IMDb > Trespass (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Trespass

Trespass More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

mediocre.....you don't need much brain power to watch this movie!

Author: Ngal-188-118651 from United Kingdom
18 October 2011

I watched this the other day with mixed expectations due to reading the other reviews on here.

Don't bother wasting your time with this movie unless you like typical over acted predictable Hollywood releases.

I found it your typical business man married to a beautiful wife with an equally beautiful teenage daughter living in a beautiful pad. People break in to steal from the rich Family, and things don't exactly go according to plan.

Yes,it has 2 very good actors, but the premise for the movie, home invasion, has been done to death! Bruce Willis in Hostage is one, Kevin Bacon and the beautiful Charlize Theron in Trapped and one that I really enjoyed, Gerard Butler and Pierce Brosnan in Butterfly on a wheel.

If you want to watch a good home invasion movie try the last two and forget about Trespass!

Another stupid Cage and Schumacher movie

Author: Malamut from Bulgaria
17 October 2011

I wanted to see a new thriller expecting something like Panic Room and hopefully something that exceeds it in terms of plot and suspense. Boy, I was wrong. Where do I start ? First, the whole premise is unrealistic and not convincing to say the least. If the character of Cage just had a little sense he will have avoided all the trouble that followed and there would have been no movie. The plot is not really original or intricate. The performances are so so. Cage plays the typical confused character he has played for the last 20 plus years. Nicole Kidman is all right and nice to look at but nothing else. Their daughter gives a solid performance. They were trying to include some references to the recession and its impact on the life of this supposedly wealthy family. For me, it didn't work. I couldn't really relate to any of the characters and did not feel sorry for their misery. If you want to watch a movie with a similar plot, go watch Panic room. Do not waste your time with this one.

Not Necessarily a Bad Film

Author: Jehosaphet from United States
15 October 2011

I've never written a review before but felt compelled in this case due to the overwhelming number of positive reviews for a film that I felt was somewhat surprising in it's mediocrity considering its cast. Nic Cage does a fine job of subduing his performance and avoiding the tics that make him so Nicholas Cagey, but at some points it seems like a detriment. Coupled with the home invaders failure to produce much of a 'menacing' feel, Nic's performance doesn't do much to stem the movie from it's ultimate failure: a lack of intensity. In fairness, it seemed like more of a script issue; his character didn't seem very realistic.

Kidman's hyperventilating hysteria and sobbing pleas almost seem out of place in such a setting and I couldn't help but wish someone would just slap the bajeesus out of her already to quiet her down. She came close to seeming like a cliché but then it dawns on you that her acting would be right on target were the scenes and script properly conveying the direness of the situation she was responding to.

The bad guys were somewhat typical bad guys and although Ben Mendelsohn stood out with some great acting, in some scenes it could do little to conceal the sense that he was just doing his best to negotiate through some awkward dialogue.

The movie wasn't bad, it was just a bit predictable and boring, and watching it plod along, I kept waiting for it to be over so I could do something else. It's not transfixing, so would make for a great background movie while you do crosswords or something.

Fairly paint by numbers - but not half what people say of it!

Author: bananjo from United Kingdom
3 November 2011

As is usually the case when a movie gets bad press, I felt compelled to see it for myself. As a fan of Nicolas Cage and Nicole Kidman, I was also interested to see just how terrible they were.

In actual fact I think the critics have been a little cruel. As other reviewers have commented, this is no groundbreaking piece of work; it's a home invasion story and highlights the lengths people will go to for money (see Panic Room for more details....!). Yes there is a lot of screaming from Nicole and a lot of people saying "run" and no one runs anywhere, but to be fair if I was in their position, I would likely be in a corner papping myself with fear.

It seems that they follow a similar formula to Panic Room, in that the burglars are pretty brutal and one or two of them seem slightly unhinged, but this is clearly a device used to work up tension as they become more panicked and more unpredictable. In a sense I liked this element, which showed something more of the invaders' humanity; their fears and failings.

All in all this is not an amazing film, but nor is it that terrible. It also isn't half as violent as people make out - there is a fair amount of threat but I have seen a lot worse and I am not a fan of violent movies. So 6/10 seems a fair score, although personally I quite enjoyed it - it was easy enough to watch and I was interested enough to keep watching to the end. But maybe that's just me.

Over the top nonsense

Author: don-376 from United Kingdom
17 October 2011

I generally like to seek out films with a favourable IMDb review, yet have not previously reviewed a film myself. It was the relatively high review score that prompted me to "break my duck" (it's a UK expression) because I simply can't believe how this film has got such good reviews. It has the most outrageously over the top acting and ridiculous script that I have seen in such a long time.

Perversely, it's the absurdity that is the only thing line that keeps it from being boring and predictable - you are weirdly compelled to see how silly it can get. Every single character's handling of the situation and dialogue is so unbelievable that it's almost funny . If you thought that Nick Cage was bad in the ridiculous "Wicker Man" remake then this is certainly a close second.

One reviewer called this film "subtle" and I respect all views, but I found this as subtle as a flying mallet. This is sub standard fare even for the limited acting range of Nick Cage, but Nicole Kidman is sadly wasted here and is capable of so much more.

Sometimes "over the top" can make for entertaining escapism, not here. Sorry, I know it different strokes etc, but I thought this was absolutely awful.

Pale

Author: dusan-22 from Serbia
16 October 2011

One of the worst movies of always good Nicol Kidman and Nicolas Cage. Very mediocre movie, pretty slow developing and no tense pace. About all action goes in one place without any changes regarding drama development. Pleas of the tortured and tyranny of the robbers is about what is going on in most of the movie. But dull plot development is not the most surprising thing in this look like five days shot movie. It is an acting of a great actress Nicol Kidman. I have never seen her acting that bad. As a matter a fact, she is bringing the finest charm to every movie but in this one she looks like an actress just taught how to look hysterical most of the time and that goes for most of the scenes with her. So no, I do not hate this movie, I just felt like falling a sleep from time to time which I find very strange considering the synopsis.

What was Kidman thinking?

Author: jashery from USA
5 December 2011

I can't imagine Nicole Kidman agreeing to do this movie. I like Nicolas Cage as well, and I can understand why, as mentioned in your trivia, he was unsure of playing either the role of the husband or the robber in this film. He was probably trying to save his reputation but realized playing either part would be an embarrassment. This is a terrible, terrible movie in every way.

The plot is very weak, and the acting is poor. Throughout the film, we are force fed gratuitous violence.

When choosing to watch a movie that I am unfamiliar with, the actors are usually the deciding factor. After watching this movie, I need to rethink this strategy.

Entjertaining

Author: JenEvans1 from United Kingdom
18 October 2011

This is the kind of film you should choose when you just want to relax and be entertained. It's not an epic but then - come on lets be honest - Nick Cage's films seldom are. However, they are nearly always enjoyable and even though I can never take him too seriously because of his southern drawl (he never really manages to convince that he is desperate or afraid, does he?) this one is still very watchable.

Accent aside, he gives a good solid performance. (Nicole Kidman, on the other hand, turns in a surprisingly weak one.) The plot is pretty standard, very predictable, but I for one enjoyed it right up to the end so in my opinion it delivered.

Strictly for fans of the two Nics.

Author: 3xHCCH from Quezon City, Philippines
10 November 2011

I was curious to watch "Trespass" because of the interesting casting of Nic Cage and Nic Kidman. I was a bit wary about Nic Cage, as his films lately have been a bit on the hammy side. Despite his leery reputation though, it is a wonder that he continues to get a lot of work, but good for him. Another curiosity about this film was the name of Joel Schumacher as director. His was a big name in directing box-office hits in the 80s and 90s. The last of film of his I had seen was when he directed Gerard Butler as "Phantom of the Opera."

"Trespass" turned out to be a film about a family whose beautiful suburban house was intruded upon by a gang of desperate amateur robbers. The robbers were quite violent and brutal the way they treated diamond trader Kyle Miller (Nic Cage), his glamorous wife Sarah (Nic Kidman) and their rebellious young daughter Avery (Liana Liberato). Things got a little more complicated when it was revealed that one of the robbers Jonah (Cam Gigandet) had a psychotic crush on Sarah.

The performances were over the top and unconvincing, both of the victims and the intruders. Nicole Kidman reminded me of her debut performance in "Dead Calm" as the victim of a psycho guy in love with her. However, she definitely loses her subtlety as well as any sexual tension as a victim here. Nicolas Cage was typically florid in his acting. You don't know where from his business background he got his extreme gung-ho bravado in facing these robbers! It was good to see Liana Liberato again after her memorably disturbing debut film "Trust." She had her good moments here. Cam Gigandet was appropriately creepy as the deluded Romeo. Jonah's brother and gang ringleader Elias was well-played by Ben Mendelsohn, whom I just realized was one of the sons in another crime family in "Animal Kingdom."

This was probably one of the noisiest movies set in a single house that I have seen. Everyone was always hysterically screaming and shouting at the top of their lungs. Despite the brutality of the robbers, it was a wonder how the victims also had the guts to stand up to them. The Millers were daringly answering and fighting back in spite of the guns brandished by the bad men in their faces! I must say this whole thing was highly improbable and unrealistic. Watch this at your own risk. Strictly for fans of the two Nics.

review of a bad movie

Author: tcingu4 from United States
6 August 2012

Terrible! Terrible! Terrible! Don't waste your time. Too many parts make no sense. This guy has that kind of security and then lets someone who says they are the police in the front gate without checking? He hides 100k in a construction part of the house, that they are renting? Wouldn't a construction worker find it? He is willing to die for this money, then ends up lighting it on fire? How many times was he shot? Then he is able to stand up and start shooting the nail gun that all of a sudden starts working? There are so many bad parts that make little sense.I found myself having trouble watching almost from the beginning. Poorly written. Poorly directed. Totally unbelievable! This movie must have been written by a 5 year old.....with a crayon.

Page 1 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]