IMDb > Despicable Me 2 (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 29:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Loved It!!!

Author: carrie-ann-707-769424 from United Kingdom
27 June 2013

In all honesty I can't remember the first film that well, so I found it hard to compare to the sequel. On the other hand this film is completely memorable and so enjoyable.

I saw the preview and I absolutely loved it. I was worried that all the good bits were in the adverts but the film was full of exciting and hilarious parts that aren't in the advert.

The minions are so funny, I was actually crying with laughter at some parts. In fact, I enjoyed it so much I am taking my little brother to see it again (mainly so I can see it again! Hehe)

The characters are lovable, hate able, and hilarious, the film has evolved from the first one (from what I can remember) and its such a heart warming family film.

I COMPLETELY Recommend THIS FILM :)

Good animated fun!

Author: ATEreviews from United Kingdom
23 June 2013

I went to see this film this morning and found it very enjoyable. I can't really remember the 1st so I can't really compare.

Despicable Me 2 is a fast paced, funny, feel good film that keeps you entertained from the 1st minute to the last. The pace of the film moves along nicely and keeps the audience attention very well. It has many laugh out loud moments, a decent mix of children humour and adult humour.

The main character Gru (voiced by Steve Carell)is likable and funny. The minions however are the main stars, they had me laughing on multiple occasions during the film. The language created for the minions is very well done as they speak in a fictional language but you can always gather what they are saying.

I found the visuals very impressive, it was very colourful and very imaginative. The action scenes we also very well done.

Would definitely recommend seeing this, no matter what your age. I am 22 and thoroughly enjoyed this movie. It's not just for kids!

Better than the original!

Author: Anais Inard from Australia
21 June 2013

It's not often that a hit animated film's sequel surpasses the original film. Despicable Me 2 is one of those rare cases. From the moment it appears on the screen to the end of the film, Despicable Me 2 is a fast paced, fun film that never ceases to be entertaining.

This film has you laughing quite often, contains humour that both kids and adults can appreciate, and had at least one moment that was worthy of clapping out loud to.

The character development is to be praised, as is the warmth and soul that Pierre Coffin and Chris Renaud put into this film.

This film leaves you feeling joyful and satisfied and happy for the characters and the new direction their lives are taking.

This film is not to be missed and I can't recommend it enough.

When the world needed a hero, they called a villain.

Author: slwild-616-635800 from Manchester, England
23 June 2013

I went to the cinema preview with my friend for this movie, and its even better than the first film! I only saw the first film recently, and I really liked it. I wasn't sure I wanted to go and see the film at first, but my mate wanted me to go and see the preview yesterday with him, and reluctantly, I said yes. Usually, the second films aren't better than the first, but boy was I wrong! I was laughing through out the whole film, and so was everyone in the audience, it was full to! Steve Carrell's character, Gru, was hilarious. I think everyone could agree though, the minions were the best characters in the film. My friend told me the directors made up a little language and did the voices, and I was very impressed, for you could hear a hint of English in every word they said.

So, if you have seen the first film and liked it, don't hesitate to go and see it when it officially come out on the 28th June. And if you haven't seen the first film, why not?

Fantastic family fun, on par with the original

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
9 July 2013

The first Despicable Me was a wonderful film, so while there is the worry of whether a sequel would work you can't help wanting to see it anyway. Despicable Me 2 was just as good as the first one, maybe not as fresh in terms of plot but what worked so well in the first works equally well here. The animation, also having the advantage of staying true to the style and look that the first had, is bursting with vibrancy and colour without looking too over-saturated as well as having a lot of detail to it. The retro-futuristic designs and gadgets are inventive and very striking to look at, while the music has rousing energy and is also memorable. Despicable Me 2 in the writing and gags is peppered with humour, and this is of the laugh-out-loud hilarious kind, though because there's a lot and that you may be laughing so hard you may be at a risk of missing something. To counter-balance the hilarity, the film also incorporates a message, it is a heartfelt one and doesn't feel cloying and out-of-place. For what the story may lack slightly in freshness in correlation with the first, it more than makes up for it in wit, heart, excitement and how briskly it moves without feeling rushed. Having more of the minions- one of the best assets of the first film- was a masterstroke also, and their subplot also gave the story an increasing sense of jeopardy and threat(though theirs is a little more interesting than that of world domination). Gru is a lovable character, whether a villain like in the first or not, and adds a lot of charisma and energy to the film. The top-notch vocal talents of Steve Carrell, Steve Coogan, Kristen Wiig, Benjamin Bratt and even Russell Brand are a further advantage. All in all, like the first Despicable Me this sequel is fantastic family fun and equal to it. 9/10 Bethany Cox

Riotously hilarious, sugary sweet, absolutely adorable and most of all marvelously miniontastic!

Author: almanjit25
12 July 2013

I saw Despicable Me 2 in the cinema and when i left i did not like it all that much. If i do not take to a film on the first watch then i am unlikely to change my opinion on subsequent views. This film is one of the rare exceptions. I have many 'perhaps' reasons of not liking it the first time from spoilers to mood changes. Well that in neither here nor there. I decided to see it just to pass time after a strenuous day at college followed by work. And i was blown away. Then i saw it again yesterday and it was even better.

It has its goal set out from the very start. It is family entertainment in and out. And great family entertainment.

It is contemporary ingenuity coupled with zany cartoony fantasy to produce a feature that is so much fun and so exciting. It is the first animated feature in a long time to move away from serious or emotion filled animation and instead aim for the imaginative wild completely unrealistic feel and fun of the cartoons of yore. That is a great thing as it feels like something new and in this case new is awesome. I adore emotion filled animation but sometimes you just need to smile and laugh and laugh some more with crazy comedic toon antics and this film provides that. The animation is so colorful and delightful, so pleasing to the eye in its adorableness.

Whoever imagined the minions needs to be awarded a medal. They are the most adorable, most cute, most sweet, most pure laugh and smile inducing creations to grace animation in a long time. They made me laugh out wildly and smile all through the film until my cheeks were hurting and i felt like bursting with pure happiness. They are just fun and amazing. Oh and they sing too, hilariously.

The films posters said as their tagline "The Spy who Lover Her'. An obvious reference to the James Bond flick, The Spy Who Loved Me. So obviously espionage and spy craziness is thrown in for a satisfying story. A story that in fact feels like an updated cartoon version of an exaggerated James Bond film of the the 70's and 80's.

Gru really is an amazing father and his relationship with the girls is something very precious. I like how family dynamic is explored in this film. Rarely do we have films of adopted children coming into a new family dynamic. The last time i saw that type of dynamic was in Tarzan in 1999 before seeing it once more in the prequel to this film. The girls are just great in this film. Agnes who is just so adorable wishes for a mother and Gru sees that and he can see it is saddening her. Gru is also lonely and goes out into the dating world resulting in hilarious consequences and sweet surprises.

Agent Lucy Wilde, nice pun since she is a huge dose of wild fun, is just a great character addition that adds to the looniness and excitement of it all. She is so weird in the best way possible, quirky, funny and absolutely amazing. She is a remarkable character. And her vivid personality just adds to the sweetness and captivating charm of this film. Thus she provides the perfect romantic lead for Gru.

Pharell Williams needs applause for the music. The songs are just so upbeat and fun and in the distinct style of Mr Williams. They are just so warm and the animated sequences accompanying them are just marvelous, fun and dream like. Adding to the smiles galore of the film.

It is a film for the family and the hilarious humor is divided into slapstick hilarity that adults too will thoroughly love, some jokes that will go over kids heads and some really sensational references mostly aimed at adults such as The Spy Who Loved Me and many more including other James Bond references and references to Star Wars, The Lord of the Rings, The Incredibles, Get Smart as well as The Matrix and Superman among others.

I feel this film will become what the film Up is to me. A film so sweet, so heartwarming and imaginative and so smile inducing that it will just keep getting more amazing with further views as the years go by and become an absolute all time favorite.

I like that they mix humor with sweet awkward and adorable romance. Then they stir in the Minion Factor of pure awesomeness. Toss in great gags and action packed and imaginative excitement. Sprinkle some sweetness and finally folding in a dollop of fun. A very fun movie for everyone.

Delightful Family Entertaining

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
1 February 2014

The ex-villain Gru is raising his daughters Margo, Edith and Agnes and researching a legitimate jelly and jam business with Dr. Nefarion and the minions. Meanwhile, a laboratory in Arctic is stolen by a powerful aircraft using magnetism. The Anti-Villain league (AVL) agent Lucy Wilde recruits Gru to help her agency to discover who has stolen the laboratory and its research. They know that the thief has a store in a mall, and Gru suspects that the owner of the Mexican restaurant Salsa & Salsa, Eduardo Perez, may be the villain El Macho that is presumed dead in an accident.

"Despicable Me 2" is a delightful family entertaining. Who can resist to Gru, Agnes and the minions? And now, with Margo growing up and interested in boys and the clumsy but heartwarming Lucy Wilde, it is a great fun for the whole family. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "Meu Malvado Favorito 2" ("My Favorite Wicked 2")

it's OK... funny but a bit boring

Author: goofyball from United States
5 July 2013

i wanted to love it... i really did... i love the first one... told many about it... clearly lots of people saw it after it's theatrical run and are excited for part 2... but i saw it last night and it is a little dull... story is weak... predictable...

spoilers the main plot is that gru has to find a villain so gru's a good guy now... that's about it... not a bad idea but most of the movie is him stuck in a mall looking for this villain who is one of the shop owners... just not that interesting... and obvious and it just doesn't feel like a lot is at stake.

he points to the actual bad guy immediately... we all know this is the dude but the movie keeps going... the bad guy is kind of boring and not much is done... he's pretty generic... the villain (beyond gru) in the first one was so much better.

the oldest daughters thing for boys is cute... kristen wiig's character is fun and while their romance is obvious it's still OK the minions save the day... i mean the film.

not a bad sequel at all... still funny... carell and wiig are great... movie's just a little dull

It was okay, I guess

Author: Kyra from Netherlands
16 July 2013

I was really looking forward to this film, but to be honest, it wasn't all that amusing. It made me smile a couple of times, but no real chuckles. The story was a little messy. Gru wasn't as convincing. Neither were his interactions with some of the new characters. Pure good doesn't suit him very well. The minions weren't as funny - in fact, they were a little annoying - and the villain's master plan was rubbish.

The graphics were okay, but visibly low budget (compared to Pixar's Brave, for instance). It was as disappointing as one must expect from a sequel.

If you don't have anything better to do and just want to be mildly entertained for 98 minutes, go for it. Otherwise, just re-watch the original Despicable Me, it was a lot better.

A certain degree of disappointment

Author: princedelapau
6 August 2013

I totally fell in love with Despicable Me. It's probably going to be on my list of Ten Best Films, so naturally I awaited with eagerness the premiere of Despicable Me 2. I watched all the trailers, teasers and Mini Movies with Minions - loved them all. Then I watched the film in full 3D.

Oh dear...

I always thought that there might be a problem with transforming Gru from a villain into a good guy, and I was right. Half of the humour in the original film was based on the fact that Gru is not a nice person.

Unfortunately, he has now been sanitized, virtually recreated as a good suburban father, albeit with some extremely strange habits.

Two of the best protagonists from the original film were ignored: Vector, last seen on the Moon with a polythene helmet on his head, and Dr. Nefario, who vanished for 95% of Despicable Me 2. Even Gru's mother, who had some wonderful cameo appearances in the original, was visible only once.

So, continuity from Film 1 to Film 2 - virtually none.

One of the great charms of the original film were the incredible inventions: the Farter Blaster thing, the Anti-gravity Serum, the boogie robots... This time there was nothing to take their place.

With Vector and Pointy-haired Man from the Bank of Evil Gru had worthy opponents, but the villain of this film was an absolute non-entity - I can't even recall his name without looking it up. All of the tension and interplay between the characters in the first film were missing in this one.

Another of the highlights of the first film was the music. Unfortunately, the soundtrack this time was completely forgettable, with the exception of a reprise of one of the songs from the original - Pretty Girls, I think it was called. Something like that... I was a bit busy yawning to note exactly which of the good songs it was. I just made a mental note and then went back to being slightly bored again.

Yes, I enjoyed it, for a given value of "enjoy". Who could help but enjoy watching those darling little minions? But I left the cinema feeling cheated: Despicable Me deserved a better sequel, better music, a better story line and far better characterisation.

I'm wavering between 5/10 and 6/10, but I'll plump for 6/10 because I actually liked the 3D effects. Without them I'd probably plump for 5/10

Page 1 of 29:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]