A Fairly Odd Movie: Grow Up, Timmy Turner!

I'm sorry, but what just happened?

Author: Brooklyn Sherman
22 July 2011

This has totally ruined the show. No, you do not take a fun, zany cartoon and make it a live-action movie. I actually stopped watching it after the special when Poof was born. It seemed to just get stupid after that.

But then this movie came, and I almost died. I do like Drake Bell, but please, please, PLEASE do NOT throw him in a roll that soiled Timmy Turner. I'm sorry Bell had to play in this train-wreck of a movie.

In a cartoon, this whole movie would've been so much better because the script is written as a cartoon. In live-action, you get really cheesy effects and a VERY cheesy plot. Now, I know it was written for younger kids, but come on!

A twenty-three year old who has never left the fifth grade and never had a kiss or anything? Granted, he was twenty-three and if he tried to date any of them, he would be a pedophile. But still, he's gone through puberty and all that, and he hasn't even TRIED to hit on a girl?

They made it clear in one episode that usually kids' fairy godparents are lost when they hit high school age because, you know, they fall in love and all that junk. Why? Because they are hormone-strung teens. He would've succumbed to the pressures of love. How can a twenty-three year old be friends with kids half his age his whole life?

And Tootie. Oh my goodness, she had such a stupid roll. Giving her scenes where she randomly goes Jackie Chan on everyone? I can handle the environmentalist thing, but being a black belt? Come on. Get real.

So then Timmy falls for his previous stalker. Cosmo and Wanda, who I loved in the show, are just plain idiots in the movie, ESPECIALLY when they become waiters. As fairy godparents, they should LET GO of their child, not keep trying to keep him, especially when the head hauncho told Timmy to loose them.

Then there was Crocker. In the show, it was funny when he would yell "Fairy godparents!" but the effects in this movie were just plain dumb when he did it. His shenanigans were also quite amusing, but this—this was just, well, retarded. Especially when he was able to catch the fairies so easily. This was probably one of his most easiest plans to avoid, but the fairies fell for it right away! So Timmy's falling in love, so their intelligence level drops fifty points?

And the ending—oh my goodness, the wishing machine? So stupid. The ball pit that never ended? The effects made me want to puke. I've seen movies from the forties with better effects.

So, they get the fairies back and then the fairy leader ((can't remember the name, sorry)) lets Timmy keeps his fairies. Wait, what? He can KEEP his fairies? They made it VERY clear that you can NOT keep your fairies after you grow up! You are supposed to forget about them!

Okay, so then I assumed the show was over. But then I saw the commercial after the movie. A whole new week of Fairly Odd-Parents! WHAT? You make a movie about him growing up only to come out with more episodes?

I am very confused.

At least my kid sister liked it.

In conclusion, this movie is a total complete kids movie that seemed to ruin Fairly Odd-Parents.

why, god, WHY?

Author: steph hodgson from United Kingdom
14 March 2012

i have never in my entire life, witnessed such a mess of a movie. i grew up watching fairly odd parents and was kinda excited when it was announced. but the more i knew about it the more unimpressed i became.

and then i actually watched the film. what have they done to such a good franchise. everything was so terrible. the characters didn't fit at all in my opinion. the CGI was horrible. the plot was pathetic.

i've never sat through an entire movie just so angry and sad at it. also some of the jokes were so unessential. for example, the rabbit that laughed in the car? that didn't even make sense, like come on? i think if anyone is truly proud of that film perhaps they should re-evaluate their values and standards because i feel ashamed by just watching that film.

in conclusion, if you want to keep your sanity and childhood happiness alive, stay way WAY away from this terrible movie.

A good example of great cartoons that failed as live-action movies

Author: neenahhh
30 July 2011

The 10-year-old Timmy Turner that we all know and grew up with is now 23! And surprise, surprise, he still has Cosmo, Wanda (and surprisingly!) and Poof, by his side. Timmy is still in 5th grade and spends his free time making fun wishes for himself. Life couldn't be happier. But what happens when Timmy starts falling in love? Could that mean saying goodbye to his fairy godparents?

I grew up watching "The Fairly Odd Parents" and I was fairly excited when I heard a movie was going to be released! However, I was disappointed. I should have expected it, though. When has a cartoon-made-live-action ever worked?

This TV movie was a TV movie. The quality of the plot was very very subpar. Drake Bell was just average (or even below) as he played Timmy Turner. I was really saddened. I wish I could get my 57 minutes back. I also wish they made the movie animated.

An Abomination of Television

Author: bcamarda-1 from United States
15 August 2011

I feel that as a once avid fan of the show and as a living breathing human being that this was the worst thing I've ever had the misfortune of sitting through. Even if the creators had attempted to make this watchable (which they did not), it would not have mattered in the slightest, because the very premise of Grow Up Timmy Turner is wrong. The Fairly Oddparents was NEVER meant to be live action, and anyone who saw The Last Airbender can attest to that.

And this is without even mentioning the dialogue (which is atrocious even by kid TV standards), the characters (whose attributes in no way reflected those of the actual cartoon characters), and the complete miscasting of Drake Bell, Jason (George Costanza) Alexander, and Cheryl Hines.

Even the defense that "it's just for kids" would be invalid because Nickelodeon has created some of television's best shows, shows that to this day I still remember fondly (Rugrats, SpongeBob, Rocket Power, Doug, Hey Arnold, and EVEN Fairly Oddparents!). Every person involved with this production should be ashamed of themselves for not only creating such dreck but for insulting the intelligence of every viewer ages 0 and up!

I feel like I was just slapped in the face.

Author: Navi Hakkari from United States
1 September 2011

I want to know who decided that making this movie would be a good idea.

Like, seriously.

Now, don't get me wrong, I usually love Drake Bell. However, he isn't Timmy Turner. The only person who can pull off Timmy is Tara Strong, who's voice work I missed during this movie. Bell just seemed more confused than anything, while Strong's work just... fits. This was a problem shared by the entire cast, however, so I figure I should just get that out of the way first.

In all honesty, it was as bad as I thought it was going to be as soon as I saw that there was a live action Fairly Odd Parents movie in the works. With a 23-year-old Timmy still in fifth grade. Yes, it gets stupider.

There's a reason why cartoons aren't shot in live action; gags such as Crocker's fairy breakdowns just don't... work. And yet they tried to push it as if it did work, which just took away from the entire movie as a whole. You could see Lewis trying to become Crocker, but it just didn't work. And its not anyone's fault, either. There are just some things you cannot do in live action, especially with a small budget.

The ending was abysmal. A slap in the face.

Throughout the series when Timmy is 'forced' into giving up his fairies (most notably in Channel Chasers, which was spit at and stomped to the ground in this movie), you can see him at first try to avoid this by acting childish and never wanting to grow up, but eventually he does. He grows into a mature person who's willing to put aside his wants for the good of others. Remember that selfless moment near the end of Abra-Catastrophe! when he sets his fairies free in order to save the world? Of course, he gets them back (obviously, this isn't a cartoon with much continuity at all) and reverts back to his normal, selfish self, but at least in the movies there's a sense that he has grown. Again, I bring up Channel Chasers, where he actually ended up giving up his fairies and losing his memory of them. It's a part of growing up that in past movies dealing with the subject - he does.

Well, this movie decided to be 'different', I guess. While it's a happy ending that makes a little bit of sense (Timmy has saved Fairy World a lot), it doesn't fit in with the rest of the series. Channel Chasers is at least believed to be canon (and Timmy getting together with Tootie at the end of Grow Up Timmy Turner! fits in a bit with the Channel Chasers ending (if visual clues are to be looked at, anyway)), but this completely disregards it. All that growing up and character development he does throughout the entire movie is completely pointless, and he gets to keep his fairies anyway.

Cosmo and Wanda are also ridiculously out of character. While Cosmo is still stupid (does anyone else remember the days when he wasn't as stupid as he was just a bit dim and gullible?), Wanda is oddly attached to stopping Timmy from growing up (she's stupid, too, by the way). I can't imagine that either of them would be happy about leaving him, but trying to stop him from having a family and a life beyond elementary school? It's very selfish and unlike either of them. Fairy Godparents are supposed to help children with difficult issues - whether parents that ignore you or evil babysitters - and help them grow up happy.

Also, Vicky is just... weird in this special. I don't know who wrote her that way and why, but they need to be fired. Now.

Blatant disregard for such a beloved series should really not be tolerated by anyone. How this movie is so highly rated is beyond me. The writing is bad, the jokes are bad, the characters that are usually at least semi-tolerable become gratingly annoying, and the story is stupid from beginning to end.

Oh, and Randy Jackson shows up and speaks one line as Poof.

I still have no idea why that was such a big deal, or if it was supposed to be funny.

One out of ten stars.

Not as bad as you might think. Daniella Monet made it worth watching.

Author: Ddey65 from United States
2 December 2012

***RELUCTANT SPOILERS***

Just before the third "Jimmy-Timmy Power Hour" crossover TV-movie, Butch Hartman claimed he was running out of ideas for The Fairly Odd-Parents. Yet it seems that just when he thinks he can get out, either Nickelodeon keeps pulling him back in, or another idea for the cartoon that made him famous forms in his head. Either way, like a lot of other people, I expected this to be Nickelodeon's "Howard the Duck." Jennifer Stone already appeared in two bad remakes in disguise. We can only hope Daniella Monet doesn't start making the same mistakes.

Timmy Turner is now 23 years old, and refuses to grow up and make a life for himself in order to keep his fairy godparents, Cosmo, Wanda, and Poof, all of which are in CGI, and voiced by the same cast who provided their voices since the days when it was a hand-drawn "Oh Yeah, Cartoons" segment. His parents are anxious for him to move out, and his teacher Denzel Crocker is still convinced that the reason he's still in elementary school is because of his fairy godparents. Chester and AJ often appear on the sidelines watching Timmy's antics, and bragging about the benefits of being more than just a legal adult. Vicky now runs a day care center and treats kids with the same lack of TLC she did when she was a teenager. Because Timmy never fell in love, except with the noticeably absent Trixie Tang, he has never been in danger of losing the two and later three who have been saving his butt from the misery of childhood and adolescence since he was ten years old. But suddenly while watching a ceremony for the groundbreaking of a combined hotel/oil well(yeah, that'd bring in customers), along comes this gorgeous brunette who strolls over and tries to stop Hugh J. Magnate(Steven Weber), the man who wants to build it. That brunette turns out to be none other than Tootie, the geeky sister of Vicky who had a mad crush on him when they were little kids. The ugly ducking evolving into a beautiful swan routine has been done to death, but Daniella is such a turn-on as grown up Tootie, you won't care. Besides that she wasn't even ugly playing as the Tootie of Timmy's memories.

Needless to say, he makes wishes to help Tootie to stop them, and now his fairy godparents are scared because he's falling in love with her, and spend much of the movie trying to stop him. He knows this too, but he's not as concerned as they are, until they're about to kiss. Timmy's 23 and he's afraid to kiss this beauty? Hell, if I were 23, I'd not only kiss her, I'd wrap my arms around her, run my fingers through her hair, and do things to her that even Cartoon Network's Adult Swim time-slot wouldn't show! Meanwhile Mr. Crocker sets up a meeting with the tycoon who wanted to build that hotel, and reveals the existence of Timmy's Fairy Godparents. Anyone else would blow him off as the nut case he truly is and send him to the booby hatch, but the tycoon decides to team up with him to stop Timmy and Tootie. I'm going to say this, and I don't care if I get tons of hate mail in my IMDb box; David Lewis made an excellent Denzel Crocker. Daran Norris, who voiced both Cosmo and Timmy's dad was also an excellent choice to play as his dad in live-action.

Despite the fact that it has a scene that puts Tootie in peril, it's not as Wagnerian as made-for-TV movie versions of FOP, most notably "Abra-Catastrophe" and "Channel Chasers." Whatever else you may say about it, you have to give them some credit for staying true to the spirit of the cartoon, right down to the prop department. Live-action Dimmsdale is as loaded with 1950's and 1960's era cars and trucks as the original cartoon was, although it would've been nice to see a live-action version of Mr. & Mrs. Turner's mid-1960's Ford Country Squire station wagon. There's also a scene where Chester and AJ are given some supposedly hot girlfriends(twins, in fact), and turn to the camera and ask if we're jealous. Not of you two. Of Timmy? Definitely!

A fun ending to the series, albeit somewhat flawed

Author: stitch-99 from United States
9 July 2011

As a longtime fan of The Fairly OddParents, I was excited to see the advertisements for this movie which would end the series (though there always seem to be ways around this).

On the whole, the movie was a worthwhile finale and general tribute to the cartoon. I was entertained the whole way through. That being said, however, there were some very specific points that irked me. I have taken the liberty of arranging them into a top-five list for you.

5) A point is made in this movie about Poof's first words. Yet this was (to my recollection) never a running gag in the series. A much more interesting idea would've been to finally reveal Mr. and Mrs. Turner's first names which had been a constant teasing gag for years in the cartoon. Additionally, when Poof does say his first words, he is speaking like a thirty-year-old thug. Does that not feel like a gag that would be more at home in a stupid 90's film?

4) At one point, Cosmo and Wanda pose as normal human adults. However, they are portrayed by entirely different actors. While I am always entertained by Jason Alexander, these portrayals of the couple felt like pale imitations. Furthermore, this is nothing like an earlier time they had done this same thing. In that episode, they simply grew taller and their wands, wings, and floaty-crowny things disappeared.

3) I bought all of the characters as either just the live-action version of their cartoon counterparts or the original character just 13 years later, except Vicky. Cartoon Vicky seemed to pulsate with pure, unadulterated evil. Live-action Vicky seemed more like a generally sweet girl going as the Wicked Witch of the West for Halloween. Additionally (and this is more of a nitpick) but did you ever notice that Vicky's breasts were unnaturally pointy in the cartoon? Well, those get carried over here. Why? None of the other ridiculous physical traits get transferred. Jorgen's chin isn't a foot long, Timmy doesn't have huge buck-teeth, and Crocker has only a slight hunch and his ears are on his head rather than his neck. Why should this of all things make it through?

2) Mr. Crocker is, as always, a delight. However, he is almost entirely overshadowed by new villain Hugh J. Magnate, Jr., a corporate tycoon who wants to build a hotel/oil rig in Dimmsdale. In my opinion, this fails in several ways. For one, Magnate is a very stereotypical villain. Mind you, in watching a live-action cartoon, I'm not expecting The Godfather, but Fairly OddParents would at least have original characters who may or may not have had much depth. Plus, much like Poof talking, this is something that would be more at home in a stupid 90's film. Furthermore, Crocker was way too entertaining, memorable, and interesting character to get the shaft by a guy created for the movie. In fact, nothing in their scheme that Magnate did couldn't have been done by Crocker. Now it could be argued that we've already seen what Crocker does with magic (Jimmy-Timmy Power Hour 1, Abra-Catastrophe) so if he had been in on this by himself we'd just be retreading old territory. That's fair, which brings me to my next point: Crocker was never intended to be Timmy's archenemy; Vicky was. She was the reason he got fairy godparents, so it would've been some very nice irony if she was the one responsible for him losing them. Not to mention the fact that she is, in fact, Tootie's sister, which goes unmentioned.

1) Timmy accepts responsibility, grows up, and gives up his fairy godparents. The series gets the resolution that we all knew was coming and Timmy goes through some very nice character development. All is right...until Jorgen shows up and declares that Timmy is now exempt from losing his fairy godparents. Bullcrap! While it is explained that this is in reward for all the times he saved Fairy World (which makes sense), this was never foreshadowed and Jorgen actually spent the entire movie up until that point trying to ensure that Timmy did grow up and lose Cosmo and Wanda. Plus, this creates some notable problems with the other time we'd seen Timmy's future: Channel Chasers. In the end of that movie, we see Timmy as a thirty-year-old man (a mere seven years after this), married, with two children, and having forgotten all about his fairy godparents (save for some residual memories) who are now assigned to his children. While not necessarily a contradiction, it certainly appears that whoever wrote this installment neglected to research established parts of the show's history. Finally, this raises significant problems for Timmy's development because it undercuts his accepting of the fact that he has to give them up. Mind you, he still does grow as a person, promising to only make unselfish wishes, falling in love, and being a responsible member of society, but this does make me question how much the writers actually cared about such things.

The bad, the sad, and the unfortunate

Author: Steve Pulaski from United States
13 July 2011

When news about a live-action movie of the Nickelodeon cartoon The Fairly Oddparents started circulating last year I knew it was going to be loathsome. Several months later I can now state for a fact that it was. A Fairly Odd Movie: Grow Up Timmy Turner! takes everything that made the television show special and ruins it. The best thing about the show was it wasn't cocky, and knew it was a cartoon. This time, I think it still believes it is a cartoon, when really, it's a messy live-action special.

I can only think of Diary of a Wimpy Kid when I think of this movie. A great line of books ruined by two overly childish and poorly made films. If something is animated, why do you force it into the real world? Cartoons in the real world aren't funny. They're awkwardly made, out of place, and when you see a man-child running around town and still in the fifth grade in the real world, it just isn't funny at all.

Why A Fairly Odd Movie wasn't animated is likely because a "Live-action Fairly Oddparents movie" looks good on advertisements. I can't lie, it presents a great gimmick. But its execution simply doesn't work and will never work. The actors, with the exceptions of Mark Gibbon and Daran Norris, are just fair to mediocre. Daran Norris's role as Timmy's dad was great, because he voices him. They couldn't get Tara Strong to play Timmy because...she's a girl. Mark Gibbon, much to my surprise, didn't voice Jorgen Von Strangle in the show. He sounded a lot like him and looked great in live action.

Those are just minor perks to an appalling special. Right off the bat, the use of CGI on Cosmo, Wanda, and Poof is lame. Even their live action counterparts played by Jason Alexander and Cheryl Hines aren't at all funny. Even the brief shot of a CGI rabbit smiling is about the extent of childish humor this special focuses on.

The story is Timmy Turner (Bell), now twenty-three, (which is already awkward since the show has focused on him being ten for every episode, now I guess he hit an abrupt growth-spurt) still has his fairy godparents and is still in the fifth grade. None of this seems strange though even though it looks nothing but odd in live-action. Now in a cartoon, where this belongs, it would look perfectly normal.

Timmy Turner has been threatened by the head-fairy Jorgen Von Strangle (Gibbon) repeatedly to "grow up" and get rid of his godparents. This can only happen if he falls in love and has his first kiss. Timmy's former classmate Tootie (Monet) returns to town sporting more of a model image and now Timmy is head of heels in what he thinks love, when in reality it's a case of strong lust. Cosmo and Wanda fear that Tootie's return could put an end to their fairy duties with Timmy.

On top of that, Tootie has just stepped off what seems to be the Green Party train and has become a raging environmental activist. An idiot real-estate representative named Hugh J. Magnate, Jr. (Weber) plans to get rid of the Dogwood tree in Dimmsdale's park much to Tootie's dismay. On top of that, Hugh joins forces with Timmy's fair-crazed teacher Denzel Crocker (Lewis) to kidnap Timmy's fairies.

It's chaos at best. Denzel Crocker, who I wasn't very fond of in the show, is horrifying in the film. Not because of his geeky looks, I can accept that. But the stuttering and emphasis on "fairy godparents" doesn't do justice in live-action. Also, the character Hugh J. Magnate Jr. raises a lot of questions. If this guy is about as crazy as can be, how is he a real-estate rep? Oh, and the babysitter Vicky? Let's just say, her live-action treatment is worse than I could've ever imagined.

It seems the idea for a live-action movie like this would've looked better on paper than actually on film. And it seems like they tried to give various characters appearances in the film to either showcase their real-world clones or just give the story a lot of people. However, looking alike isn't the main thing that goes wrong. It's everything. Everyone here, with the exceptions of Drake Bell and Daniella Monet, is overacting and on some sort of indescribable sugar rush.

If this show continues, it will be strange because like The Spongebob Squarepants Movie, if you're going to make severe changes to the cartoon in a movie or a special, keep them throughout the course of the show. The Spongebob Squarepants Movie was planned to be the series finale, but continued anyway. When the show continued, it left so much out from the movie it was like the movie never even existed. If The Fairly Oddparents continues, I doubt it will pick up where the movie left off. I assume Timmy will be ten in the show again, and this movie will be the end of the series they couldn't wait to get out to the public.

I did show a little bit of emotion during the final scenes because I really do enjoy this show. It's a fun and inventive cartoon. Maybe I would've shown a little bit more emotion if the movie stuck to its original roots and not think being live-action is a good way to showcase a cartoon's major turning point. What I'm saying is, if this movie stuck to its original formula, and not have gotten cocky, the movie would've been much more entertaining.

Staring: Drake Bell, Daniella Monet, Jason Alexander, Cheryl Hines, Mark Gibbon, and Daran Norris. Directed by: Savage Steve Holland.

Perhaps this cartoon doesn't lend itself well to live action

Author: Tommy Nelson from Long Beach, California
9 July 2011

So why exactly was this live action? Really for gimmicks sake, but I imagine it was a successful gimmick, and one that peaked many viewers' interests (including myself). So basically what we have is a live action version of a cartoon show that doesn't particularly lend itself to live action, with a plot that zips along at about an hour, with no real time to build up anything that feels cinematic. Basically, this feels like a longer, live action episode of the show (though it would have to take place long after the series), that probably would have been better as a cartoon.

Timmy Turner (Drake Bell) is 23, still in the fifth grade, and still living with his parents so he can keep his fairy godparents Cosmo and Wanda. At a public event to destroy the town park, he sees Tootie (Daniella Monet) who has now become an activist, and he begins to fall in love with her. Cosmo and Wanda can't let this happen, because he will lose them, while meanwhile an oil tycoon Hugh Magnate (Steven Weber) and Timmy's crazy teacher Mr. Crocker (David Lewis) hatch a scheme to steal Timmy's godparents.

The performances are fine, if not a little corny. Drake Bell is really hamming it up with his overly enthusiastic acting job, but for a 23 year old man-child this seems quite tame compared to Pee-Wee Herman or Madtv's Stewart, so it could be way goofier. Daniella Monet plays Tootie and she gives an okay performance, about what you'd expect from Nickelodeon. Mark Gibbon plays Jorgen von Strangle quite well, and sounds a lot like him from the animated show. Daran Norris who plays Cosmo and Mr. Turner on the cartoon show, also played both of them here, and was actually quite funny and sort of deranged looking as Timmy's dad. Everybody is over the top, as this is a live action cartoon, and there's no drama at all, but whatever, it's not really a movie, just a goofy extended finale (?) to the series.

Nothing really stands out as being particularly good here. The plot plods along very quickly, assuming we all know the characters already, as most watching should. The ending is forced, and corny, and kind of bizarre in how fast Timmy and Tootie's relationship has progressed so quickly, but whatever, it had a nice message. Jason Alexander and Cheryl Hines show up for some reason as Cosmo and Wanda when they take the form of human beings to destroy Timmy's date, and there's no reason whatsoever for them, except for some celebrity cameos, and again, they're fine in the roles, but pointless.

Everything here moves along as quick as it possibly can, and while it's pretty entertaining is a very stupid way, it's also not really cinematic, and many of the plot points are retread from other episodes, but it's basically what one would expect when they heard about a made for TV live action Fairly Oddparents movie. Not a lot of laughs, many of the jokes fall flat because these cartoony gags don't really work too well in live action, especially live action filmed as safe and sit-commy as this, but at the same time it's not boring, the colors are bright, and the story moves along thanks to silly (not a bad thing) performances and a short running time. And if you love the ending to Back to the Future parts 1 or 3, and have longed for the Fairly Oddparents to homage it, then your wait is over. Expect goofy entertaining mediocrity, and you will probably enjoy this to some degree.

My rating: ** out of ****. 60 mins. Not rated, contains some "poopy" humor.

Hopeless

Author: Rectangular_businessman from Peru
14 March 2013

"The Fairly OddParents" is a crappy cartoon and it shouldn't ever have a live-action adaptation. For some reason, the producers of this movie thought that it would be amusing to see a twenty-three-year-old man acting as a ten-year-old kid. Personally, I found that to be both creepy and depressing.

Like most of the live-action adaptations of cartoons, this has a very ugly and unappealing visual style, with terrible CGI that doesn't combine well with the real action and actors dressed like cosplayers from a fan-made movie.

The plot seem more like something borrowed from a fanfic, and it doesn't even make sense with the rest of the series (I know that "The Fairly OddParents" never cared that much about stuff like continuity and consistency with its own canon, but the ending of this movie is just ridiculous)

What is the point of making live-action versions of cartoons anyway? Those movies are ugly, annoying and poorly made. If I were a fan of "The Fairly OddParents", what I would like to see is one animated movie from that show, instead of seeing Drake Bell doing a lame cosplay version of that series.

The live-action movie versions of cartoons simply can't imitate their animated counterparts: Terrible films such as "Garfield", "Scooby Doo", "Alvin and the Chimpunks" and this one are enough proof of that.