IMDb > "Prisoners of War" (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Prisoners of War" More at IMDbPro »"Hatufim" (original title)

Superior to Homeland

Author: Avi Gellman from Israel
1 July 2012

Three Israeli IDF reservists are captured and held behind enemy lines in Lebanon. Back home, as time passes, they become increasingly powerful symbols of hope. 17 years later, two come back alive, one in a coffin...

This drama follows the lives of the the prisoners and their families after their release, veering from vast political themes to poignant domestic ones. The family and friends' relationships and responses feel as real as the torture scenes.

I found this series to be a gripping, moving character based drama, examining a situation that most of us can't begin to imagine the reality of, yet it somehow manages to be relatable. "Homeland" was slick and powerful, but for me, it just didn't have the heart that this original had.

A fantastically slow-paced show

Author: TonyCamonte84 from Germany
31 May 2013

While 'Hatufim' is definitely worth being judged on its own merits, it probably will, for some time, always be compared to the US series that was based on this Israeli original... and after having viewed both series I'm confident in saying that 'Hatufim' doesn't have to shy away from the comparison. In fact, I think it is the superior show of the two.

Whereas 'Homeland' is clearly in the same vein as other US shows and boosts a fast pace, twists and turns and lots of action, 'Hatufim' is much more of a psychological thriller. On the surface much less happens than does in 'Homeland', but 'Hatufim' involves a lot more subtleties as well as realism and character study, especially in its 1st season.

The budget is only a portion of the US remake, but it seldomly shows. Great actors accompany an even better script that left me feeling a lot more involved than the fast pace and action of 'Homeland' did. In fact, Hatufim's 2nd season picks up in pace and action, but still keeps that intimate feeling and heart that 'Homeland' sometimes lacked.

'Homeland' is a very good series, but 'Hatufim' is, in my opinion, a great one.

Season 1: Impeccable. Season 2: Some nontrivial false notes but still gripping.

Author: Richard Tasgal (tasgal) from Beer-Sheva, Israel
3 September 2013

My review is based on two seasons, which is all that has been produced at the time of writing. I have not seen Homeland.

Two Israeli soldiers and a body are returned home after 17 years of captivity by a terrorist group in Syria. The details of the capture, imprisonment, and reactions in Israel draw on actual abductions, for example, Ron Arad, Gilad Shalit, Guy Hever (arguably), and others. The closest real-life Israeli parallel I can think of is the (mildly obscure) case of Massad Abu Toameh, who was kidnapped in Greece and secretly held in Syria for 14 years. There have been somewhat similar cases in the Arab world (not involving Israel) such as in Morocco, Syria, and Iraq. I wish I knew more about those, so I could better compare fiction to reality.

Season 1 follows the returnees and their families as they try to re- adapt to ordinary life, while gradually filling us in on what happened in captivity, some of which involved moral compromises and does not come into the light easily. It's gripping, and, as far as I can tell, fully plausible. Season 2 is more of a thriller, which I won't reveal the reason for. The second season contains significant implausibilities. Drew me in anyway.

Even beyond my high expectations

Author: screenidol from YankinGermany
2 September 2013

The Israel series, Hatufim (Prisoners of War), which is all in Hebrew, is on DVD with English subtitles. It is one of the best TV dramas I have ever seen: tense, suspenseful, emotional, with superb acting and directing. Gritty and violent at times, wonderfully slow other times, and always dramatic; we usually wind up watching two episodes in a row. There are characters you like, others you don't, but you care about or are interested in all of them. The US version, Homeland, was taken from this Israeli original and is also excellently well done, but Hatufim is a lot different and stands entirely on its own; I think it's the better of the two. This powerful drama should be on everybody's watch list. A comment about the English subtitles: we found the same thing a reviewer on Amazon did -- the subtitles marked as English on the disc of season 2 (2012) for episodes 9-12 were only in Hebrew. On the advice of the seller, we tried the disc on our computer and (for reasons I cannot understand) the disc played with the English subtitles! The final episodes (13-14), like all the others except for that one disc, play fine on the DVD player.

Secrecy rules OK

Author: IzAguirreWrathofGod from United Kingdom
17 November 2013

3 Israeli soldiers are captured by a Syrian group of terrorists called Children of Jihad, when a mission goes wrong and turns out to be a trap.... They spend 17 years in captivity where they are both physically and psychologically abused and tortured . They are released after a deal involving transfer of POWs is agreed but only two of them make it home.… They are accompanied by a coffin which contains the barely recognisable remains of the third. Initially they are housed in an IDF facility where they are debriefed by a military psychologist whose job it is to interview all returning POWs. Some discrepancies in their respective stories leads the doctor to believe that they are holding something back and he encourages his beautiful assistant to befriend one of the guys and find out what she can. What subsequently develops is a painstakingly intense study of the difficulties and traumas that POWs and their families experience as they try to come to terms with the lost years and the changes that time has had on all of them, This takes up most of season 1 and requires a great deal of patience on the part of the viewer who may have been expecting something other than a "soap" . But it is well worth the effort and asks searching questions about the nature and wisdom of faithfulness and personal loyalty in the most extreme circumstances.

In season 2, the pace is upped as it is revealed that there might be other forces in play and that there may have been some kind of covert mission involved all along, as too many coincidences happen too often. The story switches between Damascus and Jerusalem as events in both the past and the present reveal that there is more than just the lives of these unfortunate soldiers, at stake…and the question of national security is weighed against the personal well-being of a country's people. Who decides the identity of those who "Need to know"?. Is traumatic personal anguish justified in the need for secrecy ? Isn't the withholding of information about loved ones, itself a form of betrayal ?

The show expertly moves between the continuing personal stories of the individuals who are living out their own dramas and IDF attempts to unearth the facts about the possible manipulation of events and causes a clash between the Israeli military and Mossaad, as the conflict between these bitter neighbouring countries continues….

A third season is in the process of being written.

Gripping, Exciting, Moving

Author: abbieb0809 from London, UK
24 July 2014

This show is sublime. It isn't even worth comparing it to Homeland because there is no comparison. Aside from the fact that PoW was the original of the two, it doesn't focus on the agents, or the families, but instead points the spotlight at the captives and the way they deal with their release, and the subsequent emotional turmoil they have to go through whilst trying to integrate back into Israeli life.

In Homeland it was all about Carrie (the FBI agent) which meant Brody was totally forgotten about.

The English subtitles don't bother me at all, as I truly get lost in the emotion and drama of what is really going on. I'm not going to give anything away. Just watch it. If anything it's incredibly current due to the state of affairs in Gaza at the moment and will take you on a ride you won't forget.

Israeli cinema in its best

Author: Balcanmaster from Bulgaria
20 April 2015

Indeed, even beyond high expectations. One of the most successful serials in recent years, much better made than its US remake Homeland. Israeli cinema in its best.

Magnificent scenario, great directing, excellent cast. Extremely enthralling, holds attention every second. Viewers are constantly under tension - what will happen in the next episode.

A real pleasure for the auditory, proof of the high potential of Israeli cinema in general. I personally very much hope its creators to make a third season, and will look forward to with anticipation of future pleasure. I hope be soon!

Suspenseful Second Season

Author: DegustateurDeChocolat from Italy
30 July 2015

I watched "Prisoners of War" because I had already watched the American TV series, "Homeland", which had taken inspiration from it. The first season lacks of action as it's all focused on the POWs (Prisoners of war) release and their return to family life. Therefore it's more psychological an introspective rather than gripping and suspenseful. However the first season sets the grounds for an amusing second one, where an entangled plot is little by little built up and than unraveled at the end. At a certain stage it's hard to tell who's siding with who and the curiosity of the spectator is more and more stronger. From the beginning to the end I wasn't enthusiastic about the setting, the middle east, probably because it's always associated with tough life and war. I also found surprising the outgoing personality of Israeli people that's depicted in this series.

A tale of two contrasting seasons

Author: grantss from Sydney, Australia
5 March 2015

A tale of two contrasting seasons.

An Israeli drama series about prisoners of war released after 17 years in captivity. The first season shows they cope (or don't) with being back in society, of being reunited with their loved ones, of discovering all they've missed.

It starts off slow, which is understandable - their release and reintegration into society is a sensitive and emotional issue. However, Season 1 never really speeds up. Even after the initial period it still plods along. Some of the plot is necessary but there are quite a few unnecessary detours and melodramas. It starts to feel like a soap opera after a while.

Against the backdrop of the lives of the former prisoners, is a story of intrigue and espionage. This creates some degree of excitement, though there is a nagging suspicion all along that the intrigue is a touch contrived. The intrigue builds throughout the Season.

Season 2 is where it all gets tied up. The series moves from a melodrama to a thriller. Focus shifts to military and espionage- related matters. Much more exciting than Season 1, though the plot is far from watertight. Many scenes are contrived for dramatic effect.

Overall, a decent enough series. Not great - Season 1 was too slow and Season 2 too contrived, but good enough.

The US series Homeland is regarded as an adaptation of Prisoners of War - the writer of Prisoners of War, Gideon Raff, is even the executive producer of Homeland. However, other than the initial plot of a long-time prisoner of war returning home, and some of the espionage intrigue, there is very little commonality between the stories. I preferred Homeland: plot was tighter and faster-paced.

A Rose Amongst the Thorns

Author: s k from United States
9 May 2015

Hatufim is an exceptional TV program that has heart, soul, and intelligence. The character development is so good that I could even relate to most of the antagonists on some level because Raff created 3 dimensional complex characters and dialogs that are relevant and engaging. He also tackled complex subject matter, like Israeli-Arab relations, bureaucratic oppression, husband-wife-children dynamics, etc., all the while achieving a level of mastery rarely if ever seen on TV. He didn't sugar coat anything; he didn't white wash anything; and the result is one of the best TV programs I've ever seen.

Contrast that with Homeland, and it's night and day. I honestly cannot believe he was the creative force behind both shows. Everything that Hatufim is, Homeland most definitely is not.

Homeland has lousy actors (i.e. Claire Danes has 2 or 3 facial expressions and she either SCREAMS or pouts her lines. And at least 2 of the other actors only have ONE facial expression -- a scowl.)

It has lousy scripts (We're REALLY supposed to believe that a bi-polar psychopath agent is going to BLACKMAIL HER CIA BOSS into giving her the job she wants?!!! REALLY?!!!)

It has lousy dialog (i.e Repeatedly after some tragedy occurs, some actor turns and asks: "Are you OK?" Wow. Riveting stuff there.)

And it has despicable "protagonists" (I've never before rooted as hard as I did for a character to get nuked as I did after Carrie Mathison attempted to drown her own infant daughter.) In Hatufim, I found all the protagonists and anti-heroes engaging, and was even able to relate at some level to the antagonists. In Homeland, I basically wanted all of the PROTAGONISTS to die. And that's never a good thing.). About the only good thing I can say about Homeland is that it turned me onto Hatufim.

Maybe Raff got caught up in the American system or something. I don't know. I just wish he'd stuck with Hatufim and provided more seasons rather than spearheading Homeland. Along those lines I hope there's at least a season 3 somewhere in the cards. The show deserves it. And the fans deserve it.