IMDb > Trolls (2016) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Trolls

Trolls More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

A cute, colorful, funny and heartwarming adventure you will definitely enjoy!

Author: averyls
15 October 2016

At first I had pretty low expectations for this film because of its first teaser, but then the first full length trailer made me look forward to it, and now that I've seen it, I have to say, you will enjoy this once you see it. It's very vibrant and filled with colour, which makes for a bright and exciting time, the trolls themselves are all really cute and colorful, and they are usually really funny in a situation and they are always positive and full of hope. It has a very well thought storyline, even if it does sound a bit generic at first, but it feels new and so fresh and original when you see it. And there is a lot of signing and dancing, and a lot of musical cues, and the songs really do get to you, as they are very catchy. And at times this film is very heartwarming, and a bit emotional at places, but that's sort of what you'd expect from a film like this. So overall, definitely see this one, as it is a cute, colorful, funny and heartwarming adventure that the whole family will enjoy!

Will keep kids entertained, but grown-ups with critical capabilities will probably despise it

Author: nicholas-179-871862 from Australia
15 December 2016

I very firmly believe that Trolls is the summation of cinematic garbage. It is only for one specific reason that I give this "movie" more than 1 star, and that is because it will most likely entertain your children. Where to even begin? At the beginning we are introduced to the main antagonists, the Bergens. It is rather unfortunate that most of the Bergens are more fleshed out than the main characters. Who are the main characters, you may ask? The titular Trolls. The Trolls can hardly even be called characters. None of them have any personalities, and I could just barely tell them apart from each other by their physical traits. There was ONE character I did not despise at the beginning, the character of Branch, a Troll who refuses to be happy like the rest of the village. This character was the only thing keeping me from falling asleep and completely despising this movie. However, he eventually is given a sob-story background, and becomes yet another of the cookie-cutter personalities infesting this picture like lice. In addition, the script is awful and generic, and the film cannot even decide what tone it wishes to take. Finally, my biggest gripe is that the Trolls are basically invincible. They are a community of Mary Sues and Gary Stus, who cannot seem to ever be harmed, even if they are repeatedly attacked. How did Dreamworks expect audiences to be emotionally invested in the narrative, when the main "characters" are never in any danger? I cannot recommend this movie, unless you wish to entertain your children for a short while.

Kids will eat it up, Grownups have seen it one too many times

Author: Sa'ar Vardi (saarvardi@walla.co.il) from Kfar Saba, Israel
16 October 2016

I took my 5 1/2 year old daughter to watch Trolls, and for her it was a sight for sore eyes. The main character, Poppy (voiced by Anna Kendrick) is a fluffy, instantly lovable princess troll, who has been raised in a careless, yet slightly obnoxious, world - where everyone hugs each other on an hourly basis, poops cupcakes and bursts into sappy pop tunes in the blink of the eye. Her male counterpart, on the other hand, is all doom and gloom. This troll party pooper, named Branch and colored gray to differentiate him from the endlessly colorful group of merry trolls, keeps warning his friends that their loud lifestyle will put their lives in jeopardy, once the evil Bergens, who are only happy when they eat the tiny little Trolls, will take notice of them. Sure enough, this does happen pretty soon into the movie, and when several Trolls are taken - Poppy and Branch (who refuses to sing throughout the film, even though he is ironically voiced by Justin Timberlake) need to join forces in order to save them.

All in all, Trolls is a very cute film. It stands out of the pack with its familiar setting (the Troll toys have been very popular ever since the early 90's), its rich palette of colors and imaginative drawings, and the catchy tunes which are cleverly adapted into the film. Also, its short run-time will make sure your kids are glues to the chair. On the flip side, I felt the plot didn't really offer anything new, the proceedings were predictable from miles away, and that it lacked a stronger emotional pull that could have left a longer impression. There was some stuff in the movie that seemed like it was trying a bit too hard to be tongue-in- cheek, without really taking itself seriously, and while it gave way to a few laughs, it left me wanting something more than just another cute animated feature.

Sparkly Kids movie

Author: kstjam from Toronto, Canada
14 December 2016

This movie is great for 5 yo girls. They'll love the abundant color, sparkles and soundtrack. Boys - not so much. My 9yo and his friend were squirming in their seats after the first 10 minutes, but the 7yo sister was entertained. Adults - well if you can drink a beer/wine or pass out until the end, this would be advisable - otherwise just shoot me.

The story line is the usual predictable, overdone Cinderella story. The premise of cannibalistic Bergens who can only attain happiness at another's expense, is a little disturbing. However, this is squarely for the young kiddos - I suppose most will enjoy it.

4/10.

Like a VERY long Disney Chanel music video

Author: erinsmitherman from United States
27 November 2016

As parents we expect most movies we take our kids to, to be more for them and feel lucky if we get a few laughs. Trolls disappoints even mediocre expectations. It's totally reliant on colors, noises, and the singing voices of the lead characters. Many movies have adult jokes which children don't need to hear. This one has them, except they are not funny. The adults in the theater with me laughed at maybe 1/20 adult jokes. My son in the 7- 10 yr old range did say he really liked it, but when I asked him why his response was, "I liked how everyone was happy," and "the trolls." The moral takeaway that was slightly present was lost in the pop. There are plenty of kids' movies that the whole family can be entertained and even moved by. Skip this one.

I am so HAPPY now I've seen Trolls

Author: staceyfaye-55628 from United Kingdom
15 October 2016

I just loved it, and the kids just loved it too!

My boys (4 and 2) watched with smiles on their faces and even bopped along to the soundtrack which just spills over with happy, uplifting songs. All of which are sung beautifully.

The story has a real moral without it being overpowering or boring for the kids. We can all learn something from these adorable little dudes, and of course Briget, the Bergen who dares to believe in happiness!

It's fun, glittery, happy and full of singing, dancing, love, big rainbow hair, and just general joy.

If you don't love it, you need to look harder for your happiness, it's in us all somewhere y'know 😘

Sprinkling Happiness at a Theater Near You!

Author: ikjirstin from United States
16 October 2016

Trolls is one of those animated features you may think you've seen already, and don't want to see again...but, hold on; it's funny. If you can hark back to your own childhood, you'll remember this, and want to find a piece of it again.

Releasing it at the start of the holiday season is a smart box office move, but if families actually take their children, a good time will be had by all. I promise you'll be happily humming this soundtrack for days before you break down and buy it because, well, you liked the songs, too. They won't drive you nuts like some purple dinosaur music you may recall with disdain, and you may find them creeping up on your own "most played" list.

The story is good, with relatable characters and situations, and some you'll be thankful can't happen in real life. Yes, there is bathroom humor. Get over it. Kids love it. Children have so little actual power, living vicariously through the antics of Branch (aptly voiced by Justin Timberlake) is the least you can allow. His singing, along with Gwen Stefani and the others make this musical journey a joy to behold, and one you'll want to see on the big screen with the whole family.

Fun! fun! fun !

Author: ancacupsa
31 October 2016

Fun! fun! fun !

Is that kind of movie that will take out the kid in you, no mater how deep you hide it! Trolls just proves that we all have a kid in us, and it's nothing wrong to let him out  every now and then. The mix off colors, the jokes and the fun music will light your face. By the half of the movie,all you want to do it's singing and dancing.  Moddy or happy, we all know that it's a very healthy expression. I strongly recommend Trolls, not just for kids but for the whole family.  You know that day that you are not in mood for anything? I mean anything! That day that you are a step a way to put a sign on your head with: " out of service " so people will live you alone, this is a day to see Trolls!  I promise this movie will  put a huge smile all over your face.

This movie made me happy

Author: george saoulidis from Athens
3 January 2017

No really, it did. I couldn't believe how nice this movie made me feel as I was watching it. The story is a pretty standard hero's journey, but with the evil trolls or grendels or whatever eating happy trolls to get happy themselves. It seemed a little dark at first, but everything works out in the end of course, as this is a kids movie. It shows good and bad in equal measure, which I believe is how we should educate kids, not keep them in a bubble. The lessons it teaches are actually nice, don't give up, persevere, happiness is within. The boy troll (Timberlake) is so funny, especially in the beginning. Anna Kendrick is hilarious with snappy dialogue. The songs are a bit old fashioned, the fact that the writer is nostalgic really stands out. But they fit the story, rather than being just music breaks, so it's good.

Good for kids

Author: christinemartinez1976
26 November 2016

I took my daughter to see it and I remembered when I had the toys. There wasn't a movie to go along with the dolls then, but they were so cute. It was a decent movie, but way too much singing. I know trolls are meant to be happy, but they sang too much. I felt they sang on every little thing they did. It is good for children because children like vivid colors and think the hair is cute. I did back then. I did like Branch because he saw what the other trolls did not see. The others let their guard down because they had years of being undisturbed by the bergens, but Branch was smarter. They learned a lesson from Branch and Branch learned something from them.

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]