IMDb > Ice Age: Continental Drift (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Ice Age: Continental Drift

Ice Age: Continental Drift More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 14: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

A bit of an improvement over the third, but not nearly as strong as the first

Author: gavin-thelordofthefu-48-460297 from United States
15 February 2013

It's been a long time since I watched the first Ice Age when I was a little kid and only saw the second film in theaters, but not the third because I knew that it was going to be a disappointment. When I watched it, however, I thought it was OK. Then, Blue Sky made yet another Ice Age movie and being a bit of a Ice Age fan, I went to see this with my dad in theaters before Thanksgiving. Later, we had a great time and I think that this is a pretty good sequel. It's not as strong as the original Ice Age, but it's a bit better than Dawn of the Dinosaurs.

Let me start off the bad points of the movie. The story does have some charming moments including the battle between the main characters and the pirates along with the final battle between Manny and Captain Gutt, but it lacks the heart and wit of the original film and has several scenes that are completely rushed. The dialog is very contrived and the minute length could've been a little bit longer.

Now to the good points. The animation is fantastic especially the ice that floats. The character animation is pretty good too with some nice details on the fur. The main characters from the first three films are still as charming. I liked Peaches, but the best character goes to Captain Gutt who is a great villain thanks to Peter Dinklage's performance. Some of the voice work including Ray Romano, Denis Leary, John Leguizamo, Queen Latifah and others are as strong. The music from John Powell is rousing and energetic and the there are some gags that gave me a chuckle or two.

Overall, Ice Age: Continental Drift isn't an excellent sequel, but like I said before, it's marginally better than Dawn of the Dinosaurs. Blue Sky Studios is making another Ice Age and I wish they would've ended the franchise with this installment.

Great fun for the entire family...

Author: Paul Magne Haakonsen from Denmark
4 January 2013

Having seen the first two "Ice Age" movies and enjoyed them, I sat down to watch this one with the family. And I must say that I was thoroughly entertained.

As with the prior movies, the animation in this one was great, and the CGI was really nice to look at and greatly detailed. And the characters in the movie were likable, funny and charismatic, just as in the prior movies.

The story in "Ice Age: Continental Drift" is about our beloved group of friends who are sent out to see after their land is destroyed and broken apart by the forming of the continents. And on their journey to get back home they have a great adventure and meet a myriad of interesting creatures.

The voice acting is great, just as in the prior movies, and they still have some really nice people on the cast list for the various roles, and a good amount of distinctive voices.

For a family animated movie, then "Ice Age: Continental Drift" is a great movie for kids and adults alike, because there is something in this movie for just about anyone. If you enjoy animated movies, then you should be well familiar with the "Ice Age" series by now, if not, then it is not too late to start your acquaintance.

The Ice Age animals are at it again, for family fun.

Author: TxMike from Houston, Tx, USA, Earth
25 December 2012

Scrat has always been a favorite of mine in his short cameos in the other 'Ice Age' movies, it is a nice touch that they made him an ongoing part of the story here. He starts everything off with his obsession for acorns, which first results in the Earth splitting open, and he falls all the way to the rotating core of the Earth. Somehow he manages to reverse the rotation and that results in splitting off of all the continents, "a long, long time ago."

All this causes plate tectonics to shift large sections of the Earth, splitting off families from each other, and most of the story is having them try to find each other again. A new character is introduced, a gnarly old chimp who is a pirate.

All in all a fun story with great voice acting. DVD from my local public library.

Just as good as Ice Age 1 and 3 and better than Ice Age 2

Author: doglover_08 from Australia
10 December 2012

When I was waiting at the cinemas to see this, a lot of young kids and a couple of teachers from a school came in and they were going to see Ice Age 4 as well. Lucky I got my ticket, a box of popcorn and drink before going into see Ice Age 4 before they came in, otherwise the cinema would be packed and I'd have to come back another day. I knew this would be so much better than Ice Age 2 - The Meltdown with all the new characters being in the last Ice Age movie.

I don't know if this is the last Ice Age movie or not, but they should stop on this one. 4 movies is enough. Even though this is rated slightly lower than Ice Age 2 and should deserve a 7, I still think it's better and funnier than number 2 and just as funny as 1 and 3. Some of you may agree with me, some of you may not.

A lot of the new characters were very funny. I knew who did the voices of the main characters in the Ice Age collection. The people who I've heard of who do the voices of some of the characters in Ice Age 4 are Nick Frost, Kunal Nayyar, Nicki Minaj, Rebel Wilson, Peter Dinklage and Jennifer Lopez. They all did a very good job at voicing their characters, especially Nick Frost voicing Flynn.

I thought it would have been longer than 87 minutes, but it was really worth my $13 to go and see it and I'm glad I did see it, otherwise if I didn't see it, I'd just download it or buy it. I highly recommend you to go and see this if you've enjoyed the previous Ice Age movies.

Not the best Ice Age movies

Author: Steven Anthoni from Jakarta
20 October 2012

I have watched this movie. If we compare it to the previous ice age movies, it is a little disappointed because this movie had a little humorous scenes but had a lot of serious scenes. Hmm, I think have many serious scenes was not suitable with ice age because ice age is a funny movies. I wished in this movie, the main character was not Manny's family again. But the fact was Manny's family again, although there were also Sid'family a little bit. If they add Diego scene with the girl, I thought its better, because Diego only has a few scenes. Steve Martino and Mike Thurmeier must have another way to make these movies "come back" in box office.

Ice Age: Continental Drift (2012) - Why is This Franchise Drifting?

Author: nickmesafilms (nickmesafilms@yahoo.com) from United States
4 October 2012

Set as a fourth sequel to the original three Ice Age films, "Continental Drift" reunites the memorable characters of Manny the Mammoth (voiced by Ray Romano), Sid the Sloth (voiced by John Leguizamo), Diego the saber-toothed Tiger (voiced by Denis Leary), and of course, my favorite character, Scrat, the saber-toothed squirrel whose adventures involve him trying to catch his acorn. In this movie, we learn about Pangaea, the continents drifting apart from each other, and we get a little satire, making fun of how Pangaea actually happened. That concept could have led to a fun animated movie that both kids and adults will enjoy. Sadly, I was half-right, it's only for kids! The "Ice Age" franchise is starting to lose their gas after releasing that "Dawn of the Dinosaurs" crap, and there was never no need to make a fourth installment. But, too bad, because Hollywood always loves to make money out of these movies. That just proves that the only reason why these movies keep being made is that they make tons of money. Although the first two movies were good, it was until the third movie's release when the series became a cash-obsessed series. I'm starting to feel bad for all those unlucky parents who spent their money, so they can take their kids to go see this. Because although it was trying to be a family film that everybody can enjoy, it just falls flat and becomes this stupid kid movie, filled with such juvenile humor. I understand that the general audience for these movies are young kids, but the least you could have done is to also make this movie fun for the adults, as well, so they won't have to kill themselves once they leave the theater. This is definitely not one of those times. Although there are some funny chuckles to be found in this movie, although doesn't help the movie for the most part, the rather hilarious scenes in the movie come from Scrat, the cute squirrel trying to find his acorns. The rest of the movie, just a chuckle! We also have a collection of celebrities who appear as the voices of new characters, from Nicki Minaj, Drake, Keke Palmer, Jennifer Lopez, Wanda Sykes, and Peter Dinklage. I just can't begin to think that all these celebrities thought this movie would be nothing but an easy paycheck. The plot was beyond ridiculous, most of the jokes were lame as hell, and the horrendously usual movie clichés were everywhere, from Manny as the over-protective father, the rebellious younger daughter wanting to hang out with the cool kids, the pirate villain wanting revenge on the protagonist for no particular reason, and thousands of love triangle story lines. Are you kidding me? This movie is just a forgettable experience that's not even worth talking about. If anybody has a child in their family, they might enjoy this movie, but this movie is strictly for kids, and if you think adults will like the juvenile humor this movie brings, you know it's going to be bad. It's not funny or entertaining, it just drags on for a couple of hours, goes through plenty of weak gags, one after another, until reaching it's predictable conclusion. This is probably one of the most forgettable movies, and one of the worst movies of the year. But it's not that awful, this is a kids' movie, you know! Yeah, I can be nice! "Ice Age: Continental Drift", in my review, "a generic, mediocre, unfunny, and predictable 'kids-fest'".

Great animation, cute characters, charming....needs to push itself further!

Author: ymeer_maxi
29 September 2012

This is the fourth installment of the Ice Age series. The first made a huge impact, it's heart warming story and characters won millions of hearts. Then came the Ice Age: The Meltdown, which to be quite honest I didn't enjoy that much, then came the third Ice Age : Dawn Of The Dinosaurs which I really enjoyed since it added new characters and I liked the new environment instead of always staying on "Ice" like the first two movies, it was a welcome change. Now we have the fourth movie in the series Ice Age: Continental Drift which retreats back to the first two movies, which by this point is "been there, seen that" scenario.

By now you might have noticed that where do I think Ice Age's downfall is. The Story itself is pretty straight forward and the same scenario / story was already told in Ice Age 2: The Meltdown. Don't know why they decided to do it again instead of adding something new? The characters remain the same as we remember, cute and lovable. The animation looks extremely well done this time around.

By no means is Ice Age : Continental Drift a terrible movie. Is it entertaining? Yes. Does it have a cast of cute characters? Yes. Is the story good? Yes, good enough to keep your attention, but by the end of the day you will realize that it's fairly similar to the first two movies which you have seen before. If there is going to be a fifth installment in the series, they really need to breath new life in the series in order to prevent it from becoming just another pretty looking all style and no substance animation movie.

A Decent Family Film!

Author: SebMModernsII from United Kingdom
7 August 2012

I was at my friend's house on the exactly same night that I was going to see this film. I had the choice of either seeing Dr Suess's: The Lorax, or Ice Age 4: Continental Drift. I was more influenced to choose the latter, from seeing the trailer of Ice Age four approximately ten times already, for the film being shown at an earlier time of the afternoon and for liking the first three Ice Age films that I saw, me, my friend and his mum saw this movie. I thought the film itself and it's characters were funny at times, but there were some hits as well as some misses. My favourite part was the bit with The Grinning Fish who were constantly disguising themselves as female characters to trick The Main Characters. It was so surreal and funny and it was a very strong saving grace to probably the most weakest film of The Ice Age Collection! I take films seriously (Unlike my friend who just gave it a 10/10 as a kid would from their own point of view!) and I thought it was a decent film. (Even though I have only just seen it once from last week.)

Overall Rating: 6/10!

Ice Age 4 is the best in the series!

Author: Anurag-Shetty from India
29 July 2012

Ice Age: Continental Drift continues with the adventures of Manny(Ray Romano), Diego(Denis Leary), Sid(John Leguizamo), Scrat(Chris Wedge), Ellie(Queen Latifah), Crash(Seann William Scott), Eddie(Josh Peck) & Manny & Ellie's teenage daughter Peaches(Keke Palmer). After Scrat chases his beloved acorn around the core of the Earth, causing the continents to crack up, Manny, Diego & Sid are separated from their herd. The trio along with Sid's grandma(Wanda Sykes) come across a pirate ship led by Captain Gutt(Peter Dinklage). Now, it's up to Manny to defeat the pirates & return to his family.

This movie is hilarious! All the new characters are funny. Ray Romano is spectacular as the voice of Manny. Denis Leary is brilliant as the voice of Diego. John Leguizamo is hysterical as the voice of Sid. Queen Latifah is great as the voice of Ellie. Keke Palmer is outstanding as the voice of Peaches. Wanda Sykes is hilarious as the voice of Sid's granny. Peter Dinklage has done a bang up job in altering his voice substantially for his voice over of Captain Gutt. All the supporting characters' voices are brilliant as well. This movie also teaches us a lot of important lessons about life. The 3D is mind blowing & makes the visuals even more beautiful. All in all, Ice Age 4: Continental Drift is a must watch. Watch it with your entire family.

OK... but not the best so far.

Author: ryokan_wc from Malaysia
27 July 2012

The trio is back with the fourth installment- or no? Ice Age 4 revisits Manny, Diego and Sid in an all new adventure with a geological flavour of event- the Continental Drift happening before their very eyes, comically caused by the ever-pursuing Scrat over the acorn. As years have passed, Peaches (Manny and Ellie's daughter mammoth) grows up into a young teen, Sid welcomes his family especially his grandma and Diego finds love in their quest. The Earth plates begin to move, resulting in the trio being separated from the rest of their community. Soon, they face pirates and must work together to survive and reunite with their loved ones. That's about it. Simple, direct and somewhat formulaic.

That's what Ice Age has been doing and the third (Dawn of the Dinosaur) paid well of as it becomes my favourite of this franchise. I particularly enjoyed the first half of the movie- how the Earth or land splits and moves with the graphics a wonder to watch and the hilarious scenes like the trio going through a storm. The ending falls rather flat and short. Unlike the Dawn of the Dinosaur (yes, i'm comparing with the third but i shouldn't), i didn't get the suspense and thrill when watching the climax of events. No doubt, this movie has everything done neat and clean but i personally did not find it memorable.

The characters remain an interesting herd to watch. Manny continues to be grumpy but apart from that, now he becomes a father figure. Sid's craziness and wackiness is one of the strongest points of the show, or franchise to be exact. He never stops to entertain with his awkwardness. And Diego, i guess every man would relate to him- being masculine and tough yet soft on the inside. Peaches and Louis cute friendship. Again, that's just it. I found this movie to lack characterization in the other characters. The granny introduced was a nice addition but sometimes, i find her to be a tad too annoying. The pirates were just pirates playing their roles as villains but nothing further.

This movie is OK may be because i had a high expectation of this movie since the third installment. Hopefully this is not the last of the Ice Age franchise because i am not thoroughly satisfied with an ending as such. Much said, it is still a good watch for a family outing because apart from the comical scenes and adventure, Ice Age 4: Continental Drift does have some values to learn and reminds you that you have each other.