IMDb > "The Legend of Korra" (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Legend of Korra"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"The Legend of Korra" More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 15: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Almost Perfect

Author: Common Sense
16 November 2013

Just finished watching the season finale and I will not give anything away but I thought the ending was great.

I wish I could have given the show a 9.5 out of 10 as that is what I think the most fair rating would have been.

For those who have never watched the show the first season in my opinion seemed disappointing as character development seemed too rushed and I found myself strongly dislike Korra. I found myself coming to love all the characters in the beginning of the second season, besides Korra (who I did finally come to like towards the end). There seemed to be a lot more good humor in the second season as well.

For fans of the original Avatar this show is a must. What amazed me the most is how the show managed to keep all of its good aspects and tied things well to the original all while having fresh characters and perspectives. In addition and respect to that pretty much all of the character's personalities in the last show were incorporated into the personalities in the new show all while being different in their own respect.

In addition, there were two things that I thought were better than original avatar. The first was that the characters were older and therefore more adult themes could be incorporated into the show (while still being perfectly safe for children). The second was that this show seemed to genuinely surprise me with plot developments more than the original which is something I really enjoy.

The one Achilles heel of the show was its length. Things seemed rushed many times during the show. Some people may like this due to the faster pace of the show but I think it hinders plot and character development.

So in conclusion, this and the original were the best cartoon TV shows I have ever watched hands done. I definitely recommend watching them.

If anyone has actually read the review since I wrote it last night I made the mistake of saying it was the show finale instead of the season finale as there were originally supposed to be two seasons, but now there are maybe four. My apologies but I do still think things felt rushed at times.

Book 2 Will be amazing

Author: lyndon338 from United States
10 September 2013

I absolutely love this show after the shocking end of book one with Amon and his posy I'm excited for book 2 spirits. Since we will get to learn more about the first Avatar and even meet the very first one. With the war that will be going on with the southern Water Tribe and the Evil Dark spirits and to see where the characters are after such a long wait. then there will be the Return of the Voice actress of Princess Azula from ATLA ....and ill finally get to seen Ang and Kataras children in Action. In the Trailers or clips you see korra going into the Avatar state a lot and Im worried that she might be relying on it too much. Im also wondering if Amon dint really die or if he might return in a later season plus all the new places the Gang will be traveling to and returning to like the Library with the Great Owl from the dessert in ATLA, If they plan on bringing any flask backs into the lives of other Avatars Like Kyoshi or Yangchen. I dint really see much of her in ATLA but the trailer for book 2 shows glimpses of Korra in the spiritual state talking to Roku and Kyoshi plus Ginora going into the spirit world,

A must see to fans of Airbender, a great show to newcomers.

Author: lemonpsp from Peachtree city
8 June 2013

This is going of the first season alone, as the the other three seasons have not been released. This show is a must see for people who fell in love with Airbender. While at times, the first few episodes in particular, feeling like it they gloss over and rush certain scene of exposition, this short coming is remedied by the halfway marker of the show. The story line has griping drama and the villain, while not being as relatable as Zuko from the original show, is a definite threat to Korra and her friends. The relationships between the characters are just as excellently written together as they were in the original. The art-style is just as good if not better than Airbender, and by the end you will really be rooting for Korra and praying she can find a way to defeat Amon. Like said before this how is just as breath taking as the original show and definantally worth watching to fans and newcomers to the series.

Better than most current movies

Author: johnmichinock from United States
31 March 2013

This Legend of Korra is one of the shows that is superior than most most current movies. It pulls you in and straps you on a roller coaster ride. This show has great characters and an amazing story. Korra is a really likable main protagonist. You really feel her struggles, inner demons and pressure put on her that she must overcome. She is very identifiable and can connect to the audience members extremely well. The supporting characters all are great and interesting, and you come to care about them very much that you want them to come out on top. Each character has their own battles they go through that is filled with depth and heart, making you want to see what is the resolution. Amon is a truly amazing villain. He's very intimidating and grabs your attention when he comes on screen, even if it's just his voice over the radio. You understand why he is doing his bad deeds, he's not just a villain who's doing bad things to seem bad, you begin to see where he's coming from, and how he's right to some extent. The pacing is outstanding, the show takes its time to build it's story and characters, rather than just show some badass fight scenes (which they are by the way). The story isn't just a sequel to Avatar: The Last Airbender with a new character, it takes a different approach and style, but with the same incredible talent behind it. The Legend of Korra is a fantastic show, though not as incredible as Avatar: The Last Airbender, it's still up there in quality in something that many movies now can't accomplish. The Legend of Korra is one of the best TV shows I've ever seen in my life, earning a 10/10.

Great anime series

Author: tomprosser2000 from United Kingdom
10 February 2015

At first I was a bit unsure during the first couple of episodes I watched after being such a fan of "The Last Air Bender". It didn't seem to have the same spark as TLAB had, but as I carried on watching more episodes it ended up making its own spark. It doesn't have as much of the comical aspect as TLAB but is darker and a bit more aggressive. Don't worry though there are still the characters that will make you chuckle. As with all good anime series there is a character which people can relate too and see them develop and grow through out the series. This is a great series for anime fans of all ages. I know I enjoyed it hope you will to.

A Futuristic Avatar Setting

Author: thescribe7 from United States
19 January 2015

Well technically not really futuristic but more modern and similar to our world. Its evolved and we learn more about Spirit World through the show.

This show doesn't follow one villain as the Last Airbender series did and instead focuses on a new one each season but the themes remain the same. The themes they pose in this show are very intriguing and a little political so I almost feel that this show is for people that grew up with Avatar rather than for a new audience.

Twists to the knowledge of what we knew about the Avatar cycles are unraveled and made more compelling. I was afraid they were going to try to rehash the old characters or story lines but they honestly don't. Bolin and Sokka are opposites. Sokka was a genius but always failed with his humor, now Bolin is a funny guy but sucks as a man in action.

Watch it with an open mind you might be pleased. The humor is true to the first show, the characters are full of color, the story lines are intriguing, and its fun.

All the writers and creators are pure genius

Author: Moviefan 0204 from United States
3 October 2014

Everything they have done with those show is just amazing from the villains to the heroes and the story lines are always amazing. I just got done watching the first showing for book four and it was crazy good it leaves you hanging but in a good way. Even the way they incorporated new kind of bending was amazing I cant stress enough how good this show is and I hate to see is end. Usually shows that have spin offs don't do this well and have really bad story lines and do nothing but make fans mad. This show has done nothing but please fans from what I've seen and heard. Please keep this show going until you just cant anymore I can honestly say that I like this show more then the original and I don't say that often usually I appreciate originals a lot more. If anybody was a last air bender fan there is no way they aren't a Korra fan I would love to see a movie made the right way with the last air bender and Korra. I could go on but all I can say is if your not a fan become one its well worth it.

Amazing, series; i want to see more.

Author: r-grant-jr-122193 from United States
5 September 2014

I was skeptical of these series being able to be as good as Avatar the last air bender, but it definitely was. The legend of Korra was phenomenal. I just cant wait for season 4!

Will she ever get her connection from her past lives back? Will she ever recover from her injuries? What will happen with the air benders defending peace? What will happen with the earth nation? What will happen with the water tribes? (yes they decided that the North and South will be separated but how will that go?) What achievements will Jinora have as a young master of air bending? Will Zooko ever reconnect with his uncle again?

There's soo many more questions.. i can't wait for more!

Still ambivalent towards Korra

Author: blutraine from United States
13 September 2013

I have tried to like Korra but I am still very ambivalent towards her and the series in general.

The fact I have at times begrudgingly watched it is disconcerting because without hesitation I will watch the original. I will admit that as The Legend of Korra dragged on toward its book one conclusion the narrative got much better (the ending was awesome). In fact I would say if not for the plot, I would not still be giving this series a chance.

But plot is only one aspect of an entire narrative is it not?

The characters are thinly-veiled attempts at being unique but this veil is easily lifted once you take a closer look into each character. I understand the necessity to create different characters but they still have to be compelling. What makes the original so amazing are the characters; their development, their backgrounds, and ultimately their connections with each other and the overall narrative. Even minor characters such as the Earth King, Jet's crew, Hama (the blood-bending 'Puppet Master') and even the Cabbage Man all were intricate characters that were compelling and led credence and depth to the narrative.

I do not find myself interested or invested in any of the characters in the Legend of Korra.

Obviously Korra is not Aang but creating a character who is the complete opposite of him is just not appealing. I am not alone in this assessment. When her character first appeared she was arrogant, brash, rude, hot-headed, stubborn, and just plain unlikable. She had no regard or respect for authority and quite frankly made it to the end of book one despite herself. I thought though might have been the point...that a person can grow despite constantly getting in her own way. But NO...she has not changed at all other than being able to go into the Avatar State. She still has this unfettered contempt for authority and is quick to blame everyone else for her shortcomings except herself. Maybe the writers are creating another twist but it was clear that her uncle is the antagonist of book two and Korra's blind willingness to believe everything he says is just another sign she has not grown as an individual at all.

Her entourage is even less appealing than she is. "Team Avatar" was amazing. Each character was compelling and all the surrounding characters were equally compelling. Zuko's character was perhaps the most compelling character I have seen in an anime. But does anyone truly find anything intriguing about Korra's team? Mako and Bolin are boring. Their back story, while trying to be sad, is uninteresting. Bolin apparently is supposed to be the Sokka-esque comic relief character but he just wounds up looking like a bumbling idiot. Assami is intriguing to a point but I still do not find myself caring about her. The list goes on.

I fully admit I am biased. I consider Avatar: The Last Airbender to be one of if not the greatest animated series of all time (and I have seen way too many to count) and maybe my expectations are unrealistic. I truly want to like Korra but the writers are making it really hard (what happened to Aaron Ehasz by the way?).

Maybe my ambivalence toward Korra can be explained in the juxtaposition between characters and plot.

There is no doubt that the characters drove the narrative in the original. We learned to love (or loathe) each one of them as the series progressed and the narrative needed each character to be successful. The Legend of Korra, HOWEVER, is plot driven. The characters seemingly exist only to implement the narrative. Korra is in every episode because she has to be as it is her show, but would we really miss her if she was not in an episode? I am not so sure. Actually one of my favorite aspects of the book two premiere was the subplot that seems to be developing with Tenzin's daughter (sorry I do not know her name).

Ultimately what is my take on The Legend of Korra?

Is it a good show? YES...it is a good animated series. Better than a majority of new series currently airing. The animation is drawn beautifully and in HD it is quite amazing. The story is compelling in spite of the characters within it.

Is it a great show? NO...without characters that are compelling and to actually care about I am not interested in this show like those I would call 'great'.

Is it worth watching? ABSOLUTELY...as stated above it is better than most new shows airing (I continually say new because if Nickelodeon aired reruns of the original at the same time I would watch those instead. Ooh...this would be quite interesting to see what would happen. Who would win in a head-to-head battle of airing? Ultimately I do not think Nickelodeon would take the chance to find this out but I would be very interested in learning the outcome of how many viewers would watch each show airing at the same time)

I did give this show a 7/10 which is an increase from the initial 6/10 I gave the show last season. Perhaps I will increase it again...only time will tell.

The Greatest Animated/TV Series of all time - The Avatar Saga!

Author: cranebeatsbane
15 September 2013

Avatar: The Last Airbender/The Legend of Korra is a TV Series that revolutionized the Animation medium, expanded the possibilities of what could be done on children's television and raised the bar to the highest degree possible.

The writing, designs, music and animation by the creative team of Mike and Bryan, Joaquim, Tim Hendrick, Joshua Hamilton, Aaron Ehasz, The Track Team and Studio Mir just to name a few, is hands down some of the best individual work ever done for a Television Show. It's high caliber and extremely well done.

Everything about this franchise is wonderful. My personal favourite 'Books/Seasons' are: Spirit, Air and Earth.

My favourite character of all time is Zuko, everything that's said about this amazing show will not be repeated by me. Just go see it for yourself and experience the highest level of entertainment!