IMDb > The Horrid Henry Movie (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Horrid Henry: The Movie

The Horrid Henry Movie More at IMDbPro »Horrid Henry: The Movie (original title)

a waste of the talent as its disposal

Author: lamagia_uk from Manchester, UK
5 August 2011

I took my 8 and 6 year old children. My 8 year old is usually quite forgiving of a bad film if she has popcorn. We watch and enjoy a lot of children's films - this was the worst for a long time, since Space Chimps probably, and made worse by that it could have been so much better with a little craft to its direction. And from a director with so much experience as an Editor, it was really badly edited.

My 6 year old thought it was OK, but there lies the problem - the film is obviously aimed, in its semi-high-school American 'teen rock' music pretensions, at a much older audience. A porous plot, even to an 8 year old, and the embarrassing potential of the cast falls extremely flat. Mathew Horne seems only to have two expressions in his repertoire and is in extreme danger of having a bit part comedy career fade fast. Anjelica Huston's Scottish accent was insulting and embarrassing - like a sheltered American impersonating Mrs Doubtfire. Horrid Henry clean cut and Americanised, really wasn't very menacing at all. I was surprised we were spared the sentimental 'son, I got it all wrong but I will always love you' ending: it would have completed the American airbrushing.

Take the Henry out of the title..you have the movie..

Author: FlashCallahan from Leicester, United Kingdom
14 December 2011

When Henry fails yet again to hand in his homework for the umpteenth time, he has no idea that this will set off a chain of events which will see him forming an unlikely alliance with Moody Margaret, the infuriating girl next door, and his irritating little brother Perfect Peter.

Together, they outwit corrupt School Inspectors and toppling an evil Headmaster, winning a talent contest and facing his ultimate nemesis with no way out - all because he is trying to save the very school which he has always professed to hate!

Take most of Britains talent, give them an awful script and some cringe inducing acts to do, and you have this poor excuse of a movie.

My daughter loves the animated series, but she really got fed up after the second act. It's a travesty to see such talent look so awkward with the little that they are given.

And I though E. Grant was hamming it up in Hudson Hawk! He really takes the biscuit in this.

The best thing about this is Huston, giving it her all in such a mess.

Not quite horrid, but a real disappointment

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
25 August 2011

I love the books and the TV series, and although I was very dubious of seeing Horrid Henry:The Movie, especially after hearing it had 3D and Dick and Dom, part of me was eager to see it. So I did, expecting an entertaining enough movie on its own terms.

What I got was a real disappointment. It wasn't horrid, but overall it was the weakest films I've seen so far this year and one of the most disappointing. The only good things for me were Theo Stevenson's spirited performance and the jaunty soundtrack.

Firstly I didn't like how the film looked. It was certainly colourful but also in a sense over-saturated. Horrid Henry:The Movie was quite badly edited as well, constantly it felt very awkward and rushed.

The costumes are also rather cartoony in style. I wasn't happy that Horrid Henry:The Movie would have 3D effects, I frankly didn't think it needed it, and after seeing I still wasn't happy. I still think they were unnecessary, and the lack of clarity and sharpness in the effects themselves cheapened the film for me.

The story was another minus, overall I found it very rushed and predictable with little of the charm and simplicity that the books and TV series had. The only thing I liked about the story was the lack of the over-sentimental(or it can be) "I love you son" sort of ending.

The writing was messy, the dialogue is often weak and the laughs feel forced. When I saw it the closest the audience came to laughing were a couple of barely audible giggles. Kids either had a sort of amused expression or a sense they weren't sure whether they were supposed to laugh but a lot of adults looked as though they wished they had a triple detention instead.

The cast are talented, but at least to me the film just seemed like an excuse to bring in as many British or TV personalities as possible. Many of them try hard and overdo it, Richard E.Grant definitely applies here, or are wasted, Jo Brand, or don't try, Matthew Horne.

I know they deliberately exaggerated Miss Lovely's character, or so it seemed, but the characterisation was a little too over-eager and sugary for my tastes. Anjelica Huston fares better, she is a wonderful actress and while she overdoes the accent she clearly seems to be enjoying herself. If I had to ask myself what was the most painful bit about this movie? I'd say aside from the poor writing and the unnecessary 3D, it has to be the abysmally unfunny appearance of Dick and Dom.

All in all, a real disappointment. 3/10 Bethany Cox

OK Type Of Film

Author: Billy Bongo from United Kingdom
16 August 2011

This film was alright!

I saw this a couple of days ago because my little brother wanted to see it. It was one of the worst films I've ever seen, I mean I'll admit I laughed a couple of times as some bits in the film were quite cleverly made, but over all I was pretty disappointed! I've read nearly all the books and they are are amazing! Then came the T.V show that was pretty good, and then came the film that thoroughly disappointed me! I thought Dick and Dom could have played a better part, but still they were pretty funny. Basically all the other characters (in my opinion) didn't play a very good part. I thought some parts very unrealistic like when Henry threw the water balloon at Margret. Disappointing, but younger children will love it!

I Hate Saying This About Movies

Author: jami429 from United Kingdom
29 August 2011

England's very first Kids 3D film turned out to be Horrid Henry The Movie. The Horrid Henry books became a big success in the UK alone. They created an animated series in 2006 and now they have created a movie in 2011.

I am a fan of the Horrid Henry books. I also thought the series wasn't too bad either. Then when the film came out I thought it would be good to go and see it.

The characters looked great. But the way the actors performed them was very disappointing. I would call this bad acting. The way they performed each role was very poor. Each one did look like the characters in the books and series, but most of them didn't feel like it was the characters you know in the books. The actual plot was poor as well. It felt like a plot that you would see in an episode of the cartoon series. They could have thought of something much better than what they chose.

I would say that there was one actor in this that did fit the part of her character. That person is Anjelica Huston who played the part of Miss Battleaxe. She really did play the part of Miss Battleaxe really well. She was only on for a few scenes and I think she needed to be in this film a bit longer than she was.

I would not say this is a family film. I would say this is just for kids younger than 8. It might be more entertaining for them than it is for anyone older. It was very disappointing for me; it was actually an insult to the books. I hate saying stuff like that about movies, but I'm afraid I had to say it.

Written By Jamie Foster

In one word this movie is: Terrible. (I'm not using a horrid pun)

Author: Truckhitterfilms from United States
20 June 2014

There are three kinds of movies that I really can't stand. One is a movie that is style over substance with no attempt made at adding substance, two is a movie that is completely pretentious, and three are children's movies that think children are completely stupid so they don't try. In case you haven't guessed, "Horrid Henry: The Movie" fits in with the third category. "Horrid Henry" is a move that does not know what it's about and relies on all sorts of things to keep the audience's attention.

The annoying thing about "Horrid Henry" is that the movie has a million different things going on in it, and still almost nothing happens within the whole movie. the principal of a private school (Richard E. Grant) bribes two school inspectors (Metin and Timur Ahmet) to purposely fail a public school in order to get the student's parents to have to pay to send their kids to the private school. This has happened to several schools already and now the school that Henry goes to is the next domino to fall. Henry and a group of other students, including his arch nemesis Moody Margret (Scarlett Stitt) and his brother Perfect Peter (Ross Marron) join forces to save the school.

The movie loses focus on what it is trying to do about halfway through the movie when Henry is sent to a girl's school by his rich aunt (Helen Lederer) because she thinks he's a girl. There, he runs into Moody Margaret, and this part is supposed to be used to show they hate the girls school and decide to join forces together to save their school so they don't have to go to the girl's school. This part of the movie goes on for at least fifteen minutes, serves very little purpose to the movie other than to add some terrible attempts at comedy and lengthen the movie with something that could be done in five minutes.

The character of Henry (Theo Stevenson) is given two side-stories that tie into the movie, yet don't lead anywhere. Henry says he wants to be a musical sensation, but halfway through the movie that is dropped. Then, he has an arc where he learned how to spell 'homework' and it looks like he's taking school seriously now, but then it turns out he isn't. While he and his team do manage to save the school from closing, everything is back to the way it was at the beginning of the film other than the principal of the other school and the inspectors are arrested. No characters change and there is no lingering effects from the event.

The film throws so many visuals at you that it becomes headache-inducing and even starts to make the movie slip towards that style over substance junk that I hate so much. There are a number of graphics and visual effects in the movie that make no sense and add nothing to the plot, like when Margaret throws a water balloon at Henry, there is a random sequence of him dodging the balloon using random graphics, but it adds nothing to the story.

With a story that goes every which way without any real reason for it, dumb graphic effects, an unlikable protagonist, and a mess of a script, "Horrid Henry" The Movie" is not only a terrible movie, it is intelligence insulting and just leaves you feeling tired and depressed after watching it. With so little a plot to follow and zero pacing to the story, this 93 minute piece of garbage feels like it's two and a half hours long.

Don't waste your time

Author: Kristjan Kostanjsek from Ljubljana, Slovenija
14 January 2014

Horrid Henry The Movie is trying to connect all of the Horrid Henry Books and all of the Episodes from the show by the same name. But it didn't do a good job.

Let me make it short for you. The movie sucks, the story sucks, acting sucks... If this movie was a Hand Job from a woman, I think I would became gay.

The only way this movie can be used for good is if you bet that your friends couldn't watch it through.

By the way... Its the worst fu*king movie I ever fu*king saw. Fu*k you sons of a bit*hes.

*=c

good for kids!

Author: shand9912
12 February 2013

so loads of people were saying it was terrible... -.- it is meant to be abstract and my little five year old brother and 10 year old sister found it fun and to be honest so did i. I LOVE!!! dick and Dom's bit in it... its really creepy and cool and the make up is AMAZING!!!!! As is noel fielding's make up... there are so many big names in this film.

Its funny and colorful. I really enjoyed it.

Its not my favorite film. But it deserves some credit. Its hard to get children to act and they are all pretty good for there age.

I also think it portrays the books very well! Because they are all a little abstract

and it kept my brother quite for an hour or two :) I understand some of the people commenting wanted serious acting and emotion.... if u wanted that... why buy a kids film???? :D so i'd recommend this for children 3-10

I love it, not as bad as everybody says but still has a lot of flaws

Author: bruener from Dublin, Ireland
6 November 2016

So today, it was my 2nd time in 3 years watching this film. I first watched it when it came out like 6 times and I was 10-11 years of age back then. I loved it then and I still love it now. However, as of now, I can admit it does have quite a bit of flaws. I will go into more detail here in a moment. Just taking note that despite these flaws, it's not nearly as bad as everybody say, they're being overreactive by focusing on the negatives rather than the positives.

Firstly, Henry at times during the movie was a bit out of character. He is quite nice at times during it and not necessarily "horrid". However, he is still quite a bad boy in the film, still kind of living up to his name, "Horrid Henry".

Secondly, some scenes were very weird like how it showed Ms. Oddbod rushing to the board to ban Zero Zombies from the talent contest. It was very weird and at this age of maturity, it is a bit too weird for me to watch.

Thirdly, Peter, as always, is an annoying lil' goody too shorts. I do not like Peter, especially at the beginning. However, this is not much of a flaw as he becomes less annoying as the film goes on. Like I love the fact that Peter and Henry are kind of co-operating, not exactly co-operating because Henry is trying to win 2 Cool 4 School whilst Peter is with Ms. Lovely in Brickhouse trying to get evidence to Ms. Oddbod that the school inspectors are trying to get Ashton to close down.

It has more flaws and some very weird ones but there are many things I like about this film. My favourite part I can say is Zero Zombies on the stage performing Gonna Be A Rockstar as it is such a cool song. I also love how Vicious Vicky goes to bite Sidmouth because I hate him so much. And for me in this film, the good parts overtake the flaws, not by a large amount though which is why I give it a 6/10 overall. I recommend this film for the ages 6-11, none younger, none older - unless you're like me who likes nostalgia.

wanted to hit the main character through out

Author: s-hibbs-25837 from United Kingdom
21 April 2015

absolutely terrible. made me cringe so so much. what a piece of rubbish. the fact noel fielding is in it was such a disappointment, I never thought he'd stoop so low. this movie was crappy, the acting was annoying and it had a typical story line. I know it's just a kids movie, but oh goodness it sucked more juice from donkey poo than bear grylls. it was literally -horrible- and I never ever want to see this again. I just made an account to leave this here. that's how bad this movie was: it moved me to rant. I would honestly rather never see any movies ever again than watch this again. the kid who played henry was irritating. thinking about it, all characters were. to everyone involved in this rubbish: what on earth were you thinking?

avoid this movie - if it even deserves that title - if you're not a basic person with a boring, typical sense of humour. have a nice day!