IMDb > The Guilt Trip (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 7 of 10: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

Just a delightful movie

Author: thehappycow from United States
2 January 2014

I loved this movie. I wish so much Barbara Streisand would do more, she is such a treasure. Together with Seth Rogen, I mean how can this not be totally honest and funny? It could have been much more, with a few other interesting characters, but Barbara and Seth certainly made it all it could be as it is. There should be more movies about the realities of menopause and aging and how much real women love food! Movies now are so about perennially 18 yr-old anorexics and their boy-bodies, but how much do I love Barbara? She is so incredibly willing to show herself exactly as she is, hardly anorexic, no plastic surgery, I mean how many 70 year-old women would allow themselves to be filmed eating a totally gluttonous meal? She has been a role model for me for years, because of who she is and what she believes in, and now I love her even more. See this movie, you will love it.

HK Auteur Review - The Guilt Trip

Author: hkauteur from Hong Kong
7 December 2013

Growing up as a Chinese boy in the immigrant culture of Canada, aspects of Jewish, Italian and Chinese cultures always seemed similar to me. I don't think we are all that different after all. We are all family-oriented, express love through home-cooking, and share a deep respect for family ancestry. Subsequently, our mothers aren't that different either; they nag and embarrass us in public and as indicated by the film's title, they love using the guilt trip. That is primarily how I connected to the truths and comedy of The Guilt Trip.

Barbara Streisand and Seth Rogen create a charming chemistry as the mother and son. Seth Rogen is a good straight man. I don't know thing one about Barbara Streisand, her music career or seen any of her movies, but she is the secret ingredient that makes everything work. Without the charm or the truth to the way Streisand played the role, the role would have been annoying very quickly.

The nagging and bickering can be grating for some audiences because of how real everything is presented, maybe to the point it doesn't feel like entertainment. For me with my theory about Jewish, Italian and Chinese cultures being very similar, it was an insightful engaging experience watching that dynamic being acted out on screen. That said, I probably would enjoy watching it with my sister laughing about our mother than watch it awkwardly alone with my mother.

I laughed throughout the entire film. What I liked most about The Guilt Trip was how honest and real it was. The truth of the situation never precedes the humor. Anne Fletcher and her editor cut the comedy gags with discipline, the gags never outstay their welcome and all move the story forward. There are even times where there aren't laughs. That's where the truth pays off as it delivers some genuine heartfelt moments between the mother and son. And the heartbeat in The Guilt Trip is why I would recommend it.

For more reviews, please visit my film blog @ http://hkauteur.wordpress.com

Stick to what you're good at Seth.

Author: ArT_of_InSaNiTy from United Kingdom
26 November 2013

Well it was basically inevitable this would happen. That the on fire Seth Rogen would succumb (like so many before him) to mainstream demand. As someone who has built their stature on crude, quick witted, ruthless humour; suddenly starring in a film based on a mother/son road-trip is completely out of his comfort zone...and it shows.

This was Seth's bad apple. If "The Green Hornet" was a slight derailment then this was the carriages of that derailed train tumbling to destruction. Fortunately he has since recovered and went back to his roots with "This is the End" and here's hoping he remains there for the rest of his acting career.

The film is executed poorly and i just found myself hating both Andrew (Rogen) and Joyce (Streisand), hating the scenarios and although the story is credible it is rather limp. And at some points i would have preferred their rental car to plummet off a bridge or cliff just so i wouldn't need to listen to anymore pointless dialogue.

Sure they start out annoying, but they get better

Author: SnoopyStyle
17 September 2013

Andy Brewster (Seth Rogen) is a chemist who invents a safe bio-cleaner and used all his savings into the project. Except he's a horrible salesman. He can't stand his mother Joyce (Barbara Streisand). When she tells him about an old flame, he decides to add him to his sales road trip and invite her mother to come along.

Barbara Streisand just can't stop talking. Her character is really annoying. And Seth Rogen's character is so tired of her, that he can't take any advise from her, even if the advise is warranted. This was fun for 10 minutes, then it got tiresome as a 1 joke movie.

Then the characters started to grow and change. They end up as very likable people. And I'm glad to stick it out with those annoying people early on. They're worth it.

Nothing guilty about it

Author: Gordon-11 from Earth
6 September 2013

This film is about a chemist who goes onto a road trip with his mother who nags all the time, trying to sell the natural cleaning agent he invented.

"The Guilt Trip" tells how a mother can be annoying and almost intolerable. We know it is because she loves her son so much that she cares about her son's wellbeing in an all rounded way. This is something many viewers can relate to, and as a result this film is more than just a comedy, but a heartwarming drama about the great unconditional love between mothers and sons. Though a Hollywood is to be expected in a film like this, when it finally happens, it brings an unexpected wave of warmth, love and satisfaction to me.

There is nothing guilty about "The Guilt Trip". I really enjoyed watching it.

A gentle character comedy,

Author: laymonite-2 from United Kingdom
10 August 2013

I hadn't seen any trailers for this film and with Seth Rogen involved I suspected a low brow comedy.

In fact it's quite a touching 'feel good' character based comedy that's worth a watch.

The performances from Rogan and Streisand and how they play against each other are what make the film worth watching, the plot is shmaltzy, and utterly silly. It doesn't bear examining for realism as you won't find it! A few laugh out loud chuckles, some sentimental dross that seems to work, some good acting.

It was entertaining, but don't expect 'The Hangover'.

Delightful comedy that sinks right in...

Author: Paul Magne Haakonsen from Denmark
9 August 2013

While "The Guilt Trip" is not the type of comedy that will have you spilling your drink from laughing so hard, this is a movie not to miss out on. Why? Well, because it was a great story and the movie was nicely told.

The story is about Andrew Brewster (played by Seth Rogen) who travels across the USA with his mother Joyce Brewster (played by Barbra Streisand). Andrew has invented a fabulous cleaning product and is struggling to get companies interested. Their cross-country roadtrip gives them plenty of opportunities to get to spend time with one another in various situations.

"The Guilt Trip" is really a beautiful movie, because Seth Rogen and Barbra Steisand really play their characters so well, and the writers did a wonderful job in fleshing out and detailing the characters. The script is well written and there is a great sense of wholeness to the story.

I was surprised by "The Guilt Trip", because I hadn't at all expected this outcome from it, especially not with Seth Rogen being in one of the leads. I am not saying that I have anything against him, but his movies tend to be rather generic and following the same mold of how to make a comedy over and over. But "The Guilt Trip" surprised on many levels, and it was a great pleasure to sit down and watch it.

This is the type of movie that draws you in and makes you care and have an interest in the characters, because it is so nicely detailed and so well played. Rogen and Streisand really have great chemistry together on the screen and it shows all throughout the entire movie.

"The Guilt Trip" is not a movie to just flicker off with the wave of a hand. Watch it, enjoy it and take it to heart.

A movie worth seeing on Mother's Day

Author: KineticSeoul from United States
17 May 2013

This isn't a very funny comedy, in fact I didn't really laugh throughout this whole movie. But the thing is I still enjoyed it and couldn't help but have a slight smile throughout this whole flick. I think it's because watching this movie reminded me a lot of my own mother in a lot of ways. Not completely but a lot, especially about a hour through this movie. And that is what made this movie a enjoyable road trip movie. Now the story is basically about a guy(forgot his name but know he is played by Seth Seth Rogen) and his mom(Barbra Streisand) going on a road trip together, well it's basically a business trip for the son and his mom is basically tagging along with him. Now this can seem like a nightmare for some, going on a road trip as an adult with their parents. But movies like this shows how we should appreciate our parents more and spend more time with them. Again it's not really a funny movie but it's a safe comedy that the whole family can enjoy, especially on Mother's Day. And maybe that is the reason I liked this flick, it's because I can connect with it. Because the lecturing from the mother and the fights all seem so darn relatable. Now Seth Rogen plays a bit of a prick son but that also adds to the connection with the characters. Since there was a point in our lives where we acted like complete pricks to our parents that gave us everything. Barbra Streisand played the mother character so well and seemed like a real mother in the movie. From the mannerisms to the nurturing and caring parts to even the parts where she gets angry as a mother. This isn't a hilarious comedy but it's worth seeing just to remember our own mothers and how they treated us and gave us all their efforts.

7.4/10

A reasonably good film

Author: Francisco C R Giardina from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
13 May 2013

I finally had the chance to download and watch this movie. I honestly believe that all the terrible reviews about it are unfair. Of course, the movie is in a way disappointing. One could expect more from Streisans. Rogen is miscast. However, it is a good film. Streisand's ego is under control and she has some really fine moments, specially some dramatic moments that reminded me of her best performances of the past. Besides that, this film is years light better than the truly awful Meet the Parents. I do believe that most of the bad reviews were attacking Barbra Streisand, which is just not right. The film must be reviewed because of the quality of the work, and not because of some prejudice against its leading actress. I also believe that The Guilt Trip would have been a much better movie if it had been directed by somebody else. Anne Fletcher shows she could not handle the material and the possibility of an actress like Streisand

Likely more serviceable than spending a day with your own mother

Author: Steve Pulaski from United States
1 May 2013

The Guilt Trip is one of those films that acts as a hybrid between two genres, this time, the ever-so-common comedy-drama, but it is one you wish would've picked the more serious, dramatic side and stuck with it throughout the entire thing. Its moments of comedy feel forced and predictable, while its dramatic instances feel potent and do not pull any punches. Those dramatic sequences are what nudge the film from basic-cable fare to actual sincerity and thus make the entire endeavor something worth recommending.

The film tells the story of Andy Brewster (Seth Rogen), a chemistry major seeking a corporate deal for his new cleaning solution he concocted. Though he lives alone, Andy constantly feels burdened and babied by his oppressive mother Joyce (Barbara Streisand), who calls him several times a day leaving needy voicemails. He finally decides to visit her, and the two share a long-delayed heart-to-heart about one of Joyce's first loves and how Andy got his name. Andy decides to secretly try and get into contact with Joyce's first love, who works at an advertising agency. He then devises a plan to go on a cross-country road trip with his mother to find Andy and get him and Joyce to reconnect, without her knowledge at all.

Now, by the age-old laws of film, it is apparent that Andy and Joyce, who more than always seem to be on opposite ends of agreement, will reconnect with each other and find out life from their own perspective. The mother-son chemistry here is nothing we haven't seen before, but it is also, nothing so far from real life that it makes for an unrelatable series of miscalculations on the audience's part. The jokes stem from Joyce's overbearing nature with her son, despite him being in his mid-thirties and wholly responsible, oblivious to the fact that she's being a nuisance to her son. Half of them appear tired and worn jokes about the motherly-nature, but some of them are quite spirited and possibly close to home.

As aforementioned, the dramatic instances are when the film really starts to get going. The scenes of Andy and Joyce simply talking, trying to understand each others positions, heartbreak, and motivations is where the film shows its biggest strengths. Writer Dan Fogelman (also responsible for writing Pixar's Cars and Dreamworks' Tangled) has no trouble at all giving both characters enough to say and enough leeway to plea their cases to each other. Director Anne Fletcher (responsible for directing 27 Dresses and The Proposal) also seems to have a clear idea on how to capture mother and son conversation without being too sappy or too free-spirited.

And yet, the real talent here is Rogen and Streisand; two actors we already knew were capable of being funny and serious, but are given the liberty and the range to work together on such a competent project. Rogen play a perfect everyman with a geeky, witty twist and you'd be hardpressed to find a better mother-figure than Streisand, who can go from being kind and effervescent to cold and fragile almost instantly.

The Guilt Trip is in no way great cinematic-fare, but its hardworking talent and sensitive touch on the aspects of family relations buoy it to a level that is equal parts relatable and satisfying. It also helps that these positives are strong enough that when the incredulous twists come out at the end, you have enough solid material to remember over those sequences.

Starring: Seth Rogen and Barbara Streisand. Directed by: Anne Fletcher.

Page 7 of 10: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]