IMDb > Ice Age: Continental Drift (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Ice Age: Continental Drift

Ice Age: Continental Drift More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 14:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Sometimes hilarious yet disappointing ...

Author: Sarah K from Belgium
26 June 2012

For years I have been a huge fan of the Ice Age series and had been expecting this new movie for months! Needless to say I was counting the days until the release of the movie and the hilarious teasers were really making the waiting difficult ...

I saw it tonight and have to admit that I feel really disappointed ... Was I expecting too much ? We were a group of young adults who grew up with the movies, or at least liked them a lot and we felt let down. The storyline feels a little weak, I thought there would be a lot of adventure and action, as in the 3 previous ones where you don't see how time flies ... This one, if not boring, is too simple, not to mention incredibly predictable. There is no twists and turns. When you think about the first episode, yes, you realize how poor the scenario is in this new one.

I admit there's been a real effort to create an original story that might bring the characters in another world and make them live another adventure, different from the previous ones. I think this part is a total failure. Not to mention the "song" they put in the movie, it was nothing but ridiculous and irrelevant, especially for a movie series as famous as Ice Age. I thought it was unnecessary.

But since I laughed a few times and feel really bad about writing such a "negative" review, I have to admit that some of the scenes were absolutely hilarious and the characters have been kept as funny as they used to be, especially Sid (and his incredible grandmother). It's just a pity that the funny parts are so negligible ... You smile a lot, you laugh sometimes, but certainly not during the whole movie.

Maybe I am too old to appreciate this movie as I should have, as I'm sure the kids will love it and the movie will have a lot of success this summer. I don't wish it the contrary, I just watched it with my not-so-kid-anymore-but-very-nostalgic-eyes and went out of the theater with the feeling that something from before was clearly missing ...

Ice Age 1-2-3 were better......Number 4.... yikes!

Author: me31212644 from United States
15 July 2012

It still feels like yesterday when i saw the first Ice Age in theaters, at first i thought it was just a typical kids movie made to entertain kids only leaving adults bored. But after watching the movie, i laughed so hard my blood pressure rose and i just fell in love with the series throughout my childhood! Anytime a new Ice Age was released in theaters, we had to watch it first before any other movie. No matter what was in the film i have always givin a 10/10 for the funny moments.

When Ice age 3 came around, i thought it was going to be the best and the last .. well it was very very good but it wasn't the last. I thought it was the last film because how Buck chose to stay below :( and Scrats new girlfriend Scratte stayed below ground too and how the ending credits was set up.

And now.... here comes Ice Age 4, yay!... not. Anyhoo, i went and saw ice age 4 today getting excited and all. What a drag it was, If you remember watching ice age 1-2-3 and loved how the herd was still the same as they were just the fantastic trio. Well, in number 4, it doesn't seem like an Ice Age to me because of the too many new characters and the unnecessary teenage drama with Ethan, Steffie, and Peaches. It was cool how they added pirates and a girl for Diego (it was about time for that) but the character development was bad.

Remember Crash and Eddie? they was only shown in four scenes out of the whole movie. Ellie wasn't in it much either, nor was Shira! I mainly blame this movie because of the horrible teenage drama, lack of character development, too many unnecessary new characters, and last but not least, drama queens the horrible trios (steffie, Ethan, Megan) being part of the herd instead of the good ones like Buck, Fast Tony, Scratte, and the baby, the classic ones that deserved to be. Not these screw ups.

I feel terrible that this is the first time i gave Ice Age a negative review, but to me, it was the truth. This movie was the worst of the bunch.

Hopefully Ice Age 5 will be better. I hope they bring back all of our favorite characters from the past that we've come to love during the first three adventures, but it seems that the new horrible trios are going to reappear once again to ruin it.(you know who im talking about)

I enjoyed it

Author: quinnaj from Australia
24 June 2012

Attended a packed preview screening yesterday (the film opens here next Thursday)with my wife and 6 year old daughter and must say that if you liked the previous Ice Ages then this one will not disappoint. Kids loved it and plenty there for the adults to relate to and enjoy as well. Animation quality(in 2D)was top notch and story line was good and with plenty of humour and action a plenty. A few of the subplots were educational as well as exploring the values of friendship,loyalty and the like which is probably standard fare for these types of films. As a 47 year old bloke I enjoyed it and would not hesitate in recommending it to anyone but especially for the target audience of young families you can't go wrong.

it was fun, but not the best of the series

Author: lagudafuad from Nigeria
6 July 2012

Ice Age: Continental Drift is funny, and i had fun watching it and looked forward to seeing what this weird herd is up to now.

It is the fourth installment of the Ice Age series and the seventh CG production of Blue Sky Studios and the first sequel not to be directed by Carlos Saldanha who will be directing RIO part 2.

What I love must about this flick is the introduction of a partner for Diego; a white tiger lady is added ladies and gentlemen. The movie also has the whole fun of the old clichés, which I seem not to be tired of seeing. It also showcases cool CG effect; I loved the water effect most.

The plot was educational (as long as you know it is bogus) due to Scrat's (Squirrel) hunt for acorns he triggers the break-up of the world continent into the continents as we know them today, which cause Manny to lose his family.

Manny, Diego, and Sid embark upon another adventure to find his family, after their continent is set adrift. Using an iceberg as a ship, they encounter sea creatures and battle pirates as they explore a new world, and learn why it is good to be part of a family herd, than being part of a group where one person leads and other follow.

Well, the new directors weren't that bad, as the movie did have some fun screenplays and events that you will be thrilled to see. As we watch this creatures move from the Ice Age to the present age the pictures tell stories that are kinda informative and entertaining.

Hey! I must have missed that geography class when they taught that Scrat the squirrel created the whole world.

Although this is not the best addition to the Ice Age series it was fun to watch. And the movie kinda opens doors to new additional sequels.

But I hope Blue Sky won't bother making any more.

Fun for the whole family.

Author: Troy_Campbell from Sydney, Australia
1 July 2012

Although not regarded in the same league as the Pixar and Disney output, the initial three Ice Age instalments collected over $2bn at the worldwide box office. (Rather surprisingly, that's $100m more than the Toy Story trilogy earned.) Posting figures as huge as that means we get treated to another adventure with mammoth Manny (Ray Romano), sabre-tooth tiger Diego (Denis Leary) and silly sloth Sid (John Leguizamo); this time with pirates. Like each episode before it, Ice Age 4 prides itself in offering up goofy laughs and goofier characters, with the ragtag bunch of pirates – led by Peter Dinklage's droll Captain Gutt and assisted by Nick Frost's uproarious elephant seal Flynn – the source of much joy. The old gang don't dissatisfy either: Sid is the standout as usual but Diego gets more laughs than normal and Scrat's little journey is ever-amusing. The serious Manny is still, well, the serious Manny, but you can't win them all. The bucket load of action remains too, however nothing here tops the dinosaur rumbling in part three. Continental Drift is gratifying escapism for the whole family that, despite being the fourth outing for these prehistoric creatures, shows few signs of letting up.

Should have stopped at 3

Author: Catt Jones (cattjones@chixchatonfilm.com) from TX, United States
15 July 2012

Question: How many top entertainers does it take to make an animated film? Answer: Apparently a whole slew of them. I guess the directors of this film thought that the more celebrities, the better the film would be. Not!! But I guess it did make for a pretty decent paycheck. Compared to other animated films of the summer, this one lacks in originality and freshness. I think the lessons that were trying to be conveyed in this film was a little too complicated for the very young crowd that was in the theater with me. The parts of the film that got the most laughs were every time the spotlight was put on Scrat (Chris Wedge). Even in the Ice Age predecessors, he was always the funniest. Maybe it is time for Scrat to get his own film. The young audience did not need dialog they just wanted to laugh. The other character that drew a lot of giggles was Sid (John Leguizamo). Sid along with Granny (Wanda Sykes) was a comedic match made in heaven. I saw an interview that Wanda did and initially she wanted to change her voice to sound older, but the director told her that her voice was perfect for the part. I think that she got a chuckle out of that. I do want to mention Peter Dinklage (Captain Gutt). He seems to be getting a lot of attention since he won a SAG and an Oscar for his portrayal of Tyrion Lannister in Game of Thrones. I have to say that by the end of the film I grew a little weary of Captain Gutt. He was really starting to get on my last nerve. Peaches (Keke Palmer) was a typical teenager that had to deal with peer pressure, parental rules and misguided decision making. The hate/love relationship that built between Diego (Denis Leary) and Shira (Jennifer Lopez) did manage to give the film a little extra punch, but not much. The film wasn't all bad. There were a few laughs; however this franchise has been saturated. I definitely think that it is time to put this one to bed. I think that very young viewers will appreciate the animation and maybe pre-teens will get the message, but this film was not designed to do both. All that being said, I am going to have to give this film a mammoth amber light.

Keeps the series going strong!

Author: DJKwa from Australia
24 June 2012

Fantastic film! As a fan of the series, i was a bit skeptical that they were taking it too far however, if this film is any indication, the series is as strong as ever! You feel comfortable returning to the characters for another adventure and i don't see fans of the series being disappointed. The film is fast and fun and carries excellent messages of the importance of family and the importance of being yourself. A bunch of new characters freshen up the film, with a band of pirates, including a love interest for Diego and Sid is accompanied by his grandmother who is humorously oblivious to the dangerous situations the characters get into. Scrat also gets plenty of time chasing his elusive acorn, with the footage that was released as part of advertisements (Scrat's Continental Crack-Up)comprising in the film. However, there is also a hilarious scene at the end where he finally reaches the treasure island that the map on the acorn (seen in the advertisements) leads to.

A great, fun, family film that boasts crisp and detailed animation that actually makes great use of 3D. Definitely recommended!

*The short film that precedes the film, 'The Longest Daycare'- a Simpsons short, is a pleasant addition to the main film. It is a silent short that features Maggie Simpson and Baby Gerald, where Maggie tries to save a butterfly from the daycare from the clutches of the baby. It is clever and fun and it is great to see more films having original shorts like Pixar's fantastic ones.

What were they thinking??? only if they were thinking

Author: TGblight (TGblight@hotmail.com) from Mexico
13 July 2012

OMG what did i saw???, this was a terrible movie, it has the most stupid idea for an ice age movie ever i mean just think about it for a second, if i say "hey lets see the new ice age movie" ¿what is the first thing that you think of?.....well if your answer was not pirates,teen mammoths, terrible jokes (not that the other ones form before were good), a pointless story and horrible new characters then this is not the movie for you, i mean it when i say "STAY AWAY FROM IT" don't see it if you have children take them to other place or other movie but please don't see this one, just a little example of how bad it is imagine the kind of things you do to make a baby laugh mixed with stupid teen jokes mixed with terrible pirate jokes the result is this horrible movie i gave it one star just to let you know how much i hated it and not just me, everyone in the theater was complaining about it but it deserves less than that

Ice Age 4-A worthy sequel

Author: xboy614 from New Zealand
5 July 2012

I loved Ice Age the first one to death when I first watched it. I own it and every once and awhile I go to my DVD cupboard and pick it up and watch it. I disliked the sequel, Ice Age: Meltdown. The second sequel i hated too. They added new characters and I missed the chemistry and the funny lines that happened between just Sid the sloth, Manny and Diego the sabre tooth tiger. They added new characters which were sometimes funny but I missed the same three from the first one. In this third sequel the team must have realized this by splitting Sid, Manny and Diego with Sid's funny, odd grandma sloth away from the others on a race to get back to the herd and to get rid of these pirates. The pirates are entertaining as ever and very funny, the monkey played by Peter Dinklage is really good and the main plot flies along at a terrific pace. The jokes are fresh (most of them) and funny and you can't help liking this film. The side plots can get a bit cliché but I ignored them.

A Definite Decline In The Series' Quality

Author: sddavis63 (revsdd@gmail.com) from Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada
15 July 2012

As with most sequels, the quality of the Ice Age movies is definitely regressing. I've enjoyed the others in the series (well, actually, I haven't seen The Meltdown, but I've seen the original and Dawn of the Dinosaurs) but I found Continental Drift to be disappointing in comparison. The animation is good as always, but there's too much in this that's too similar to what we've seen before (and, frankly, Scrat the sabre-toothed squirrel is getting tired and boring; same sub-plot every single time.)

In Continental Drift the original content came across to me as silly and overdone. As the land begins to drift apart (quite suddenly) Manny, Sid and Diego are trapped on a floating block of ice, desperately trying to get back to their "herd." Then they spend basically the entire movie fighting a gang of pirates led by a primate named Captain Gutt. This battle goes on and on and on. It makes for a movie that's a little bit (well, a lot) more violent than the other Ice Age movies and while there are some humorous moments (largely revolving around Sid's grandma) it didn't seem to me to have the fun of the other movies in the series that I've seen.

In fairness, my daughter's 8. She says she liked it. I can't disagree with that, so if the target audience is kids, then this is OK. It's just that the previous Ice Age movies seemed to have something for people of all ages to enjoy. This one was lacking that. (4/10)

Page 1 of 14:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]