IMDb > I Melt with You (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
I Melt with You

I Melt with You More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Dark meditation on middle age regret

Author: richard-ames86 from United States
13 December 2011

A film as powerful as it is disturbing, I Melt With You is for those of us who loved "requiem for a dream," "old boy," "irreversible," and "eraserhead" for their darker truths. The four anti heroes here are the people we know if we open our eyes and look around. Intentionally bleak, it takes a cold look at a group of men who have made bad choices in their lives and come face to face with them. Not everyone is honest enough to admit the vast difference between who they said they would be and what they actually became. These characters are. And what makes I Melt With You even more disturbing is the backdrop of Big Sur. It is the ugliness of living set against the power and beauty of nature. I found this movie incredibly moving and original, but, like the movies above, it is not for everyone. Oh, the soundtrack is the best I've heard in years.

A triumph of audacity and vision

Author: beth-mcmann from United States
29 December 2011

In an era of forgettable films, this movie dares to go full throttle, staying in your bloodstream for days. It takes a complex and dark look at the mid-life crisis, which for many is not just a cliché. It has a punk rock, take-no-prisoners attitude that clearly makes people uncomfortable. Before I saw it, I'd read reviews about "self-indulgent, whining white guys," but I think these people missed the point entirely. This movie is about paying respect to the dreams you had when you were young, however naïve they may have been. It's about pain, honesty, friendship, and a certain degree of insanity. These characters aren't heroic, if anything expect the opposite. The four actors give raw, unhinged, moving performances.

Is it for everybody? No. It's polarizing, in-your-face, and also one of the most daring and original films I've ever seen. If you're looking for a movie that makes you feel something, that makes you think about choices you (or the people around you) have made, this is a must-see.

Amazing film! Haunting and vivid.

Author: reznor2112 from United States
14 December 2011

I am very surprised to see so many bad reviews. I first wanted to see this film because of the cast and I am an independent filmmaker that enjoys the oddball films.

What I loved most about this was the soundtrack mixed with this ever depressing plot. This film is Alexander Payne on cocaine. Yes it is depressing but so are legendary film such as Trainspotting.

Much like Trainspotting and the amazing Director Danny Boyle, this film has some of the most beautiful photography around. Weird and crazy, mostly out of focus and shaky/abnormal shot help portray the chaos of this film.

If you honestly sit and watch this film for what it is (an experiment to dive into the soul and inner thoughts of middle-aged men) and not the next Hollywood Blockbuster then I think people may enjoy it more.

emotionally draining

Author: jeffgti from United States
27 April 2011

i have tried to avoid using any spoilers but i did not want any inference to be taken from what i write. i saw this movie at Sundance with my wife. while leaving the theater after the end of the movie my wife asked me what i thought. i literally could not get any words out. between having a lump in my throat from fighting back tears and being on sensory overload i could not speak for a good ten minutes. i can honestly say that i have never even come close to having such a reaction from a movie. the combination of the excellent 80's punk rock sound track and the frenetic shooting style elevated the anxiety level to a fever pitch. when things start to spiral downward it is hard to recover. this movie is not for the faint of heart but i highly recommend seeing it.

Truly brilliant film

Author: eddieblaney from United Kingdom
16 December 2011

I have just watched this film and i am blown away on every level. I think it is so real it is untrue. I would have paid 10 dollars. Maybe not everyone's cup of tea but i think it delivers, disturbs and makes you think about all kinds of stuff good and bad. I have read some other reviews and cannot for the life of me understand how negative some reviews are, It is only a film after all. In my opinion a brilliant film that will become a real cult film in time. I loved the camera use effects etc , very real , comes with a great cast and soundtrack also , I don't think the actors could have performed any better. Very convincing, I will recommend this film to all of my friends as a real life situation tonic. Brilliant. The best film i have seen in many years.

Drugs

Author: Stephen Grant from Dublin, Eire.
10 February 2012

I have to say I really enjoyed this Movie. I sat down to watch it not really knowing what to expect. I am a happily Married Man nearing my Forties and I found it very thought provoking. The soundtrack was excellent and the whole make up of the Movie reminded me of the hedonistic trips you would take as a group of Lads when you were younger and how everyone out there, yes, you included still think you would be up for it now! But then reality bites you in the Ass! The best way to describe this movie is a night of debauchery, booze, drugs, and especially the comedown! Excellent Movie, I "high"ly recommend it.The Camera work & setting for the Movie are brilliant. The Acting is excellent and i really enjoyed Thomas Jane's performance. Saying that all four lead Actors were Brilliant.

A Heartwarming Holiday Film for All Ages… NOT!

Author: soncoman from United States
12 May 2012

Late last year, I had the chance to preview a little film titled "I Melt With You." It's an ensemble drama featuring Rob Lowe, Jeremy Piven, Thomas Jane and Christian MacKay. This film opened in the thick of the Holiday Movie Season.

If your idea of a holiday movie treat leans toward the likes of "Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked" or "Arthur Christmas" or "The Muppets," this film is NOT for you. If your idea of a holiday movie treat leans toward the likes of "Mission Impossible…" or "Sherlock Holmes…" then this film is NOT for you. Quite frankly, after watching it twice, I'm really not sure just who the hell this film is for - and that is not a criticism of the film. It is a strongly acted, strongly directed film that sucks you in and doesn't let go.

Every year, four "forty-something" college friends leave their careers and families behind to gather in a sort of mini-reunion where they live the weekend as if they were back in school - lots of sex, TONS of drugs, and the obligatory (punk) rock and roll. This year, however, things will be different.

And it's at this point, I must stop. To reveal anymore would lessen the film's impact on the viewer. The trailer gives you enough backstory (actually, a little too much) to make a synopsis from me redundant.

This film has polarized audiences throughout the festival circuit. Reactions to the film have been strong and deep felt - both positive and negative.

Bottom line - Is this a good film? Yes, I think it is. As I said - it's strongly acted, strongly directed, energetically edited and dynamically scored. Is it a pleasant film? Absolutely not. This is a tough film – a very tough film. Tough to watch, tough to listen to, tough to think about, and tough to let go of after it's over.

Not sure why everybody is hating on this movie.

Author: perisho from United States
28 October 2012

I think it's pretty safe to say that the target market for this movie is over 40 and male (I might throw 'white' in there as well but I'm not sure about that). If you don't fall into this demographic you probably are not going to dig this movie. I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing tho- people make movies for certain audiences all the time.

I don't usually write reviews but I felt like there was too much hate for this movie out there. It tells a story, the acting is good, the movie making is good, there are a few parts that are not completely clear- I'm not sure if that is writing or editing or directing.

Depending on how you look at the movie you might consider it a psych study on a group dynamic amongst males over time. You might see some of yourself in the characters- and you might not. if you don't, the movie might seem awfully self indulgent. If you do, the movie becomes a warning or a dark fantasy or something else. Definitely not boring tho and definitely not a "chick flick".

You will not be able to sleep after you watch this

Author: trojansoftroyreign from United States
19 April 2012

This movie is truly amazing. it oozes despair. I caught myself holding my breathe many times. It is so beautifully disturbing. The camera work is truly mesmerizing. It is not for the faint of heart. Best movie I have seen in years. You will stare at the black screen after the credits wondering what the f@$k just happened. The soundtrack is also top notch. I was very skeptical when i saw Jeremy Piven was in the movie but even he stepped up from his usual sub par acting. Thomas Jane is amazing as usual and Rob Lowe is surprisingly good, i had never heard of Christian Mckay before this movie but he held his own with Jane as the two driving forces of the movie. I am a better person after watching this movie.

A masterpiece, and stupid at the same time.

Author: Nesvrstani from Serbia
24 December 2011

I didn't have this much mixed emotions for a film in a long, long time. The film blew my mind. I will divide it in two parts. As the film lasts two hours in total, let's divide it in an hour each.

The first hour is a masterpiece. Such good acting, dialog, scenery, the director, Mark Pellington, has truly made a masterpiece. I did not see such good ''camerawork'' in a long time. The actors, could have not acted better. I was stunned by the chemistry between them. It truly is, if you don't mind the theme of the story, a fantastic 'drive' through the first hour. The soundtrack, was also stunning as well. For the first part of the movie, had it not have changed through the second part, it would have been an 11/10. By the virtuosity of the complete package, a flawless portion of the film, with amazing realistic relations and events.

After things go wrong, in more ways then one, the movie kinda goes on another road. Not that it's a bad road, but the execution was bad. A story, that I could not completely believe, kinda left a bad taste in my mouth. To end it all like they did, was in my opinion, a bad way, and the film simply goes downhill.

Why the incredibly high score then? Because it was beautiful. It was stunning, and as others pointed out, not for the emotionally weak or those who live in a glass house, not involved with real life problems and tragedies we all endure during our daily lives. To put it in overused terms, it's simply epic, and emotionally draining.

A gem.