IMDb > TT3D: Closer to the Edge (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
TT3D: Closer to the Edge

TT3D: Closer to the Edge More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

A must-see for petrolheads...or anyone with an interest in what makes other people tick...

Author: johnnychimpo from United Kingdom
20 April 2011

Just got back from seeing this in a packed house at the local fleapit, and it seemed most of the crowd were as impressed as I was, although to be fair most of them were probably predisposed to enjoying an hour and a half of on- and off-track action from the run-up to the 2010 TT, and the event itself.

The Isle Of Man TT Races are familiar to motorsport fans around the world as the Holy Grail of roadracing, an astonishing course set over, in, through and around 37 and a bit miles of the Isle Of Man's countryside, mountains, towns, villages and 'road furniture'. Riders blast through narrow country lanes with stone walls, lamp-posts, kerbs...at speeds approaching 200mph.

To some people in this risk-averse age, the obvious question is "Why do these men (and the odd woman) risk their lives?". The majority of the non-racing scenes in the film give the riders point of view on this; it will not spoil anything to say that the consensus is that riding is a thrill like no other; riding at the extreme is something else beyond that. The passion for the race is all-consuming.

When considering the risks these riders take, it is worth bearing in mind that for many of the riders (and their crews) this is not a full time job. They are not millionaires like formula 1 drivers. While other people get a look in, the focus and star of the show here is Guy Martin, the part-time lorry mechanic, part-time superbike racer, full-time charismatic rebel who has the talent, drive and popular support of a great champion but has never won a TT. Will he do it this year ? Those who follow the sport know the answer, those who don't will be willing him on during the film's race scenes.

I would recommend this without hesitation to anyone who is into motorsport, anyone who wants to understand why other people are into it, and most strongly I would recommend it to anyone who has the slightest interest in learning about other people, what makes them tick, and what you can learn from them.

Almost unbelievable

Author: philrusted from United Kingdom
21 April 2011

The first film that has affected me enough to bother writing a review. Excellent throughout, tense, terrifying, well filmed and good narration. Much more than just another bike documentary.

Few weak spots - narration, although technically good, was in a weak American tone, not ideally suited to something as British as the Isle of Man. Some of the solo footage of Guy riding was a bit weak. He was obviously not going fast, but made to appear so. The on boards were incredible. The atmosphere incredible. The passion incredible.

Never has a cinema completely full of men (99%) been so quiet for so long. The film finished to a stunned silence.

Excellent

does exactly what is says on the tin

Author: Tim Waller from edinburgh
21 April 2011

I have never know a movie fly by so quickly. This does for Road racing and bike racing in general, what LeMans did for the 24 hour race or what Senna may well do for F1. For once here is a film where the 3D isn't a gimmick or an add on to make a poor film seem better, no here it took you to the heart of the action. You felt you were there with the personalities and some of the bravest (or fool hardy) people on the planet. And yet everyone who spoke seemed to think racing motorbikes around a street course at average speeds of over 130 mph was the most natural thing in the world. My admiration goes out not only to those who appeared in the film but also to Bridgett Dobbs who probably gives those who haven't competed there the greatest insight. To quote Sir Jackie Stewart "Having just seen that film I think that us Formula One drivers are a bunch of pussycats in comparison. People will see that film and want to go to the TT. I certainly want to go to the race". High Praise indeed and a film that does real justice to the Isle of Man TT. Brilliant and unmissable. The human stories make this film accessible to everyone so you don't need to be a biker to see this film. Congratulations to all involved. More please!

With the totally photogenic Guy Martin playing a starring role how could it go wrong?!

Author: cabarrett65 from United Kingdom
21 April 2011

With great anticipation we travelled the 55 odd miles to the nearest 3D cinema showing this film.

We'd booked the tickets a week before and had then spent the whole week scouring the net for reviews and trailers as we didn't really know how the subject was going to be portrayed. I can happily say we were not disappointed.

The film really took you into the heart of TT racing and showed the spirit and passion of all those involved from the fanatical fans and dedicated Marshall's to the talented and brave riders and their families and teams.

I shed a tear, laughed and most importantly felt a renewed passion and dedication to get us over the water to the TT as soon as possible.

I disagree with a previous review that only men will like this film. There are plenty of us female bikers out there and with the totally photogenic Guy Martin playing a starring role how could it go wrong?! I hope this film goes onto be a big success but, as with all types of biking media, it won't get the coverage or publicity that it really deserves.

Get yourself to a cinema now and watch what is a very well put together, entertaining and interesting bit of cinematography you won't regret it.

TT3D..................Cracking movie

Author: billhox from United Kingdom
25 April 2011

This film tells it like it is, through a racers eyes, all the blood sweat and tears of road racing at its fastest, and sometimes, with its most brutal side for all to see. Once the island has got in your head, it is very difficult to shake it out, to these guys it is like a drug, which they keep going back for more and more, no matter what happens. It is without doubt the best bike orientated film I have ever seen. The TT is a mecca for most motorcyclists, this film gives an insight into why we all go to visit year on year. The choices of focus are well chosen, with three distinct types of rider. Guy Martin, who tells it as he sees it, yet to win a TT event. But a win cannot be far away for Martin. John McGuiness, the hardened 15 times TT winner, bags of experience and guile and no mean rider, very skillful. Ian Hutchinson, cool, focused, a very fast rider. When the film was made Hutchy went on to win 5 races in the TT week, a feat never done before. This mix of character helped make the movie an unmissable experience. To give you an idea how good a movie this is, my wife ain't into bikes, but she was glued to this from start to finish. one word describes it..............Brilliant.

A must see film.

Author: Sam Kay from United Kingdom
22 April 2011

What an amazing film. It was everything that I Superbiker wasn't. Has made me love Guy Martin even more (if that was possible). I had read that the film focuses too much on the deaths and crashes that have been present through the history of the race. I disagree; I think they dealt with them well and in a way that really does bring home what this circuit means to all those who race there.

I certainly don't think this is just a film for the boys (being a female motorcyclist myself) and I don't even think you need to have a love of bikes. Right from the start you care about the characters, the race footage and interviews etc keep you on the edge of your seat, with your heart in your mouth throughout the film I hope this film does a lot for for the world of motorcycle racing; both circuits and road racing alike.

A bikers dream, but appealing to all

Author: Andy Raine
23 April 2011

Went to see this last Wednesday with a few friends and the Mrs. We all thoroughly enjoyed the film, and Guy Martin provided plenty of entertainment throughout the film. Gives a brilliant insight into the TT and those who race there, and is done so in a way which doesn't alienate people who are not into bikes or the TT. The film doesn't shy away from the danger of the race and goes a long way in explaining why racers take such a risk, and the passion that many people have for the races.

Will be bought on DVD as soon as it is release, I can only hope that more films like this will be released.

Get it seen

The Best Motor Sport film EVER

Author: steve-robinson01 from United Kingdom
3 May 2011

This is the best film about any kind of motor sport that I have EVER seen. This film creates the atmosphere of the Tourist Trophy Races, delves into the psyche of the riders, teams, marshalls and spectators, and is a no holds barred representation of the excitement, adrenalin, success and celebration, failure and heartache, sadness and tragedy, and most of all courage that is brought out by this event.

The production is superb, and three D also enhances the visual experience. The filming is also artistic and visually stunning, and shows the beauty of the Isle of Man to brilliant effect. The film is absolutely stunning, and I'd recommend viewing to anyone who is at all interested in motor sports in general, bike racing in particular, or getting behind the characters of the sportsmen and women involved.

VERY SRONGLY RECOMMENDED!!!!

Absolutely Brilliant - especially in 3D!

Author: Alex Clark from Nottingham, England
9 May 2011

This is the first review I've written on IMDb and TT3D is definitely a worthy title!

I was unsure what to expect having recently seen I, Superbiker at the cinema which I felt was more like a season review of the BSB than a film.

TT3D however didn't disappoint - it really does capture the spirit and emotion of the Isle of Man TT. The on bike footage is amazing especially when watching it on cinema screen.

We paid the extra and went to see it in 3D which was well worth it, it really adds to the effect of the film.

The best bits for me were on the one liners by Guy Martin and the footage of the TT itself.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the director (Richard De Aragues) brings out next!

Not just for bike fans!

Author: babarpapa from United Kingdom
6 May 2011

This is an outstanding study into the psychology and mindset of sportsmen who push themselves to the limit (sometimes paying the ultimate price) in this legendary race. In much the same way you didn't have to be a tightrope walker to enjoy 'Man on Wire', don't make the mistake of thinking you have to be a motorcycle fan to enjoy this film. The pacing and editing is first rate, and the on board action is heart stoppingly exciting. You have to keep telling yourself that the film is not sped up, and that they really are riding through those narrow streets at up to 200mph. The film is at times hilarious, exciting, tragic and life affirming. An amazing piece of work and highly recommended.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]