IMDb > Stanley Pickle (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Stanley Pickle More at IMDbPro »

Beautiful and touching

Author: Yaya Leone from United Kingdom
23 November 2010

Stanly pickle is honestly the only short film I have watched this year that was both visually exciting and touching at the same time.

The stunning imagery and technique are carried out by a beautiful story of a lonely boy and the cold yet protected world he naively created for himself.

When a beautiful girl crosses his front yard he takes the chance of coming out of his secured surrounding, but sometimes when we try to surprise someone with something good, it all turns out just plainly wrong...

The overall atmosphere is very cynical with quite a dark sense of humor. It is full of surprising treats, funny and embarrassing moments.

If you like films by Terry Gilliam and Tim Burton, you'll enjoy this one! I look forwards to seeing more from this director.

Wonderful Tale that Twists Just a Bit.

Author: Ian Sklarsky from United States
25 November 2010

Watching this short caught me off guard. At first I was thinking that it was a live action when I saw the posters - but realized that it is stop motion with people, THIS BECOMES WONDERFUL! A fantasy world is built around a young boy discovering that he can't always perfect what he wants. The music is wonderful and I think the whole story is bitter sweet. It made me laugh a few times and left me with a very nice feeling of self discovery, and it's OK to move on in life when things just don't work out.

WONDERFUL movie! I'm telling all my friends about this title! Victoria Mather did an awesome job at sharing this sweet story to the world! 9/10

No doubt a 10 out of 10.

Author: kodama (kodamalamancha) from United Kingdom
25 November 2010

I watched Victoria Mather's short Stanley Pickle at this year's Raindance Film Festival in London, and found myself spellbound by the world she has created.

The film is about a boy who, instead of growing up and moving on, chooses to lock himself in his clock work Never Land.

The atmosphere of the film resembles a children's book with a dark twist, not dissimilar to some of Terry Gilliam's work. The overall design of the film is very well done, from the costume and set design to the cinematography. However, this film is more than just am eye candy. Despite the lack of dialogue, it is full of funny moments as well as deeply touching ones.

I have never came across anything like this film, and was amazed when I found out that the entire film consists of a series of still images captured by an SLR. It was a privilege to see it on the big screen, and would happily watch it again and again. No doubt a 10 out of 10.

True treat for all cinema lovers.

Author: from London, England
24 November 2010

Stanley Pickle is packed with all sorts of cinematic goodness, from the bitter sweet story line and the quintessentially British sense of humour to the stunning visuals created through the fantastic use of pixelation technique and brilliant production design.

The film follows the life of Stanley Pickle, a 20 year old boy/man who (quite happily) shuts himself in the clock work world he created. He lives with his mommy and daddy and spends his day playing with his toys. He sleeps in a child sized bed and gets tucked in by his mommy every night with a good night kiss. However, there has recently been a new addition to his daily routine; to watch the strange girl who appears from the forest and dances around with her bird in the fields from his bedroom window...

What is fascinating about this short film is that it is neither live action nor fully animation. Pixelation has been around for decades, but what is so great about this film is that it fits perfectly to the theme and the story, and not just a "wow" factor or to show off the technique. It feels so organic that you almost forget that it's an incredibly challenging concept to pull off.

Director Victoria Mather has created a magical and dynamic world where motion and stillness coexist. It is full of symbolism, yet you don't feel the need to analyse to appreciate the world of Stanley Pickle and it's beauty. Visually stunning, funny and dark, touching and entertaining. What more can you ask for? Stanley Pickle is a true treat for all cinema lovers and is definitely the best of it's kind.

Excellent!

Author: Butter Soysauce from Japan
30 June 2015

I see this short movie at first, it is very mysterious and funny. I like this movie. It is like watching animation, because the characters moves strangely. I think it is comical, but it also increases more cruelty and scariness. When I think deep meanings of this movie, it is very interesting. This movie says to us that we should be cautious of developing scientific technique. The scientific technique enriches our world, but it can be treated with incorrect usage. Moreover, the movie tells it is impossible that we disobey the providence of nature. The move is excellent plot and making film is so ingenious and creative. I wants to recommend you to see this.

what is NORMAL

Author: yuukiftb from Japan
27 August 2015

There is a boy named Pickle. He has family, and spends normal life in house. However, he has never been outside. Around him, there are a lot of things moving like robots. He always sees a girl playing with her bird from his room. One day, he saw her making a hall to put her dead bird in with sad face. Then he thinks he should encourage her, and goes outside to pick the bird up, and bring it to his room. What does he do to make her happy? Will she be happy because of his action? Are things happening around him really normal? I like the story, but I thought that if it happens in real world, it must be so scary.However, I really think the creator has very good ways of thinking.

Strange story

Author: sgsbbcgbbc from Japan
24 July 2015

A young man lives in a house with his father and mother. The young man sees a girl who runs about and plays with a bird through a window. At night, his father and mother seem strange. They are a mechanical father and mother. He winds a spring of them and they start to move as usual. When he sees the girl again through the window, she brings a dead body of a bird and builds a tomb for the bird. He digs up the dead body and comes back home. He tries to make a mechanical bird and gives it to her. In the film, every characters moves strangely. I think people wonder why characters move strangely and people gradually come in a view of the unique world in this film. I like the weird and comical world.

Fantasy

Author: bbb24 from Japan
22 July 2015

I enjoyed this film. Because I like the atmosphere which is like animation. In addition, the camera work is nice. I was impressed with the scene of people walking. I thought they slide on the ground rather walk. This strange moving makes this film's atmosphere more mysterious. I thought the boy is also things mysterious. Why does he try to bring back to life? How does he live alone? Where does he go at the end? I had these questions when I finished watching this film. The answers are not clear, so the audience can become interested in the film. I like this film. I thought this film is little dark story. The boy's mother and father don't live. And their moving is strange, because they repeat same moving. When I watch this scene, I felt scare.

retro and attractive

Author: ckd-42924 from Tokyo
22 July 2015

My first impression of this film is a strange film. People in this film move unnaturally, and everything in this film seems unnatural. It is because his mother and father are moving with spring. The lead character, a man, likes a woman. He is already an adult, but seems to be a boy. He tries to help the woman in his way, and he learns what life is. You can see the man growing up, as the story goes. I really like this short film. the atmosphere of this film is kind of retro and attractive. In addition, the story itself is also very good. I think it is really great to convey some message to audience without language, only using pictures and story.

unrealistic

Author: pisrgofort from Japan
21 July 2015

This movie strange because it is unrealistic. Also, the main character and other character's movement are uneasy. So I take time to understand the contents. If I have a doll mother and father, I will feel that life is boring. The most memorable scene is the main character dissects a bird body. Firstly, I wonder why the main character makes doll. But I think this movie tells us that if we don't get love from parents and friends, we will not be able to have consideration. Now, we spend time together with our own family and we think it is natural. But it is not so and it's too cozy, I think. So this story tells us to humaneness and compassion.