IMDb > "The Legend of Korra" (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Legend of Korra"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Legend of Korra" More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 14: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

I cant stop watching it!

Author: Alex Romo from United States
8 January 2015

I was a huge fan of the avatar last air bender, and when I found out it was over I was so upset. I would binge watch it. Seeing it end was sad but when I found out about this show I thought it would never amount. I'm almost 18 and I can't get enough it says for years 7 and up but this is way mature for kids. It's got romance, action, friendship, dictators and more! It's everything you want in a show! I give it a 10/10. The way they portray the characters is amazing and they go in depth on the villains back story to make you understand why they are the way they are. Bottom line it's so good watch it you won't be able to stop!

Book 2 Will be amazing

Author: lyndon338 from United States
10 September 2013

I absolutely love this show after the shocking end of book one with Amon and his posy I'm excited for book 2 spirits. Since we will get to learn more about the first Avatar and even meet the very first one. With the war that will be going on with the southern Water Tribe and the Evil Dark spirits and to see where the characters are after such a long wait. then there will be the Return of the Voice actress of Princess Azula from ATLA ....and ill finally get to seen Ang and Kataras children in Action. In the Trailers or clips you see korra going into the Avatar state a lot and Im worried that she might be relying on it too much. Im also wondering if Amon dint really die or if he might return in a later season plus all the new places the Gang will be traveling to and returning to like the Library with the Great Owl from the dessert in ATLA, If they plan on bringing any flask backs into the lives of other Avatars Like Kyoshi or Yangchen. I dint really see much of her in ATLA but the trailer for book 2 shows glimpses of Korra in the spiritual state talking to Roku and Kyoshi plus Ginora going into the spirit world,

Perfect Sequel.

Author: KorraTheDarkSpirit from United Kingdom
28 June 2013

Avatar: The Last Airbender is my favourite TV Series of all time, So there was a great pressure on The Legend of Korra that it might not live up to expectations. But after seeing Book 1: Air, I think we can all put those worries to rest.

Hands down, the greatest show on Television right now and a great continuation of Avatar: The Last Airbender. Everything from the music, animation, setting, plot, Characters and Voice Actors, it is Perfect on all fonts in my opinion.

Amon is one of the greatest villains of all time and the Season Finale features one of the most thought-provoking scenes I have ever seen on TV, let alone a Kids Program! Korra rocks and I can't wait for Books 2,3 and 4!

After 2 seasons still seems to be finding its stride

Author: Freak Idiot from Finland
7 December 2013

The Legend Of Korra is a good follow-up to Avatar: The Last Airbender despite its far more numerous flaws. Gladly great animation, interesting expansion of the world and a clear sense of identity keep it from sliding into mediocrity.

The most notable thing about Korra is its nearly feature film-level animation. This show rivals the best anime series out there in terms of animation, and no expense has been spared. The martial-arts styled bending is even more energetic and dynamic and sometimes you can just wonder at the choreography and smoothness of the animation.

Another point in Korra's favor is that it dares to separate itself clearly from its predecessor. The feeling and atmosphere resemble more that of a 1920's urban story than the high-fantasy affectations of The Last Airbender. Much darker and more complex themes like civil unrest, segregation, revolution and betrayal are introduced and reinforce the show's more grown up feel. The series also never feels like a rehash or retread of TLA, but rather develops its own stories without cheap gimmicks or tricks

The characters are mostly good, with some sour apples thrown in the middle. In the second season the writing can seem downright poor at times in making some baffling characterization decisions. Gladly those are mostly balanced out by some greatly entertaining additions like Varrick, who has cemented himself as a clear fan favorite. Korra herself strengthens the show's sense of being its own thing while also being a hair-pullingly irritating character at times. Unlike Aang, who was calm, contemplative and pacifist, Korra is hot-headed, eager and active, and this doesn't always work in her favor.

By far the biggest issues in the series are the writing and pacing. With so many different writers it can sometimes feel as if the show is trying to go into two opposite directions at once, with some episodes being great and some being downright terrible. Characterization hasn't so far been entirely consistent with some characters doing some absolutely idiotic decisions during the second season. The pacing ranges from airtight to completely meandering, which makes the show feel inconsistent. The result is a show which when works, works excellently, but when it doesn't, you can clearly see why.

Korra feels like a show that has yet to find its greatest strengths. It has a very solid foundation and moments of absolute brilliance, but has yet to grasp them in full. With the third season, "Change", waiting yet to be released, I'm curious to see where this show is going next.

Recommendation: If you're an Avatar fan and on the fence about watching this, do it. The ride is still very thrilling, despite the occasional bumps.

The line of the Avatar continues!

Author: GreenStormseeker
27 April 2012

As I read, that there would be another Avatar series with a new Avatar, I couldn't believe it. I wasn't quite sure, if I liked the idea of every character I loved being dead or so old, that it would be strange watching the series.

Back then I couldn't have known, how wrong I was. Korra is just plain awesome. She is so stubborn and full of sympathetically characteristics, that i liked her right from the beginning. I found myself laughing through the whole first episode.

But when the brothers Bolin and Mako first appeared, I knew, this series would be as enjoyable as Aang and his Gaang. With funny dialogues, Korras and Bolins goofiness and Makos Mai-like comments the Legend of Korra got me hooked. Genius.

The one bad thing about this series is the fact, that only one episode of 20 minutes is shown in one week. -> People, who easily get caught up with movies and series, can get quite impatient in this one week of waiting (refering to me :D )

The hype is undeserved

Author: Scortia
2 July 2012

This series started with a lot of potential. Do not assume this negative review comes from someone who can't "cope" with how different this series is from its predecessor. I was prepared for a different world and new themes. But, unfortunately, this series fell way short (at least at this point where season 1 has finished).

We are left with characters who do little to grow, a plot which ends up confused and hanging more than reaching a true climax and resolution, and some of the most tacked-on romance I have ever witnessed. The storywriting was just so weak and each episode did little to remedy it. Would you like a better understanding of how Korra has difficulty with spirituality and air bending? Would you like to really see why? Sorry, we'll dedicate a few episodes to professional bending which will do little to expand on the overall story or its characters at all. I won't present spoilers, but it's clear how much time is wasted on a very obvious and lazy romantic pairing early on. At first I thought Bryke were just messing with the fans who are obsessed with "shipping", but no, it was serious. The question is, how do these kids even have a chance to fall deeply in love with each other so quickly when there's so little going on with their personalities to make them have a true "presence"? Amon, as a villain, seemed a redeeming area. The conflict of benders and nonbenders. And yet, the depth that could have gone into the issue was absent. Hell, everyone's parent(s) died because of some random firebender. Yeah, OK. That's a bit of a cop out if I've ever seen one.

By the end, the serious questions that should be gripping the main characters are there but they seem so much shallower than they should be. Not to create spoilers by being specific, but it's as though the ending stayed in that kiddy pool while trying to pretend it deserved to become an Olympic swimmer.

I'm not a young, insane fan. I like a good storyline and I can recognize one. It's not even a matter of opinion, this story with so much potential just fell short. I'd blame it on the shorter 12 episode length versus the 20 of season one of TLA, but Book 1 of TLA would have been a stronger story with bolder characters even if you removed the eight most filler-like episodes within it. I just don't know where the magic died... perhaps because Aaron Ehasz wasn't writing? Seems like he had a lot of the best ideas for the first series.

I hope it finds its footing in season two, but for now I'm a pretty disappointed viewer.

A "Very Good" Followup to the Original Series

Author: Jar_Jar_Abrams from United States
21 October 2015

It may be almost consensus that this isn't as good as the first series, "Avatar: The Last Airbender", but I found it to be a very worthy successor. The stories and themes are diverse and interesting. The villains' motivations range from relatively understandable to sympathetic; from themes of radical populists, to spiritual dogma, to anarchy, to militant authoritarianism.

The biggest highlight of the series, in my opinion, is the two-part "Beginnings" episodes in the middle of what actually might be the weakest season overall: season 2. This focuses on the first Avatar, Avatar Wan.

"The Legend of Korra" is a lovely treat and a breath of fresh air in an era of especially stupid children's programming. The humor is there, the universe is vast and fascinating, and the animation is top-notch. Everything on the surface suggests a series that should be on-par with the original.

But what makes the original series superior?

The main issue may stem from the number of episodes in each season, ranging from 12 to 14. This is considerably less than the around 20 episodes in each season of the original. With at least as many characters, there just isn't the time to fully develop everyone. People will complain about supposed "filler" episodes in other series, but in all actuality those are some of the best opportunities for characterization. This series has essentially no "filler" and the pace of the story and the characters suffer from it.

Another thing that detracted from the quality of the series was, as mentioned before, the themes and enemies are completely different in each season. The seasons are more standalone "mini-series" than seasons of a continuing story or "legend". Although interesting and enjoyable in and of themselves, there is a lack of a major opposition over the course of the entire series. The original series had the Fire Lord, while "Legend of Korra" has a new "greatest enemy" at the end of every season.

Although the ending may be a little pandering and contrived for my taste, I wasn't disappointed. It's a shame Nickelodeon relegated the 4th and final season to online-only. Despite its faults, "Korra" was a better animated series than 99% of what is on television today.

A Very under appreciated show

Author: cjkangalis14
10 January 2016

Let's start off by saying that for anyone who thinks this is a kids show, they are greatly misinformed. "The Legend of Korra" is supposed to be the sequel to "The Last Airbender" so naturally people compare the two when in reality the two shows can't be more different. Apart from the fact they're set in the same universe it's like comparing Apples & Oranges.

Enough of that now, let's start off by talking about the characters. Each of the main characters in the Legend of Korra are well fleshed out and all have a reason for being there, there's no character that gets undermined throughout the whole show because each character gets a story arc at one point or another. The strongest character is the protagonist Avatar Korra. Throughout the show's 4 seasons, we see her at her strongest and weakest which really grounds the character and makes her relatable even though the Avatar is supposed to be the all powerful bending master that knows everything. Her character is constantly dealing with both physical and psychological conflict throughout the show which really makes the character interesting.

Now to talk about the story. Each season or book (as they're known by) deals with a different conflict. The first book deals with a villain named Amon who believes in equality for everyone since nobody's equal because some people are able to bend elements while others can't. Book two deals with Unalaq who wants to install piece and balance in the world by creating a new world order and becoming a dark Avatar. Book 3 deals with a group called the Red Lotus who believe that true freedom can be accomplished by eliminating the worlds monarchs and dictators. Book 4 deals with an earth bending dictator who believes that uniting the earth kingdom under one iron fist is the way to achieve total security and safety for its citizens. As you can see, each of the books deal with complex ideologies and reflect real world issues. This is exactly what makes the show so great, the fact that it's packed with such mature themes.

Between the well written characters and complex story, this is why The Legend of Korra deserves every bit of respect and more. The Legend of Korra is without a doubt one of the best animated TV shows ever developed, I can't recommend it enough!

Unfortunate Way to End a Great Series

Author: Reviewer746
9 January 2016

Legend of Korra is a great case study of the divide between true fans and what we would call "fanboys". By fanboy, I'm referring to someone who harbors an irrational, biased, and overly positive opinion of some content typically because of their nostalgia for prequels or related content. Fanboyism is distinct from the true fan base. The true fan cares more deeply for the quality of the content. The true fan is disappointed with a marked drop in quality, poor writing and over-the-top gimmicks. Rather than blindly worshiping anything the content creators put out, the true fan criticizes bad decisions out of love for something they see in decline.

True fans of the Avatar series are disappointed by LoK for a number of reasons. But first, let's start with some of the positives.

The first season is very engaging and mature and presents an interesting antagonist. Although the continued absence of guns in a world with biplanes, destroyers, mech suits, and a militant organization seeking to equalize benders and non-benders is somewhat annoying (but allowable for the sole purpose of rating), the new technologies of the Avatar world are intriguing and implemented well. The characters are pretty well written and the plot progresses at an appropriate pace. The action is great and it's clear that the studio spent a lot of effort improving the visual quality of the bending battles.

But the negatives start rolling in long before the first season is concluded. Through all four seasons, LoK never achieves the same depth of character that ATLA did in Book One. The characters become less important and increasingly fill token rolls in the plot as the series goes on. The first season ends completely failing to resolve the tension between benders and non-benders by having Amon revealed to be a bender in disguise. The second season's plot is contrived and pointless with a deluge of annoying Disney-inspired spirits inundating the mortal world for no apparent reason. Why this seemed like a good direction to take the plot, I will never know. But it does give the writers an excuse to have a giant, Godzilla-style spirit battle out in the bay which is too over-the-top for anyone over six years old. The Godzilla-battle returns in the fourth season with a giant mecha suit. I just don't understand the reasoning here. Giant mecha suits are plot devices used for selling toys to little kids. And it doesn't seem like that was even their intention. I just don't understand.

The avatar's origin story presented in the second season is insultingly weak not to mention somewhat contradictory to the rest of the series.

Of course original content is good. True fans of the series aren't asking for a remake of ATLA. Nor are we asking that LoK have been somehow better than the original series. We just wanted a little bit more effort devoted to the plot. It seems like the writers were simply running out of ideas by the end of the first season and that's why you get giant monster battles and contrived love triangles made for shippers.

LoK had such huge potential. But at times, it seems like the writers are just using the new setting to add gimmicky entries to the Avatar wiki and appease the shipper fanboys. It is very unfortunate, but Nickelodeon made the right choice by moving the show to online-only and then finally canceling it. They really did put it out of its misery. While the Avatar universe continues to grow in the world of comics, this series was not a good way for the animated universe to end.

Amazing Series

Author: Cassandra Saturn from United States
18 November 2015

the series was amazing, i have been watching it since 2012, the finale was pretty great.

i rate this 10 out of 10. it sure kept me busy and watch till the end.

i must have to admit, this is only biggest favorite of the Avatar series. i do wish here was more to the great series. here would have been fifth season and more. but that might not happen entirely.

props to the Cast and Team for amazing installment of this legendary Avatar series.

that's all i can think of or to say about this series.

Korra vs Amon Korra vs Vaatu Korra vs Zaheer Korra vs Kurvia