IMDb > "The Legend of Korra" (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Legend of Korra"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"The Legend of Korra" More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 15: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Great series, If you loved the original, you will adore this!

Author: ross_kewl from Australia
30 June 2012

Being a huge fan of the first Airbender series, I was skeptical about this new series. I was dreading another retell of an avatar travelling the world to master all four elements to free the world from tyranny and destruction...etc. This show is nothing of the sort. The audience is introduced to Korra (Janet Varney), who has actually mastered all the elements except for air. Her personality is totally different to Aangs. Aang was very hesitant about being avatar and didn't really want to take the responsibility but over the (original) series we see him come to realise his destiny. Korra fully realises what she is and has a much more fiery personality. This provides a nice contrast yet sometimes I question her actions but overall she is a well constructed character.

One of the things I loved about the original series, was the tightly bonded group of Aang, Katara, Sokka and later Toph. They were the best of friends and even had disagreements at some times which helped me to relate to their group. In this new series, Korra becomes friends with two pro-benders called Mako (David Faustino) and Bolin (P.J Byrne). They compete in a brutal competition and throughout the series, their performance in the competition heavily relies upon their relationships. The characters of Mako and Bolin, I think, are loosely based upon characters from the first series. Bolin, I can really relate to Sokka and to be honest this is great. I think a TV show of this genre needs a character like that. Mako, kind of resembles Zuko, very serious, bad-ass and overall a cool character, (though not as grumpy as Zuko!!).

As with the original series, the appearance and music is exquisite. The bending fights are just as intense and the voicing is superb.

The first series was about one elemental state, namely the firebenders, taking control over the world under the brutal rule of Firelord Ozai. To my delight, this series deals with an entirely new issue, which is the battle between benders and non-benders. Unlike the first season, where the audience is positioned to barrack for Aang and his friends against the evil Fire Nation, the apparent antagonist Amon (Steve Blum) is not really a clear antagonist because his cause is just. Being born with the ability to bend would of course give you a definite social and economic advantage over non-benders and his intentions are to restore balance. With the original series, I could see where the series was going, Aang is going to travel the world to learn all elements and defeat the Firelord. With this, it's much harder to predict the future and this keeps me intrigued and addicted to watching the show.

My only criticism is out of all the characters to appear in the new series they pick Katara? Don't get me wrong, I thought Katara was a good character, but I would of loved to see a 90-year old Zuko. I also thought the thing in the first episode with Zuko's mother was entertaining, even though frustrating.

Overall a great series and when I saw it had a 9.3 on IMDb top TV series, my reaction was, "its better than the original? No way!" That in itself will be an interesting question to answer because it's far too early to answer that seriously. A definite must-see

Fantastic

Author: evcase1304 from United States
14 May 2012

I loved avatar the last air bender, and some of my favorite memories are of watching it with my cousin during a season one marathon. So, obviously I was extremely excited when I heard of this show coming out. However after I lost touch with the show and I really didn't even watch TV so I never had a chance to see the adds. So today when I heard that the show had been on for several nights I immediately went on to watch the six episodes that had been released. And I have to say I was floored by how great it was. At first I was a little skeptical, the action was good and the music great but the humor wasn't quite there. Yet after it warmed up a bit the show started being really funny and I was laughing my butt off, in between nearly shouting at the awesome action scenes. The mix of the serious fighting and the awesome more loose fighting in the arena battles make a great combo. Finally one of the most impressive things I found was how well the story stands out from the original series but also how it ties back to the original story. I would say the show is a bit more grown up now with some more mature themes that dig into a really awesome and interesting story. The main villain is intimidating but also charismatic as any great villain is and the side characters mixed in also seem complex and pretty well thought out. I would advise any person to check out this show and to watch the original series. I can't wait for the next episodes and to see how the story plays out.

The Avatar is back!

Author: jeffreyhillen-364-945381 from Netherlands
22 December 2014

Legend of Korra : Avatar ; The Legend of Korra is a sequel to the very popular Avatar ; The Legend of Aang series. It is seventy years since Aang and his friends stopped the war. But now the days of Avatar Aang are passed and the Avatar has returned again, a new Avatar who must keep the balance in the world. This time it is a girl named Korra and she is from the Water tribe. She is very hot-headed and rebellious and very reckless at the start of the series. The world has changed very much in seventy years and as Korra can bend now 3 of the 4 elements she is to learn the element what is left; Air. That brings her to Republic City and very soon she discovers that being the Avatar is a lot different than she always expected. Very soon she is faced with the dangers of the world today.

Back in 2005 I wasn't very much aware of Avatar yet , but I knew that at school it was pretty popular and so I decided to watch it. And as the years passed I fell in love with. I felt really connected to the Avatar world, the characters and the story was brilliant. That only became stronger when the years passed. I was really, really sad when it ended in 2008 but somehow I could easily accept it. I admit that I was a little cynical towards the Legend of Korra when it was announced and it took my a few years before watching it. And I didn't immediately had this connection to Legend of Korra compared to what I had with Legend of Aang because I really missed Aang and Zuko and Iroh just everybody.

So Legend of Korra has this quality of the old days are over, which makes it quite sad to watch it. The story is really great- like in the old series there such strong dialog's between the characters, the development of the friendships between the heroes are written beautifully. As an audience you see how strong of a bond team Avatar has. The great thing was also, it was more mature. Korra is older than Aang was in those days and so they have to deal with the problems of love more. There are also more political theme's and this all makes the story different than Legend of Aang. Which is good because it never gets boring. They always bring new things in and you can never expect certain things to happen. And if they keep able to do that, then why should you stop making story's in the Avatar world ? Every Avatar has his own story, his own background and his own problem in life, for an audience this can never get bored. So I hope in a couple of years the makers of this fantastic world will go on with it.

Of course as a fan you can never be satisfied enough. And personally as the big Fire Nation fan I am I was mainly disappointed with seeing not enough of the fire nation. Though on the other hand I liked it that they don't want to interfere with the battles Korra had to face. The explanation of Fire Lady Izumi is fantastic! And I see so much opportunity's to develop the story of Izumi and her son. Another thing is that I think Korra is not a very good Avatar. If you look at it , honestly, she loses so much battles. I don't say She is the worst Avatar because there is none. Every Avatar did great things.

The music is fantastic and the casting is again amazing, if you get names as J.K.Simmons your doing a great job. So looking at these points it is fair to give the following rating to : The Legend of Korra, which is a 7 out of 10. Thanks so much Michael Dimartino and Bryan Konietzko, and hopefully you'll decided to go on within the Avatar Universe. Because the fandom will never lose hope- we will always hope and believe that the Avatar will return.

What can I say about "The Legend of Korra" - I love it!

Author: dee.reid from United States
6 August 2013

Now here is what a sequel to the amazing Nickelodeon animated fantasy series "Avatar: The Last Airbender" should be like. It would be extremely difficult to follow up such an amazing animated series like "Avatar: The Last Airbender" and do so without terrible results, but "The Legend of Korra" succeeds. In fact, it supersedes many of the most cynical expectations of failure and thoroughly holds its own ground against its predecessor.

Following up the success of "Avatar: The Last Airbender" is, in short, no easy task. I guess now is as good a time as any to admit that I absolutely LOVED "Avatar: The Last Airbender"; I became one of its most loyal viewers during its eventful run on Nickelodeon (from 2005-2008) and, like many others, was deeply saddened after its epic series finale. Perhaps the only reason my deep admiration for that show was as great as it was, was because I didn't expect to love it so much. I basically saw some of the DVDs at Barnes & Noble Booksellers one morning and I eagerly bought them up and from then on, I was hooked.

I was in absolute awe by everything I saw in "Avatar: The Last Airbender," right down to its epic, gripping story, compelling characters, light-hearted humor, and many spectacular battle sequences.

Most interestingly, however, was the fact that the series combined the best visual elements of both American and Japanese animation (Anime') perfectly. As a fan of Anime', I once (and still do) even thought of the show as just one of many creative ways to introduce Anime' to American audiences, who for some reason or another have stubbornly rejected it in favor of domestic animated fanfare.

As I stated earlier, trying to follow up such an amazing, pitch-perfect animated series would not be an easy task to accomplish. Hence, that is how we arrived at "The Legend of Korra." This sequel series is produced by the same creative team as "Avatar: The Last Airbender," Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko, and they have decided to go in a slightly different, darker route this time out. The two have thoroughly continued the story of where they left off from the previous series and have crafted a superior follow-up that lives up to its predecessor while continuing the same extraordinary story and offering deeper insight into this fantastic new universe.

As you may, or may not, already know, the worlds of "Avatar: The Last Airbender" and "The Legend of Korra" exist in a Middle-Earth-styled, Asian-influenced fantasy world divided up into four kingdoms where some extremely gifted people, known as "benders," have the unique ability to telekinetically control ("bend") one of the four natural elements - earth, water, air, fire and much later, metal ("bending" is itself based on the movements of several real-life Chinese martial arts systems); we had the Earth Kingdom, the Northern and Southern Water Tribes, the Fire Nation, and the Air Nomads. The "avatar," a Christ-/Buddha-like figure who is cyclically reborn and reincarnated amongst the world's four nations once every generation, can control all four elements and is fated to restore order to the universe during times of great disharmony and distress. "Avatar: The Last Airbender" chronicled young Airbender Aang and his companions' adventures to defeat the imperialistic Fire Nation.

I don't need to tell you that they succeeded.

Set 42 years after the conclusion of "Avatar: The Last Airbender," "The Legend of Korra" immediately separates itself from the first series by instead featuring a female protagonist, Korra (voice of Janet Varney), a 17-year-old girl from the Southern Water Tribe who is also the new avatar. Unlike the fun-loving and spiritual Aang, Korra is more physical (she's reportedly inspired by a series of female MMA fighters - like Gina Carano and Ronda Rousey, for example - and Bryan Konietzko's sisters), and she is also rebellious, impulsive, and hot-headed; but she is also vulnerable, which makes her seem more like a real person and gives her character some much-needed emotional dimensions to make her stand out more. She has learned to master water-bending (her native element), earth-bending and fire-bending, but has had difficulty in mastering air-bending, which is her most opposite element, we're told, by Master Tenzin (J.K. Simmons). She has mastered nearly all of her physical abilities, but has failed to grasp the spiritual side of things, which frustrates Master Tenzin dearly.

She soon enough sets off on her journey to Republic City (which combines Chinese and Japanese elements to look like an Asian version of Manhattan in the 1930s or 1940s), the capital of the United Republic of Nations, where she soon teams up with a pair of pro-bending brothers - "dark & brooding" Mako (David Faustino) and light-hearted & humorous Bolin (P.J. Byrne) - to take on Amon (Steve Blum), a megalo-maniacal anti-bending terrorist who can permanently remove people's bending abilities and who is also the leader of Republic City's so-called "Equalist" movement.

Be prepared to be blown away by this second, epic animated fantasy adventure!

P.S.: Don't forget to buy up the epic soundtrack by series composer Jerry Zuckerman, too!

Best show I have ever seen

Author: dogmon2
4 June 2013

This show is not just some stupid kids show like the last avatar series It has love,drama, and violence. I was actually surprised with The violence in this there is a Ton of action but the show is very Well done and there is love and drama lots. Also the deeper into the series The more drama and action happens and you'll love it even more You will truly fall in love with it and probably not for kids 12 or 13 and up I was surprised how awesome this was considering The last series which was very retarded, I can't even wait for the next Season I've been counting down the days till the premiere I highly recommend this show and a guarantee you will love it Even it may start out slow but trust me it inclines quickly

One of my favorite shows!

Author: gabriellat22
3 March 2013

I honestly LOVE this show and (almost) everything about it! I really love the animation; of course, I expect nothing less than the anime-like animation. I also love the characters. Korra is a very determined and bold person, and quite likable in my opinion. Bolin is like the Sokka in 'The Legend of Korra', meaning that he is humorous and quite likable. We also have Mako, Bolin's brother, who seems to be distant at first but is later shown to be a caring and loyal person. There's more characters, but I'll let you meet them on your own. Now for our villain, Amon. This guy is SO awesome and has that intimidating aura to him, but there's just one, BIG flaw about him (which is mentioned in the next paragraph). Now onto the flaws of this great show.

Okay, wait a second. I'd also like to add that this show has romance, and that I'm a sucker for that fluffiness. Now here's the flaw: the romance is imperfect and rushed. Now, if you're wondering which characters I'm talking about, it's Korra and Mako. Why is it flawed? Well, when Korra became jealous of the relationship between Mako and ______, I went "Whoa! Where did this come from?!" Of course, being me, I went along with the ride, hoping that it'd flesh out. But, alas, it didn't. Soon enough, they end up kissing, and I was (semi)disappointed. (I like the couple, that's why.) Another thing I kind of disliked was how Mako became a bit of a jerk to ______ (the other girl Korra is jealous of). Thankfully they forgive each other in the end. Now here's the flaw with the villain: the ending. In the end (I hope you saw the spoiler alert!) Amon dies in an un-badass way. I was kind of hoping for a big showdown between Korra and Amon like in the season finale in Avatar: The Last Airbender between Aang and the Fire Lord.

Now, I know that 'The Legend of Korra' was supposed to be a mini-series, but I expected more from the creators of The Last Airbender. All-in-all, I really enjoyed this show and I look forward to season 2, 3, 4, and whatever Nickelodeon has in store for us.

Best Animation Ever

Author: Alake Kuga from Madrid, Spain
28 January 2015

I'm 29 years old. I don't like 2D animation, in general.

I only knew about "Avatar, the last airbender" because I found it a nuisance every time I was looking something in the web about "Avatar", the blue aliens movie. I thought "Avatar, the last airbender" would be an American copy of "Naruto". I have watched some anime and read very few manga. And I was fed up of the typical storyline (Naruto, Bleach) about an annoying, rude boy who for some reason has an incredible power.

But I'm not here to talk about "Avatar, the last airbender". Although I ended up watching it after getting my world rocked watching "The Legend of Korra". Which I only did because I had a long post-surgery recovery time with need of brain numbness for the pain and forget it enough for sleeping.

But to sum it up, I would like this series to be compulsory subject at schools everywhere.

It teaches amazing values. It gives you strength and hope while you are down. I started watching it from the first chapter of the last season (to see if the characters already developed were worth it). And, man, did that situation resonate within myself at the time few weeks ago. But after watching all chapters from every other season... it opened a whole new level of awesomeness.

They don't treat ladies as objects (overdeveloped, like some Japanese anime), the uniforms are not reveling and they are as "damsels in distress" as any other male character. Everybody have got their backs. And sometimes the most unusual and unexpected character saves the day.

It also has got me longing to learn some kind of tai-chi or similar technique. It shows healthy lifestyles and that nothing is got without patience, practice, constance and determination. And hell, that learning and overcoming trials are mostly pain and tears too, not only party.

The show is all about balance and peace. And the whole time I was in pain in bed, no other series soothed me like this one. It had to be with the marvelous soundtrack too. It has fights, it has action, but everything is so elegant that doesn't rile you up. The nerves in my back appreciated it.

I would like to thank the team, because it really helped me. It taught me things at an age I thought I had those basics learned. It even made me improve my relationship with my parents. Because, wow, the way they use "the elders" characters, not only the typical wise master, but the average fourtysomething mother...

I could spend pages writing good things about this series. Like everybody else, I'd say the animation is a masterpiece, the drawings, landscapes, research preproduction work behind... And I also admit that, as everything, from my tastes and point of view it has its faults too. Or things that could have been done differently and I would have like them more. But they are so little and subjective that I don't find them worth the attention.

I love this show!!

Author: Andrea Kazandjis from United States
26 August 2014

I love everything about Legend Of Korra. To name a few.. 1) the throwbacks we get to see that we didn't in The Last Airbender. As different as the show is from the Last Airbender it's still connected. 2) The humor. the humor is just topnotch. One of my favorite characters in the Last Airbender was Sokka and I was so sad when I realized he wasn't going to be in Korra.. but then I got introduced to Bolin which is probably 10x funnier. 3) Development. These characters are all so developed and they keep developing! I've been reading some of the comments from viewers that say they're developing the wrong characters. Honestly I have no idea what the heck they're talking about!! You should be happy that you're getting a closer view into the characters life! I love when they give you more information. 4)Masterpiece. I think the creators of this series are just geniuses. Claps to you. This plot is ridiculous. In the best way possible! The twists are turns are how creative they are. I've never come across work like this. You can literally never get bored. Every moment is beautiful.

I wish I could just share EVERYTHING I think about this show. I'm just in love with it and I hope it can go on forever. Generation to generation. I would love to see what else they could bring to the table.

Can't wait for Book Four!!!!!

Its simply the best

Author: Aland Faisal from United States
3 August 2014

I think the legend of korra is one of the best animations of all time ,and i really hope they would make more episodes and keep it up , and im really sad that Nickelodeon is treating one of the best shows like this way, and im really cheering for this series ,i really love it Michael dante and Bryan keep it up men And all the people in studio mir and all the voices of characters U guys really did put together something special I love u guys and i hope it goes to episode 1000 I will be watching it till the end and really hope this series gets A lot of great reviews and god bless u all who worked at this series Peace!!😄 And before i go its a million times better than avatar the last air bender

More than entertainment

Author: Saravana Kumar D from India
21 August 2012

I am a freaky fan of Avatar:The Last Air Bender series not only for entertainment but also for its philosophical touch on morality. I thought like, the characters of "Sokka", "Zuko" are resembling me when i crack dry jokes and striving to lead and also when i confuse myself about my destiny.

But when i started watching "The Legend of Korra" initially i felt like i miss something in it. Later on i started to notice traces of world politics and a bit of sociological concepts twinkling in the serial. One obvious observation is ********************************see the serial to know what*******************************************, i had a glimpse of World War scenes.

So, in my view "Avatar:The Last Air Bender" is more about understanding the conflicts within self. And "The Legend of Korra" is about understanding the conflicts of the society.

In the next season of "The Legend of Korra", i am expecting all the dimensions (Humor, Adventure and Ethics) from the creators.