told her husband died, thus leaving Lena to be raised by her older sister and husband. However, just because people are taught to avoid love like it is cooties, it doesn't mean girls don't get giddy over the prospect of who the government will arrange their spouse to be. Lena's best friend Hannah (Jeanine Mason), for example, is skittish and worries over who her husband is to be. Though, lucky for her, she ends up getting the son of a senator.

Topic 2: Those in Power – Thomas

A group known as DFA, a major supplier of the Deliria prevention drug, is ran by Thomas Fineman (Billy Campbell). A man who seems solely invested in the treatment of Deliria due to his heart being broken by a young lady named Sunny when he was a teenager. But while he may tout the end of the plague, which is love, as being something good, and a nationwide issue, he is a slight hypocrite. Which I say solely because not only does he have banned literature and music in his study, which inspire feelings of love, but also still holds onto a picture of Sunny, the girl who broke his heart. All of which is discovered by his son Julian (Gregg Sulkin) who has yet to be vaccinated, and may not be able to due to a low white blood cell count. Though if Thomas had his way, he would never mind what the doctors say and make sure his son got vaccinated. Something which may have to be done soon since Julian seems to be a bit of a voyeur with Hannah being a prime target.

Topic 3: The Resistance – Lena & Alex

However, Hannah isn't the only target of someone, or should I say something, on the show. Lena is a target as well, but more so of the resistance movement. You see, very much like The Giver there is a fence, or wall, which separates those being controlled and those who are not. Something Thomas worries about especially when the resistance movement attacks his facility and steals documents. Leading to why Thomas and Senator Hargrove (Michael Michele) meet. For his 5 million DFA members, all he wants it the ability to search people's homes without a warrant. Something he gets.

What he doesn't realize though is that the resistance has infiltrated his armed forces, as well as the senator's staff. As for why Lena matters in all this? Well her father, the would-be dead Conrad Holoway, was a major player in creating the Deliria cure. But, from what we learn of the resistance members, it seems he realized how destructive the cure was so he decided to try to reverse its effects. Due to this, not only was he locked away, but his family was told he died. However, with his escape comes a 2nd chance for the end of the Deliria cure and Lena is the key to finding Conrad for they expect him to come looking for her.

Thus leading to them sending Alex (Daren Kagasoff) in to romance her and bring her beyond the fence. For with his position as a cop he has a wide range of movement and, with him being young and attractive, I'm sure they figure him a better operative than someone who could try to convince her with words alone. And damn if he not only befriends Lena, and makes her feel the emotion of love, but to seal her fate he delivers a nice ole' kiss on the girl.

Unfortunately for Lena though, when she decides to have a moment with Hannah and share her feelings, it backfires. Hannah tells Lena's older sister, her sister calls the cops, and Lena is almost forced into getting the Deliria cure. That is until Alex rams the cop's car and saves Lena, though at the sacrifice of himself. Leading me to wonder if Alex is going to be punished, or try to play as if he couldn't keep control of her.

Either way, I got to admit this was kind of a boring show. Roberts just doesn't make for a good lead in this "I have been lied to my whole life" type of story, and none of the characters, whether hero, villain, or in between, really get your attention in this pilot. Making me wonder if the book this is based off of is any better.

Hmmm

Author: tifftoffvolly
10 August 2015

After loving the books so completely, I was sad to see this badly made short. It squashed, what was, an entire book into a shabby 40 minute episode that by no means aligned with the book. For a start, Lena's mother, not her father, was locked in the crypts. There were also scenes at Lena's uncles shop that I saw as crucial for the development of the love between Alex and Lena. She also did not live with her sister, but with her aunt. Plus her cousin Grace who is a big part of why Lena does not want to leave is left out completely. Then there is the part where Lena and Alex cross the border just for a day to visit his caravan type thing and what happened to picnics in the abandoned house? Also, when Lena crosses the fence at the end there is supposed to be anyone waiting on the other side, that's why she finds Riven, Tack and the other invalids in the second book. (Note I have not said everything that's missing) To conclude many developmental parts have not been included, the love was rushed, the entire thing was rushed. Over all it was disappointing and only followed the book loosely, revealing different things at different times. Also the amount of knowledge we were given about people that we had not met yet in the books wasted valuable screen time and gave to much away to quickly, diminishing the elements of surprise and/or curiosity. My advice: Don't watch!

Watchable.

Author: S . from United States
24 August 2014

This is a pilot for a show; it is not a movie.

This pilot was interesting and as much as I wanted to love the show, I did not. I thought it had potential, but however did not live up to my expectations from all of its promotion.

The show is worth the watch at least for the concept. I have not watched anything from the WIGS network before, so that also made the show intriguing.

There are holes in the plot and the special effects could be far better. Where it was going to lead was very obvious; I am not sure if that was bad directing or if that is how the book was written.

If they would have continued the show I would have watched it for the concept, not because I loved the show. There are a lot of shows I watch because I like the type of show it is (like science fiction or fantasy).

Waste of a good story and cast

Author: lotte1992
6 August 2014

Because I liked the books I was pretty excited about this series and to see how this would translate onto the small screen. After watching the first episode I was pretty disappointed. The story moves way to fast and does not spend enough time introducing the characters or explaining the concept. The relationships between the characters evolve to quick and are very unbelievable.

I feel like they really wanted to put as much of the books storyline into this one episode and it causes the whole thing the feel hasted. I truly don't understand why the pace had to be so fast and why they did not just take more time to get into the characters and the story.

All and all it was a complete waste of some really good story material. The acting on the other side was pretty good, I was especially impressed with Emma Roberts who plays the lead as Lena. It is a shame that they rushed the thing because they really could have made a great show with this cast and story.

Remember this is a TV programme not a movie

Author: vicki736 from England
30 June 2014

I felt the need to remind a lot of the reviewers that this is to be a television programme not a movie franchise.

I was a bit disheartened when I watched the pilot as doing a whole book in one episode has sort of rushed the whole Lena/Alex falling in love plot, I totally agree with the reviews of this side of things. I think what they are trying to do is work away from the book with this and explore things the book doesn't. With television you can do this as you have a lot of episodes and seasons to do this and can last a long time. I do think they could have done the first book over a few more episodes to develop characters and plot more.

People have said that they not sticking to the story - with television they more or less will always change major aspects of a story and characters, Game of Thrones, under the dome and Vampire Diaries do this a lot, Vampire diaries dramatically so.

I think I would need to see where they take this before I can give a better opinion, but if you are watching based on the book you will be disappointed, but it does have the power to go much further than the book could.

awful movie would not recommend to anyone

Author: nourya-cohen
25 June 2014

If you have read Delirium and are wanting to watch it here's a bit of advice: DON'T They changed everything! Lena and Alex have no chemistry, nothing happens between them, and they skip all there moments. Also Lena just seemed too okay with falling in love with Alex when being in love with him is strictly forbidden and, which I don't see how she could have fell for someone who you barely spent any time with. The movie\episode was way too short as it was without them trying to fit the second book in as well. All in all I feel that the captivating and heartfelt book I read and the awful thing I just watched couldn't be related. And no I will not be watching the next one.