IMDb > Mirror Mirror (2012/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Mirror Mirror

Mirror Mirror More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 20: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

A Fairytale Twist With Perfect Characters

Author: Druiid from Canada
18 September 2012

Mirror Mirror was a wonderful re-telling of an old classic, with a new twist. Humorous and comical, but serious in some parts, with those heart felt moments.

I think Lily Collins was the perfect choice as Snow White. She has this beauty that was perfect for Snow White, and the way she played Snow White, I don't think there was anyone who could have done it better. The way she moved, spoke, and acted, was perfect for the role.

Julia Roberts stole the show, no matter how well Lily Collins played her role. In her huge, obnoxious dresses, and her high, snotty voice, those eye-rolling moments, and the flick-of-the-finger scenes, she dominated the screen, keeping everyone entertained. They couldn't have picked a better person to pull off a queen such as herself! The Prince was comical and funny. Had me laughing a lot, with his dense personality, but his honesty. He was the opposite from most of the other princes, that all seem to be, well, Prince Charming. It added to the story, how he was different.

The dwarfs were hilarious, and comical, but they had a side to them that could be connected to, a soft spot.

I believe that this movie was amazing, done extremely well, despite what others say about it. Everyone has their own different opinion, and for those who enjoy a good comedy and a laugh-out-loud movie, along with a twist of a fairytale, I would say that this one is the one for them.

Well Worth Watching

Author: weisweaver2 from Salton City, CA
4 September 2012

This is not normally the type of movie I enjoy, but I watched this with my family and am very glad I did. There is little foul language, sexual content, or violence...and what there is isn't graphic. I do not recommend for young children as the costumes & scenery are somewhat bizarre and may lead to bad dreams. The costumes were fun (and strange), the storyline is very different from any version of Snow White we've seen, the acting was at minimum acceptable and some characters were exceptional. It was wonderful seeing Julia Roberts in a role she excelled at but was not the dominant role in the movie. My family rarely agrees on movies and we all thought this one was just plain fun.

Snow White is suddenly in high demand.

Author: lewiskendell from United States
20 August 2012

"And the queen realized if she wanted to remain the most beautiful in all the land, Snow would have to do what snow does best. Snow would have to fall."

I just didn't have very high expectations for Mirror Mirror. Lily Collins is a pretty little thing (and a good modern Snow White, it turns out) and Tarsem Singh's movies are always worth seeing for the visuals, if nothing else. However, early previews and trailers made this seem bland and not nearly as "guy-friendly" as the darker and impressively cast Snow White and the Huntsman. I'm pleased to say, though, that I enjoyed watching this whimsical comedy/fantasy.

It's fairly light-hearted, with frequent moments of humor and a story that's family-friendly. The basics of the Snow White fairy tale are present: there's a wicked (well, selfish, vain and mean might better words) queen/step-mother, a dashing prince (Arnie Hammer in a role that shows he has a flair for comedy), a poisoned apple, seven dwarfs, a magic mirror, and the beautiful and innocent Snow herself. I thought the cast worked well together, and there's a surprise waiting for those who don't look too closely at the cast list before watching the movie

The sets and costumes are as interesting and eye-catching as you'd probably expect. Tarsem, along with Wes Anderson, are two of today's directors that absolutely know how to enhance a movie through distinctive eye candy.

Mirror Mirror isn't a movie that takes itself too seriously. This isn't an epic, dark retelling of the classic tale, but it is a pretty and moderately fun flick to sit down and watch with the family. I wouldn't be surprised if the cast and crew had a good time making it, and there's a good chance you may feel the same way after watching it.

Delightful

Author: sam_giroux from Boonville, MO
17 August 2012

I rented this movie out of a Redbox at the request of my 6 year old daughter. I noticed Julia Roberts was in it, so I thought it might have some potential. Yet, I expected a drippy retelling of the same old, same old. I was pleasantly surprised by the wit and humor in the film that kept the whole family laughing the entire movie. It is a movie that I will definitely add to my collection. To the "professional" critics out there...try again. Not every good movie needs to be a thought provoking artistic masterpiece. Trust me, my daughter would not like The Piano, or The Artist, but she loved this movie. It has a wonderfully strong lead in Lily Collins and had the right mix of self-perseverance and magic.

Flat Humor Isn't Aided By Identity Crisis

Author: Joshua Mitchell from Here
12 August 2012

Mirror Mirror has a serious identity crisis. What is it, exactly? A parody of the Snow White tale, a modern adaption of the story, a comedy, a drama, a typical triangle romance, etc. Mirror Mirror never truly nails a feel or even a genre, making it feel like a jumbled mess of ideas and thoughts that no one bothered to sort out to make it seem cohesive.

The (curiously un-named) Queen has selfishly ruled the (once again, un- named) kingdom as her own, though it is rightfully Snow White's. Making life miserable for everyone, The Queen issues heavy taxes and outrageous laws to make everything convenient for her. Snow White, however, wishes to do away with The Queen, and restore the kingdom back to the way it was when her late father was king. Through a crazy (and convenient) series of events, both The Queen and Snow White attempt to win the hand of Prince Alcott for their own goals and reasons (love, being rich, etc.).

The 7 Dwarfs also get worked into this, but they've been given new names and personalities (or, lack of), and it's unlikely that anyone will ever label them as "cute."

This new take on the Snow White tale is so unlike the story we know and love, one wonders why the makers even bothered to make this a supposed "adaption" of the fairy tale. Many of the elements from the story, such as the poisonous apple, are so incredibly forced. The apple that I just mentioned doesn't appear until the very, very end, and it's apparent that it was only added to make the story similar to the Snow White tale.

Other liberties have been taken too, and the end result really doesn't feel like the Snow White tale at all.

At the very beginning of the film, it seems Mirror Mirror may be a mockery of the classic tale, but it quickly seems to be a modern revision of it. It gets many, many genre changes as the film goes by. It almost becomes a kind of game to see how many different varieties of films it's trying to be.

This genre confusion is somewhat disorienting at times. For the most part, Mirror Mirror feels like a comedy (though laughs are a little scarce), but some scenes are so absurdly serious for the kind of film it's generally presented as (though I suppose what exactly it IS presented as is anyone's guess) that at times, it feels more like a cheesy romance.

Still, the visuals do shine. While the costumes are often ridiculous (some unintentionally so), they can be quite stunning, if not always on purpose. Most of the special effects are good, the set pieces in general are quite attractive and colorful. The woods, however, in which a good portion of the film occurs, look very cheap. It's painfully obvious where the set meets the painted backgrounds.

The Queen is the only inspired part of the film, aside from the visuals, and even she isn't always entertaining. Some of her quips are amusing, while others aren't so much. There are many attempts at humor, and while some may evoke smiles (or laughter at it's higher points), much of the humor falls flat.

Actually, there is some jokes that are a little off color. At a glance, it's all innocent, but taken out of context, there are several gags that feel a bit risqué. The Prince accidentally given "puppy love" magic and licks people's faces, the servant that turns into a cockroach later is said to have been "taken advantage of by a grasshopper," etc. It's gags like these that will indoubtedly raise the eyebrows of more than a few parents.

Julia Roberts does a over the top performance as The Queen, and ends up being the highlight of the movie. The other actors, however, don't fare quite as well. Lily Collins and Armie Hammer as Snow White and Prince Alcott respectively are often cheesy, or else wooden. The acting feels un-natural, and often clunky. Other cast members fare more or less the same. Nathan Lane as the bumbling Brighton performs a bit better, though his performance is by no means memorable.

The score, composed by Alan Menken, is actually one his better scores in the last several years. It's light and fun, though there are times when it doesn't seem to have much to do.

Mirror Mirror is perfect entertainment for younger children (if you don't mind a couple questionable jokes), but for adults and teens, Mirror Mirror has little to offer. Some laughs and pretty visuals won't compensate for clunky acting, genre clashes, and frequently flat humor. Mirror Mirror will probably be remembered as little more than trippy version of Snow White, or even more likely, won't be remembered at all.

A beautifully light-hearted comedy family film that is definitely worth-watching

Author: gavin-thelordofthefu-48-460297 from United States
5 August 2012

I regretted not seeing this in theaters along with other films during this year until a few days ago, when I was at my aunt's house with my cousins while my mom and stepfather were away, I watched this on demand on TV with them, although I do had low expectations. However, when I was given a few chuckles throughout the entire film, I was immediately impressed at this film and like Mr. Popper's Penguins last year, I think that this is a great comedy family movie for others to watch.

The concept takes the original story from the Grim fairytale and turned it into a light-hearted comedy and a tale about misfits, outcasts and love and it works really well. The characters are likable and are helped by a great cast. Lily Collins did great as Snow White and I like the way she attempts to complete her two tasks she even out-rivals Kristen Stewart in Snow White & The Huntsman (I never saw it yet, but will watch it on DVD someday). Armie Hammer also did good as Prince Alcott, Nathan Lane did great as the hilarious, yet sympathetic servant to the queen named Brighton, Sean Bean was great near the end as the king (although he should've gotten more lines. Fail!) and the seven dwarfs great so hilarious they made me laughing my head off and I like the comedic moments and interactions between them and Snow White. In fact, the main character is well-developed throughout the movie. Only one actress steals the show, however, and that woman is Julia Roberts. She nailed the role of the evil queen really well and the comedic moments with her gave me a few chuckles. The dialog is clever and witty, the pacing is never too slow for itself, and the cinematography is beautifully-crafted. Even the music from Alan Menken (the great composer for some of Disney's classics) was cute and pretty to listen to.

There are two things that prevented me for giving this a ten out of ten. The scene where Snow White's father the king is brought back to life, was unexplained(where has the king gone to? Was he dead or something?) and the song in the end of the movie I Believe (In Love) was out of place, but those flaws did not prevent this great movie from being more watchable and is way better than what the critics had said. Go watch it! It is that good!

Looks Gorgeous

Author: Brett Donald from Sydney, Australia
2 December 2013

Wow! How do they make it look so good? What a pity I missed it on the cinema screen, because a big TV just doesn't do it justice, much less a smart phone. The sets and locations are amazing, especially the trees in the snow-covered forest! And the costumes are out of this world … they must have blown half the budget on them. So, it's an absolute visual feast. And it is a fairytale, after all.

But there's plenty more to enjoy about this: innovative action sequences, plenty of corny humour mixed with slapstick, and a sweet heroine who is both smart and strong, and with the most incredible eyebrows!

Don't buy a Blu-ray

Author: Zee from United Kingdom
20 November 2013

Put it on for my son who end up sleeping. I tried not to sleep to watch the whole movie. Horrible Acting by Julia Roberts. Snow White can be more prettier then the actress chosen to be in this movie. Disney Snow White animation is better movie then this Mirror Mirror. It is fun if you are watching with your kids or family. Movie cannot keep you on your Seat. You do not need to even pause the movie to go and use the toilet. Its a very slow moving movie with a long length. This is another of those fail newer version of a Disney story e.g. Ever After: A Cinderella Story (which was a nice movie with a Twist). My 9yr old decided today that he doesn't want to finish this movie anymore.

Could have been more, but wasn't.

Author: mysticnox from United States
23 September 2013

Generally I like Julia Roberts.

So the first thing that I notice is that she is narrating the movie and has these little annoying "asides" as though she's speaking to the audience.

The next thing I notice is that the girl they have as Snow White has the bushiest eye brows I've ever seen on a woman. I'm surprised they aren't a unibrow.

And the whole thing just goes down hill from there.

Julia Roberts is a good actress. Why she chose to take this role is beyond me.

Waste of talent. Hopefully Armie can redeem himself in Lone Ranger.

Author: ltc0928 from United States
29 December 2012

From the very beginning of the movie, I was already becoming unimpressed. The animation CGI was just plain weird, and Julia Robert's "comedic" one liners weren't funny at all. Don't get me wrong - I absolutely love Julia Roberts, but I'll admit, as other reviewers stated, that she was not meant for this role. She's too sweet and kind and, frankly, it didn't work well.

When she found out her right-hand man lied to her about killing Snow, it was as if it was no big deal. I'd expect her to send someone out to kill her immediately, for her to be in a rampage.... something, but she just left this major problem on her hands, as if Snow wouldn't come back and try to defeat her.

Probably the biggest issue I had with this movie was the dialogue. I guess trying to stretch the movie past an hour and a half was the reason for all the "filler" dialogue. There were times in the movie where the dwarfs would go back and forth, bickering, when it just wasn't necessary. Then the kiss. It took them forever to realize "true love's kiss will break the spell" and took about five minutes for her to finally kiss the guy. I mean, kiss him and move on.

Also, what was up with that goodbye letter? She says she's leaving - for a stupid reason, in my opinion - and when they proceed to go after her she's... still there? Just another way to stretch the movie out.

And the production design. It was... weird. I didn't like the way the Queen got to her magic mirror and the CGI looked out of place, in my opinion.

The "battle" scene. Weak. And I thought Snow was really stupid for thinking she could destroy the beast on her own. Seriously? I hate it when these dumb girls in these movies (cough - Kristen in Eclipse - cough) think they can go out and play the hero. If you're going against someone or something bigger, stronger and scarier than you, you're probably going to need some help. Let the dwarfs and the Prince help you defeat the Beast.

There are three good things I'll say about the movie. Lilly Collins is just so pretty to look at, Armie Hammer's face <3 and the cute dwarf who had a serious crush on Snow White; haha, he was funny - but the rest of the movie was not. They tried and failed.

I understand this movie was really geared toward children, but I don't even think my seven year old niece would enjoy this. To be honest, it was kinda boring.

Oh, and the credits. I don't understand the Bollywood song at the end. I just don't understand why that happened.