IMDb > "Breaking Bad" Hermanos (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Breaking Bad: Hermanos (#4.8)"

"Breaking Bad" Hermanos (2011)

« Prev | 41 of 62 Episodes | Next »

Best episode of the season, perhaps of the entire series.

Author: Ananas238 from United States
6 September 2011

Johan Renck really hit it off with Slovis, the DP, it seems on this episode. There are so many beautiful shots of mannerisms in the hands and face. The lighting in each scene was well thought of before-hand. We got to see great follow shots with a shoulder or steadicam that made the scenes very realistic, plus some security cam shots that worked well. Also, the writing is first class as usual for the series.

There's a tremendous amount of work that went into this episode. Beyond the lights and camera work, the rehearsing of movements and mannerisms for all the characters was worth the extra effort.

The episode starts with a pseudo-flashback, opening a door to a tangent of the plot-line which was previously left unanswered. I realized quickly where they were taking us with this episode.

The meat of the episode is an interrogation of epic proportions. In reality I think he would have brought a lawyer with him, but they seemed to sacrifice intelligence of security for making him look more innocent and humbled.

We end with a full flashback, either filmed or edited to reduce the brightness tremendously so as to stare directly at the sun and it doesn't hurt. That was obviously a very bright and sunny day, but not for Gus. The change in light exposure gave us a full sense of flashback, while working very well with the motive of the scene.

Excellent episode. I would easily pick this in my top 5 of all Breaking Bad episodes, and the best of this season so far. Renck should direct a bit more. Such an intricate filming of the series. I loved the hand on knee closeups, the pulsing hand after interrogation, on and on the episode is stuffed with intricacies that are well thought of in a very detailed and consciously executed episode.

Wow, Best Episode Yet!

Author: Rob L (ashleedawg) from Canada
5 September 2011

Wow, best episode yet! This is *such* an intelligent show, which is what makes it almost scary.

I thought I was watching the wrong episode for the first four minutes but they were just flashbacks to remind me about some unfinished business from last year...

(well that wouldn't submit since I apparently need at least 10 lines. I wouldn't know that since this is the first review I've left. Yes, this episode was *that* incredible that I just had to submit a review, in order to recommend it to strangers! It's amazing how this episode ties together a number of loose ends from the past, plus dealing with some current issues. It's nice to see that Jesse is moving on from the Gail thing, but looks like he may have another task at hand...)

A fantastic episode

Author: franko3-1 from United States
15 September 2011

I agree that this was just excellent. My first thought after watching 4.8 was, "Vince Gilligan is a f***ing genius." Brilliant direction, acting, and script as well.

I've always thought that Aaron Paul's character and his portrayal of Jesse were tremendously entertaining. He deserves another Emmy for this episode alone. I find myself being terrified of what is going to happen to him in future episodes. It's such a testament to his ability as an actor that he can make a murdering drug dealer seem so sympathetic.

Every actor involved with this series is just amazing. I can't believe that something of this quality is available on cable television. Breaking Bad proves that TV doesn't have to be crap. It sets the bar high for every other TV drama today.

Who is the "Chicken Man"?

Author: Vlayer from Sweden
16 September 2011

We start with a familiar scene with Walt and Gus from last season after the cousins shootout with Hank. We then see a scene where Gus talks with Tio Hector, he explains the situation and then tells him that this comes of blood for blood. Walt is about to get a scan when another cancer patient tries to start a conversation with him. We says the he no longer has any control of his life, when Walt tells him to always keep control. Walt knows that he eventually will die, but until then he has control over his life.

Hank and his coworkers call Gus to talk about the Gale Boetticher case, they have a sit down and Gus manages to answer every one of their question with ease, except the one about his past. How much do we know about Gustavo Fring? Hank, not satisfied with how the interrogation went, asks Walt to plant a bug on Gus's car. Walt informs Gus of this and promises that he will do everything in his power to make sure that Hank finds nothing.

Aside from Hank, Gus has to deal with the cartel, who are angry over his decision in the last episode and Walt learns that Jesse has been keeping secrets from him. The last scene is a long flashback scene were we learn a lot more about Gus and his connection with the cartel, and what he meant by "sangre por sangre". Incredibly well done scene, with a very tense atmosphere. Proof as to why Breaking Bad is one of the best shows on television.

Questions about Gus's past

Author: Tweekums from United Kingdom
29 December 2012

After the discovery of Gus's fingerprints at Gale's house he is invited to explain their presence to the DEA. He is surprisingly unperturbed but he has an explanation; he funds a scholarship scheme and Gale was one of its beneficiaries, so it makes sense that he might accept a dinner invitation. Hank is still unconvinced as a background check of his previous existence in Chile reveals absolutely nothing; it is if he didn't exist there; Gus puts this down to poor record keeping during the Pinochet years... this is good enough for the DEA but not for Hank. He gets Walt to help him by planting a tracker on Gus's car... which is awkward as Mike is there watching him and he knows that if Gus gets caught it is likely that he will be as well. Later Gus goes to visit Tio in hospital; here, via a flashback to the time Gus first contacted the cartel in Mexico, we learn the real reason that Hank received a phone call just before the attack; we also see Gus get emotional for possibly the first time.

This was a fine episode were Giancarlo Esposito and Dean Norris got to play larger parts than usual as Gus and Hank. Both put in fine performances; especially Esposito who is brilliant as the drug lord who never shows emotion... which only served to increase the impact when he was understandably emotional during the flashback. The episode told us more about his character while simultaneously raising further questions; most notably 'why is there no record of him in his homeland?' Of course they weren't the only two characters to do anything of consequence; the scene where Hank asked Walt to place the tracker on Gus's car managed to be both tense and rather amusing due to Bryan Cranston's portrayal of Walt; he seems genuinely conflicted as he can't say no to his brother in law but equally he can't help Gus get caught!

A Flashback Episode!

Author: g-bodyl from United States
17 January 2015

This is the eighth episode of the fourth season of Breaking Bad. I liked the new direction the episode took in regards to previous episodes. It is more of a flashback episode portraying Gus's entry into the crime world and his dealings with the Mexican cartel. There is a long flashback sequence that is powerful. Though my only complaint is that the dialogue was spoken in Spanish, so that was sort of aggravating.

In this episode, "Hermanos," after Hank discovers Gus's fingerprints in Gale's apartment, Hank and the PD call in Gus for questioning in which he satisfies everyone but Hank. Hank decides, with the help of Walt, to put a GPS locater on Gus's car. We also get the flashback to how Gus became the criminal he is and the extent to how he almost got caught.

Overall, this is a good episode of the fourth season. The pace is a little slower than the previous two episodes, but Gus being questioned by the cops is something I'm sure he will not take lightly, so I expect interesting developments up ahead. I rate this episode 9/10.

"This is what comes of blood for blood"

Author: ricardo_nvl from Lisbon
8 September 2015

After the brilliant performance from Aaron Paul in "Problem Dog", it's Giancarlo Esposito's turn to shine as Gus in "Hermanos". This episode starts as a reminder of his revenge (with his intense dialogue with Hector - "This is what comes of blood for blood") of what we later know from the flashback scene. As Gus is interrogated by DEA and APD, we see him tuning the tides to his favor as was expected from a man with so many resources.

The highlight of "Hermanos" (and the reason for this name) is the flashback scene, which is intense and gives an insight of Gus' history (still waiting to be completely unveiled) and the reason for his revenge.

This was my first review; "Hermanos" was such an important episode I had to write it :)

Brilliant episode from a brilliant series, and I rate it 9/10.

Hermanos (#4.8)

Author: ComedyFan2010 from Canada
4 January 2014

This is very much a Gus episode and it is a great episode.

Giancarlo Esposito has been brilliant as Gus throughout the show since he first appeared. And in this episode he was as great as possible. The scene of him being questioned by the police and later in the elevator was fantastic. And the flashback at the end was a great insight into his character and a great explanation on why he warned Hank.

I also really liked the situation of Hank taking Walt to the chicken place to put the device on Gus's car.

I am kind of sad to see Jesse getting away from Walt and going on behind his back. I like the two as a team and kind of miss seeing them working together. Walt finding it out in this episode makes me also worried that now that the trust is broken he may not care for Jesse as much.

Still not a hint on how season four could end, but still quality entertainment

Author: axel-koch from Austria
21 December 2013

Season four's main plot comes to a bit of a halt in "Hermanos", but that doesn't diminish the importance of the episode as it adds a lot to the Breaking Bad universe (or whatever you'd like to call it) with a hugely interesting flashback and the writers digging up some sub-interesting characters and showing audiences how their lives are currently looking. Thus, "Hermanos" was a slow episode and was a bit sparse on rememberable moments compared to the two preceding ones, but was very well-made and entertaining nevertheless.

Skyler and Marie are out of focus this time, with the first getting barely more noteworthy than a wordless scene pushing her story arc forward and the second at least getting her trademark ridiculously awkward dialogue, which makes the two men in their families come into focus, especially in a short spin that turned out to be more uncomfortable for Walt than that one time where he stood in a supermarket in his birthday suit. Reason for that is Hank putting out his feelers to Gus even more, even though the hermano that makes for one half of the episode's title passes his APD/DEA questioning with flying colors. Dean Norris and Bryan Cranston are superb when the subject of blue meth comes up that Hank is still unaware is coming from his brother-in-law. The latter one of them additionally gets the chance to once again show off his Heisenbergness as he encounters a fellow cancer patient in his monthly examination and gives him an insight into his philosophy, which was the coolest you can get while wearing one of these unflattering patient dresses.

After him blowing away all Breaking Bad audiences in "Problem Dog", Aaron Paul took a step back in "Hermanos" and only said hello for visiting Andrea for the first time since season three's season finale (we didn't see them talking and I don't mind that at all) and further impairing his relationship with Walter while taking a leak. And then there's the really long flashback sequence giving a bit of an insight into Gus' past, but only as much as to show us that he hasn't always been the hardened stoic he is now. Besides the distracting yellow color tone and the most factitious Spanish, that scene was nice as well.