IMDb > "InSecurity" (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"InSecurity"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"InSecurity" More at IMDbPro »

it was funny

Author: let_your_tongue_out from United States
9 January 2011

I watched this without knowing what it was about, and by looking at the title, I thought that it was going to be a serious crime drama, but I was wrong. Into first 5 minutes, I realized that it was comedy, but comedy involving the Canadian National Intelligence and Security Agency, so I guess I was half right. The show was pretty good, made me laugh at some scenes. I don't think it is the best comedy out there, but it is certainly not the worst. And I am a person who loves these kind of shows. I don't know about other people but I liked it. I hope you guys check it out. Also, I went to wikipedia after watching the first episode and I read that one of the writers thinks of this show as "24 without Jack Bauer..." but I don't think this show is even close to 24. But I don't know because I only watched only one episode.

Great new comedy Canadian style

Author: sleepless-in-mtl from Canada
15 January 2011

I saw the commercial a couple of weeks ago and thought it looked good; it was a change from sketch comedy Canada is known for. It's about a fictitious intelligence agency, NISA, and the crazy hijinks the agents get themselves into. You get the one who's sexy and gutsy but knows her fellow agents aren't the quickest bunch to catch onto anything, there's the older agent who has the brains but has to tolerate the others (especially one agent who's not so bright), the one who's not so bright at all, one who's so melodramatic that her character mocks your typical intelligence agents we normally see in dramas, one who has violent thoughts that it scares people, and the one in charge isn't perfect either. Only 2 episodes have aired so far and it's really good. I look forward to seeing many more episodes.

Fun, clever and likable

Author: melmac50 from United States
16 August 2011

Just good, clean fun. Kind of a modern day "Get Smart." Appealing cast, some pretty clever lines...no heavy lifting required. But you do have to pay attention as the best lines come out of nowhere and there are some knock-out obscure references to keep you on your toes. How another reviewer could find this one of the CBC's worst comedies ever is inconceivable to me. My reaction is that it might well be their best (which admittedly isn't saying much). However, in this case it plays as well as most anything I've seen of late and is one of my favorites amongst all the mainstream comedies currently in production (my top pick being "Modern Family." The late, great "Good Guys" with Colin Hanks and Bradley Whitford got some good laughs out of me as well, uneven as it was).

Surprise comedy hit for me

Author: (imdb@forensicdesign.net) from United States
26 March 2011

I started watching this show without any knowledge of what it was about. I based my decision to watch the first episode based on the title and the description on IMDb when I read the phrase "safe...ish" There are very few comedies out there that are clever, amusing, and have new material. This show has it all and the dialogue is written very well. There are times when I think a lot of the actors are just improvising and reacting to others comments which makes interactions more natural.

I had a friend watch one of the episodes, and besides saying the lead female character was extremely attractive, he also thought the dialogue was entertaining and really grabs your attention.

This show is fantastic in its direction, comedy style, and dry humor. There has not been one episode where I did not laugh out loud. It won't make you laugh for minutes, but it will make you laugh for a few seconds several times during an episode.

I recommend this show 100% and give this show a 10 out of 10.

Mildly Amusing

Author: CorumJI from Florida
20 January 2011

I spotted this one somewhere so I gave it a chance, and I've seen the three episodes that have aired so far. It's not great, and a lot of the jokes are a bit clichéd and fall flat, but they do get a smile or a laugh often enough that there are *much* worse things, like, oh, -Everybody Loves Raymond-, to spend your time watching. It'll be interesting to see if the writers work their way up or down with the quality. ATM, there's about a good joke every 5 mins, while the intervening stuff is mildly entertaining distraction. You can certainly watch this show in the background while doing something else more significant.

The best conceptual comparison to the show is probably the classic -Get Smart-, only focused more on '99' than Max. It has four "competent" characters('99' + three quirky ones), and two comic-relief bumblers. Some of the humor comes from the quirks of the three, some from the two bumblers, and some from other situations involving the villains... the '99' character is often a straight man for the humor, and that works fine.

Whatever you do, don't go in expecting the vaguest sort of realism -- note even the level you see in -Burn Notice- or -Chuck-. As was "Get Smart", this is lightly absurdist farce.

Watch the first episode (or any episode, if you want, they don't really need to be watched in order) -- If it makes you smile -occasionally-, then give it a chance. If it doesn't, then it's a safe bet it's not your cup of tea.

Awful

Author: thevocalcoach from Canada
11 March 2014

Insecurity was awful. I saw three episodes and I think I deserve a medal or a cookie for being able to force myself just to watch that much. In three whole episodes I didn't laugh not even one time but I groaned at how awful the acting and the jokes were at least a dozen times, like audibly groaned, for real, because it was so horrible. That's how bad this show was. At least in my opinion, I can't speak for everyone, but will say that everyone I have talked to and know who ever watched this show thought it sucked. I am very suspicious of the positive reviews here because I have honestly not met many people who say they ever saw this show, and every one of the people who have told me they saw it said it was the worst. Maybe it's a regional thing and other regions like the show better? I have no idea. But this show was really horrible as far as I'm concerned. It's easily one of the worst written shows CBC has ever made and the cast was terrible.

Not Funny

Author: johns6087 from United Kingdom
9 May 2012

This show is not funny at all in my opinion. I am surprised by the number of positive reviews there are posted here and how low the negative reviews are ranked, but c'est la vie I guess there are people out there who actually do like this show. But I really don't understand how I've never met these people who like this show in real life yet somehow it ranks at 5.3/10 here. My friends, partner and I all seem to agree it's closer to a 1/10.

I find the writing to be very tired and predictable with no laughs to be had (again for me), and the acting is one dimensional and just plain not very good.

I am glad this show was cancelled because I frankly expect a whole lot more from my publicly funded television channels than bad and tired shows like this.

InSecurity is a Potential Treat

Author: shatteredrifle from Philippines
11 January 2011

InSecurity centers on NISA (an intelligence agency in Canada) agents who try to do their best in serving their country in spite of their uncanny ability to always get into trouble. All of them seem to have a large amount of... Yes, you guessed it. InSecurity.

Before watching the pilot episode, I read a viewer comment that the show is like NBC's Chuck. I understand where that person was coming from, since both of them are action comedies centered on secret government agencies. However, the similarities stop there. This production is very low budget (which is not really a bad thing if a show is done in the right manner). It's not heavy on action (a kick, several takedowns and a single significant bullet fired near the end were featured) and instead relies on awkward humor and funny conversations to carry the flow.

You really have to dumb yourself down to watch it properly and enjoy it, which is not really such a bad thing if you just want to have a few laughs for half an hour. However, if you're a fan of spy series, this is definitely not the show for you since you'd be irritated at how stupid the characters can get. There are definitely a lot of things to improve on, like the quality of acting present. I also hope they give the characters redeeming attributes so it would be a bit believable that these people were really qualified to be operatives in the first place.

One of the bright spots of InSecurity is Natalie Lisinka, who plays team leader Alex Cranston. She was a treat to watch in the first episode, and I'm looking forward to seeing more of her soon.

InSecurity is far from perfect but it is actually quite entertaining. As I said earlier, you just have to let your mind rest and give yourself a break. Don't take it too seriously and you'll feel good after watching it. An episode can only tell you so much, so based on what I've seen so far, I think I'm going to catch the next one and give this show a chance.

How about you?

One of the best Canadian comedies

Author: leonarbe from YVR
26 May 2012

Personally I love this comedy series. It has the touch of the "immigrant", broad sample of different countries in the Canadian culture. It uses very clean sense of humor, sarcastic by some, but not for the person who performs, thus giving a naive behaviour which turns into funny actions. Not sure why people don't like it. Perhaps because there's not swearing or killing or too much violence in the episodes. It's like the old series "Get smart" but with the different culture touch approach. I highly recommend this series. The characters are well specialized in each of their fields, but VERY WEAK ON any other field. Like the blonde who cannot shoot at someone 10 meters away from her.

goofy, funny and geography might be important

Author: jamvetzal from Canada
17 January 2012

stumbled upon this on netflix, it's based around a bumbling Canadian spy team that often succeeds because the villain is even more incompetent. it's pretty goofy, it's a comedy first so don't come to it looking for realism on how agencies really work. however being Canadian is probably required to fully get this show because there is a lot of local jokes in there or jokes that really appeal to Canadian nationalism (Canada secretly has the powerful army for instance) i don't intend to insult anybody but Americans for instance might not get the jokes about Canadian art counsel or CBC, so if your canuck i recommend, everybody else though you might find it meh